Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

2008 lacrosse season

Posted by Al DeFlorio 
2008 lacrosse season
Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 10, 2008 12:08PM

Inside Lacrosse's preview of the 2008 Cornell team is here: [www.insidelacrosse.com]

Videos include snippets from last fall's scrimmages and Seibald's stick-check leading to the winning goal against Albany. Pretty good stuff.

Don't forget next week's scrimmage against Hopkins at Schoellkopf next Saturday at 1pm. Anyone see or read anything about yesterday's scrimmage at Loyola?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2008 12:09PM by Al DeFlorio.

Re: 2008 lacrosse season
Posted by: RichH (76.28.11.---)
Date: February 10, 2008 02:03PM

Great preview in the sense that it really got that part of my brain activated, and now I'm all fired up for that season as well.

My heart did skip a beat when I saw the caption that calls Max Seibald a Senior. Checked the CU roster to be sure...he's a Junior, folks. And the fact that Seibald, Glynn, and Romero are all returning just gives me a very warm feeling. And I like what Max said about Kyle Doctor. The "Scouting Report" section is also a great read.

I think the healing is complete from last May for me. I anxiously await Hillel's usual preview. This may have made my decision to take the boat ride to Long Island in 2 weeks.

Date: February 10, 2008 04:06PM

RichH
This may have made my decision to take the boat ride to Long Island in 2 weeks.
That'll be a tough opener. Not only is Navy usually very competitive, but they'll have had two games under their belt--a 10-2 win over a [weak] VMI team yesterday followed by Ohio State next Saturday.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 10, 2008 04:40PM

I talked with Hillel Hoffman Saturday and he mentioned the scrimmage briefly, but he was tied up in setting up the Cornell Club of Philadelphia 100th annviversary party. We spent more time talking about how impressive is Phil's new mayor, Michael Nutter, a Penn guy with 3 Cornellians on staff, who spoke at the CC Philadelphia event. The city has come a long way from Frank Rizzo.

Hillel, we need your insights.

Date: February 10, 2008 05:28PM

billhoward
We spent more time talking about how impressive is Phil's new mayor, Michael Nutter, a Penn guy with 3 Cornellians on staff, who spoke at the CC Philadelphia event. The city has come a long way from Frank Rizzo.
And the guy who had the police drop a bomb on a house somewhere in the city.doh Nutter won 86% of the vote to become mayor.

Date: February 11, 2008 07:39AM

More from Inside Lacrosse:

[www.insidelacrosse.com]

[insidelacrosse.com]

[www.insidelacrosse.com]

[www.insidelacrosse.com]

Note that the preseason scrimmage schedule listed here ( [insidelacrosse.com] ) has Cornell scrimmaging at Hopkins next Saturday, whereas the cornellbigred.com schedule shows the game being at Schoellkopf.

Posted by: Luke 05 (---.tx.res.rr.com)
Date: February 11, 2008 06:58PM

Anybody know any of the details about the game in Dallas? Some places say SMU(t) while others have Highland Park HS.

Posted by: MOBalum (---.gti.net)
Date: February 12, 2008 04:15PM

Are those scrimmages or actual games? I ask because baseball games are not allowed to start yet - seems like weather rules should be applied to all outdoor spring sports, no?

Date: February 12, 2008 05:43PM

I think they've clearly been called "scrimmages" in every posting. Scrimmages are sometimes played in "game" format and sometimes not. I suspect the one with Hopkins will look in most ways like a "game," but it will not count in the season's record.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: February 12, 2008 05:46PM

Presumably the coaches will play the scrimmage differently than they would a game that counts (more playing time to underclassmen or marginal guys, for instance) even if they don't do something goofy like alternating man up opportunities.

For a few years the Ivies played scrimmages in hockey. Wonder why that ended.

Posted by: MOBalum (---.mad.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 13, 2008 07:16PM

Thanks very much.

New STX contract
Date: February 14, 2008 11:09AM

I hope this doesn't mean goofy-looking uniforms: [www.insidelacrosse.com]

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: February 14, 2008 11:49AM

KeithK

For a few years the Ivies played scrimmages in hockey. Wonder why that ended.

I think the New England schools still do.

Re: New STX contract
Date: February 14, 2008 01:25PM

I'm still not a fan of the black shadow around the white uniform lettering. How the jerseys look is probably more important to the players and the undergraduate fans. Don't see how STX could mess that up.

Date: February 14, 2008 05:26PM

billhoward
I'm still not a fan of the black shadow around the white uniform lettering. How the jerseys look is probably more important to the players and the undergraduate fans. Don't see how STX could mess that up.
Wouldn't be hard, Bill. Weird fonts. Slanted numbers a la many Hockey East unis. Even the Celtics have screwed their unis up.

I still don't see why we can't wear red and white, without black or navy trim. Hockey does it. What's the problem?

Strongly agree...
Posted by: TimV (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 15, 2008 11:09AM

Nice, clean, classic look. I'd go back in a minute if it was up to me.

I dislike the silver or gray trim the most.

Posted by: ajec1 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: February 15, 2008 11:30AM

I could be wrong, but I believe that this contract will supply all equipment outside of unis... Check out the Inside Lacrosse homepage, Hopkins (which the story says is also supplied by STX) has the big 'ol Swoosh prominently featured

Cornell-Harvard lax site changed?
Date: February 16, 2008 10:39PM

I just pulled this from a CN8 press release posted on Inside Lacrosse giving CN8's 2008 lacrosse telecasts:

4/5 12 p.m. Cornell @ Harvard (at Gillette Stadium)

Cornell's web site says the same. Could be a test case prepping for the NCAAs at Gillette on Memorial Day weekend? At one time it was said this would be a delayed telecast but perhaps it's now not? Strangely, the Harvard web site has the game being played at 5pm at Harvard Stadium.screwy

Re: Strongly agree...
Date: February 16, 2008 10:47PM

Older alumni (once you're 42 you're in the older half of college alumni) may like the old way but maybe it looks cooler to students and non-graying alums. Plus I think the uniforms look a lot different from 3 feet away. Maybe black shadowing the letters looks more aggressive. Remember the stat that teams wearing red win 53% (not 50.3%?) of games played. Maybe black shadow adds another point to the total?

Date: February 16, 2008 11:06PM

billhoward
Maybe black shadow adds another point to the total?
Only if worn around the eyes.

A posting on laxpower says Cornell led Hopkins by 8-1 at the half and 11-4 after three in today's scrimmage. Syracuse transfer Myers supposedly in goal the entire game. Hopkins ran off a bunch of scores when Tambroni put in the subs in the fourth period--much like the 1977 championship game, for those other old farts who remember.

Re: Cornell-Harvard lax site changed?
Posted by: BillCharlton (---.dsl.tpkaks.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 16, 2008 11:16PM

Predicted attendance if the game is played at Gillette stadium:

500 Big Red fans
36 sucks fans (mostly players' friends and family)
68,220 sucks fans disguised as empty seats

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 16, 2008 11:51PM

Al DeFlorio
A posting on laxpower says Cornell led Hopkins by 8-1 at the half and 11-4 after three in today's scrimmage. Syracuse transfer Myers supposedly in goal the entire game. Hopkins ran off a bunch of scores when Tambroni put in the subs in the fourth period--much like the 1977 championship game, for those other old farts who remember.

Granted it was a scrimmage, but it's still incredible. And I'm glad you stuck in the "other" before "old farts".:-}

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 17, 2008 01:24AM

Might be a good low-cost opportunity to cross Gillette Stadium off my list.

Would anyone here be offended if I wore a NY Giants jersey to a Cornell lacrosse game? :-D

Posted by: Killer (---.c3-0.nat-ubr5.sbo-nat.ma.cable.rcn.com)
Date: February 17, 2008 12:22PM

BillCharlton
Predicted attendance if the game is played at Gillette stadium:

500 Big Red fans
36 sucks fans (mostly players' friends and family)
68,220 sucks fans disguised as empty seats

Glad I read this post. Now I understand that there were at least 1,000 Sucks fans dressed as empty seats at Bright last night. How silly of me.

Post-Standard piece on CNY lax teams
Date: February 18, 2008 09:16AM

Dave Rahme wrote a preview piece on central New York lacrosse teams recently. Many comments by Tambroni, including acknowledgment of Ned's role in building the program to national prominence along with Richie's:

[www.syracuse.com]

Latest Baltimore Sun poll
Date: February 19, 2008 11:00AM

This week's Baltimore Sun poll has Cornell fourth. Amazing what a scrimmage in sub-freezing weather can do.

[www.baltimoresun.com]

Video of lax game with Navy
Date: February 20, 2008 12:20PM

Just noticed this in the preview article on CornellBigRed:

Live Video: www.SportsNetAmerica.com (available approximately one hour post game)

Anyone have any insights into this?

Re: Video of lax game with Navy
Posted by: RichH (216.195.201.---)
Date: February 20, 2008 02:06PM

Al DeFlorio

Live Video: www.SportsNetAmerica.com (available approximately one hour post game)

Well, first of all, someone needs to be reminded of the definition of "live."

But hm...that site seems to be a sports-only version of YouTube where users can upload their own videos. I did a search for "Cornell" and watched a very shaky video of the final 2 minutes of the lax semifinal shot by some kids from the upper deck. (Luckily, the last play you can see clearly is Clayton's tying goal.)

Anyway, that same search for Cornell turns up the entire Cornell-Notre Dame game from last season that was played on Long Island...contained in 5 videos, each about 20 minutes in length. It's broadcast quality with commentators, so I assume that's what will happen with this game.

Date: February 20, 2008 03:17PM

RichH
Al DeFlorio

But hm...that site seems to be a sports-only version of YouTube where users can upload their own videos. I did a search for "Cornell" and watched a very shaky video of the final 2 minutes of the lax semifinal shot by some kids from the upper deck. (Luckily, the last play you can see clearly is Clayton's tying goal.)

Anyway, that same search for Cornell turns up the entire Cornell-Notre Dame game from last season that was played on Long Island...contained in 5 videos, each about 20 minutes in length. It's broadcast quality with commentators, so I assume that's what will happen with this game.
Picky, picky, picky.;-)

Thanks for the research to find last year's LI game. One hour post-game beats waiting until the 27th or 28th for the MASN cast.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: February 20, 2008 10:26PM

RichH
Al DeFlorio

I'm always taken aback when when someone peddles a "live recording" of a musical performance. In that context, it usually means in front of a live audience rather than in a studio. Here I suspect we will get commentary recorded as the game is played, rather than added later in the studio.

Quint Kessenich's "Top 20" as of Tuesday
Date: February 20, 2008 10:48PM

Rather remarkable ranking of Cornell given not a game's been played:

[insidelacrosse.com]

Re: Quint Kessenich's "Top 20" as of Tuesday
Posted by: redhair34 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: February 21, 2008 06:35PM

Al DeFlorio
Rather remarkable ranking of Cornell given not a game's been played:

[insidelacrosse.com]

I think I read Kessinich say, in some of Inside Lacrosse's pre-season coverage, something along the lines of "Cornell is primed for a fall this year." But, one SCRIMMAGE against his alma mater and he's changing his tune (not that I don't hope he's right)? I've always found him to be a pretty intelligent and insightful guy, but I think his Hopkins-centric attitude too often clouds his judgment and commentary.

Max Seibald highlighted on "Inside Lacrosse" ESPN Preview
Posted by: djk26 (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 21, 2008 09:08PM

Both Coach Tambroni and Max Seibald got some screen time in the "Inside Lacrosse" preview, aired on ESPN2 today. Max was ranked number four of four Tewaarton candidates featured. Princeton's coach was shown marveling at his abilities. The commentators also had positive comments for the team as a whole (ranked 6th in the poll they showed, Princeton was 5th).

The show will be reaired on ESPNU several times in the coming weeks:

Max Seibald to be Featured on ESPN2 College Lacrosse Preview on Thursday

Didn't see this posted anywhere else on ELynah, and it's always fun to see Cornell uniforms on TV (even if it's footage from last season.)

Re: Quint Kessenich's "Top 20" as of Tuesday
Date: February 21, 2008 11:09PM

redhair34
I think I read Kessinich say, in some of Inside Lacrosse's pre-season coverage, something along the lines of "Cornell is primed for a fall this year." But, one SCRIMMAGE against his alma mater and he's changing his tune (not that I don't hope he's right)? I've always found him to be a pretty intelligent and insightful guy, but I think his Hopkins-centric attitude too often clouds his judgment and commentary.
Agree with both parts of your last sentence.

Interesting that the scrimmage against JHU moved Cornell up from "primed for a fall" all the way to #3 in the country, but did not move them above the team they "beat" (for whatever that's really worth) in the scrimmage that apparently had so much influence on his opinion.;-)

I, for one, would be happy just to squeak by a supposedly-rebuilding Navy team on Saturday. Tough opener for a team that's been allowed to practice for only three weeks and is facing a well-coached team with two games already under their belts.

Re: Max Seibald highlighted on "Inside Lacrosse" ESPN Preview
Date: February 21, 2008 11:33PM

djk26
Both Coach Tambroni and Max Seibald got some screen time in the "Inside Lacrosse" preview, aired on ESPN2 today. Max was ranked number four of four Tewaarton candidates featured. Princeton's coach was shown marveling at his abilities. The commentators also had positive comments for the team as a whole (ranked 6th in the poll they showed, Princeton was 5th).

[snip]

Didn't see this posted anywhere else on ELynah, and it's always fun to see Cornell uniforms on TV (even if it's footage from last season.)
Didn't take a lot of thought or creativity on the part of Inside Lacrosse to name the four returning Tewaaraton finalists as the top four players of 2008. I'm a little miffed they ranked Max #4. I'd take him in a heartbeat over Rubeor of Virginia.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login