Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Cornell Wrestling article in Philly Inquirer

Posted by nshapiro 
Cornell Wrestling article in Philly Inquirer
Posted by: nshapiro (192.148.195.---)
Date: February 16, 2011 09:21AM

[www.philly.com]

Great article on Cornell Wrestling and Coach Koll. It talks about how he uses the state schools to get less academic candidates, which I bet will offend some. It also talks about how he thought Cornell would be a steppingstone to bigger and better, but he now has a much longer view. As someone who lived 3 years in his hometown of State College PA, I know how similar that is to Ithaca, and I am not surprised that he would feel comfortable and be ready to settle down forever at Cornell.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2011 09:22AM by nshapiro.

Re: Cornell Wrestling article in Philly Inquirer
Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: February 16, 2011 12:08PM

I also like that Coach Koll posted a comment to clarify some discrepancies in the article.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 16, 2011 03:55PM

And because this is eLF, someone has to point out that they called Mack Lewnes "Mark Lewnes." So I'll be that guy.

Posted by: ebilmes (204.76.0.---)
Date: February 17, 2011 11:13AM

Aside from its academic reputation, Cornell has another advantage. While most Ivy League schools are private institutions, three of its colleges - Agriculture and Life Science, Human Ecology, and Industrial and Labor Relations - are affiliated with the State University of New York system and, as such, have slightly easier admission requirements.

"Robbie Koll is a great motivator," said Drexel coach Jack Childs. "He's done a tremendous job there and built a great program. But people don't realize that the kids who get into the agricultural program don't need 1,300 on their boards. We were recruiting one boy and he had about 950 on his boards. He said he was going to Cornell. I told him he wouldn't get in there but he called back and said, 'Coach, I got accepted. I'm going to Cornell.'"

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 17, 2011 11:56AM

ebilmes

Aside from its academic reputation, Cornell has another advantage. While most Ivy League schools are private institutions, three of its colleges - Agriculture and Life Science, Human Ecology, and Industrial and Labor Relations - are affiliated with the State University of New York system and, as such, have slightly easier admission requirements.

"Robbie Koll is a great motivator," said Drexel coach Jack Childs. "He's done a tremendous job there and built a great program. But people don't realize that the kids who get into the agricultural program don't need 1,300 on their boards. We were recruiting one boy and he had about 950 on his boards. He said he was going to Cornell. I told him he wouldn't get in there but he called back and said, 'Coach, I got accepted. I'm going to Cornell.'"
Koll has responded by saying he has no idea whom Childs could be talking about.

Posted by: Chris '03 (38.104.240.---)
Date: February 17, 2011 12:02PM

Al DeFlorio
ebilmes

Koll has responded by saying he has no idea whom Childs could be talking about.

One of these guys?

Posted by: dag14 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 17, 2011 12:23PM

I can't name names or provide specific GPA information because of privacy issues but I teach and advise at least 4 Varsity wrestlers -- more than one of whom are nationally ranked -- whose grade point averages in a very difficult major exceed 3.5. Two are in the 3.8+ range. And those are the guys whose academic records I can access. I have had several other wrestlers in my classes who have earned A range grades [median grade is not an A or even an A-...]. But I guess we have to continue to live with the stereotype that the only reason Cornell is good in sports is because the Ag School lets in dumb jocks.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 17, 2011 12:29PM

dag14
I can't name names or provide specific GPA information because of privacy issues but I teach and advise at least 4 Varsity wrestlers -- more than one of whom are nationally ranked -- whose grade point averages in a very difficult major exceed 3.5. Two are in the 3.8+ range. And those are the guys whose academic records I can access. I have had several other wrestlers in my classes who have earned A range grades [median grade is not an A or even an A-...]. But I guess we have to continue to live with the stereotype that the only reason Cornell is good in sports is because the Ag School lets in dumb jocks.
Thanks for posting this. One of the reasons the Ag school is popular with athletes at Cornell is because it has a highly-ranked undergraduate business school, unlike most Ivy League schools (Penn being, of course, a notable exception with the Wharton School).

Posted by: Swampy (131.128.163.---)
Date: February 17, 2011 04:08PM

ebilmes

I don't even get the logic here. First of all, they're "statutory" schools (i.e., required by state statute) and run under contract with the state. They are not part of the SUNY system as far as I know. Second, admission requirements at state universities can be quite stringent. Both Berkeley and Michigan are state schools. Third, even if these colleges were part of SUNY, does SUNY really require its member schools to lower admission standards? If, for example, Stony Brook had 20 students applying for every seat, would SUNY require lower standards? With all due respect to the SUNY schools, even if Cornell's colleges were part of SUNY, they probably would have more academically top applicants than say Albany, Binghamton, Buffalo, and Stony Brook, as well as the non-graduate state universities like Cortland. In this it would be similar to the UC system, where 10 campuses compete for the top 12.5% of high-school grads, and to get into the more popular campuses, like Berkeley or UCLA, one typically must be in the top 2-3%, and otherwise go to less popular campuses like Riverside or Irvine. Finally, the last time I looked, Architecture had the lowest mean SAT's of any college, but one must know how to draw and design to get in. A&S and Engineering had averages above 1400, but the other schools were maybe, at most, 100 to 200 below that. This still puts the average student in, say Hum. Ec. or ILR, at or above the level of most "public ivies" like North Carolina, and certainly above Penn State and the like.

Hard to imagine someone with 950 would be able to do a varsity sport and graduate, although I suppose an ingenious coach could string together a bunch of gut courses. Kids with 950 have trouble graduating bottom-half state universities, unless they mature remarkably in college. No matter what your major at Cornell, you're still likely to have to take your Gen. Ed. classes with Merit Scholars and read at least 2-3 times what's required at schools where 950 boards are the norm.

Posted by: CAS (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 17, 2011 04:41PM

Usual nonsense spread by those envious of our success. Median SAT's for Cornell's enrolled class of 2014 was 1410, with Arts and Engineering above the median. The SAT's for the contract colleges were modestly lower than the overall median [1350ish]. Ag & Life Sciences admitted only 22% of applicants last year and is highly competitive. The business program [Dyson] was ranked top-5 in Business Week and top-10 US News.

Date: February 17, 2011 05:11PM

Any chance the 950 was on the old SAT scoring basis? 950 x 2400/1600 = 1425

Or does it not scale linearly?

Posted by: phillysportsfan (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: February 17, 2011 05:37PM

Jeff Hopkins '82

I think those numbers CAS quoted are on the old scale math and reading 1600, ignoring the writing part

Posted by: CAS (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 17, 2011 06:25PM

Yes, the numbers above, which are taken from the Cornell website, do not include the writing scores [i.e. 1410/1600].

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 18, 2011 08:05AM

Jeff Hopkins '82

That's not how to compare the scores, Jeff. There are now 3 sections scored from 200-800; the math and verbal (now called "critical reading";) sections that we remember plus a writing section.

But when people talk SATs they still only talk about the old 1600-scale math and verbal sections.

Date: February 18, 2011 12:20PM

ugarte
Jeff Hopkins '82

That's not how to compare the scores, Jeff. There are now 3 sections scored from 200-800; the math and verbal (now called "critical reading";) sections that we remember plus a writing section.

But when people talk SATs they still only talk about the old 1600-scale math and verbal sections.

I suspected it didn't work like that. That would be too easy. wank

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login