Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Bad News for Basketball

Posted by CornellFan 
Bad News for Basketball
Posted by: CornellFan (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 19, 2008 11:10AM

Guys... Collin Robinson has taken a leave of absence from the team. No further details available, except he will not play against Columbia in Ithaca.

[cornellbasketball.blogspot.com]

Collin Robinson Quits
Date: January 19, 2008 02:47PM

Shocking news.

Re: Bad News for Basketball
Posted by: ithacat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 19, 2008 05:10PM

CornellFan
Guys... Collin Robinson has taken a leave of absence from the team. No further details available, except he will not play against Columbia in Ithaca.

According to the IJ, he's done. That's a blow to the Red's chance for an Ivy title.

[www.theithacajournal.com]

Date: January 19, 2008 05:11PM

But they pulled out the win over Columbia today.

Posted by: BillCharlton (---.dsl.tpkaks.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 20, 2008 12:32AM

I just checked the Cornell athletics Web site. Collin Robinson's name is already gone from the roster. There was no mention of his departure in the game summary. I suppose we will learn more in the coming days.

The team will miss Robinson's production. He was third on the team in minutes and scoring and second in assists. In tonight's game, Wittman, Dale, Gore, and Reeves played more minutes to pick up the slack. The team appears to have solid depth. Considering how well the team is capable of shooting and Foote's positive impact in recent games, they should remain competitive.

Date: January 20, 2008 09:50AM

Some students are reporting on my Blog that Collin was homesick and had a dislike of Ithaca.

I am scratching my head about this one because Robinson has been in Ithaca now for 1.5 years. Not to many people get homesick that far into their stay in Ithaca. Usually happens in the first year.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 20, 2008 11:22AM

Most people don't have just enough eligibility left to make an immediate transfer worthwhile. This hurts.

Good luck Collin. Hope you land on your feet in warmer climes.

Date: January 20, 2008 03:49PM

Ugarte,

What do you mean? I am not sure I follow.

Whether Robinson comes back to Cornell or goes elsewhere in D-I, he will make an impact on any team.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 21, 2008 12:22AM

CornellFan
Ugarte,

What do you mean? I am not sure I follow.

Whether Robinson comes back to Cornell or goes elsewhere in D-I, he will make an impact on any team.
I should have used the quote function. I was responding to your thought that people usually get homesick/sick of Ithaca immediately, not after a year and a half. I only meant that after a year and a half at Cornell - and one prior year-killing transfer - the fact that he still has over two years of eligibility remaining means that he can, as you said, go someplace else, sit out the required year, and still have an impact - so he could afford to get "homesick" after that much time.

I bear him no ill will (see: all of my prior comments about players that have left Cornell early) and hope that he finds a place that makes him happy.

Date: January 21, 2008 06:12PM

Oh, very true. Quite odd for someone to get homesick after 1.5 years in Ithaca. But... inside sources...(emphasis on plural sources, and they are VERY reliable) suggest that we might be dealing with a bit of an NBA-type scenario here. There is a bit more to the story, but lets call it a clash of philosophies between those involved. It appears that it was not by accident that he voluntarily left on the eve of the start of Ivy play.

Anyhow--- I hope he doesn't burn any bridges on his departure and possibly reconsiders. He could possibly change his mind next year and return (up to him and the coach).

As for transferring... very unlikely scenario.

He only has two remaining years left and he already sat out 1 year after transferring from USC. So... I think if he transfers within D-I again... he has to sit out another year and may even lose a year of eligibility. The NCAA rarely allows 6th year players.

As for impact, yes, he'd be an impact player ANYWHERE in D-I. Yes, he is good enough to play a reserve role in the ACC or Big East. But if he wants to be a superstar in an Allen Iverson like role (give me the ball and get out of my way), perhaps he should go to a losing program like NJIT.

Posted by: nr53 (---.cisco.com)
Date: January 22, 2008 12:25AM

In an amusing show of sibling rivalry, my sister (a gtown undergrad) sent me this: [sports.espn.go.com]

which on 1/21/08 had Cornell as a number 15 seed playing the hoyas in the first round. To be honest, I almost died laughing at how enthusiastic she sounded about it. :-p

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login