Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Game On!

Posted by CornellFan 
Game On!
Posted by: CornellFan (---.nyc.megapath.net)
Date: June 11, 2007 09:52AM

DUKE.

[cornellbasketball.blogspot.com]

Re: Game On!
Posted by: Chris '03 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: June 11, 2007 09:57AM

Is there any source beyond your own blog?

Date: June 11, 2007 10:05AM

There is a reliable source. If you want to wait to reserve your airline tickets until after Cornell's official announcement (probably later this summer), I understand.

No confirm yet on Syracuse or Minnesota.

Date: June 11, 2007 10:28AM

CornellFan
There is a reliable source. If you want to wait to reserve your airline tickets until after Cornell's official announcement (probably later this summer), I understand.

I think I'll keep my original plans of watching the BCS Title Game that night for now. (I don't think predicted the Cornell hoops media blitz will be in effect that night...)

If your information is accurate, at least tickets will be easier to come by for those who are able to make it, with the students all home for break.

I really don't very much care who Cornell plays out of conference. There are only 14 games that matter. Once they've won a few Ivy titles, I'll start thinking/caring about non-conference games and NCAA seeding. Until then, if they ever get it done I'll be firmly in the just happy to be there (and watch CU get pasted) camp. For now, the only thing good scheduling gets me is a chance to see the team (lose) on tv occasionally.

Date: June 11, 2007 10:55AM

Right-- the 14 Ivy games matter most. BUT... here is what Duke does for us....

(1) Prepares Cornell for Ivy play by facing a more athletic team-- good prep for Penn.
(2) Attracts recruits to Cornell because we are willing to play anyone, anywhere
(3) Gives the program more exposure
(4) Improves RPI/SOS for a tournament IF we win the Ivy

Finally, Cornell is in this game to win it. Not just to visit Durham. Why not us?

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.nh.comcast.net)
Date: June 11, 2007 03:24PM

CornellFan
Finally, Cornell is in this game to win it. Not just to visit Durham. Why not us?
Because we don't have the structured, disciplined half-court offense that allowed a Princeton to pull off its upsets and near-upsets against more athletic and talented teams.

Posted by: ugarte (38.136.14.---)
Date: June 11, 2007 03:51PM

Al DeFlorio
CornellFan
Because we don't have the structured, disciplined half-court offense that allowed a Princeton to pull off its upsets and near-upsets against more athletic and talented teams.
And I don't see the evidence that we have the talent that Princeton had when they were the would-be giant killers. We certainly don't have two NBA players (Jerome Allen and Matt Maloney) like Penn did at their peak.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: June 12, 2007 03:02PM

Al DeFlorio
CornellFan
Because we don't have the structured, disciplined half-court offense that allowed a Princeton to pull off its upsets and near-upsets against more athletic and talented teams aren't very good.

FYP

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: June 16, 2007 10:03AM

>>> Finally, Cornell is in this game to win it. Not just to visit Durham. Why not us?

You have Duke friends who want to wager on the game and offer 10 points, you're going to ask for an even bet? There is probably an ACC crossword puzzle where 7-Down is a four letter phrase meaning "insufferable."

Playing Duke is good for Cornell basketball. It will add a high quality loss to our strength of schedule. Coach K will offer a couple congratulatory quotes and mentione that when Cornell was up 4-2 it was a sign not to take Cornell for granted, which led to the 21-3 Duke run. I'm thinking this is not going to be Miracle on Hardwood.

But, yeah, we can dream.

Posted by: CornellFan (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: June 16, 2007 04:25PM

Look, anything can happen. And the fact is, we actually match up pretty well with Duke. They don't have an established inside game either at center or power forward. They are not that big and really not the most athletic team out there. They should have some crafty players like Kyle Singler, Nolan Smith, Jon Scheyer and Greg Paulus-- but lets face it, Duke was not a great scoring or shooting team last year and they lost their top defensive player in McRoberts.

Maybe Duke losing to Old Dominion last year was a surprise to you, but I had the upset in my brackets, just for the same reasons why I think we can play with these guys.

I really think Cornell is going to sneak up on a lot people this year-- again if we stay healthy. We are going to nead a healthy Adam Gore and Jason Hartford for any chance of making a bit of Ivy history.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/16/2007 04:26PM by CornellFan.

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: June 16, 2007 10:11PM

It's not like you're arguing that we should beat Duke next year. You just think the odds are much better than 1 in 10,000.

Posted by: CornellFan (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: June 17, 2007 09:47AM

No, I am not predicting a Cornell win. But I would not be surprised if it was a "respectable defeat."

Posted by: BCrespi (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 17, 2007 08:37PM

CornellFan
Maybe Duke losing to Old Dominion last year was a surprise to you, but I had the upset in my brackets, just for the same reasons why I think we can play with these guys.

Not that it changes your point, but they lost to Virgina Commonwealth, and lots of people, and many experts had that picked. Duke is clearly a flawed team, for a national powerhouse, and I'm very excited for the game, but not all that optimistic regarding the outcome.

Date: June 18, 2007 07:56AM

It was a typo and thanks for the correction on the proper CAA team.

Point is, VA Commonwealth was able to knock off Duke because of terrific guard play.

Well, Cornell may not knock off Duke in Cameron, but what we will have quick and talented guard play.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: June 18, 2007 03:49PM

CornellFan
Point is, VA Commonwealth was able to knock off Duke because of terrific guard play.
VCU was able to knock off Duke because DUKE WASN'T THAT GOOD LAST YEAR. Whether that'll continue to be the case I don't know, but I thought I'd point it out.

Posted by: ugarte (38.136.14.---)
Date: June 18, 2007 04:47PM

Josh '99
CornellFan
VCU was able to knock off Duke because DUKE WASN'T THAT GOOD LAST YEAR. Whether that'll continue to be the case I don't know, but I thought I'd point it out.
VCU didn't only beat Duke because Duke wasn't very good. VCU also beat Duke because VCU was one of the elite teams in the country last year, despite an inexplicable 11 seed. Very few people would have been surprised if VCU had beaten Pitt in the second round. 2007 VCU was better than all but a few Ivy teams in the last 15 years.

I appreciate your enthusiasm CF but you are being silly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2007 04:47PM by ugarte.

Date: July 19, 2007 10:28AM

[www.theithacajournal.com]

Now you have the public source.

Date: January 07, 2008 04:35PM

Chris, did you bother to watch? Just curious.

; )

Date: January 07, 2008 10:25PM

[elf.elynah.com]

It's on my tivo waiting for me though.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login