Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

DukeBasketballReport.com

Posted by CornellFan 
DukeBasketballReport.com
Posted by: CornellFan (---.nyc.megapath.net)
Date: July 20, 2007 08:24AM

Now they know we are coming....

[www.dukebasketballreport.com]

[cornellbasketball.blogspot.com]

Re: DukeBasketballReport.com
Posted by: scoop85 (---.hortonpv.ul.warwick.net)
Date: July 20, 2007 10:36AM

CornellFan
Now they know we are coming....

[www.dukebasketballreport.com]

And I'm sure they are deathly afraid ... :-D

Date: July 20, 2007 10:52AM

They are afraid...

that we will hurt their RPI/SOS.

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.dhcp.psdn.ca.charter.com)
Date: July 20, 2007 11:02AM

Do we really need 3+ threads about this?

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: July 20, 2007 11:09AM

Jacob '06
Don't be silly, ever basketball-related thought CornellFan has needs its own new thread.

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: July 20, 2007 11:31AM

I love the fact that the headline is "Big Red Coming to Town!" As if anyone at Duke is excited enough to warrant an exclamation point.

(Excessive use of exclamation points is just a pet peeve of mine. So naturally I felt I needed to share that with all of you.)

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: July 20, 2007 04:56PM

Maybe we could have just one off-season basketball thread...until the team does something of real interest.

Posted by: Ben Rocky '04 (---.student.umd.edu)
Date: July 20, 2007 06:41PM

Josh '99
Jacob '06
Don't be silly, ever basketball-related thought CornellFan has needs its own new thread.

It must be so hard on your eyes to come over to the Other Sports section of ELF and read the Cornell basketball news you clearly find annoying yet are cruelly forced to read. Tragic. *tear*

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: July 20, 2007 07:10PM

More threads equals more mouse clicks to view equals more carpal tunnel syndrome. I blame CornellFan! :-P

Posted by: mttgrmm (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: July 23, 2007 02:26AM

Oh my god, the negativity has reached an unbearable point... can you hardcore hockey enthusiasts not appreciate the feelings CornellFan has for the CU Basketball team??

We all (myself included) just made our way through a hockey season which was fairly disappointing. We finished in the middle of the pack of the ECAC, and I think most CU fans hope and wish for better. After a season like we just had, I think we all need some positivity, harping on the highlights of an otherwise bleak season... so why not basketball?

Seriously, there have been enough negative posts about CornellFan's postings. If you absolutely dread reading about the highlights of Cornell Basketball's offseason and approaching season, then don't click on the "1 New" link! Reading the post and saying, "Oh, whatever, I don't really care," is a lot different than taking the time to post the equivalent of "go away CornellFan, nobody likes you!!!"

Let the man post, for the love of Christ. Is it really that much of an infringement on your daily life that you can't let another Cornell athletics enthusiast try to spread the word about his favorite team? Just think, if there was a dominant basketball thread and you posted the occasional thread like, "Hey, CU Hockey just picked up Riley Nash," would you hope for this kind of response?

Give him and CU BBall a chance.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2007 03:24PM by mttgrmm.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: July 23, 2007 07:29AM

Do we really need three different threads about the Cornell-Duke basketball game? We're in "Joe Thornton traded" territory here.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Ben Rocky '04 (---.111.251.50.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: July 23, 2007 12:05PM

mttgrmm
Oh my god, the negativity has reached an unbearable point... can you hardcore hockey enthusiasts not appreciate the feelings CornellFan has for the CU Basketball team??

We all (myself included) just made our way through a hockey season which was fairly disappointing. We finished in the middle of the pack of the ECAC, and I think most CU fans hope and wish for better. After a season like we just had, I think we all need some positivity, harping on the highlights of an otherwise bleak season... so why not basketball?

Seriously, there have been enough negative posts about CornellFan's postilly dread reading about the highlights of Cornell Basketball's offseason and approaching season, then don't click on the "1 New" link! Reading the post and saying, "Oh, whatever, I don't really care," is a lot different than taking the time to post the equivalent of "go away CornellFan, nobody likes you!!!"

Let the man post, for the love of Christ. Is it really that much of an infringement on your daily life that you can't let another Cornell athletics enthusiast try to spread the word about his favorite team? Just think, if there was a dominant basketball thread and you posted the occasional thread like, "Hey, CU Hockey just picked up Riley Nash," would you hope for this kind of response?

Give him and CU BBall a chance.

Well said.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: July 23, 2007 12:42PM

He could easily eliminate some of the criticism by creating fewer threads (e.g. only one thread for everything about the Duke game or everything about next season's schedule, etc.) It's not like a new thread really gives more "publicity". Multiple threads on the same topic just clutter the front page and spread out discussion.

Date: July 23, 2007 03:16PM

People aren't objecting to CU basketball or CornellFan's enthusiasm for it, people are objecting to all the redundant threads.

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: July 23, 2007 04:35PM

Is it October yet?

Posted by: Ben Rocky '04 (---.111.251.50.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: July 23, 2007 06:25PM

Josh '99
People aren't objecting to CU basketball or CornellFan's enthusiasm for it, people are objecting to all the redundant threads.

I'm objecting to you.

Posted by: 2 (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: July 23, 2007 10:04PM

Give CornellFan a break. If the team lives up to its potential and many of the predictions, there will be several threads about it come late February/March and you all will have to deal with it during the stretch run of hockey season--imagine that.

Besides, I kind of like the multiple threads. Easier to follow the specific conversation, and less navigation through months-old postings. Some of the threads on here are just too long and too old for new postings.

And, for more fodder, I think we do have a shot at duke. Additionally, as one with more than a little personal experience with Duke as a school, their student body and alumni will probably be interested in this matchup because it is so rare for them to play ivy league and education-first institutions. Some of them have a bit of a complex about those issues because they can be seen as a sports & wealth school.

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.dhcp.psdn.ca.charter.com)
Date: July 23, 2007 10:34PM

And, for more fodder, I think we do have a shot at duke. Additionally, as one with more than a little personal experience with Duke as a school, their student body and alumni will probably be interested in this matchup because it is so rare for them to play ivy league and education-first institutions.

They have played an ivy league school in men's basketball each of the previous 3 seasons. Cornell's game this year will be the fourth season in a row.

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: July 23, 2007 11:14PM

GBesides, I kind of like the multiple threads. Easier to follow the specific conversation, and less navigation through months-old postings. Some of the threads on here are just too long and too old for new postings.
Whaddya mean? The newest posts are always right on the bottom, in order of posting :-) :-P

Duke Rarely Plays the Ivy League
Date: July 24, 2007 08:39AM

Jacob--

With all due respect, Duke played Columbia last year, but it WAS NOT by Duke's choice. They were grouped together in a Gazelle Group 16 team tournament. Other than Penn and Princeton-- Duke has not voluntarily played any Ivy team other than Penn or Princeton since 2000. I have it on good authority that this game is recognition by Duke's coaches that Cornell is the Ivy preseason favorite. Coach K intentionally schedules 3-5 low-mid major teams like Davidson, Bucknell, Albany etc to help prepare his team for the type of scrappy opponent they might face in the first round of the NCAAs.

Duke has not played Brown since 1994.
Duke has not played Cornell since 1988.
Duke has never played Dartmouth.
Duke has not played Yale since 1973
Duke has not played Harvard since 1991.

In other words... Duke generally does not voluntarily schedule non-Penn/Princeton Ivy teams. But even the "Ps" rarely get Duke on the schedule.

After 1981--Duke only played Princeton in 2000, 2003 and 2005-- and one of those games was involuntary-- as per a bracket in the Preseason NIT.

After 1980-- Duke only played Penn in 2005.

So-- this is agreat opportunity for us. Moreover, our kids can shoot from the perimeter. Wittman, Gore, Dale, Robinson, Reeves and Hartford all shoot better than 40% beyond the arc. If we can knock down some threes, this could be an entertaining game.

If the shots don't fall-- this could be really, really ugly.

Posted by: 2 (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: July 24, 2007 10:22AM

KeithK
Whaddya mean? The newest posts are always right on the bottom, in order of posting :-) :-P

Yeah, except for the quote just above yours (and dozens others like it).

Date: July 24, 2007 10:40AM

Ben Rocky '04
Josh '99

I'm objecting to you.
I'm out of order? You're out of order! This whole courtroom is out of order!

Posted by: RichH (216.195.201.---)
Date: July 24, 2007 11:16AM

mttgrmm

First, I don't think anyone is saying "boo, Basketball! shut up about basketball!" I think the grumblings are more about that there were 3 threads started about the exact same game by the same person. If we were in November (can we be?? Please??) and someone (*cough billhoward cough*) took it upon themselves to start multiple "Mercyhurst [pregame]!!" threads over on the hockey forum, I would bet that the amount of bitching and complaining via the ever popular snide-remarking method would dwarf this.

That said, I don't really like the sport of basketball, but I definitely support all Cornell student-athletes, so I have some interest. Is it wrong for me to be more excited about the rumored basketball games vs. Minnesota and Syracuse than the game in Durham? I'm a strong advocate of not drinking the ESPN kool-aid which makes one think that one school pr conference is more important than others because of a cash-injected, name-brand, hype machine. Unfortunately, this is happening in hockey thanks to WCHA snobbery and lax because of the self-perpetuating playoff shenanigans of the ACC (as well as some retarded tournament selection criteria).

To me, Duke is the poster child of the "we're holier than thou...because Dick Vitale says so. Kiss the ring." attitude present in collegiate basketball. Screw 'em. Duke could drop to have the worst record in the land and kids at East Statetuckabrasksota U. would still storm the court because they beat DUKE and it wuz on the Tee-Vee!

Am I wrong in assuming that since we have no chance at a (NCAA) tournament bid without winning the Ivies, these non-conference games are pointless other than for exposure and honing our team's level of play for the Ivy stretch drive?

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: July 24, 2007 11:30AM

Josh '99
Ben Rocky '04
Josh '99

I'm objecting to you.
I'm out of order? You're out of order! This whole courtroom is out of order!

Attica! Attica!

Wait...different movie popcorn

Date: July 24, 2007 11:39AM

I'd say the on-conference games do the following:

(1) help prepare the team for the Ivy League "14 game conference tournament"
(2) help build the RPI for a possible NCAA seeding
(3) help build the resume for a potential NIT bid
(4) help gain exposure for the program in recruiting and building for the future. High school recruiting prospects appreciate games like Duke and Syrcause on the schedule.

Date: July 24, 2007 01:59PM

CornellFan
(2) help build the RPI for a possible NCAA seeding
This is a legitimate point. Since 1979, Ivy schools have won 7 NCAA games. It's not a lot, granted, but it shows that a first-round upset win is conceivable. Playing a first-round game against a 3 or a 4 rather than a 1 or a 2 would certainly boost the chances of that upset.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login