Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

[LAX] Cornell - Binghamton (Final)

Posted by ugarte 
[LAX] Cornell - Binghamton (Final)
Posted by: ugarte (38.136.14.---)
Date: March 25, 2008 04:19PM

The replay of the weather-delayed game is underway.

1st Per.
1-0 CU (Ritchie from Glynn)
2-0 CU (Espey)
3-0 CU (Ritchie)
4-0 CU (Hurley from Ritchie)
As far as I can tell, Binghamton has no shots nobody is keeping shot stats for Bing, because Myers has 4 saves.
5-0 CU (Finn from Espey)
End of 1st
---
2d Per.
5-1 CU (Boyce from Joy)
6-1 CU (Siebald from Espey - EMO)
6-2 CU (Mulheron)
6-3 CU (Boyce from Cook)
7-3 CU (Hurley from Corbolotti)
7-4 CU (Mulheron from Boyce)
8-4 CU (Finn from Ritchie)
End of 2d
---
3d per.
9-4 CU (Hurley) Hat trick!
10-4 CU (Doctor)
11-4 CU (Doctor from Calvert)
End of 3d
---
4th Per.
12-4 CU (Hurley from Doctor)
12-5 CU (Welch)
End of Game (I assume - the clock froze at 0:02, so if I'm wrong, I'm not that wrong)

Edited 20 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2008 05:51PM by ugarte.

Re: [LAX] Cornell - Binghamton
Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.caltech.edu)
Date: March 25, 2008 04:20PM

Looks like Tommy Schmicker is back taking faceoffs for this game.

Date: March 25, 2008 05:09PM

Third period:
9-4 CU (Hurley)
10-4 CU (Doctor)
11-4 CU (Doctor from Calvert)
End of Period

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2008 05:29PM by ugarte.

Posted by: RichH (216.195.201.---)
Date: March 25, 2008 05:20PM

ugarte
Third period:
9-4 Hurley

10-4 Doctor
11-4 Doctor (Calvert)

2 goals from Doctor in the final 0:15 of the 3rd. Barry needs to stop with the puns off the last names lest he starts sounding like the guy from Texas.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2008 05:21PM by RichH.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 25, 2008 05:23PM

Jacob '06
Looks like Tommy Schmicker is back taking faceoffs for this game.
I'm guessing Tambroni would rather not have Glynn and Seibald taking face-offs unless really necessary. Tiring stuff, and it would be best not to have the two best middies wearing themselves out doing it unless necessary.

Forcing a lot of passes during clearing and in the offensive zone today. Wish we had a full week to prepare for Saturday's game at Penn. Likely the toughest two Ivy opponents--P and P--are played away this year. Harvard is also away, and they're much improved this year.

Posted by: RichH (216.195.201.---)
Date: March 25, 2008 05:31PM

Martinez in goal to start the 4th.

4th:

One goal from Hurley in each quarter. Bench coming in gradually.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2008 05:33PM by RichH.

Date: March 25, 2008 05:31PM

4th Per.
12-5 CU (Welch)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2008 05:44PM by ugarte.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 25, 2008 06:08PM

RichH
Barry needs to stop with the puns off the last names lest he starts sounding like the guy from Texas.

You're new around here, aren't you? ;)

Re: [LAX] Cornell - Binghamton (Final)
Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 25, 2008 10:24PM

Army beat Hofstra on a last second shot. Good to see our opponents doing well against other teams, something that did not happen last year. Will certainly help our SOS going forward.

Hey, who am I kidding. Regardless (and as always), we're going to get screwed somewhere down the line anyway scream

Date: March 25, 2008 11:28PM

Other Cornell opponents' scores today:

Princeton 7-6 over Rutgers.

Harvard led Duke 2-0 after 12 minutes, but 10-3 Duke final.

Yale 11-3 over Hartford.

Dartmouth 21-12 over Holy Cross.

Brown 11-7 over Vermont.

Syracuse 13-5 over Hobart.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 25, 2008 11:52PM

Nothing really surprising there, I don't think, except maybe for Harvard having a lead on Duke at any point.

Wobus RPI as of March 27
Date: March 28, 2008 09:21AM

I know it's still early in the season, but I never expected to see this: [www.vaporia.com]

Re: Wobus RPI as of March 27
Posted by: Hillel Hoffmann (---.usb.temple.edu)
Date: March 28, 2008 11:24AM

Al DeFlorio
I know it's still early in the season, but I never expected to see this: [www.vaporia.com]
Holy crap, that's amazing. Thanks, Al. It's great to see how many of Cornell's past and future opponents are doing well in the ratings percentage index. There will be big changes in the coming weeks, for sure, but for now Syracuse seems entrenched in the 1-5 zone, Army and Navy are in the 6-10 zone, and somehow Denver and Binghamton are in the 11-15 zone. The other Ivy teams are way down the index, which isn't good.

I'm never entirely convinced that Wobus (or any of the other independent ratings compilers) do their indices exactly the way the NCAA does. Doesn't the NCAA do their own RPI?

Date: March 28, 2008 11:41AM

Hillel Hoffmann
Al DeFlorio
Holy crap, that's amazing. Thanks, Al. It's great to see how many of Cornell's past and future opponents are doing well in the ratings percentage index. There will be big changes in the coming weeks, for sure, but for now Syracuse seems entrenched in the 1-5 zone, Army and Navy are in the 6-10 zone, and somehow Denver and Binghamton are in the 11-15 zone. The other Ivy teams are way down the index, which isn't good.

I'm never entirely convinced that Wobus (or any of the other independent ratings compilers) do their indices exactly the way the NCAA does. Doesn't the NCAA do their own RPI?
Unfortunately, it appears to be murky. Here's a quote from laxpower:

"The NCAA has not published the actual ratios they use (here 1/4 [team's record], 1/2 [opponents' records], and 1/4 [opponents' opponents' records]), so that is currently a best guess based on the numbers used for college football."

Here's how laxpower's RPI calculation looks: [www.laxpower.com]

Those who are really into comparing different ranking systems should check this out: [www.vaporia.com]

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.itt.com)
Date: March 28, 2008 02:41PM

Towards the end of last season, the NCAA started publishing official lax RPI 'ordering'. I call it ordering because it didn't say what the RPI value was, but it listed the teams in order. I did a comparison - which I posted on laxpower - and Wobus was the only person to get every team in the exact same position as the NCAA listings, though all of them were pretty close I think.

I don't recall where those NCAA listings were posting, but maybe someone on laxpower remembers.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.itt.com)
Date: March 28, 2008 02:44PM

Btw, anyone want to give me a low down on parking near Franklin Field? And directions from the NYC area (NJTurnpike to 295 to 76 over the Walt Wittman to South Street is basically what Google says)?

I could get there on my own, but if there's any inside tips to know - esp about parking - I'd appreciate it.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: March 28, 2008 02:49PM

DeltaOne81
Towards the end of last season, the NCAA started publishing official lax RPI 'ordering'. I call it ordering because it didn't say what the RPI value was, but it listed the teams in order. I did a comparison - which I posted on laxpower - and Wobus was the only person to get every team in the exact same position as the NCAA listings, though all of them were pretty close I think.
Of course, the NCAA may well be tweaking the formulas from year to year, in which case what was right last year may not still be right.

Date: March 28, 2008 03:37PM

KeithK
Of course, the NCAA may well be tweaking the formulas from year to year, in which case what was right last year may not still be right.
"OK, Johns Hopkins is 3-3. What do we need to change to make them a 1 seed?"

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.dhcp.oxfr.ma.charter.com)
Date: March 28, 2008 07:06PM

DeltaOne81
Btw, anyone want to give me a low down on parking near Franklin Field? And directions from the NYC area (NJTurnpike to 295 to 76 over the Walt Wittman to South Street is basically what Google says)?

I could get there on my own, but if there's any inside tips to know - esp about parking - I'd appreciate it.

Spelling Nazi: Whitman

If it were my choice, I'd stay on the turnpike, and then either take the Ben Franklin to I-676 (The Vine Expressway) to I-76 (aka the Schuylkill Expresway) south to South Street, or from the turnpike to the 42 freeway to the Walt Whitman / I-76 to South Street.

Just after you turn onto South Street from I-76, there will be a parking garage on your left. They gouge for parking, but that's where I usually park. It's right acrosss from the stadium.

And a warning: South Street is one of the most dangerous entrance ramps onto the Schuylkill. It's a very short ramp that enters into the fast lane of traffic. Drive defensively.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 28, 2008 07:56PM

It doesn't look like there's any direct access the Turnpike to either 76/676 or 42 - all of them require side roads for half a mile or so. Is that true?

Meanwhile, any recommendation between the Whitman (spelling fixed) or the Ben Franklin? Or is it a 'listen to traffic' thing? Google gives me the Whitman route, but the Penn directions say to take the Ben Franklin - dunno if there's a reason for that.

Just after you turn onto South Street from I-76, there will be a parking garage on your left. They gouge for parking, but that's where I usually park. It's right across from the stadium.

Penn also lists a lot at 34th & Civic Center Blvd ("Penn Tower Hotel";). No chance that's more reasonable is there? If there's something with a reasonable parking max, I may consider taking one of the trolley/subway lines to downtown Philly after the game. I've been near and around Philly, but never really to the city, so we're thinking of spending a few hours after the game.

P.S. The South Street ramps look a bit like the Pulaski Skyway left entrances/exits, except without the vertical grade (as best I can tell).
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2008 08:25PM by DeltaOne81.

Posted by: RichH (76.28.11.---)
Date: March 28, 2008 08:03PM

Jeff Hopkins '82

(aka the Schuylkill Expresway)

Spelling Fascist: Expressway

Sorry. I had to.

Date: March 28, 2008 08:28PM

Edit
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2008 08:35PM by Jeff Hopkins '82.

Date: March 28, 2008 08:34PM

RichH
Jeff Hopkins '82

(aka the Schuylkill Expresway)

Spelling Fascist: Expressway

Sorry. I had to.

Yeah but at least I got Schuylkill right. banana

Don't know about the other lot. Maybe Hillel knows.

I took a look at the maps. You're right, 295 does connect to the freeways on the Jersey side, but the Turnpike doesn't. Probably easier to take 295.

So, on the southern route, as you come off 295, you get put right onto NJ 42 or I-76 (I forget which it is at that point but it's well signposted). That leads right into the Walt. You can take either the express or the local lanes. You go through the tolls (on the PA side) and you're on the Schuylkill.

And another warning: If you take the Schuylkill home from Penn to the Walt, there is a very confusing stretch between Penn and the bridge. As you get on at South Street heading east, you'll go up over a flyover lined with billboards. As you come down off of that the road will bend to the left with a refinery on your right. There will be two left hand exits that look like the the main road (28th St. and Passyunk Ave.) However, at that point the main expressway bears off to the right in a single lane that looks like a right hand exit. But it's the main road.

Oh and another confusing thing - the Schuylkill runs mostly north-south, but it's labellel east-west, because it's I-76, which up until it heads into Philly, does run east-west. West = north, East = south.

And South Street runs over the Schuylkill, so the ramps onto the Expressway from South St. do run downhill. They are nasty.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2008 08:38PM by Jeff Hopkins '82.

Posted by: Hillel Hoffmann (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: March 29, 2008 12:03AM

DeltaOne81
Btw, anyone want to give me a low down on parking near Franklin Field? And directions from the NYC area (NJTurnpike to 295 to 76 over the Walt Wittman to South Street is basically what Google says)? I could get there on my own, but if there's any inside tips to know - esp about parking - I'd appreciate it.

I would trust Jeff Hopkins on the driving tips. He knows his stuff around here.

I often park on the street somewhere north of Franklin Field for weekend lacrosse games (pay attention to signs). There's also a small surface pay parking lot near Franklin Field that's sometimes open for sports events that can be accessed from 33rd St. (one way north) on the right in between Walnut and Chestnut. It's often a Cornell tailgaiting area, but I can't guarantee it will be open tomorrow. I know some people use the Palestra parking lot, which can be accessed from 33rd St. on the right on the north side of Franklin.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login