Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell vs Virginia

Posted by scoop85 
Cornell vs Virginia
Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: May 17, 2009 05:41PM

Best recipe for a Cornell win: Virginia is the most skilled team in the game today, but after seeing parts of their two losses to Duke earlier this year, they seemed to deflate quickly when Duke got up by a few goals. If we can get off to a fast start like the past two games, we can use our physicality and hope to control the FO's and ground balls. But as we've seen from the 'Hoos first two playoff games, if they get off to an early lead, we're in big trouble.

Re: Cornell vs Virginia
Posted by: Tom Pasniewski 98 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 17, 2009 08:23PM

What are the start times of the games? Cornell's site has us at 2 p.m. I've also seen us listed as semifinal game #1.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.102.143.14.res-cmts.sm.ptd.net)
Date: May 17, 2009 09:43PM

ESPN shows the Duke - 'Cuse game at noon, and our game at 2. More likely our game will start at 2:30-2:45.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: May 18, 2009 09:39AM

Jeff Hopkins '82
ESPN shows the Duke - 'Cuse game at noon, and our game at 2. More likely our game will start at 2:30-2:45.
... and so, now, does cornellbigred.com show a 2 pm gametime. If there's one piece of info that site could have, should have, put up the moment they know, to help fans with their game planning, that was it. For fans coming from Ithaca, NYS, NYC, LI, NJ, or PA, the 2 pm start (more or less) vs. the noon game means the difference between getting up godawful early for a same day drive (or overnighting in Boston) vs. a more leisurely departure if you don't need to see the first game.

Cornell, please: excellence in everything, including the god-is-in-the-details of your website.

Posted by: RichH (---.com)
Date: May 18, 2009 09:57AM

billhoward
Jeff Hopkins '82
... and so, now, does cornellbigred.com show a 2 pm gametime. If there's one piece of info that site could have, should have, put up the moment they know, to help fans with their game planning, that was it. For fans coming from Ithaca, NYS, NYC, LI, NJ, or PA, the 2 pm start (more or less) vs. the noon game means the difference between getting up godawful early for a same day drive (or overnighting in Boston) vs. a more leisurely departure if you don't need to see the first game.

Cornell, please: excellence in everything, including the god-is-in-the-details of your website.

Huh, bill? If you read this thread, the CU site has always had us as the 2 pm game...see Tom's post from yesterday saying just that. I don't understand your griping this time.

BTW, I'm in MD for work this week, and the local Sunday sports-wrap show had about 10 minutes on the Hop-UVA game and post-game press conference, including a frustrated Pietramala. They showed the CU-UVA game as being the later game next week, so I think that's set.

Date: May 18, 2009 10:16AM

My fault. I looked yesterday and didn't see it on the games-of-5/23 calendar. It would have been nicer if Cornell had a story ready to go Saturday evening about tickets (even to say more info would be forthcoming) and the game time and any plans for Cornell gatherings, but if the calendar had it, that was a good start, and I missed it. Instead, the game story said and today (Monday 5/18 midmorning) still says, "Cornell will play the winner of tomorrow's NCAA quarterfinal between No. 1 Virginia and No. 8 Johns Hopkins in a semifinal game on Saturday, May 23 at either noon or 2 p.m. at Gilette Stadium in Foxborough, Mass." Even with its reduced numbers staffing the department of athletics, Cornell ought to anticipate things such as beating Princeton and fans wanting to know what's up next.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2009 10:19AM by billhoward.

Posted by: RichH (---.com)
Date: May 18, 2009 10:46AM

billhoward
My fault. I looked yesterday and didn't see it on the games-of-5/23 calendar. It would have been nicer if Cornell had a story ready to go Saturday evening about tickets (even to say more info would be forthcoming) and the game time and any plans for Cornell gatherings, but if the calendar had it, that was a good start, and I missed it. Instead, the game story said and today (Monday 5/18 midmorning) still says, "Cornell will play the winner of tomorrow's NCAA quarterfinal between No. 1 Virginia and No. 8 Johns Hopkins in a semifinal game on Saturday, May 23 at either noon or 2 p.m. at Gilette Stadium in Foxborough, Mass." Even with its reduced numbers staffing the department of athletics, Cornell ought to anticipate things such as beating Princeton and fans wanting to know what's up next.

Agree with you there. This is a big event, and there should be a big push to promote having a large, concentrated Cornell section in that stadium, rather than leave it to us to be scattered around, like we usually are. Especially since this is accessible (within a couple of hours) to a huge number of alumni in Boston/New England/Long Island/NYC.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: May 18, 2009 10:53AM

RichH
Agree with you there. This is a big event, and there should be a big push to promote having a large, concentrated Cornell section in that stadium, rather than leave it to us to be scattered around, like we usually are. Especially since this is accessible (within a couple of hours) to a huge number of alumni in Boston/New England/Long Island/NYC.
If last year is any indication, it may be possible to move around in the stadium for the second game. Unlike most Cornell fans who want to see both games (hockey or lacrosse), many others leave after their school plays. Many Syracuse fans may stay to watch Cornell, but it wouldn't surprise me if a lot of Dukies head for the tailgating after their game.

Date: May 18, 2009 11:18AM

RichH
billhoward

I think location in Mass not Baltimore (site of our last FF appearance) may reduce turnout enough to allow us to move around. PLus some like me would buy tickets now but still not sure if it's one, two, or (most likely) four of us coming so I can't buy tix with friends.

One very good sign overall for Big Red experience at sports events is that new Cornell alumni affairs guy, Chris Marshall, is a jock at heart (swim coach at Lehigh while running alumni program there) and is making every effort to do things to gather Cornellians before/after sports events. Example was the free tailgate BBQ before home football game last fall, using money saving by e-mailing not paper-mailing alumni mailings. His big plan is to do more alumni things based on affiliations (greek life, music, sports, Cornell Sun) other than class year (but not do away with reunions). Kind of obvious when you think of it.

Aside: Hofstra vastly underestimated the need for aluminum recycling in parking lots. Or they didn't know lacrosse fans drink like fish?

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: May 18, 2009 12:46PM

billhoward
Aside: Hofstra vastly underestimated the need for aluminum recycling in parking lots. Or they didn't know lacrosse fans drink like fish?

Not just recycling. The garbage can at the bottom of the footbridge to the North Campus parking lot was overflowing. People just started a pile opposite it. Kinda gross.

Posted by: Hillel Hoffmann (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: May 19, 2009 08:10PM

Is it Saturday yet?

Posted by: Germ (---.35-65.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: May 19, 2009 09:24PM

Although I think we've had a very successful season by making the final four, I feel reaching the finals and winning it is critical to reestablishing our program as one of the best in the country. Yes, we've made the final four 2 out of the last 3 but we really need to take the championship. We haven't made the final in 21 years and haven't won it in 32 years.

And why can't this be our time? We've played the three other ff teams going 1-2..all close games. We have the perfect recipe to beat UVA and either Duke or Cuse. We have 16 seniors, a few of them All-Americans, and one of them a finalist for best player in the land. I think our goaler is the only cause for concern.

It's safe to say we have regained control of the Ivies winning 7 straight titles(?) and taking 6 of the last 7 from PU. Now we need to wedge our way into the debate of who are the elite teams in the country. I don't think we can do that without winning it all. This can be the year.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: May 20, 2009 12:08AM

Hillel Hoffmann
Is it Saturday yet?
Come on Hillel, I know you haven't been writing much for us about the lax team this year, but could you give us a write-up about this weekend? Pleeeeeeeease? :-D

Posted by: JasonN95 (---.nyc.deshaw.com)
Date: May 20, 2009 10:40AM

Josh '99
Hillel Hoffmann
Is it Saturday yet?
Come on Hillel, I know you haven't been writing much for us about the lax team this year, but could you give us a write-up about this weekend? Pleeeeeeeease? :-D

Seconded.

Posted by: Hillel Hoffmann (---.usb.temple.edu)
Date: May 20, 2009 11:14AM

JasonN95
Josh '99
Hillel Hoffmann
Is it Saturday yet?
Seconded.
I can't. It's too embarrassing to explain, but I'm way superstitious and I'm locked into a routine that I can't break as long as they're on a roll. It's like a playoff beard. (I am such a dork, but I know I am not alone in my dorkitude.)

Besides, the level of analysis and emotional investment is so beautifully high here that there's nothing I could contribute that hasn't already been said. Keep it up.

The only thing I'll add is my gratitude to this senior class. What an achievement to get this far despite the retirements, injuries and a tough, road-heavy schedule.

Let's Go Red.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: May 20, 2009 12:50PM

Hillel Hoffmann
I can't. It's too embarrassing to explain, but I'm way superstitious and I'm locked into a routine that I can't break as long as they're on a roll. It's like a playoff beard. (I am such a dork, but I know I am not alone in my dorkitude.)
I respect that. (And certainly can relate to your dorkitude. Nice word.)

Date: May 20, 2009 02:44PM

Hillel Hoffmann
JasonN95
Josh '99
Hillel Hoffmann
Is it Saturday yet?
Seconded.

Besides, the level of analysis and emotional investment is so beautifully high here that there's nothing I could contribute that hasn't already been said. Keep it up.

The only thing I'll add is my gratitude to this senior class. What an achievement to get this far despite the retirements, injuries and a tough, road-heavy schedule.

Let's Go Red.

You're talking to a guy who --to the chagrin of my wife-- reviews the airline safety pamphlet *every* time I fly just because I somehow always have and I figure the first time I don't will be the time the plane goes into the drink. Long live superstition!

Posted by: nr53 (---.cisco.com)
Date: May 20, 2009 08:12PM

JasonN95
Hillel Hoffmann
JasonN95
Josh '99
Hillel Hoffmann
Is it Saturday yet?
Seconded.

Let's Go Red.

You're talking to a guy who --to the chagrin of my wife-- reviews the airline safety pamphlet *every* time I fly just because I somehow always have and I figure the first time I don't will be the time the plane goes into the drink. Long live superstition!
I take the opposite approach, If I don't read it I won't need it :-p

Date: May 20, 2009 10:33PM

When the plane goes down, usually everyone survives or doesn't, and it's usually not in your hands (although it never hurts to count the numnber of seats between you and the exit row in case there is smoke.) And, this winter, on the LGA-to-Hudson River commuter flight, the closest to disaster the occupants came was from something the flight attendants never thought to mention: "If the front of the plane is bobbing in the water and the ass end is under water, don't open the freaking back door." Fortunately that passenger was dissuaded jsut in time. Amazing skill and good luck of that US Air 1549 flight crew, vs. the inattentive, overly tired, too cheap to sleep (the night before) in a hotel so they used the crew lounge flight crew that crashed CO 1347 in Buffalo.

I've got 2 million flight miles in and I still love the rush of every takeoff. And there is nothing like when a 747 staggers into the air bound for Tokyo or Taipei with all that jet fuel in the wings. Passengers can feel how heavy the beast is.

It will be nothing like the rush we might feel this coming Monday. Here's hoping. Nearly half of all Cornell alums and current students weren't born the last time Cornell hoisted the trophy.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 21, 2009 10:07AM

billhoward
It will be nothing like the rush we might feel this coming Monday. Here's hoping. Nearly half of all Cornell alums and current students weren't born the last time Cornell hoisted the trophy.
I am sick and tired of your woofing. You pulled this shit in March, also. Just stop, please: enjoy the moment if it happens, but leave your anticipation unstated.

Date: May 21, 2009 11:46AM

Kyle Rose
billhoward
I am sick and tired of your woofing. You pulled this shit in March, also. Just stop, please: enjoy the moment if it happens, but leave your anticipation unstated.

Bill said "might" and "Here's hoping." I think his statements are sufficiently devoid of hubris such that the Woofing Gods will not take issue. ;-)

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: May 21, 2009 11:56AM

Kyle Rose
billhoward
And I can say I'm sick and tired of you telling others how to speak and write. I thought you were into libertarian ideas, no big brother telling you what to do.:-}Now, I'll move on.bolt

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.sbx00802.swampma.wayport.net)
Date: May 21, 2009 11:59AM

Jim Hyla
And I can say I'm sick and tired of you telling others how to speak and write.
I neither have nor desire the force to back up my request for Bill to stop woofing, but I can tell you (based on the emails and PM's I've received) that I am not the only one with this wish.

Besides, I'll remember this the next time a grammar nazi moment arises. ;-)

Posted by: French Rage (---.packetdesign.com)
Date: May 21, 2009 01:24PM

JasonN95
Kyle Rose
billhoward

Bill said "might" and "Here's hoping." I think his statements are sufficiently devoid of hubris such that the Woofing Gods will not take issue. ;-)

But just to be safe we really should tar and feather Bill.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Date: May 21, 2009 01:41PM

Kyle Rose
Jim Hyla
And I can say I'm sick and tired of you telling others how to speak and write.
I neither have nor desire the force to back up my request for Bill to stop woofing, but I can tell you (based on the emails and PM's I've received) that I am not the only one with this wish.
And just because many believe in god and that the earth is 6000 years old, that doesn't mean it's correct. To be a college grad and have enough faith in woofing gods, that one has to criticize others, seems utterly amazing to me. Much like some people believe that if you pray for someone sick, then god will react to that and disregard the poor slob who has no friends to pray for him. Woofing gods are worried about what is said on this forum?whistle

Pannell Article
Date: May 21, 2009 01:44PM

Now on to more substantial lax articles. A nice article in the Syracuse Post-Standard

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: May 21, 2009 02:32PM

Jim Hyla
Woofing gods are worried about what is said on this forum?whistle
Yes. The woofing gods are all powerful and all knowing.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: May 21, 2009 06:39PM

JasonN95
Kyle Rose
billhoward

Agreed. Bill's post was really just a more verbose version of "Hey, wouldn't it be awesome if we won? It's been a while since the last time."

Posted by: semsox (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: May 21, 2009 11:12PM

My most anticipated event of the weekend (not like graduation's THAT big of a deal). That being said, really hard to feel good about the matchup. This is definitely one of those games where I would love to win, but I'm certainly not expecting it. Granted, maybe we're due. I felt we were the better team in '07 and we lost that game. Maybe this will be the other way around. Key to this game is unequivocally limiting turnovers. I'll go out on a limb and say Glynn will hold his own vs. Gaudet in the faceoff circle, but unforced errors is where we've won and lost games this year. They reared they're ugly head vs. Syracuse and with Virginia's speed, it's going to be more important than ever to take care of the ball. Honestly, if we have less than 10 turnovers, I like our chances.

Oddly, I'm not as worried about Virginia's offense as most people are. Tambroni came up with a sparkling game plan against Princeton, and I'm sure he'll do the same against Virginia. Despite the injury to Moyer, I think our defense is peaking at the right time. They're tough, they're physical, they're executing the game plan absolutely selflessly, and that will win you a lot of games.

For goal, Myers played very well last week and you just have to sort of let him go. If it comes down to rotating goalies midgame, this one's already over. So as weak as we've been in goal this year, this is the game where you just send Myers out there and hope for the best. If our defense can play like they did last week, I believe he can be an asset between the pipes and make the saves he needs to.

I think our attack is where we can do some damage. Pannell has been so great all year long, and I think he'll come up big again. The Princeton D is without a doubt better than the Virginia D, and if we're patient enough, we're going to score on them. This game is simply going to come down to possession. If we take care of the ball and let Pannell dictate the offense we'll be in it until the end. I don't foresee this being a game like Duke's second game against UVA. If we do win this game, it won't be by more than 2 goals. Get pumped everyone. It all comes down to this. LET'S GO RED!

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: May 21, 2009 11:28PM

Is that guy Gaudet related to the Dartmouth hockey Gaudets? He was an undergrad at Dartmouth (he's playing at UVA as a grad student) but he isn't Bob's son.

Posted by: RichH (155.104.37.---)
Date: May 22, 2009 02:33PM

semsox
My most anticipated event of the weekend (not like graduation's THAT big of a deal). That being said, really hard to feel good about the matchup. This is definitely one of those games where I would love to win, but I'm certainly not expecting it. Granted, maybe we're due. I felt we were the better team in '07 and we lost that game. Maybe this will be the other way around. Key to this game is unequivocally limiting turnovers. I'll go out on a limb and say Glynn will hold his own vs. Gaudet in the faceoff circle, but unforced errors is where we've won and lost games this year. They reared they're ugly head vs. Syracuse and with Virginia's speed, it's going to be more important than ever to take care of the ball. Honestly, if we have less than 10 turnovers, I like our chances.

Oddly, I'm not as worried about Virginia's offense as most people are. Tambroni came up with a sparkling game plan against Princeton, and I'm sure he'll do the same against Virginia. Despite the injury to Moyer, I think our defense is peaking at the right time. They're tough, they're physical, they're executing the game plan absolutely selflessly, and that will win you a lot of games.

For goal, Myers played very well last week and you just have to sort of let him go. If it comes down to rotating goalies midgame, this one's already over. So as weak as we've been in goal this year, this is the game where you just send Myers out there and hope for the best. If our defense can play like they did last week, I believe he can be an asset between the pipes and make the saves he needs to.

I think our attack is where we can do some damage. Pannell has been so great all year long, and I think he'll come up big again. The Princeton D is without a doubt better than the Virginia D, and if we're patient enough, we're going to score on them. This game is simply going to come down to possession. If we take care of the ball and let Pannell dictate the offense we'll be in it until the end. I don't foresee this being a game like Duke's second game against UVA. If we do win this game, it won't be by more than 2 goals. Get pumped everyone. It all comes down to this. LET'S GO RED!

Good post. Myers had a very solid game last week...great time for him to turn it on. My impression was that the defense was playing at the top of their game. It was an impressive performance, and we need that to continue.

One thing that calmed me most about my hopes for this tournament was that we were very good on the ground balls and didn't make a whole lot of mistakes on the clears, especially given the very windy conditions. The long-pass gaffes have been a bugaboo for us in the past.

While I don't give us a great chance tomorrow, I still give us a chance.

I for one am going to enjoy getting to see at least one more game with Seibald and Pannell on the same field. No offense to any of the other players, but those two are generational talents for this program. It's been a joy to watch Max during this run, and knowing that Pannell is only a Freshman makes me very very happy.

Let's Go Red!! Let's do this. Let's do this now.

Re: Cornell vs Virginia - InsideLacrosse: It's hopeless?
Date: May 22, 2009 05:06PM

Weekly pick 'em of a dozen Inside Lacrosse experts is unanimous on outcome of Cornell-Virginia game. [blogs.insidelacrosse.com]

Date: May 22, 2009 05:10PM

French Rage
JasonN95
Kyle Rose
billhoward

But just to be safe we really should tar and feather Bill.

You'd think Lynah fans would have enough already of standing in line.

Posted by: peterg (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: May 22, 2009 06:31PM

Nice article

NY Times blog piece

Posted by: Tom Pasniewski 98 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 23, 2009 06:49AM

Screw 'em.

IT IS SATURDAY! IT IS TIME TO ROCK!

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 23, 2009 03:21PM

I really wish our defenders would stop stopping right at the midline if there are enough people back. Just carry the ball up, give it to an attackman and then get back.

Posted by: Greenberg '97 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 23, 2009 03:29PM

Jacob '06
I really wish our defenders would stop stopping right at the midline if there are enough people back. Just carry the ball up, give it to an attackman and then get back.

The first time they did that, I thought it was offside waiting to happen. The second time, it happened. Could've been a turning point if it led to a goal.

Posted by: French Rage (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: May 23, 2009 03:33PM

4-1 after 1, definitely playing more our speed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2009 03:36PM by French Rage.

Date: May 23, 2009 03:34PM

Well other than the issues at midfield on the clear, that was a great quarter for Cornell. If we can keep the posession game up for the rest of the game we should get a good result. They had some nice goals off of inside feeds in the first from the attackmen.

Posted by: Greenberg '97 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 23, 2009 03:37PM

French Rage
4-1 after 1, definitely playing more our speed.

No, you were right.... 5-1. :)

Date: May 23, 2009 03:39PM

God I wish the announcers would shut up.

Date: May 23, 2009 04:01PM

8-2 at the half.

Date: May 23, 2009 04:57PM

Dumb turnover, cmon, game aint over yet.

Date: May 23, 2009 04:57PM

French Rage
Dumb turnover, cmon, game aint over yet.

And we get it right back. :-}

13-6.

Date: May 23, 2009 05:04PM

Don't really understand Glynn taking a faceoff up by 9 goals with 6 minutes left in the game.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: May 23, 2009 05:35PM

scoop85
Best recipe for a Cornell win: Virginia is the most skilled team in the game today, but after seeing parts of their two losses to Duke earlier this year, they seemed to deflate quickly when Duke got up by a few goals. If we can get off to a fast start like the past two games, we can use our physicality and hope to control the FO's and ground balls.

Well, faceoffs were fairly neutral (Glynn kept getting pushed from behind with no calls), and we did pretty well on ground balls. The big thing to me was how, as in the Duke games, Virginia simply had no swagger when falling behind. I guess all those blue chippers Starsia collects simply don't know how to handle adversity :-P

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: May 23, 2009 05:45PM

Demoralizing goalkeeping! Save percentages according to GameTracker
Myers 7/13 = 54%
Ghitelman 5/20 = 25%

Posted by: TimV (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: May 23, 2009 05:48PM

scoop85
I guess all those blue chippers Starsia collects simply don't know how to handle adversity :-P

Scoop, that may be the best analysis of the day.

Dave- Not "All you're (Ghittleman's) fault." Many point-blank shots from in close and defensive mistakes. Great game by Red, any chance we can do it twice?

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: May 23, 2009 06:37PM

About the only thing that went wrong was a few too many offsides.

Couldn't believe how long UVa took to get agressive on D. We absolutely destroyed them with those long posessions, and they overcompensated with the three 1-minute penalties with a couple of minutes to go (and still couldn't get a whistle).

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: May 23, 2009 09:06PM

I am sunburned but otherwise quite happy. Great game by the boys. See you folks on Monday!

Date: May 23, 2009 09:36PM

billhoward
Weekly pick 'em of a dozen Inside Lacrosse experts is unanimous on outcome of Cornell-Virginia game. [blogs.insidelacrosse.com]

Everyone got at least one wrong. :P

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: May 23, 2009 10:26PM

me
While I don't give us a great chance tomorrow, I still give us a chance.

Hee. Heheheheheheeeeee! :-D crazy **]

I don't think anybody expected what we saw today. The stat sheet just tells a different story than the game played out. Pretty much equal in faceoffs & ground balls, the game was just an absolutely *surgical* effort by the Big Red. Time of possession told the real story. All the parts were working together. When the opponent thought they knew what to cover, we showed them another facet. And the discipline. Just a superb day all around.

One of the biggest moments of "oh my god, this is actually happening" was when there was a whistle for a turnover about a second before the ball went into the net. The UVA section didn't realize it didn't count and got up and got loud as we were given the ball and marched down to score. Instead of cutting the lead to 5, UVA found themselves down 7.

Suddenly, *we* were the cool kids that everyone wanted to hang out with on hospitality row. I think the only way to describe the mood at the post-game tailgate was just that everyone was in a state of elated shock.

Holy shit. We're playing for the National Championship on Monday. panic
LET'S GO RED!

Posted by: Liz98 (---.hsd1.dc.comcast.net)
Date: May 23, 2009 11:19PM

I had to follow via blog due to a prior commitment; if you haven't seen it yet you might enjoy [sports.espn.go.com]

I like the quote about the band after the 2nd goal:
"The Big Red's band really is a nice touch for celebrating.

Oh, and there it goes again with "Give My Regards To Davy" (that's Cornell's fight song, to the tune of "Give My Regards To Broadway";) as Jonathan Thomson scored for the Big Red to make it 2-0 with 10 minutes, 38 seconds to go in the quarter."

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: May 23, 2009 11:24PM

TimV
scoop85
I guess all those blue chippers Starsia collects simply don't know how to handle adversity :-P

Scoop, that may be the best analysis of the day.

Dave- Not "All your (Ghitelman's) fault." Many point-blank shots from in close and defensive mistakes. Great game by Red, any chance we can do it twice?
I agree. Shot quality counts. Flip the save percentages with the same SOG and it's a 10-9 game. But I would also claim that Myers had a couple of fine saves. If Ghitelman had been able to come up with a couple of heroic saves early, UVA would not have had the wind let out of their cocky sails and would have been more dangerous. That's why I used the word demoralizing.

Posted by: imafrshmn (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: May 23, 2009 11:46PM

NY Times article

Pete Thamel, NY Times
If there was a soundtrack for Starsia’s nightmare afternoon, it would be that of the Cornell band playing the university’s fight song, “Give My Regards to Davy."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2009 11:47PM by imafrshmn.

Posted by: kingpin248 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 24, 2009 12:19AM

Another quote about the band, from the Inside Lacrosse blog:

"[EDITORIAL NOTE: Enjoying the heck out of the Cornell band. Makes this feel less "stadium rockin" and much more collegiate. Not that I don't love an AC/DC riff every so often.]"

Re: Cornell vs Virginia - postgame
Posted by: billhoward (---.sub-75-192-96.myvzw.com)
Date: May 24, 2009 01:13AM

After so many years of almosts both in lacrosse and hockey, it feels so good to be in the title game, not just the final four or in the NCAAs at all.

Rob Pannell went 3-3 and Jake Myers was super-sharp. Collectively, Cornell outhustled Virginia by an amazing margin. The player of the game may be the coaching staff. They got Cornell properly prepared to win a seemingly unwinnable game and Cornell did it handily.

Did anybody really think it was over until midway through the fourth? Virginia probably had a sneaking suspicion at halftime, but we showed two years ago against Duke that no lead is safe. And that gave the game a sense of closeness even with 5- and 6-goal leads in the second half.

Pannell was so impressive with his ball handling last week against Princeton. Virginia had him backed into the corner, he absorbed slashes to the arm, initially no flag, so he appeared to lift his arm to give Virginia a better target, drew another slash, and finally it was so obvious first one flag flew and then a second.

After that, Dom Starsia's timeout to settle Virginia with two minutes left kept our game from degrading to the level Duke took the first game. For that he deserves credit.

Second weekend in a row with rain predicted and it turned out to be perfect weather. A bit cool and that, as the announcers noted a couple times, favored Cornell. That must be it: It wasn't the coaches, Pannell, Rocco Romero, Matt Moyer, or Myers that was the margin of victory. It was temps in the sixties that Virginia couldn't handle.

If the coaches prepared Cornell to perfection vs. Virginia, can they do it a second time for Monday?

We'll be back Monday. It's great to see Richie Moran was there and cheerleading Cornell on to add to the three titles he won. If only George Boiardi, Eamon McEneaney, and Jay Gallagher could be in Foxborough, too.

Re: Cornell vs Virginia - postgame
Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: May 24, 2009 02:54AM

billhoward
It's great to see Richie Moran was there and cheerleading Cornell on to add to the three titles he won. If only George Boiardi, Eamon McEneaney, and Jay Gallagher could be in Foxborough, too.

Look around the stands. They're there with us.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login