Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

March Madness: NCAA Div. I Men's Basketball Tournament

Posted by Beeeej 
March Madness: NCAA Div. I Men's Basketball Tournament
Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: March 15, 2009 06:29PM

Cornell's seeded #14 in the west, and will face #3 Missouri in Boise, Idaho on Friday.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2009 06:29PM by Beeeej.

Re: March Madness: NCAA Div. I Men's Basketball Tournament
Posted by: HeafDog (---.c3-0.80w-ubr9.nyr-80w.ny.cable.rcn.com)
Date: March 15, 2009 06:32PM

<thumping own chest> LET'S #$%@ING GO! LET'S #$%@ING DO THIS! C'MON RED!

<goes and runs around the room, screaming>

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 15, 2009 06:38PM

They don't have 2 7-footers, do they?

Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: March 15, 2009 06:54PM

Beeeej
Cornell's seeded #14 in the west, and will face #3 Missouri in Boise, Idaho on Friday.

This might be one time when Cornell fans wished that a team got sent to Minnesota. :-P

Boise.... not exactly taking travel costs into consideration.

Mizzou is a "small team", no one over 6 ft 9 in.

Posted by: BCrespi (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 15, 2009 06:58PM

Rita
Beeeej

This might be one time when Cornell fans wished that a team got sent to Minnesota. :-P

Boise.... not exactly taking travel costs into consideration.

Mizzou is a "small team", no one over 6 ft 9 in.

Though they do get much of their scoring from their forwards. I'm not unhappy with this match-up.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 15, 2009 07:36PM

No common opponents between us this year.

Posted by: nyc94 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 15, 2009 07:38PM

Not making this up. The game is at the Taco Bell Arena.

[www.tacobellarena.com]

Posted by: jksnake06 (---.Stanford.EDU)
Date: March 15, 2009 09:54PM

Missouri plays an uptempo style and relys on a pressure defense to force turnovers. That could be big trouble for Cornell if the 2nd half @ Minnesota is any indication.

This is a better matchup than last year, but not by much.

Cornell will need Dale and Wroblewski to have their A+ games in terms of handling the press, but its possible that Mizzou's D will tire Cornell out so much that the Red won't have the legs to shoot the 3 ball well enough.

Posted by: Germ (---.35-65.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: March 15, 2009 10:57PM

I just hope we show up and make it a game. I.e we don't get blown out by a ton. Cornell did fairly well this year in the 5 "high profile" games (Cuse, Minn, IU, St. Johns, & St Joe's). All of those games were pretty close at the half before the wheels eventually came off.

Last year against Stanford it was ugly and we had to go with the "we were just happy to make it" speech. This year it would be great if we could get the "we played them close for the majority of the game and we're proud of our performance" speech.

Our guys will (obviously) have much more confidence going into this year's tourney and the big games we played on the road against the teams mentioned above just might pay dividends.

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: March 15, 2009 11:19PM

jksnake06
This is a better matchup than last year, but not by much.
It's pretty unlikely that you'll ever get a favorable matchup as a #14 seed. Winning tournament games is always going to be a long shot.

Date: March 15, 2009 11:38PM

nyc94
Not making this up. The game is at the Taco Bell Arena.

[www.tacobellarena.com]

Well, they say shooting teams always do better in "gyms" than huge arenas. For whatever it's worth, The Taco (TM) seats 12,820, while the Honda Center (last year in Anaheim) sat 17,600. I'll take whatever tiny edge we can get (or even think we can get!).

Posted by: HeafDog (---.c3-0.80w-ubr4.nyr-80w.ny.cable.rcn.com)
Date: March 16, 2009 12:04AM

Germ
All of those games were pretty close at the half before the wheels eventually came off.

From the sounds of it, Missouri never stops hustling and plays hard the entire game, even turning it up a notch in the second half and not looking back. This isn't looking good...

Germ
This year it would be great if we could get the "we played them close for the majority of the game and we're proud of our performance" speech.

I'm with you. Please, please keep it closer than last year.

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: March 16, 2009 12:32AM

Jordan 04

Bah. Who cares? They're so stupid/lazy that they often forget to finish spelling their own name.

Missouri sucks! Go Red!!

Posted by: Greenberg '97 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 16, 2009 12:56AM

Early scheduling puts our game in the 3:00 slot. So... we need to find a bar that gets all four CBS feeds, and then agrees to keep one TV on the NHL network.

Anyone looking to watch in Queens or Westchester? No Manhattan for me this year.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---.host.starwoodhotels.com)
Date: March 16, 2009 07:21AM

That time slot sure sucks for those traveling to Albany on Friday.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: March 16, 2009 08:14AM

Get to Albany early. Watch the game on the TV at the arena. Stick your head into the rink area if you hear crowd noise.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 16, 2009 08:24AM

Jeff Hopkins '82
Get to Albany early. Watch the game on the TV at the arena. Stick your head into the rink area if you hear crowd noise.
Uh, priorities? Try and get a view of one of the TVs in the boxes. Watching hockey is always a first priority, at least for those of us going to Albany.banana

Posted by: Jordan 04 (155.72.24.---)
Date: March 16, 2009 08:47AM

Jeff Hopkins '82

Thanks. I was aware that the conflict between traveling to Albany and watching the basketball game can be avoided if one is not traveling to Albany during the basketball game.

That isn't possible for some, (or many), thus the fact remains that the time slot sure sucks for those traveling to Albany on Friday.

Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: March 16, 2009 11:33AM

Jordan 04
Jeff Hopkins '82

Thanks. I was aware that the conflict between traveling to Albany and watching the basketball game can be avoided if one is not traveling to Albany during the basketball game.

That isn't possible for some, (or many), thus the fact remains that the time slot sure sucks for those traveling to Albany on Friday.

For those driving, you might want to check if any of the sports radio stations on your route are picking up the Westwood One radio broadcasts (my local ESPN station does). The Temple v. ASU game is also a ~ 3pm start and and the only one that seems to have any local (for NY) interest besides Cornell v. Missouri.

If you are traveling (or stuck in the office) and have internet access, CBS/CSTV is doing march madness on demand.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: March 16, 2009 12:35PM

RichH
Jordan 04

Bah. Who cares? They're so stupid/lazy that they often forget to finish spelling their own name.

Missouri sucks! Go Red!!
I'll be deep in the cold, cold ground before I recognize Missourah!

Posted by: ugarte (---.z75-46-65.customer.algx.net)
Date: March 16, 2009 01:55PM

Rita
If you are traveling (or stuck in the office) and have internet access, CBS/CSTV is doing march madness on demand.
Last year the quality of coverage was great for the ~15 seconds I watched before I realized that a massacre was in progress.

Dealing with the press will not be easy for the Big Red and I am not so happy to see us face a team on such a roll. At the same time, at least we don't have to play them @Missouri. Boise is going to be a difficult venue to get to so I figure the crowd will be largely neutral and rooting for the underog.

As others have mentioned. they are a team that uses speed and athleticism, not height. I think that the pace of the game this year will be less of a problem than the Lopez brothers were last year. Beyond the disadvantage that Cornell had in the paint against those guys, it allowed Stanford's perimeter defense to pressure the ball as far as 20 feet from the basket without risking getting burned underneath. Mizzou is going to have to have more respect for Foote and other interior scoring, which I hope will open things up for Wittman, etc. from the outside.

I expect to lose but I'm hoping to enjoy the ride.

Posted by: CM cWo 44 (207.10.170.---)
Date: March 16, 2009 01:55PM

Viewing parties?

Posted by: kwrm8d (161.130.142.---)
Date: March 16, 2009 01:57PM

You do realize that Mizzou Arena holds 15,000 people and it has been sold out on several occasions vs. Top 20 Teams...Don't worry about their shooting

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: March 16, 2009 03:11PM

CM cWo 44
Viewing parties?
Yes, presumably there will be.

OK, but not being a smartass: I'm planning to watch at one of the bars on Pearl Street near the rink in Albany. The basketball should be over early enough to be able to make at least the third period of the Yale-SLU(t) semifinal.

Posted by: ugarte (---.z75-46-65.customer.algx.net)
Date: March 16, 2009 03:20PM

kwrm8d
You do realize that Mizzou Arena holds 15,000 people and it has been sold out on several occasions vs. Top 20 Teams...Don't worry about their shooting
I don't get what this is in reference to.

Posted by: Tom Pasniewski 98 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 16, 2009 03:30PM

Yeah, seriously, I'm coming to Albany but I'd like to catch the b-ball game in its entirety outside the rink. If anybody in the know, knows of an official, pseudo-official or whatever viewing of the game outside the T-U, nee Pepsi nee the Knick, please post it

Posted by: Tom Pasniewski 98 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 16, 2009 03:33PM

Oh and since Josh asked (but really if you're on this forum you should watch it on Pearl Street). I'm the host and even I'm not sticking around Beantown to see it.

Friday, March 20. Gathering begins at 2:30 p.m. Game time approximately 3:00 p.m. The Sports Depot, 353 Cambridge Street, Allston

Event Date: Friday, March 20th, 2009 at 2:30pm

The Cornell men's basketball team has secured its bid to the NCAA Tournament's March Madness with their second Ivy League title in a row, a first in school history. Cornell has been assigned as the #14 seed in the West Regional. Their first round opponent will be the Missouri Tigers, and the teams will play on Friday, March 20th. Game time is approximately 3:00 p.m., and the gathering will begin at 2:30 p.m. at The Sports Depot, 353 Cambridge Street in Allston. The nearest bus stop is on the 66 line.

LET'S GO RED!

This event will be free with cash bar and food. For more information, contact Tom Pasniewski at thp1@cornell.edu or 617-731-9771.

Posted by: RichH (155.104.37.---)
Date: March 16, 2009 03:47PM

Tom Pasniewski 98
Yeah, seriously, I'm coming to Albany but I'd like to catch the b-ball game in its entirety outside the rink. If anybody in the know, knows of an official, pseudo-official or whatever viewing of the game outside the T-U, nee Pepsi nee the Knick, please post it

Oh geez. Just pick a place. Bayou Cafe. That's big, they have teevees and food, and I'm sure they'd like our business in the afternoon. There. Now everybody go.

[www.bayoucafe.com]

I was going to suggest the Skyline, but apparently that closed last spring. They were good in accomodating the UVM fans when they were playing in the bouncy tournament the same day as their game at the Knicksi Union.

[realestate.yahoo.com]

Date: March 16, 2009 04:13PM

kwrm8d

I was referring to Cornell as the shooting team. Welcome to the forum!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2009 04:13PM by BCrespi.

Posted by: jhib (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 16, 2009 04:51PM

Cornell is a 13 point underdog.
Sounds about right, I guess.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: March 16, 2009 06:35PM

Whit Watson '93, late of ESPN and now of Sun Sports (Fox Sports Florida), on Cornell and Florida State in Boise:

Blogeriffic.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: CM cWo 44 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 16, 2009 07:23PM

CM cWo 44
Viewing parties?

Anything in NYC?

Posted by: kwrm8d (161.130.142.---)
Date: March 16, 2009 08:01PM

Cornell has no shot regardless...Minnesota is not comparable to the pressure D of Mizzou. It wore out kU in the last 10 minutes in Columbia...it put Blake Griffin on his ass...and it shut down a hot Baylor club in the Big 12 Championship.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: March 16, 2009 08:07PM

kwrm8d
Cornell has no shot regardless...Minnesota is not comparable to the pressure D of Mizzou. It wore out kU in the last 10 minutes in Columbia...it put Blake Griffin on his ass...and it shut down a hot Baylor club in the Big 12 Championship.
You always have a chance. There's always the Pizza Hut factor.

Date: March 16, 2009 08:56PM

kwrm8d

I take back my welcome. You have a good team, let the little Ivy have its fun.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 16, 2009 10:21PM

kwrm8d
If Missouri lost in the first round they would not by any means be the best team to do so and Cornell wouldn't be the worst team to pull off the upset. You have a good team but they aren't the 1991 Runnin' Rebels.

Who lost.

Breaking Down the N.C.A.A. Tournament Upset
Posted by: amerks127 (193.134.192.---)
Date: March 18, 2009 09:38AM

Per article title, NYTimes breaks down the key elements to securing a first-round upset. It says Cornell has the best shot at a big upset in this year's tournament based on "Luck of the Draw."

[www.nytimes.com]
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2009 09:39AM by amerks127.

Re: Breaking Down the N.C.A.A. Tournament Upset
Posted by: nr53 (---.cisco.com)
Date: March 18, 2009 02:19PM

Didn't they say we had a good chance to upset last year? Here's hoping for better luck this time around :-)

Posted by: bernie (---.echostar.com)
Date: March 18, 2009 07:22PM

betting lines have cornell +700 to win

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: March 18, 2009 07:46PM

And the president doesn't have faith in us:

[www.bloomberg.com]

Neither Columbia University nor Harvard University, the president’s two alma maters, made the tournament. The Ivy League will be represented by Cornell University, a No. 14-seed. Obama has them losing to the No. 3-seeded University of Missouri in the first round.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 18, 2009 07:55PM

nr53
Didn't they say we had a good chance to upset last year? Here's hoping for better luck this time around :-)
"They" were looking for an angle - and Cornell was a really solid team for a 14 seed - but Stanford was about the worst possible matchup we could have gotten. I knew that one was going to be ugly.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login