Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Best Case Scenario for Hoops Heading Into Ivy

Posted by CornellFan 
Best Case Scenario for Hoops Heading Into Ivy
Posted by: CornellFan (---.nyc.megapath.net)
Date: December 06, 2007 06:30PM

Red hoops are 4-2 right now with seven non-conference games left before Ivy opener against Columbia in January.

The realistic goal is to go 5-2 over the next seven (losing to Syracuse and Duke). Winning five of the next seven games is definitely a plausible scenario with Stony Brook, Quinnipiac, Alvernia (D-III) and NJIT still on tap. The tough game will be winning at Bucknell in two weeks, but definitely not impossible.

If the Red can get it done (winning 5 of 7), we head into Ivy play 9-4. Thats a pretty good record with only one troubling loss (Colgate) and a pair of decent wins over Siena and Bucknell. I can deal with the losses to Ohio, Duke and Syracuse.

I can even deal with the loss to Colgate (they are currently 6-3 and we lost without Jason Hartford).

We learn a lot about this team this month. They play four games between December 19 and New Year's Eve.

[cornellbasketball.blogspot.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2007 06:31PM by CornellFan.

Re: Best Case Scenario for Hoops Heading Into Ivy
Posted by: Chris '03 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: December 06, 2007 08:52PM

They play 9 of the next 11, including Y, on the road?! That's some rough scheduling... help

Date: December 07, 2007 07:56AM

It is.... but to be fair... we only played one game on the road in the first six.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: December 07, 2007 08:36AM

CornellFan
It is.... but to be fair... we only played one game on the road in the first six.

You have to imagine it was possible to swap NJIT and Bingo or something to balance things out a touch. It's an awfully rough travel schedule heading into the games that matter. I fear the team will start 2-2 Ivy and be forced to win 10 straight for a chance at the crown.

Date: December 07, 2007 08:45AM

Here were my thoughts on the Ivy schedule back in early November:

I agree, the early going is rough--- but it gets easier as the move through the Ivy games.

Posted by: ugarte (38.136.14.---)
Date: December 07, 2007 11:17AM

The record so far is nice, and it will be good to see continued winning. Aside from the record, I'd like it if the team played 48 40 minute games.

Edit: So embarrassed. Of course it is 40 in college. And yet, as I was writing, in my head I was reducing the length to 48 minutes from the 60 that they play in my fake-NBA.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2007 11:57AM by ugarte.

Date: December 07, 2007 11:24AM

Ugh--- I don't know what it is with these kids, but they NEVER play the full 40 minutes (in college hoops it is two 20 min halves, not 48 min).

Cornell is becoming famous among Ivy fans for building leads and then losing them in the 2nd half.

Take a look at what happened last year.

This year, we've done a good job of escaping with Ws, but our double figure late leads were reduced to narrow escapes in three of our wins.

Against Colgate we led by 8 in the second half and lost. Same as against Ohio.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2007 11:25AM by CornellFan.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: December 18, 2007 07:52AM

CornellFan
Ugh--- I don't know what it is with these kids, but they NEVER play the full 40 minutes (in college hoops it is two 20 min halves, not 48 min).

Cornell is becoming famous among Ivy fans for building leads and then losing them in the 2nd half.

This year, we've done a good job of escaping with Ws, but our double figure late leads were reduced to narrow escapes in three of our wins.

From today's Ithaca Journal, Donahue apparently has a revelation that this is a problem:

In the wake of Cornell's Dec. 1 loss to Colgate, in which the Raiders effectively slowed down the Big Red's transition game, Donahue has put his team through two weeks-plus worth of practices focusing on half-court situations.

“We just put a ton of time into half-court offense and defense, sets on the offensive end, guarding different things on defensive end, and really we hadn't spent a lot of time on that
[never woulda guessedblush], because the team was focusing on dictating an up-tempo pace,” Donahue said. “I want to push the basketball, make good decisions, but the last 5 minutes of the game, the situation changes because if it's close, you have to execute.

“You can't rely on taking a quick shot and hope it goes. You've got to take a little extra time, you've got to guard a little better, and I think that's what this last couple weeks have done.”

We'll see if anything really comes of this.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hortonpv.ul.warwick.net)
Date: December 18, 2007 12:20PM

Al DeFlorio
CornellFan

From today's Ithaca Journal, Donahue apparently has a revelation that this is a problem:

In the wake of Cornell's Dec. 1 loss to Colgate, in which the Raiders effectively slowed down the Big Red's transition game, Donahue has put his team through two weeks-plus worth of practices focusing on half-court situations.

“We just put a ton of time into half-court offense and defense, sets on the offensive end, guarding different things on defensive end, and really we hadn't spent a lot of time on that
[never woulda guessedblush], because the team was focusing on dictating an up-tempo pace,” Donahue said. “I want to push the basketball, make good decisions, but the last 5 minutes of the game, the situation changes because if it's close, you have to execute.

“You can't rely on taking a quick shot and hope it goes. You've got to take a little extra time, you've got to guard a little better, and I think that's what this last couple weeks have done.”

We'll see if anything really comes of this.

So that explains the dysfunction ... they hadn't been practicing the half court sets whistle

Date: December 18, 2007 04:47PM

This Cornell team has a chance to get much better in the next month with quality competition (Bucknell, Syracuse, Duke) and lots of road games (six).

I think we will know who we are on Feb 1.

Re: Best Case Scenario for Hoops (Ground Hog Day truism)
Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: December 22, 2007 08:33PM

CornellFan
This Cornell team has a chance to get much better in the next month with quality competition (Bucknell, Syracuse, Duke) and lots of road games (six).

I think we will know who we are on Feb 1.

You must mean Feb. 2 -- Jeff Foote sees his shadow, it means six more weeks of basketball.

(Just so Ugarte doesn't ding me: Yes, I repurposed an old Michael Jordan joke.)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login