Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Collin Robinson-Basketballl

Posted by CornellFan 
Collin Robinson-Basketballl
Posted by: CornellFan (---.nyc.megapath.net)
Date: May 27, 2008 11:07AM

As we reported last week on The Cornell Basketball Blog--- Collin Robinson is headed back to USC.

The LA Times caught the story and published an article today (link on the Blog).

Collin had some interesting comments about the Cornell basketball team.

Have fun with this one folks.

[cornellbasketball.blogspot.com]

Re: Collin Robinson-Basketballl
Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.itt.com)
Date: May 27, 2008 12:44PM

Direct link for those not wishing to be a party to copyright infringement (sorry CornellFan, but it is):
[www.latimes.com]

Posted by: Jordan 04 (155.72.24.---)
Date: May 27, 2008 12:46PM

I don't see where he speaks about the Cornell men's basketball team.

I do see, however, where he speaks about his own selfishness. Shouldn't the success of the team be reward and recognition enough for reducing your potential role? What "recognition" was he looking for?

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: May 27, 2008 12:55PM

This guy's a first-class whiner. He's dreaming if he thinks the USC coach is going to beg him to play. No loss, I'd say.

Posted by: ugarte (38.136.14.---)
Date: May 27, 2008 02:57PM

You are all reacting a lot more harshly than I am. Robinson appears to have felt that he sublimated himself to the team and his efforts weren't appreciated. That sounds to me like he thought that he was being a team player but the coaching staff still felt that he was too me-first. No big deal; the team soldiered on just fine without him.

He also doesn't seem to expect Floyd to offer him an opportunity to walk on at USC. If anything, Robinson doesn't expect it. He indicated that Floyd as much as told him that the conditional scholarship wasn't going to be renewed for his sophomore year.

Date: May 27, 2008 04:06PM

I just want to add that the article is very fair and factually accurate with respect to the situation revolving around Collin's departure from USC before he arrived at Cornell.

Date: May 27, 2008 04:11PM

No comment Delta--- except will add that LA Times took this planted story from us.

And despite what Collin told the LA Times, his official party line, if he has an opportunity to walk-on, that kid will run after it.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 27, 2008 07:55PM

CornellFan
No comment Delta--- except will add that LA Times took this planted story from us.

They may very well have gotten the original story from you, but they still paid an employee to compile a custom story that they have the rights too.

Even if the original report source did matter (it doesn't), don't pretend to tell me that you are the original source for every IJ article you've ever reprinted in full without permission.

Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: May 27, 2008 11:48PM

It's amazing that he says the only thing that concerns him now is the academics. With all due respect to USC, if general academics "are the focus right now," then surely one would choose Cornell over USC.

Perhaps he left Cornell because USC's broadcast journalism program is so outstanding, but the article doesn't mention this. Perhaps he also didn't like Ithaca weather or wanted to be closer to home, but the article doesn't mention such things either. The only reason it does give for the transfer is that at Cornell "he felt his sacrifices as a team player went unappreciated."

Let's see. You feel your efforts on a D-I varsity basketball team are unappreciated, so you change schools for another one where you will only play intramurals? Is the point that you want to be a big fish in a little pond so you'd rather be an intramural star than a varsity sixth man? You also don't have to transfer schools to play intramurals.

What's missing here?

Date: May 28, 2008 10:34AM

The communications program, going home, the weather were ALL factors in his decision to return to LA and USC. But there were also other factors that caused him to leave the basketball team that had nothing to do with USC/LA.

We will keep these reasons off The Cornell Basketball Blog and ELynah-- because they are private and only for the team only.

But read between the lines in the LA Times story. Sometimes teams have internal issues.

Posted by: Tom Lento (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: May 28, 2008 10:51AM

Swampy
It's amazing that he says the only thing that concerns him now is the academics. With all due respect to USC, if general academics "are the focus right now," then surely one would choose Cornell over USC.

Perhaps he left Cornell because USC's broadcast journalism program is so outstanding, but the article doesn't mention this.

I don't think it's a stretch to say that Cornell has the second best broadcast journalism program in *Ithaca* so when I saw his major it made perfect sense to me that he'd go to Annenberg/USC for academic reasons. If he's serious about getting a job in broadcasting, there are many places that would offer better opportunities than Cornell.

It doesn't seem like his departure is the death knell for Cornell's Ivy title hopes next season, and maybe there were personality issues behind the scenes - this might be better all around. Good luck to him.

Date: May 28, 2008 10:58AM

Tom Lento
Swampy

It doesn't seem like his departure is the death knell for Cornell's Ivy title hopes next season, and maybe there were personality issues behind the scenes - this might be better all around. Good luck to him.

Cornell went 14-0 in the Ivy without him.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: May 28, 2008 05:20PM

CornellFan
But there were also other factors that caused him to leave the basketball team that had nothing to do with USC/LA.

We will keep these reasons off The Cornell Basketball Blog and ELynah-- because they are private and only for the team only.

So if they are private don't bring it up here. Are you trying to say that you are aware of private info that only the team should know. If so, so be it, but you don't have to tell the world that you know the reason, but you can't tell us.

Frankly I don't care what his reason was and this part of the discussion seems meaningless. He came, he left, the team did well, to me that's the end of it.

Date: May 28, 2008 06:19PM

Jim,

I was merely advising the board that there is a bit more substance than just his on-the-record stated reasons for leaving Cornell (e.g. academic major or weather).

Posted by: ugarte (38.136.14.---)
Date: May 28, 2008 06:56PM

Jim Hyla
CornellFan
But there were also other factors that caused him to leave the basketball team that had nothing to do with USC/LA.

So if they are private don't bring it up here. Are you trying to say that you are aware of private info that only the team should know. If so, so be it, but you don't have to tell the world that you know the reason, but you can't tell us.

Frankly I don't care what his reason was and this part of the discussion seems meaningless. He came, he left, the team did well, to me that's the end of it.
I think CornellFan's point is that there is no sense in nitpicking the stated reasons for Robinson's departure, since the actual reasons were personal. Not illicit, but personal - though everyone has agreed to play nice in public.

Posted by: Dpperk29 (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: May 28, 2008 06:56PM

CornellFan
Jim,

I was merely advising the board that there is a bit more substance than just his on-the-record stated reasons for leaving Cornell (e.g. academic major or weather).

I would wager that most of us had already figured it out before you gave us this wonderful public service announcement

Posted by: French Rage (---.packetdesign.com)
Date: May 28, 2008 09:59PM

Dpperk29
CornellFan
Jim,

I would wager that most of us had already figured it out before you gave us this wonderful public service announcement

PM him for more details. :-P

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: BCrespi (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 28, 2008 11:28PM

French Rage
Dpperk29
CornellFan
Jim,

PM him for more details. :-P

I am shocked it took this long for this joke to be made.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: June 03, 2008 07:57AM

Al DeFlorio
This guy's a first-class whiner. He's dreaming if he thinks the USC coach is going to beg him to play. No loss, I'd say.

Maybe he's inner-directed. Maybe actually being in Ithaca during the winter was more difficult than he imagined. Maybe he thinks the beauty of the USC campus, in downtown LA, is underappreciated. Maybe there was a team chemistry issue. Maybe he has a higher opinion of the quality of his play than the coaches did.

LA Tiimes
"My coach knew that I could have basically averaged 20 points easily in that league, but I reduced my role for team chemistry and cohesiveness and no one recognized my efforts at all or appreciated it," Robinson said.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login