Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Tierney leaving Princeton for Denver

Posted by Al DeFlorio 
Tierney leaving Princeton for Denver
Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: June 08, 2009 06:05PM

I checked to see if it were April 1 but it really is June.

[blogs.insidelacrosse.com]

Re: Tierney leaving Princeton for Denver
Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 08, 2009 06:48PM

Wow

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 08, 2009 06:51PM

DeltaOne81
Wow

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.lightspeed.nrwlct.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 08, 2009 07:53PM

Al DeFlorio

?!?!?

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: June 08, 2009 08:36PM

I guess he got tired of losing to us, so he headed about as far from Ithaca (lax wise) as you can get :-D

Date: June 08, 2009 10:01PM

Chris '03
Al DeFlorio

?!?!?
Struck me at first like an April Fool's headline in the Daily Sun. Then I realized it wasn't April 1. Capisce?

Posted by: RichH (---.client.stsn.net)
Date: June 08, 2009 10:26PM

Al DeFlorio
Chris '03
Al DeFlorio

?!?!?
Struck me at first like an April Fool's headline in the Daily Sun. Then I realized it wasn't April 1. Capisce?

I think Chris was just expressing shock and confusion wordlessly.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2009 10:27PM by RichH.

Date: June 08, 2009 11:14PM

RichH
Al DeFlorio
Chris '03
Al DeFlorio

?!?!?

Got it. My reaction as well. Never woulda thunk it.

General feeling is Tierney's assistant (Metzbower?) will get the Princeton job. Wonder if he's a screamer, too.

Date: June 08, 2009 11:26PM

Tierney interview here on Inside Lacrosse: [blogs.insidelacrosse.com]

One of the comments speculates that the move was to set up Tierney's son Trevor, who will be his assistant coach, for the Denver head coaching job when Tierney retires.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.60.172.18.ded.snet.net)
Date: June 09, 2009 09:52AM

RichH
Al DeFlorio
Chris '03
Al DeFlorio

?!?!?

That's about it. My initial reaction was "April Fools?" but Al already took that one so I was left with just wordless shock and confusion.

Posted by: ugarte (---.z75-46-65.customer.algx.net)
Date: June 09, 2009 10:22AM

My big fear is that the program will slip and it will be even harder for Cornell to post a solid SOS. Other than that, I'm not upset that it just got easier for Cornell to get the AQ.

Date: June 09, 2009 10:43AM

ugarte
My big fear is that the program will slip and it will be even harder for Cornell to post a solid SOS. Other than that, I'm not upset that it just got easier for Cornell to get the AQ.

At least in the short term, Brown and Harvard are on the rise and PU is well stocked with talent.

Of course, regardless of PU's fortune, it already got harder to get the AQ with the Ivy playoff coming into play next year. A weakened conference with two additional games is not what the league had in mind...

Date: June 09, 2009 12:08PM

Chris '03
ugarte

At least in the short term, Brown and Harvard are on the rise and PU is well stocked with talent.

Of course, regardless of PU's fortune, it already got harder to get the AQ with the Ivy playoff coming into play next year. A weakened conference with two additional games is not what the league had in mind...
I thought the playoff was just for shits and giggles. Doesn't the regular season winner still get the AQ?

Date: June 09, 2009 12:39PM

ugarte
Chris '03
ugarte

I thought the playoff was just for shits and giggles. Doesn't the regular season winner still get the AQ?

Regular season= Ivy Champ
Playoff= AQ

Posted by: profudge (---.bluebird.ibm.com)
Date: June 09, 2009 02:18PM

Tierney leaves Princeton for Denver
Ithaca Journal article:

What happens to their recruiting?
Posted by: TimV (---.amc.edu)
Date: June 09, 2009 03:09PM

Tierney will probably be replaced by Metzblower, but Princeton's rise to dynasty status had more than a little to do with getting so many Blue Chips, especially out of the MIAA. Will that pipeline stay open? It's even possible some current recruits or players would transfer. Probably unlikely Princeton to Denver, but how about to Harvard, or um....us?

Re: What happens to their recruiting?
Posted by: ben03 (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: June 09, 2009 04:40PM

TimV
Tierney will probably be replaced by Metzblower, but Princeton's rise to dynasty status had more than a little to do with getting so many Blue Chips, especially out of the MIAA. Will that pipeline stay open? It's even possible some current recruits or players would transfer. Probably unlikely Princeton to Denver, but how about to Harvard, or um....us?

so we all know the transfer rules for an active D1 player ... but how do these rules apply to kids who has only committed to a school but have yet to enroll and/or dress? do they have to be released (by in this case P'ton) or are they free to go?

Date: June 09, 2009 05:02PM

TimV
It's even possible some current recruits or players would transfer. Probably unlikely Princeton to Denver, but how about to Harvard, or um....us?
They'd have to convert The Chapter House into an Eating Club.whistle

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: June 09, 2009 05:07PM

ben03
TimV

so we all know the transfer rules for an active D1 player ... but how do these rules apply to kids who has only committed to a school but have yet to enroll and/or dress? do they have to be released (by in this case P'ton) or are they free to go?
I think (but don't have a source to back it up) incoming recruits are free to go in this situation. At this point they've never practiced with the team or even enrolled at the school.

Date: June 09, 2009 06:29PM

Josh '99
ben03
TimV

I think (but don't have a source to back it up) incoming recruits are free to go in this situation. At this point they've never practiced with the team or even enrolled at the school.

yeah that was my thought as well but i had nothing to back it up either.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: June 09, 2009 10:18PM

This is truly shocking, although I suspect there's more to this than meets the eye. If Tierney wanted, no doubt he could have hired his son as an assistant at Princeton. Denver is an attractive place, but DU doesn't have the potential of, say, a California or Texas school. It will be interesting to see what he can accomplish.

Posted by: KenP (---.nws.noaa.gov)
Date: June 10, 2009 09:07AM

Did anyone else notice this in the IJ article?

The Pioneers are switching leagues in 2010, joining the ECAC.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 10, 2009 09:27AM

KenP
Did anyone else notice this in the IJ article?

The Pioneers are switching leagues in 2010, joining the ECAC.
Along with 4 other teams. That doesn't really affect us much; we aren't in the ECAC in lacrosse.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: June 10, 2009 10:16AM

Swampy
This is truly shocking, although I suspect there's more to this than meets the eye. If Tierney wanted, no doubt he could have hired his son as an assistant at Princeton.
True, but as the original article points out, Tierney has other family members out west - another son living in Portland, a daughter coaching at Berkeley, his mother living in Arizona. It doesn't seem outside the realm of possibility that he might be moving to be closer to them as well. Also, guessing based on Bill's age, Trevor might have kids in school in Colorado, making a move to NJ to coach together a less appealing option.

Date: June 10, 2009 12:14PM

Josh '99
Swampy
This is truly shocking, although I suspect there's more to this than meets the eye. If Tierney wanted, no doubt he could have hired his son as an assistant at Princeton.
True, but as the original article points out, Tierney has other family members out west - another son living in Portland, a daughter coaching at Berkeley, his mother living in Arizona. It doesn't seem outside the realm of possibility that he might be moving to be closer to them as well. Also, guessing based on Bill's age, Trevor might have kids in school in Colorado, making a move to NJ to coach together a less appealing option.
It also may have been harder for Tierney to negotiate his son a position as heir apparent at Princeton not to mention the real knife in the back it would have been to a long time assistant in line for the promotion. If his top assistant is expected to get the job, that is probably an outcome that Tierney favors as well.

Posted by: TimV (---.amc.edu)
Date: June 10, 2009 12:18PM

I love that the Eastern College Athletic Conference now includes 2 teams from Colorado, one from Ohio, and one from Kentucky.

Hey- Will some of these want to join the ECAC for a little....HOCKEY???dribble

Posted by: mnagowski (---.allfirst.com)
Date: June 10, 2009 12:18PM

They'd have to convert The Chapter House into an Eating Club.

No thank you.

Date: June 10, 2009 03:31PM

Swampy
If Tierney wanted, no doubt he could have hired his son as an assistant at Princeton.
But, with longtime Tierney assistant Metzbower at Princeton, succession would have been a more complex issue.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: June 10, 2009 04:06PM

ben03

Do you? ;)

In lacrosse, as long as both coaches agree, transfers don't have to sit out at all. I guess that decision would fall to whomever replaces Tierney. They could be a dick about it and make them sit out a year, but I would think given the circumstances, even a current player would be allowed to transfer and play, especially if they go to a different league. If they wanted to transfer to another Ivy, the coach might be more reluctant to give the new team an immediate advantage that could come back to bite Princeton, but it seems to be rare that they force the sit-out.

Date: June 10, 2009 04:20PM

CowbellGuy
ben03

Do you? ;)

In lacrosse, as long as both coaches agree, transfers don't have to sit out at all. I guess that decision would fall to whomever replaces Tierney. They could be a dick about it and make them sit out a year, but I would think given the circumstances, even a current player would be allowed to transfer and play, especially if they go to a different league. If they wanted to transfer to another Ivy, the coach might be more reluctant to give the new team an immediate advantage that could come back to bite Princeton, but it seems to be rare that they force the sit-out.
Thanks for this. I was pretty sure that the draconian transfer rules only applied to the "big" sports but was too lazy to do the research and have been asking too many questions that would force other people to do it for me lately.

Date: June 10, 2009 04:31PM

To my understanding, it's the other way around, in that only lacrosse has this exception, but I'm too lazy to find out if that's true. ;)

Date: June 10, 2009 05:03PM

John Morris, Senior Associate Athletic Director - Compliance, University of Washington
Transfer Rule: In most cases, a student-athlete who transfers from one NCAA institution to another is permitted to practice and receive athletics aid immediately at the second institution. As a general rule, the transfer student is required to serve an "academic year-in-residence" at the second institution prior to competing. However, several exceptions to the transfer rule exist that enable a student-athlete to be immediately eligible for competition at the second institution.

The most commonly used exception is known as the "one-time transfer exception." As the name suggests, this exception allows a student-athlete to transfer from one NCAA institution to another on one occasion and be immediately eligible for competition. Certain conditions must be met to use this exception, including: (1) the student-athlete must have been in good academic standing and academically eligible for competition at the previous institution; (2) the previous institution must grant the student-athlete written permission to use of the exception; and (3) the student-athlete cannot have transferred previously from a four-year institution. [[i]Note: In Division I, the one-time transfer exception is not available if the student-athlete wishes to participate in basketball, men's ice hockey or Division I-A football at the second institution.[/i]]

Source:pdf; Date Unknown.

As of last year, the exemption is no longer available for baseball either.

NCAA transfer guide pdf

I should have just done the research myself in the first place.

Date: June 10, 2009 05:49PM

i'm gonna go with wtf

thanks for clearing that one up ...

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: June 10, 2009 07:51PM

TimV
I love that the Eastern College Athletic Conference now includes 2 teams from Colorado, one from Ohio, and one from Kentucky.
No worse than the ECHL with its teams frmo Alaska, California and Idaho.

Date: June 10, 2009 07:59PM

KeithK
TimV
The Atlanta Braves used to be in the NL West.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: June 10, 2009 08:59PM

Al DeFlorio
KeithK
TimV
The Atlanta Braves used to be in the NL West.
And the Falcons in the NFC West and the Cardinals in the NFC East. We could go on and on.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 10, 2009 09:05PM

mnagowski

No thank you.
The Chapter House would be a whole lot better with *some* food that isn't nasty popcorn. Well, to be fair, it's slightly less nasty than the popcorn at Dunbar's.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: June 10, 2009 09:28PM

Josh '99
Swampy

True, and maybe if he plans on driving to see them -- or vice versa -- being in Colorado is a big advantage. On the other hand, I'm pretty sure if he were to drive from Princeton to Kennedy he'd be able to get non-stops to SFO or Oakland, Portland, or Phoenix, whereas from Denver he might have to change planes. I'm not sure exactly how big an advantage Colorado is if he's flying. The West is much bigger than the East.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: June 10, 2009 11:08PM

Kyle Rose
The Chapter House would be a whole lot better with *some* food that isn't nasty popcorn. Well, to be fair, it's slightly less nasty than the popcorn at Dunbar's.

Clearly Pep is waiting to clean the popcorn machine until we win another national championship.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: June 11, 2009 09:51AM

KeithK
TimV

At least since the merger the E doesn't stand for East anymore. It just stands for... E.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: June 11, 2009 01:28PM

Swampy
Josh '99
Swampy

True, and maybe if he plans on driving to see them -- or vice versa -- being in Colorado is a big advantage. On the other hand, I'm pretty sure if he were to drive from Princeton to Kennedy he'd be able to get non-stops to SFO or Oakland, Portland, or Phoenix, whereas from Denver he might have to change planes. I'm not sure exactly how big an advantage Colorado is if he's flying. The West is much bigger than the East.

Denver is a United hub. Getting a non-stop to there from NYC should be easy.

Date: June 11, 2009 02:34PM

Jeff Hopkins '82

I wouldn't call anything involving United easy. At least not if you value things such as luggage and getting to your destination.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: June 11, 2009 03:49PM

CowbellGuy
Jeff Hopkins '82

I wouldn't call anything involving United easy. At least not if you value things such as luggage and getting to your destination.

I didn't say getting there was easy. I said getting a non-stop was easy. wtf

Date: June 12, 2009 12:40AM

Chris '03
KeithK
TimV

At least since the merger the E doesn't stand for East anymore. It just stands for... E.
ECHL: The Harry S Truman of minor league hockey.

Date: June 12, 2009 12:41AM

jtwcornell91
Kyle Rose

Clearly Pep is waiting to clean the popcorn machine until we win another national championship.
You're implying that the popcorn machine in Dunbar's needs to be cleaned. I'm not sure I like your tone. :-}

Or maybe the appropriate smiley was: popcorn

Date: June 12, 2009 12:44AM

TimV
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that Denver isn't jumping ship from the WCHA to come play in the ECAC.

Date: June 12, 2009 04:02AM

Josh '99
TimV
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that Denver isn't jumping ship from the WCHA to come play in the ECAC.

That would totally ruin the travel-partner relationship, but again...IF UNION WERE TO BE KICKED THE HELL BACK TO D3...RPI could partner with Colgate, and Cornell would be happy to pair with Denver, being the two most western schools in the league. I'd bet Cornell's Saturday home winning percentage would be terrific.

Date: June 12, 2009 04:10AM

Kyle Rose
mnagowski

No thank you.

Frankly, as far as bar popcorn goes, Chapter House has pretty great (and to me, addictive) popcorn. Anecdote: Remember this year when Princeton (the hockey team) thought it would be smart to stay in Hamilton Friday night and then their bus broke down Saturday and we all got to pick our butts for 2 hours while waiting for them to show up? Even though their band had a perfectly good bus and their band had no problem making it to Lynah by 7 pm? Aaaaanyway...a couple of us heard about the delay and went to Chapter House instead and there was a dude there who told us that he was the guy who provided the bar with their popcorn. So locally produced and all.

Now there was something about Tierney in this thread, what?

Date: June 12, 2009 02:00PM

here's a LaxPower podcast discussing the Tierney move out west to DU:

[www.laxpower.com]

enjoy!

Posted by: TimV (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: June 12, 2009 07:43PM

Jeez- they were saying so many nice things about him I thought he was dead and I was at the funeral.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: June 13, 2009 04:52PM

The West will rise. Eventually the lacrosse top teams will include Stanford and USC and Washington. Tierney's move to Denver accelerates (jump starts?) the trend from club lacrosse, fooling around lacrosse out West to something way more serious. Denver and Air Force play serious lacrosse but not many other teams. This is great for lacrosse, not so great for Cornell being competitive. Just as in hockey as the sport spreads.

If Metzbower takes over at Princeton, is it possible the Tigers do BETTER under him? Tierney built the Princeton dynasty but others can carry it on.

Assuming the rumors were true about who was being courted - Mike Pressler of Bryant / ex-Duke, Richie Meade at Navy, Jim Nagle at Colgate - you wonder why Denver didn't go after Jeff Tambroni. Let's hope it's because Tambroni is happy in Ithaca no matter who comes calling.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 13, 2009 06:26PM

billhoward
Assuming the rumors were true about who was being courted - Mike Pressler of Bryant / ex-Duke, Richie Meade at Navy, Jim Nagle at Colgate - you wonder why Denver didn't go after Jeff Tambroni. Let's hope it's because Tambroni is happy in Ithaca no matter who comes calling.
In light of the reasons given for the move, I wouldn't have been surprised if Tierney contacted Denver when he heard about their coaching search. I think cold-calling Tierney and asking "So, how happy are you at Princeton?" would take guts.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login