Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell Basketball in NYT Article

Posted by ebilmes 
Cornell Basketball in NYT Article
Posted by: ebilmes (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: November 10, 2008 11:22PM

The article is about moving the three-point line back a foot for this year.

[www.nytimes.com]

Re: Cornell Basketball in NYT Article
Posted by: CM cWo 44 (207.10.170.---)
Date: November 11, 2008 08:37AM

Anyone know the connection between the New York Times and Cornell basketball?

They offer a strangely disproportionate amount of coverage to the team, considering their relatively low national profile.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: November 11, 2008 09:31AM

CM cWo 44

They want to make amends for historically undercovering our football team compared to the rest of the Ivies?

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: CornellFan (---.nyc.megapath.net)
Date: November 11, 2008 09:58AM

There is more from the NY Times this week...

[cornellbasketball.blogspot.com]

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: November 11, 2008 10:01AM

Heh... "Newman Nation." :-D

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2008 10:01AM by Beeeej.

Posted by: RichH (---.northropgrumman.com)
Date: November 11, 2008 10:55AM

Beeeej

Yeah...you know I'm really starting to get tired of administrations and marketing gurus (and in this case player-bloggers) calling *every* fan base a "Nation." A second example just this week: Colgate selling hockey tickets to "Raider Nation." Really? "Nation?" It was cute and unique when the Boston media affixed the word to the Red Sox fan base (coined in 1986, but not in widespread use until the late '90s according to wikipedia), but now it's really annoying when other teams co-opt it, especially when used to describe something that is so NON-national as Colgate hockey or Cornell basketball. With Colgate, it's surprising since it could be taken as an allusion to Native American nations, which I thought they wanted to get away from...evidenced by dropping the "Red" from their nickname.

I also thought the CU basketball student section was called the "Red Zone" from the t-shirts they gave out, and has been around for more than one year.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: November 11, 2008 10:59AM

I was mostly amused because of the number of actual Newmans who generally prefer to spend their time in Lynah instead of Bartels/Newman, but yeah, what you said, too.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 11, 2008 11:41AM

jtwcornell91
CM cWo 44

They want to make amends for historically undercovering our football team compared to the rest of the Ivies?
I always just assumed that was because our football team isn't local like Columbia, HYP like HYP, nor historically successful like Penn. If Dartmouth football got a lot of coverage compared to Cornell football, that would be surprising.

Red Zone v Newman Nation
Posted by: CornellFan (---.nyc.megapath.net)
Date: November 11, 2008 01:00PM

RichH
Beeeej

Yeah...you know I'm really starting to get tired of administrations and marketing gurus (and in this case player-bloggers) calling *every* fan base a "Nation." A second example just this week: Colgate selling hockey tickets to "Raider Nation." Really? "Nation?" It was cute and unique when the Boston media affixed the word to the Red Sox fan base (coined in 1986, but not in widespread use until the late '90s according to wikipedia), but now it's really annoying when other teams co-opt it, especially when used to describe something that is so NON-national as Colgate hockey or Cornell basketball. With Colgate, it's surprising since it could be taken as an allusion to Native American nations, which I thought they wanted to get away from...evidenced by dropping the "Red" from their nickname.

I also thought the CU basketball student section was called the "Red Zone" from the t-shirts they gave out, and has been around for more than one year.

Here is what happened when we suggested to go back to the Red Zone name. Check out some of the comments.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: November 11, 2008 02:28PM

I'm with Rich. "xxxx nation" sounds silly and is overused. Plus, a couple years of solid fan support doesn't strike me as enough to earn a fan base a name. Keep it up for ten years, especially through a weak year or three, and then maybe.

besides, I'd prefer "the Fieldhouse formerly known as Alberding Nation".

Posted by: billhoward (---.sub-75-223-46.myvzw.com)
Date: November 11, 2008 08:53PM

For Colgate, it's more like Raider Principality.

Let's hope "________ Nation" dies out faster than "At the end of the day."

Posted by: Roy 82 (128.18.14.---)
Date: November 17, 2008 09:08PM

Not that it matters......but are you sure that the Red Sox that popularized the expression? Living in the By Area for most of the past 25 years, I seem to remember the term "Raider Nation" (as in Oakland Raiders) going way back.

Wkipedia says the Red Sox copied it so it must be true.:)

East Coast vs. West Coast. It is on.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2008 02:35AM by Roy 82.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login