Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Men's lax to play UVA

Posted by ithacat 
Men's lax to play UVA
Posted by: ithacat (128.253.193.---)
Date: June 12, 2008 07:41AM

...and tidbits on SU and an extension for JT.

[www.theithacajournal.com]

Re: Men's lax to play UVA
Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: June 12, 2008 11:46AM

Cornell and Syracuse first met in 1920, and have played 93 times since, marking one of the oldest rivalries in college lacrosse. The two programs have won a combined 13 national championships.
I hate to make fun of our program like this, but isn't that like saying "Greg and Mike Maddux have won a combined 389 MLB games"?

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: June 12, 2008 12:15PM

Josh '99

Cornell and Syracuse first met in 1920, and have played 93 times since, marking one of the oldest rivalries in college lacrosse. The two programs have won a combined 13 national championships.
I hate to make fun of our program like this, but isn't that like saying "Greg and Mike Maddux have won a combined 389 MLB games"?
It's probably closer to Phil (318) and Joe (221) Niekro. Three championships is nothing to sneeze at; Mike Maddux's 39 wins is.

Posted by: je08 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 12, 2008 02:28PM

KeithK
Josh '99

It's probably closer to Phil (318) and Joe (221) Niekro. Three championships is nothing to sneeze at; Mike Maddux's 39 wins is.

I like saying Ken Griffey Sr. and Jr. combined to hit 752 HR. Percentage-wise, 152/752 is pretty close to 3/13.

Date: June 12, 2008 08:06PM

Yeah, I'm sure there are better examples, I just didn't have time to hunt them down. I agree that three championships is nothing to sneeze at, but phrasing it as "combined for 13 championships" to me implies a more equal distribution of those 13.

Posted by: ugarte (38.136.14.---)
Date: June 13, 2008 05:41PM

There was an ex-broadcaster or coach who used to say that he and Wilt Chamberlain "once combined for 112 points."

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: June 15, 2008 09:43PM

ugarte
There was an ex-broadcaster or coach who used to say that he and Wilt Chamberlain "once combined for 112 points."
And 5006 partners.

Posted by: Hillel Hoffmann (---.usb.temple.edu)
Date: June 16, 2008 01:13PM

ithacat
...and tidbits on SU and an extension for JT.

This is unfrigginbelievable. Seriously. I never thought I'd see the day when one of the established southern lacrosse superpowers would dare to play Cornell in a fair, home-and-home series again. My first thought was that this was the first such series since Cornell played Maryland a while back, but a far more knowledgable source said that the Terps insisted on two games in College Park for every game in Ithaca -- an agreement typical of the bullshit that Cornell has had to put up with in recent years, when the only games against ACC teams have emerged from agreements yielding spring break road games with no reciprocal home games. So I suppose the last fair, home-and-home series against a southern superpower was the iconic series against Johns Hopkins that lapsed in the early 1980s.

The timing couldn't be better. Virginia is in a good position to be a top-ranked team for the next few years.

So here's what I don't understand: Why, as rumored, did Princeton drop their annual game with the Cavs? Without the Tigers dropping Virginia, a Cornell-UVA series may not have happened.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/16/2008 01:31PM by Hillel Hoffmann.

Posted by: TimV (---.amc.edu)
Date: June 17, 2008 03:27PM

Easy one.

Virginia got disatisfied with playing the perrenial number two team in the Ivies...:-D:-D

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: June 18, 2008 06:24PM

Could it be UVA coach Dom Starsia is one of the true gentleman coaches of lacrosse, and being a Brown grad, has a soft spot in his heart for the Ivies? Not to replay a question more than three decades old, but: How did Starsia ever escape Richie Moran's recruiting web?

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: June 18, 2008 07:59PM

billhoward
Could it be UVA coach Dom Starsia is one of the true gentleman coaches of lacrosse, and being a Brown grad, has a soft spot in his heart for the Ivies? Not to replay a question more than three decades old, but: How did Starsia ever escape Richie Moran's recruiting web?
Cornell and UVA lacrosse go back a long way. Cornell's 1971 NCAA championship team lost its season opener at UVA, then won thirten straight.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: June 18, 2008 08:52PM

billhoward

I think Starsia was a football player who picked up lacrosse after he started at Brown.

Posted by: ben03 (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: June 23, 2008 11:19PM

yup, see bottom of UVA's Starsia bio page

"Starsia is a graduate of Valley Stream Central High School, where he was an outstanding football player. He had never seen a lacrosse game before entering Brown as a student in 1970. Showing natural talent for the game, however, he became one of the best defensemen in school history."

definitely appears to be cut from the same cloth as Simmons (Sr & Jr) and Urick and is the gentlemen's gentleman.

for some coaching antonym's see Mike Pressler or asshole Bill Tierney

Vail Shootout
Date: July 10, 2008 08:01PM

Some interesting stuff here on the Vail (lacrosse) Shootout, where the "elite" competition was won by a "Cornell-based" team: [insidelacrosse.com]

Date: July 21, 2008 02:16PM

Myers gets another year of eligibility: [blogs.insidelacrosse.com]

Article also reports Dartmouth's faceoff guy (who graduated) going to Virginia in order to get his year of eligibility.

Date: July 21, 2008 04:39PM

Is there no requirement ot sit out a year after transferring if you have graduated from the first institution? Is this a blanket rule for all sports and leagues? Would a Wolverine quarterback who graduated in four years be able to play for the Buckeyes the following season as a nominal grad student?

Date: July 21, 2008 05:09PM

KeithK
Is there no requirement ot sit out a year after transferring if you have graduated from the first institution? Is this a blanket rule for all sports and leagues? Would a Wolverine quarterback who graduated in four years be able to play for the Buckeyes the following season as a nominal grad student?
Dunno, but it may have something to do with the fact that you are ineligible to use that granted year of eligibility at your original [Ivy] school.

Date: July 21, 2008 06:29PM

Al DeFlorio
KeithK
Dunno, but it may have something to do with the fact that you are ineligible to use that granted year of eligibility at your original [Ivy] school.
That sounds about right, and would (if you change "ineligible" to "unable";) be consistent with the fact that the guy who's transferring to Cornell from Wayne State doesn't have to sit a year either.

Date: July 21, 2008 06:40PM

Josh '99
Al DeFlorio
KeithK
That sounds about right, and would (if you change "ineligible" to "unable";) be consistent with the fact that the guy who's transferring to Cornell from Wayne State doesn't have to sit a year either.
I know that there is no requirement to sit out when the previous program was terminated. We've seen that several times now in hockey.

I guess I'd be surprised if the NCAA had a rule about eligibility that made allowances for the more restrictive practices of the Ivy League. That just seems out of character.

Posted by: ithacat (128.253.193.---)
Date: July 22, 2008 07:20AM

I believe football, men's basketball, and men's hockey are the only sports that require a transferring player to sit out a year, above exception noted.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2008 11:45PM by ithacat.

Posted by: jkahn (---.73.146.216.biz.sta.networkgci.net)
Date: July 22, 2008 02:14PM

ithacat
I believe football, men's basketball, and men's hockey are the only sports that require a tranferring player to sit out a year, above exception noted.
For example, Justin Milo couldn't play hockey for Vermont this past season, but did play baseball (and led the team in hitting).
[www.uvm.edu]

Cornell lacrosse fall ball
Date: September 09, 2008 08:38AM

Looks like Cornell may get to see Virginia on October 11 in the fall ball event at Annapolis. Other teams participating are: Hopkins; Georgetown; Ohio State; Navy; and Virginia.

[www.laxpower.com]

Re: Cornell lacrosse fall ball
Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: September 09, 2008 08:41PM

Al DeFlorio
Looks like Cornell may get to see Virginia on October 11 in the fall ball event at Annapolis. Other teams participating are: Hopkins; Georgetown; Ohio State; Navy; and Virginia.

[www.laxpower.com]

The team might be more interested in a rematch against Ohio State after last year's debacle. bang

Date: September 27, 2008 08:55PM

Back problems force Gradinger and Dorne to "retire" from lacrosse. Defense takes a real hit.

Posted by: BCrespi (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 27, 2008 11:34PM

Al DeFlorio
Back problems force Gradinger and Dorne to "retire" from lacrosse. Defense takes a real hit.

That is unfortunate news. Too bad for the guys, even more than the team. I had to read this sentence a couple of times before I realized Tambroni wasn't annoying his replacements somehow.

IJ
Tambroni ticked off sophomore Chris Livadas, junior Courtney Baker, junior Michael Howe and sophomore Ethan Gilbert as the current leading cast to replace Dorne and Gradinger.

Posted by: Steve Rockey (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 28, 2008 12:50AM

Dorne was in effect announce earlier in the roster on the web but I wondered what the story was.

Gradinger is a surprise to me but he clearly had limited mobility (maybe not the right word -- flexibility, quickness, ??) last year (and the year before) although I loved his very physical defense in close.

The defense has question marks but I hope it will be ok.

Date: September 29, 2008 10:56AM

BCrespi
Al DeFlorio

That is unfortunate news. Too bad for the guys, even more than the team. I had to read this sentence a couple of times before I realized Tambroni wasn't annoying his replacements somehow.

IJ
Tambroni ticked off sophomore Chris Livadas, junior Courtney Baker, junior Michael Howe and sophomore Ethan Gilbert as the current leading cast to replace Dorne and Gradinger.
Heh, I didn't know the IJ had Brits doing their sports writing.

Rough news for both the individuals and the team, obviously.

Posted by: Hillel Hoffmann (---.usb.temple.edu)
Date: September 29, 2008 12:03PM

Al DeFlorio

Yes, a big hit indeed. They'll be missed. This team already lacked depth at close defense.

I don't know about Dorne's situation, but I understand that Gradinger had been wrestling with chronic problems for years (a plague on Schoellkopf's old artificial turf). The fact that he played as much as he did says a lot about his mental toughness.

I like Livadas -- I think he'll do well and likely find a starting role either at close defense or long-stick middie alongside Moyer, Derkac and MacDonald (Feely might be in the mix too). But there's a big drop-off after that. Really big.

Posted by: markrosen (---.darwinpro.com)
Date: September 29, 2008 04:06PM

The coaches are very high on Ethan Gilbert, another middie converting to defense. Last year they were talking about his Mitch Belisle-like potential. Despite their great success converting mids, it's interesting how few high school defensemen they've gotten in recent years, although there are atleast two defense recruits in the next recruiting class.

Posted by: Steve Rockey (---.empsl.cornell.edu)
Date: September 30, 2008 05:01PM

Who will be the candidates to start at short stick defensive midfield?

Posted by: markrosen (---.area3.spcsdns.net)
Date: October 04, 2008 03:23PM

Some of those listed as candidates to replace the departed close defensemen are also candidates for short stick d middie: Michael Howe and Ethan Gilbert. Two freshmen may see some action there: Mitch McMichael and Chris Langton, but very few freshmen have started in recent years. I'd also love to see Austin Boykin get more pt anywhere-- he was a highly recruited all-MIAA player but has not seen the field much. George Calvert returns and will no doubt start at d-mid. He is physically tough, and as a former attackman transitions easily to offense. But he just lacks the foot speed to keep up with very quick players and though improved, he still gets burned a little too frequently.

Re: Cornell lacrosse fall ball
Date: October 08, 2008 07:18PM

Swampy
Al DeFlorio

[www.laxpower.com]

The team might be more interested in a rematch against Ohio State after last year's debacle. bang
Looks like they'll get that rematch. The complete schedule for Navy's fall ball event is here: [www.insidelacrosse.com]

Navy vs. Cornell at noon

Ohio State vs. Cornell at 2:30

Navy fall ball event results...
Date: October 11, 2008 07:12PM

...are here: [blogs.insidelacrosse.com]

Note that Glynn and Myers didn't play (not eligible until spring semester) and Moyer has an injured knee (as if losing Dorne and Gradinger didn't hurt the D enough).

Re: Navy fall ball event results...
Posted by: markrosen (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: October 12, 2008 05:46PM

Cornell was very sloppy which was to be expected. Rob Pannell is a very good addition on attack. The defense is very thin, and not physical at all. Feely looked pretty good and had some good hits at LSM. Both goalies had their moments-- Martinez looks thinner and quicker. If Meyers goes into one of his funks, either should be at least an adequate replacement. Freshmen Roy Lang ran on the second midfield with Austin Boykin who looked pretty good. Jack Dudley also saw time on that line as did Christian Pastirik who I think has previously only played attack in an injury-plagued career. I'm not sure whether Shane O'Neill played but he also is a candidate for the second line. Other than defense, there is lots of depth. Matt Sutherland appears to be another option on faceoffs-- he took several and was very effective. On the other hand Kevin Raesley, who wowed with his face off prowess last fall and then did not play during the season, was not in uniform. Anybody know the story with him?

Date: October 14, 2008 09:09PM

Video highlights here: [video.insidelacrosse.com]

Last clip shows George Calvert playing attack, not short-stick middie.

Inside Lacrosse observations on the weekend's fall ball here: [blogs.insidelacrosse.com]

Here's the paragraph on Cornell (listed under "A lot of work to be done):

"Cornell’s offense. The Big Red scored two goals in the second half of a 10-7 loss to Ohio State on Saturday. Both came on 1-on-1 moves from freshman attackman Rob Pannell (Smithtown West, NY). The clearing game needs work, too. Though it was interesting to see Max Seibald take regular shifts as a d-middie."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2008 09:18PM by Al DeFlorio.

Posted by: markrosen (---.darwinpro.com)
Date: October 15, 2008 10:28AM

Actually Calvert mostly ran with Seibald and Romero on the first midfield. Obviously that will change when Glynn returns. I don't know what was behind that-- maybe they are considering a position change for him, but I suspect they were just letting him have some fun, and trying to see who should run on a second and even third offensive midfield.

What date at UVa next spring?
Posted by: TimV (---.amc.edu)
Date: October 22, 2008 01:13PM

Can't retrieve the article for some reason...

Posted by: KenP (---.nws.noaa.gov)
Date: November 19, 2008 03:06PM

FYI on tickets directly from the UVA ticket office.
Ref: [www.virginiasports.com]

2008 Single Game Tickets
Reserved $ 9.00
GA – Adults $ 7.00
GA – Youth (18 & Under) $ 5.00
GA – Senior (60 & Over) $ 5.00
GA – Faculty/Staff: (Limit 2) $ 5.00 *

* Limit 2 discounted tickets per active faculty/staff member when presenting a valid UVA ID at the Klöckner Stadium ticket booth.

Single game men's and women's lacrosse tickets are available in advance of the game through the Virginia Athletics Ticket Office beginning February 2. Tickets can be ordered in person at Bryant Hall with a major credit card, by phone at (800) 542-8821 or online by clicking here. Advance ticket sales end 3 hours prior to the game.

Tickets are also available on game day at the Klöckner Stadium ticket windows, subject to availability, beginning one hour prior to the match. Fans are strongly encouraged to purchase tickets in advance of game day, as advance purchase avoids the need to wait in line prior to entering the stadium and allows fans to reach their seat more quickly.
Group Tickets

Virginia lacrosse group tickets are the perfect way for family, friends, co-workers, sports teams, church groups, companies and civic groups to enjoy a fun group outing! Tickets for groups of 20 or more start at just $4.00 per person - a savings of over 40% off the regular game day price! To qualify for group discounts, fans must purchase group tickets in advance of the game by calling the Virginia Athletics Ticket Office at (800) 542-8821. All groups will see their name in lights on the Hoo Vision video board at Klockner Stadium.
Reserved – Groups (20+) $ 5.00
General Admission – Groups (20+) $ 4.00
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2009 12:50PM by KenP.

Posted by: KenP (---.nws.noaa.gov)
Date: February 03, 2009 12:55PM

I just fixed my previous post. Single game tickets went on sale yesterday. Here is the direct link to the ticket site.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login