Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell Women's Hockey

Posted by Trotsky 
Page:  1 234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Cornell Women's Hockey
Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 17, 2009 05:43PM

Cornell (8-8-2, 4-5-2) is playing a very good game this afternoon against RPI (11-8-3, 6-3-2) at Lynah, leading 3-1 midway through the 3rd. Cathy White (#20) scored the third goal on a gorgeous end-to-end rush.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2009 05:44PM by Trotsky.

Re: Cornell Women's Hockey
Date: January 17, 2009 06:03PM

Cornell survives RPI's full court press down the stretch to win 3-2, for a 4-point weekend. The win puts them at .500 in conference. RPI was a team in the upper bracket, so maybe this indicates that Cornell is starting to make a move.

Posted by: Tom Lento (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: January 20, 2009 02:35AM

RPI has only been D-I for a few years, and is probably the weakest of the teams ahead of Cornell in the standings. It's still a good win, but I would not be surprised to see Cornell finish ahead of RPI when all is said and done.

The North Country trip was more impressive to me. 3 points from Clarkson and SLU is a great outcome in women's hockey these days. Clarkson's fairly strong, and including the Cornell draw SLU is 11-1-1 at home this year.

Looking at the results, it seems like Cornell plays just about everyone close. The team's apparently quite young, and has a lot of talent in the freshman and sophomore classes, so they may well be hitting their stride after an inconsistent start to the season.

One additional note - there seems to be far more parity in women's hockey this year than there has been in quite some time. It used to be that you could pick the outcomes of 90% of the games before the season even started.

Posted by: Tom Tone (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 20, 2009 09:32PM

The one anomaly to parity has to be the Union Women's team.

Over the past six seasons, they have amassed a total of 5 points ( 1 win and 3 ties). Their last league win was a 4-0 drubbing of us in Feb. of 2003. I understand the importance of having an equal number of men's and women's sports but it's clear that they need to consider a move to a different conference or D-III.

However, it is nice to see both Cornell goalies win ECAC Goalie of the Week

Posted by: TimV (---.amc.edu)
Date: January 21, 2009 09:53AM

I spent too much time on the RPI thread on USCHO so I gotta ask:

Are the women also a bunch of clutch-and-grab dive-taking boring no-respect-deserving whiners?nut;-):-}

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: January 21, 2009 01:06PM

Tom Lento
RPI has only been D-I for a few years, and is probably the weakest of the teams ahead of Cornell in the standings. It's still a good win, but I would not be surprised to see Cornell finish ahead of RPI when all is said and done.
I was judging them by the Parcells-Biafra Standard: you are what your record says you are.

Another thing about watching the last game. Not to put too fine a point on it, but a decade ago watching ECAC women's hockey in general and Cornell women's hockey in particular was about as exciting as watching people shovel a driveway. Now the players are far faster, more skilled, and more creative. It looks kind of like hockey (except for the tortured maneuvers the players have to go through to avoid, you know, checking). It was fun.

Posted by: Lauren '06 (206.12.54.---)
Date: January 21, 2009 10:16PM

Trotsky
Another thing about watching the last game. Not to put too fine a point on it, but a decade ago watching ECAC women's hockey in general and Cornell women's hockey in particular was about as exciting as watching people shovel a driveway. Now the players are far faster, more skilled, and more creative. It looks kind of like hockey (except for the tortured maneuvers the players have to go through to avoid, you know, checking). It was fun.
What is the stated reason for keeping checking out of women's college hockey? Does anyone know?

Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: January 21, 2009 10:20PM

Because they prefer credit cards?**]

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: January 21, 2009 11:20PM

Section A Banshee
Trotsky
What is the stated reason for keeping checking out of women's college hockey? Does anyone know?
I would imagine the original rationale comes from an earlier time when people felt the "fairer" sex couldn't handle the physical game. Once the rules are set in place they have inertia and it takes effort to change them. For everyone who thinks that the lack of checking is silly ("tortured maneuvers" is right) there's probably someone who thinks hockey is better without the physical aspect. There isn't consensus to change so it stays.

But it does seem odd that in a time where any suggestion that men and women aren't completely equal is met with angry opposition form some quarters we still have different rules for sports. Don't even get me started on softball vs. baseball.

Posted by: imafrshmn (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 21, 2009 11:51PM

I've had a chance to ask a couple of the players on the women's team what they think of No Checking, and their response was that having grown up playing with boys, with physicality, they would like to have checking.

Posted by: redliner (---.midrivers.com)
Date: January 23, 2009 01:11AM

speaking of Cornell women's hockey and recruiting

If you aren’t familiar with Brigette Lacquette, you should be.

Scouts are raving about this 16-year-old Manitoban.

Lacquette is astonishing them by thoroughly outplaying male opponents in the Western Manitoba AA Midget Hockey League. She is her league’s top talent. She was the youngest player at the recent World Under-18 women’s hockey championship in Germany and was chosen best defenceman.

“Several scouts have told me that, if Brigette continues in the direction she’s going, she’ll be the greatest female hockey player in Canadian history,” said Scott Taylor, sports editor of Grass Roots News, Manitoba’s Aboriginal newspaper. “She’s one of the few players I’ve seen who can do everything all game with her head up. She’s so fast that she flies by opponents. And she’s a great playmaker.”

Still, dozens of universities -- including Cornell, Providence, Minnesota and North Dakota -- have found Brigette and are bombarding her with expressions of interest.

[www.metronews.ca]

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: January 23, 2009 02:12PM

KeithK

I found this on the internets, so... you know... but it seems plausible.

When international Women's hockey started there WAS body checking. They quickly changed the rules after the first Women's World Hockey Championship in 1990. There is a huge gap between Canada/US and the rest of the world. Canada just ran over and other teams. Even the Swedish and Finish teams lack the size and strength. No contact doesn't help that much, 9 world championships and Canada is 8 gold and 1 silver while the US is 1 gold and 8 silver. But it is something there to try increase world wide popularity of the sport.

The other thing that springs to mind is it makes insurance cheaper. If men's hockey removed checking, attendance would drop to zero and the schools would take a revenue hit. Women's hockey doesn't generate any revenue, so they may as well deliver it as cheaply as Title IX will allow.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2009 02:14PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: January 23, 2009 03:04PM

Sounds like a plausible explanation. Even if the removal of checking wouldn't help the other women's teams compete with Canada it would have helped reduce the chances of injury. Even if I knew how to take a check I don't think I'd want to play full contact hockey against a varsity level player. It would be painful.

Posted by: jkahn (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: January 23, 2009 09:38PM

Trotsky

Tf men's hockey removed checking, attendance would drop to zero and the schools would take a revenue hit.
In ancient times, i.e. my era, the rule in men's hockey was "no checking in the offensive zone." We had no trouble filling the rink. Ned's teams forechecked relentlessly; they just couldn't use the body.

Posted by: mattj711 (---.185.21.98.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: January 24, 2009 01:18PM

Any word on how recruiting for 09-10 is going? Cornell is the only women's team with no posted recruits on USCHO.com.

Posted by: ithacat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 25, 2009 09:09AM

mattj711
Any word on how recruiting for 09-10 is going? Cornell is the only women's team with no posted recruits on USCHO.com.

[www.beyondthedashers.com] lists Katie Allen, a defensive player from Red Deer as heading to East Hill. Allen was a member of Alberta's Under-18 team. The source of that news may have come from this article: [www.albertahockey.com]

I think this was discussed on USCHO and the keeper of the list determined that Allen's commitment was unconfirmed.

The team only loses 3 players next season, still the news is pretty sparse.

Date: January 31, 2009 06:07PM

The women beat Clarkson 4-1 at Lynah this afternoon. Catherine White should be paying me -- every time I watch, she scores a goal. Rebecca Johnston went 2-1-3 and is now 17-15-32 in 18 games.

The Red travel to play #11 Princeton and a weak Quinnipiac next weekend, before their final Lynah RS games against the strongest ECAC pair, Harvard and #9 Dartmouth. The Dartmouth game will be a 4 p.m. start on Valentine's Day -- it would be outstanding if they got a strong crowd.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2009 06:08PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Doug Dickerson (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 31, 2009 06:20PM

Greg
Hopefully it will be a good crowd that day, as it is
employee day. We will be there.
Doug

Date: February 01, 2009 04:35PM

ithacat
mattj711

[www.beyondthedashers.com] lists Katie Allen, a defensive player from Red Deer as heading to East Hill. Allen was a member of Alberta's Under-18 team. The source of that news may have come from this article: [www.albertahockey.com]

I think this was discussed on USCHO and the keeper of the list determined that Allen's commitment was unconfirmed.

The team only loses 3 players next season, still the news is pretty sparse.

In past years the news on Cornell recruits has been pretty sparse until April/May. The Ivies tend not to release recruiting information until after the admissions cycle is complete, so you only hear about big commitments or players who have a local news story about their college plans.

Lack of big news from Cornell suggests a less impressive recruiting class than last year's, but you never know.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2009 04:36PM by Tom Lento.

Posted by: mattj711 (---.54.28.71.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: February 01, 2009 05:23PM

It appears that this recruiting class will be very impressive, just not very big (I would imagine). It was just posted on uscho.com that Laurian Rougeau has committed to the big red. She's definitely a gamer. Captain of the Canadian U-18 last season and played for the U-22 team this year. She may be the best D in this years recruiting field. I've also just heard rumors that another very high profile canadian has committed as well. Also played on the U-18 national team and would be considered one of the top 2 forwards coming out of canada this year by many people.

Last I heard, Katie Allen did not commit to the big red. That article was printed last season when current frosh Young and Ogilvie committed, but the portion stating Allen had committed was a misprint.

Date: February 01, 2009 10:41PM

mattj711
It appears that this recruiting class will be very impressive, just not very big (I would imagine). It was just posted on uscho.com that Laurian Rougeau has committed to the big red. She's definitely a gamer. Captain of the Canadian U-18 last season and played for the U-22 team this year. She may be the best D in this years recruiting field. I've also just heard rumors that another very high profile canadian has committed as well. Also played on the U-18 national team and would be considered one of the top 2 forwards coming out of canada this year by many people.

Last I heard, Katie Allen did not commit to the big red. That article was printed last season when current frosh Young and Ogilvie committed, but the portion stating Allen had committed was a misprint.

Nice! Glad I was wrong with my prediction. I doubt I'll make it to any games next season, but that team should be a lot of fun to watch even if the current recruits are not as high impact as we might hope.

Thanks for the info!

Date: February 01, 2009 11:37PM

mattj711

Any confirmation on Rougeau? She would be a great addition next year. As for the forward...Jenner?

Date: February 02, 2009 12:11AM

Yes. The rumor mill has the forward you mentioned heading to Cornell, but since I haven't seen it substantiated I don't want to post it. The person that posted Rougeau's commitment has been pretty reliable about commitments out of Quebec in the past so I'd say that info is likely reliable.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2009 12:12AM by mattj711.

Posted by: ithacat (---.cbs.cornell.edu)
Date: February 02, 2009 07:16AM

Those two would make it a special, though small, class. Any idea why Jenner isn't playing in the PW this year?

I suspect Cornell's likely to add another forward...any more?

Date: February 02, 2009 06:46PM

She is playing in the CWHL, which is the replacement of the defunct NWHL league which is comprised of mostly post collegiate hockey players and many canadian national team members. It is definitely a step up from the PWHL.

Date: February 02, 2009 10:11PM

Thanks. I can't find any stats, but I see she's on Mississauga's roster (along with Shannon Moulson). Hope she's on board.

Date: February 02, 2009 10:37PM

I agree! I was beginning to get a little worried that this year's class was going to be a little below my increasingly higher standards (based off the last couple of years) but that all changed over the weekend. Would I be getting to greedy to want to see Marie-Philip Poulin commit to the Big Red next?

Date: February 03, 2009 11:00PM

mattj711
Would I be getting to greedy to want to see Marie-Philip Poulin commit to the Big Red next?

Absolutely not...:) Rougeau and Poulin are teammates at Dawson; Jenner and Poulin were teammates on the U18 squad...hmm.

That would be an incredible class.

Date: February 06, 2009 10:03PM

Cornell settles for a tie tonight at Q, as they let a 2-0 lead slip away in the third.

Posted by: mattj711 (---.184.21.98.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: February 06, 2009 10:16PM

Trotsky
Cornell settles for a tie tonight at Q, as they let a 2-0 lead slip away in the third.

It was a very frustrating game to watch. They started off very strong but than played they last 2 periods and much of overtime pretty apathetically.

Date: February 07, 2009 06:13PM

According to the ECAC site, Cornell and Princeton have entered overtime tied 2-2. The audio link on the Cornell site isn't working and neither is live stats, so it's a matter of trust.

Edit: now a final. According to the box, Cornell withstood a 12-2 shot differential in a scoreless third, and killed off an unfortunately named "hooking" call on Cathy White in the final 2 mins of regulation, to hold on for the tie.

Mixed weekend -- get tied by a weak team, tie a a strong team, all on their ice. The Red solidify their hold on a top 8 slot (7th place) and come home to face 2nd place Harvard and 3rd place Dartmouth in a huge weekend.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2009 06:45PM by Trotsky.

Date: February 07, 2009 07:38PM

Trotsky
According to the ECAC site, Cornell and Princeton have entered overtime tied 2-2. The audio link on the Cornell site isn't working and neither is live stats, so it's a matter of trust.

Edit: now a final. According to the box, Cornell withstood a 12-2 shot differential in a scoreless third, and killed off an unfortunately named "hooking" call on Cathy White in the final 2 mins of regulation, to hold on for the tie.

Mixed weekend -- get tied by a weak team, tie a a strong team, all on their ice. The Red solidify their hold on a top 8 slot (7th place) and come home to face 2nd place Harvard and 3rd place Dartmouth in a huge weekend.

A much much better performance for Cornell today against Princeton (though I missed the third period and based on the box score it was our weakest). I didn't see Karpenko's goal, but our second goal (White from Johnston) was absolutely beautiful. Defensively, we did a much better job of clearing rebounds and moving the puck out of our zone. I thought we had the edge in play over princeton the first two periods. And as you said, Princeton is a much strong team the Quinnipiac.

Date: February 13, 2009 10:45PM

The Total Crap Weekend continues with the women losing to Harvard, 5-2.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2009 04:07PM by Trotsky.

Date: February 14, 2009 04:07PM

4 pm start against Dartmouth, and Cornell withstands an early 5x3.

Date: February 14, 2009 06:32PM

Game ends in 3-3 tie. Overall, very good effort by Cornell this weekend. Although the final score doesn't show it, Cornell out played Harvard for a good portion of yesterday's game and the same goes for Dartmouth today.

Date: February 14, 2009 08:52PM

mattj711
Game ends in 3-3 tie. Overall, very good effort by Cornell this weekend. Although the final score doesn't show it, Cornell out played Harvard for a good portion of yesterday's game and the same goes for Dartmouth today.

Impressive. Harvard and Dartmouth are usually two of the top 3 in the league. Hopefully Cornell can keep building on good showings and start racking up some wins.

Date: February 18, 2009 12:29PM

ithacat
mattj711
Would I be getting to greedy to want to see Marie-Philip Poulin commit to the Big Red next?

Absolutely not...:) Rougeau and Poulin are teammates at Dawson; Jenner and Poulin were teammates on the U18 squad...hmm.

Matt, what do you think about Laura Fortino's decision to wear Red?
[www.thespec.com]

Posted by: mattj711 (---.181.21.98.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: February 18, 2009 11:10PM

ithacat
ithacat
mattj711

Matt, what do you think about Laura Fortino's decision to wear Red?
[www.thespec.com]

That is VERY good news. Cornell should take another HUGE step forward with the commitments they're receiving.

Posted by: imafrshmn (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 25, 2009 08:11PM

USAHockey.com's article on Rebecca Johnston

The article reports that Rebecca Johnston may potentially miss next season in order to train for the Canadian Olympic team. She is quite the athlete.

Posted by: mattj711 (---.219.140.67.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: February 26, 2009 06:28PM

Congrats to Rebecca Johnston, Catherine White and Amanda Young for their All-Ivy recognition.

Johnston was a unanimous selection to the All Ivy First Team. Catherine White was selected for the second team and was the unanimous selection for the rookie of their year. Amanda Young was also named to the second team.

Date: February 27, 2009 08:47PM

Harvard 3 Cornell 0 in the QF. Games 2 (and 3) at 2pm Saturday (and Sunday).
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2009 08:48PM by Trotsky.

Date: February 28, 2009 06:31PM

Harvard completes the sweep with a second shutout today, 4-0.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 28, 2009 07:11PM

Gotta stop playing these jock schools.

Posted by: mattj711 (---.171.29.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: February 28, 2009 11:51PM

The games were much closer than the final scores indicate. Cornell looked very solid defensively and offensively most of the time. Harvard's goalie stood on her head, and Cornell had a couple of defensive break downs which Harvard capitalized on. I'm already looking forward to next season. Their are some very good players on the way!

Posted by: mattj711 (---.217.140.67.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: March 02, 2009 06:22PM

Congrats to Rebecca Johnston on being named a top 10 finalist for the Patty Kaz Memorial Award, which is given out to the top female collegiate hockey player for the year.

Date: March 03, 2009 08:40PM

Johnston is named to ECAC First Team. White has been named the ECAC Rookie of the Year and to the ECAC Second Team and the All Rookie Team.

Posted by: mattj711 (---.14.117.75.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: March 17, 2009 08:32PM

Rebecca Johnston and incoming recruit Brianne Jenner will both be centralized with team Canada next season. While they will certainly be missed in the line up next year, this should be great PR for attracting other top recruits in coming years.

Date: March 17, 2009 10:15PM

mattj711
Rebecca Johnston and incoming recruit Brianne Jenner will both be centralized with team Canada next season. While they will certainly be missed in the line up next year, this should be great PR for attracting other top recruits in coming years.

Does this mean they retain eligibility for the following season? Seems to me that with great talent coming in and these women spending the year with the national team, 2010 will be a fun year to mature the kids, and then 2011 Cornell could be a power.

Posted by: mattj711 (---.14.117.75.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: March 17, 2009 11:44PM

Trotsky
mattj711

Does this mean they retain eligibility for the following season? Seems to me that with great talent coming in and these women spending the year with the national team, 2010 will be a fun year to mature the kids, and then 2011 Cornell could be a power.

Yes, they will maintain their eligibility. Both Harvard and Dartmouth have had players miss seasons due to national team centralization and still had all 4 years of eligibility.

Though we might be a little light up front next season if there aren't any other, as of yet, unannounced forward recruits coming in. We only dressed 3 forward lines for most of the second half of the season. With 2 forwards graduating and Johnston missing the season, that only leaves 2 returning forward lines from those that dressed during the 2nd half. I'm hoping that some of the players that weren't dressing were out due to injury and not leaving the team. I expect 2 D from last year to move back up front as that is where they started the season, but that still leaves us kind of light.

We should be quite strong at D and in the net next year.

Re: Cornell Women's Hockey 09-10
Date: July 02, 2009 06:08PM

Anyone know what's going on with the women's team? They seem to be one of the last ECAC teams to announce their incoming class & I'm guessing they're trying to clear some late additions? The roster sans 1st years, is 2 goalies, 3 defensemen, 10 forwards, and 1 D/F. It sounds like there's 2 known incoming defensemen coming in (Fortino and Rougeau). That seems rather light with bodies. I also see that Kim Insalaco's name is gone from the roster.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: July 02, 2009 06:35PM

ithacat
Anyone know what's going on with the women's team? They seem to be one of the last ECAC teams to announce their incoming class...
The men's team only officially announced their recruits today. So I wouldn't be too worried yet.

Posted by: mattj711 (---.218.140.67.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: July 02, 2009 08:43PM

Kim Insalaco got married this summer so she is no longer in the Ithaca area. I'm eagerly awaiting the official recruiting announcement myself. The summers are sooo slow.

Date: July 06, 2009 01:43PM

How big a loss is Kim? Recruiting has improved tremendously the past few years. Any idea who might be taking her place?

Posted by: mattj711 (---.218.140.67.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: July 06, 2009 07:57PM

Well, I'm a big believer that the head coach has a far greater ultimate impact on attracting and obtaining commitments from top notch talent. Certainly, assistants play a large role as well and often serve as the initial point of contact. I certainly hope they find another quality assistant coach to replace her, but I wouldn't expect recruiting to suffer.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.60.172.18.ded.snet.net)
Date: July 08, 2009 05:49PM

So weird to see Syracuse here:
2009-10 W. Hockey Schedule

Date: July 09, 2009 02:29PM

The Mercyhurst series is in the afternoon before the men's exhibition games. I love doubleheader action.

Posted by: mattj711 (---.220.140.67.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: July 09, 2009 06:16PM

The bio's on the 09-10 roster have been updated. Still no freshman posted but at least its a step in the right direction.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.60.172.18.ded.snet.net)
Date: July 10, 2009 01:59PM

Fortino and Rougeau for '09, Jenner for '10:
[cornellbigred.com]

Date: July 16, 2009 09:08PM

Congrats to Catherine White, Chelsea Karpenko, Lauriane Rougeau and Laura Fortino who were all invited to the Canadian U22 tryout camp!

[hockeycanada.com]

With Johnston and Jenner that makes 6 Cornell's actively involved with Hockey Canada's women's development program. Young was also invited last year, as has Mazzotta. That is kind of an incredible number!
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2009 09:10PM by mattj711.

Posted by: mattj711 (---.185.21.98.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: August 03, 2009 06:34PM

Cornell announced the hiring of Edith Zimmering today to replace Kim Insalaco who was married over the summer. [cornellbigred.com]

Also, the roster now includes Rougeau but Fortino has not yet been added.

Posted by: Roy 82 (128.18.14.---)
Date: August 04, 2009 09:07PM

mattj711
..... to replace Kim Insalaco who was married over the summer.

Is there an NCAA rule against married coaches? :-D

Posted by: TimV (---.amc.edu)
Date: August 05, 2009 11:02AM

If the coach marries a top recruit, it has to be considered a non-permitted inducement.

Scout: "This girl has 63 goals and 20 assists last year. She's a ferocious checker, and wins 80% of her faceoffs."

Coach: "God, I love her."

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: August 05, 2009 11:58AM

That may be the only thing NC$$ doesn't have rules about wank

Posted by: ebilmes (---.176.252.64.snet.net)
Date: August 17, 2009 05:26PM

Top recruit deciding between BC, Sucks, and Cornell.

[www.thetimesherald.com]

Posted by: mattj711 (---.117.91.75.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: August 17, 2009 11:41PM

ebilmes
Top recruit deciding between BC, Sucks, and Cornell.

[www.thetimesherald.com]

I'll definitely keep my fingers crossed on this one. I would love it if she chooses Cornell!!!

Posted by: mattj711 (---.lightspeed.bcvloh.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 21, 2009 09:32PM

Apparently, Cornell has received a commitment from a very solid Team Ontario Red player for next season.

Posted by: ithacat (128.253.194.---)
Date: October 22, 2009 12:09PM

mattj711
Apparently, Cornell has received a commitment from a very solid Team Ontario Red player for next season.

Is this someone who was here with Toronto?

According to USCHO it looks like Cornell also picked up someone from Shattuck.

Great weekend for hockey coming up...Mercyhurst for 2 against the women; men begin with Windsor and then finish with US U18ers. Ithaca native (and future Cornellian) Andy Iles is in-town with the national team. Should be a blast.

Posted by: mattj711 (---.222.140.67.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: October 22, 2009 06:26PM

Not an Aeros player but she does play in the PWHL. But I've heard 3 Aeros players have committed to Ivy League school...just none to Cornell, at least at this point.

I'm definitely looking forward to the games this weekend. Call me crazy, but I'm feeling very good about this weekend's series.

Posted by: imafrshmn (---.resnet.stonybrook.edu)
Date: October 22, 2009 07:31PM

mattj711
Not an Aeros player but she does play in the PWHL. But I've heard 3 Aeros players have committed to Ivy League school...just none to Cornell, at least at this point.

I'm definitely looking forward to the games this weekend. Call me crazy, but I'm feeling very good about this weekend's series.

Call me pessimistic, but I think the team will really miss Johnston. I predict Mercyhurst will win both.

p.s. You're crazy!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/2009 07:31PM by imafrshmn.

Posted by: mattj711 (---.222.140.67.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: October 22, 2009 08:45PM

imafrshmn
mattj711

Call me pessimistic, but I think the team will really miss Johnston. I predict Mercyhurst will win both.

p.s. You're crazy!

I know. banana

Date: October 22, 2009 09:19PM

It'll be fun just watching hockey again. Can't say I have a good feeling about the Mercyhurst series. It could be a daunting test coming out of the gate against the #1 team which has played 4 games and out-scored its opponents 16-3. My big concern is depth.

Date: October 23, 2009 04:12PM

MC 3-1 after 2. MC starts the 3rd with 1:01 remaining on a PP.

Let's Go Red...

Posted by: mattj711 (---.191.21.98.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: October 23, 2009 04:23PM

Cornell is playing pretty well.

Date: October 23, 2009 04:39PM

Is Fortino playing?

Date: October 23, 2009 04:47PM

Yes, quite well.

Date: October 23, 2009 04:55PM

They lost 4-1 (ENG). In no way a mismatch -- if Mercyhurst is truly a great team, the Red should be solid.

Date: October 23, 2009 05:02PM

Looking forward to seeing tomorrow's game.

Date: October 23, 2009 05:02PM

Trotsky
They lost 4-1 (ENG). In no way a mismatch -- if Mercyhurst is truly a great team, the Red should be solid.

I completely agree. Cornell skated right with them.

Date: October 24, 2009 05:14PM

4-1 Meryhurst again. Another good effort by Cornell. I do think this team is much better overall than last year's team. While goals will probably be a little harder to come by, based on what I saw, I think we'll give up fewer as well. Cornell skated right with Mercyhurst 90% of both games and even outplayed them for chunks. Unfortunately, we had a couple lapses and MC was very good at capitalizing on their opportunities.

Add Johnston and Jenner and TBA and this team should be extremely good next season.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2009 05:17PM by mattj711.

Date: October 24, 2009 06:21PM

mattj711
4-1 Meryhurst again. Another good effort by Cornell. I do think this team is much better overall than last year's team. While goals will probably be a little harder to come by, based on what I saw, I think we'll give up fewer as well. Cornell skated right with Mercyhurst 90% of both games and even outplayed them for chunks. Unfortunately, we had a couple lapses and MC was very good at capitalizing on their opportunities.

Add Johnston and Jenner and TBA and this team should be extremely good next season.

I had the feeling that this team was a year away from challenging for a league title, even with Johnston et al. Next year should be a lot of fun.

Date: October 24, 2009 09:47PM

Tom Lento
mattj711

I had the feeling that this team was a year away from challenging for a league title, even with Johnston et al. Next year should be a lot of fun.

Very impressed by Fortino. I thought she was the best player on the ice for either team. She might be the best skater for a Cornell team since Topher Scott. I still think Cornell plays too much like a collection of parts and not like a team.

Date: October 25, 2009 01:49AM

ithacat
Tom Lento
mattj711

Very impressed by Fortino. I thought she was the best player on the ice for either team. She might be the best skater for a Cornell team since Topher Scott. I still think Cornell plays too much like a collection of parts and not like a team.

Cornell had very good team play from the defensive zone through our neutral zone. Passing around the perimeter of the offensive zone wasn't bad. They could have used more team play through the slot area setting up their teammates.

All in all, I'm very pleased with how the team is playing.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2009 07:50AM by mattj711.

Date: October 26, 2009 10:18PM

Speaking of Laura Fortino's impressive play. Here is a great article on her in her hometown newspaper, the Hamilton Spectator...[www.thespec.com]

Date: October 26, 2009 10:30PM

Thanks for the link. She was a lot of fun to watch on Saturday. Maybe she can convince a couple of her former teammates at Stoney Creek to head to Cornell.

Posted by: mattj711 (---.216.140.67.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: October 30, 2009 05:36PM

Cornell with a great 3-0 win over Dartmouth this afternoon. Rougeau lead the way with a short handed goal and an assist. Laura Fortino also scored a very nice goal unassisted after keep the puck in on the blue line, skating around several dartmouth players and punching the puck past Dartmouths goalie on a wrap around. Kendice Ogilvie scored the first goal on the power play after slamming home Catherine White's rebound in a basically empty net.

Date: October 31, 2009 05:30PM

Cornell pulls off the weekend sweep, beating Harvard 4-3 out shooting them 26-19. White and Jue both with 3 points. Cornell looked a little flat in the first 2 period, but came out strong and pretty much controlled the 3rd.

Posted by: dag14 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 31, 2009 10:10PM

I thought Cornell looked pretty strong throughout the game. They scored first, Harvard needed powerplays for at least 2 of their goals and we forechecked better than the men did against Niagara. We also got outstanding goaltending and heads up play in our own end.

I have it on very good authority that this is the first weekend sweep of Harvard and Dartmouth in the history of the program making this win even more significant.

Date: October 31, 2009 10:35PM

dag14
I thought Cornell looked pretty strong throughout the game. They scored first, Harvard needed powerplays for at least 2 of their goals and we forechecked better than the men did against Niagara. We also got outstanding goaltending and heads up play in our own end.

I have it on very good authority that this is the first weekend sweep of Harvard and Dartmouth in the history of the program making this win even more significant.

I just thought we had more jump in the first 3 games and in the third period, compared to the first two periods today. We were very solid all game. I also really hate Harvard so maybe I was just hoping we'd stick it to them a little earlier. ;-) At any rate, I am very pleased with how this team is coming together.

Date: November 02, 2009 06:29PM

USCHO Nov. 2 poll has Cornell at #10. Neither Dartmouth or Harvard are ranked this week although both teams did receive some votes.

Posted by: ebilmes (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: November 04, 2009 10:39AM

Any word on why the Niesluchowski twins left the team?

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: November 04, 2009 12:26PM

ebilmes
Any word on why the Niesluchowski twins left the team?

probably because they couldn't fit their names on the uniforms. whistle

Posted by: mattj711 (---.cfbankmail.com)
Date: November 04, 2009 08:27PM

Now that it's on uscho.com....Hayleigh Cudmore a defended with the Oakville Ice/Team Ontario Red has apparently committed to Cornell. Appears to be another solid d pickup.

Date: November 06, 2009 05:31PM

Women win at Union this afternoon 4-0. Based on "Live Stats" from Union, we did everything better than they did.

Date: November 06, 2009 05:46PM

dag14
Women win at Union this afternoon 4-0. Based on "Live Stats" from Union, we did everything better than they did.

Nice...RPI beat Colgate 10-4. Should be a fun game tomorrow.

Posted by: mattj711 (---.171.29.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: November 07, 2009 05:23PM

Cornell gets another W with a 3-1 win over RPI. Shots were 29-19 RPI. RPI only had 1 shot after the first and 7 after 2.

Posted by: dag14 (---.calsnet.cornell.edu)
Date: November 09, 2009 04:59PM

USCHO Nov. 9 poll moves Cornell to #7!

Posted by: mattj711 (---.221.140.67.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: November 13, 2009 08:32PM

Cornell-Clarkson 0-0 after 2.

Posted by: mattj711 (---.221.140.67.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: November 13, 2009 09:24PM

Cornell wins 2-0. cheer

Posted by: Tom Tone (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 13, 2009 09:41PM

Congrats to the Union women who picked up there 4th point in 6 years by tying Brown, 0-0.

4 point decade...

Posted by: Tom Lento (---.corp.tfbnw.net)
Date: November 13, 2009 10:05PM

mattj711
Cornell wins 2-0. cheer

Nice! Cornell's off to an incredible start with 3 league wins against strong teams.

Page:  1 234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login