Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Fifth down Game

Posted by Jim Hyla 
Fifth down Game
Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 24, 2007 12:45PM

Found these in a Nov8th Sun. Nice to reread about it and to think about football games as just being for fun, especially at this time of year.
From the Part I Article
I think the majority of people in my generation did that, Conti said. [Football] was a fun thing that you did with a bunch of people that you enjoyed being with.
Part I: Return to Glory Under Snavely
Part II: The Fifth Down Game
Part III: The Nation Reacts in the Wake of Concession

Re: Fifth down Game
Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: November 24, 2007 12:50PM

Sun
If only they could act like Cornell had in conceding a win to Dartmouth after videotape showed that the Red had won on an illegal fifth down.

"Videotape"? In 1940? *sigh*

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 24, 2007 02:47PM

Beeeej
Sun
If only they could act like Cornell had in conceding a win to Dartmouth after videotape showed that the Red had won on an illegal fifth down.

Didn't you know that videotape was invented with only 2:21 remaining in riding time?screwy

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: November 24, 2007 02:52PM

Al DeFlorio
Beeeej
Sun

Didn't you know that videotape was invented with only 2:21 remaining in riding time?screwy

...with Ken Dryden backstopping it.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 25, 2007 05:40PM

Beeeej
Al DeFlorio
Beeeej
Sun

...with Ken Dryden backstopping it.
Then Dryden conclusively was the goalie of the 29-0-0 team.

[Postscript to MSG Night: A handful of players from 1967 and 1970 were there and introduced including goaltender [pause] Bob Rule.]

Date: November 25, 2007 05:55PM

billhoward
[Postscript to MSG Night: A handful of players from 1967 and 1970 were there and introduced including goaltender [pause] Bob Rule.]

I don't know what you mean by the pause. He was a goalie for the 70 team.

Date: November 25, 2007 06:15PM

Jim Hyla
billhoward

Bob Rule was a goalie for the hockey team. Brian Cropper was The Goalie for the team and god help us if Cropper went down. Rule's brilliance was tending nets for Canada's other national sport and that he did wonderfully until he went down late in the 1971 championship season but fortunately the lacrosse backup, Bob Buhmann, was essentially as good, and so Cornell rolled past Maryland 12-6 for the title.

No offense intended to Bob Rule, but if fans wanted to applaud one goalie from the 1960s it would have been Dryden, and if you applauded one goalie from the 1969-70 hockey title team, it would have been Brian Cropper. There were only a half dozen members from each of the 1967 and 1970 teams at MSG, as opposed to the entire teams. Not that the night wasn't awesome with just a half dozen, and not that having the entire teams would have reduced the sting of BU's victory.

Date: November 25, 2007 09:13PM

billhoward
Jim Hyla
billhoward

Bob Rule was a goalie for the hockey team. Brian Cropper was The Goalie for the team and god help us if Cropper went down. Rule's brilliance was tending nets for Canada's other national sport and that he did wonderfully until he went down late in the 1971 championship season but fortunately the lacrosse backup, Bob Buhmann, was essentially as good, and so Cornell rolled past Maryland 12-6 for the title.

No offense intended to Bob Rule, but if fans wanted to applaud one goalie from the 1960s it would have been Dryden, and if you applauded one goalie from the 1969-70 hockey title team, it would have been Brian Cropper. There were only a half dozen members from each of the 1967 and 1970 teams at MSG, as opposed to the entire teams. Not that the night wasn't awesome with just a half dozen, and not that having the entire teams would have reduced the sting of BU's victory.

All that you've said I know; it's just that with your [pause] you seemed to imply that he was either not a hockey goalie or didn't deserve introduction. He provided a valuable service when Coach Harkness was in need. I just didn't want him slighted.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: November 26, 2007 03:49AM

There seemed to be a shortage of alumni goalies Saturday night, with no Brian Cropper, no Ken Dryden, and no Jim Craig.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: November 26, 2007 07:50PM

jtwcornell91
There seemed to be a shortage of alumni goalies Saturday night, with no Brian Cropper, no Ken Dryden, and no Jim Craig.

There was a shortage of players, period. But then, it wasn't supposed to be about the famous alumni players coming back.

I bet here's what happened:

MSG told Cornell and BU each could have a syrupy Jumbotron (not so jumbo in their case) and on-ice salute to themselves, Cornell after the first, BU after the second. So Cornell and BU rush off to their photo archives looking for cute coeds and buff men, no exposed tattoos please, strolling across the quadrangle the one day it's not raining and there's nothing dug up. Plus the Asian guy in the wheelchair and make sure there's a lot of African American and Hispanic faces to show diversity. Plus some photos of professors who won the Nobel or have been on Letterman. Which they make into a slideshow (or BU's case, a video with garbled words). Then somebody says, "Hey, let's invite the alumni of our most famous teams, 1967 and 1970, to come back and be saluted on the ice." "We got any money for this?" "We've got enough to fly Ned up from Florida, but that's it, and let's see if the other alums want to come on their own." So they people we got were New Yorkers or Ithacans for the most part.

No big deal. Everybody was pretty happy. How happy?

IIRC, Andy Noel was introduced and nobody booed, that's how mellow the crowd was. Ticket line hassles and surly ushers under his command were forgotten for the evening. Plus he got us that nice wrestling building.

Posted by: RichH (76.28.11.---)
Date: November 26, 2007 08:00PM

billhoward
IIRC, Andy Noel was introduced and nobody booed

Wanna bet?

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: November 26, 2007 08:01PM

billhoward
IIRC, Andy Noel was introduced and nobody booed, that's how mellow the crowd was. Ticket line hassles and surly ushers under his command were forgotten for the evening. Plus he got us that nice wrestling building.
Seriously? Damn. Just think how great an "Andy must go!" chant would sound coming from 12,000 voices!

I kid, I Kid...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login