Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

NCAA lax backets - easier path to title game

Posted by billhoward 
NCAA lax backets - easier path to title game
Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: May 20, 2007 02:44PM

There was some discussion about how, except for maybe possibly Albany and of course Duke, Cornell has a relatively straight shot into the title game. Who still feels we have the easier bracket? Right now Hopkins fans, drooling at the prospect of playing an unranked Delaware team Saturday, are staking out barbecue spots in the parking lot for Monday's game.

Re: NCAA lax backets - easier path to title game
Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: May 20, 2007 04:22PM

billhoward
There was some discussion about how, except for maybe possibly Albany and of course Duke, Cornell has a relatively straight shot into the title game.

That's "except for" two of the three games we have to play on the way. How is that an easy path?

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: mnagowski (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: May 20, 2007 04:45PM

Going by the RPI:

#1 Cornell has had to play a #14 and a #4 team.

#2 Duke has had to play a #44 and a #7 team.

#3 JHU has had to play a #11 and a #6 team.

and #12 Delaware has had to beat a #5 and a #13.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: May 20, 2007 04:49PM

metaezra
Going by the RPI:

#1 Cornell has had to play a #14 and a #4 team.

#2 Duke has had to play a #44 and a #7 team.

#3 JHU has had to play a #11 and a #6 team.

and #12 Delaware has had to beat a #5 and a #13.
Do you mean KRACH?

Posted by: mnagowski (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: May 20, 2007 05:07PM

No. RPI.

[www.laxpower.com]

Posted by: ben03 (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: May 20, 2007 05:27PM

well i think the FF is something for the NC$$ seeding committee to be proud of ... the #1 seeded and #2 ranked Duke team is playing the #4 seed and #1 ranked Cornell in the top half of the bracket and the other half has #3 seed and #5 ranked JHU playing unseeded and #15 ranked Delaware. I have to say I love the balance i think this should be the new model moving forward. the only fitting finish at this point would be Cornell playing Delaware in the championship.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2007 05:50PM by ben03.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.nh.comcast.net)
Date: May 20, 2007 06:09PM

metaezra
No. RPI.

[www.laxpower.com]
Not sure I'd pay any attention to laxpower's RPI calculations. The NCAA's RPI rankings--the only ones that count, I regret to say--are here, as of the end of the regular season: [web1.ncaa.org]

Posted by: RichH (76.28.11.---)
Date: May 20, 2007 06:35PM

billhoward
There was some discussion about how, except for maybe possibly Albany and of course Duke, Cornell has a relatively straight shot into the title game. Who still feels we have the easier bracket? Right now Hopkins fans, drooling at the prospect of playing an unranked Delaware team Saturday, are staking out barbecue spots in the parking lot for Monday's game.

No. The discussion was about the "path to Baltimore," meaning the Final Four for the top-seeded teams. Nobody ever mentioned a waltz to the final game, because had the top 4 seeds held, they're all difficult.

#2 didn't even make it to the QF; I'd say that's strong enough evidence that UVa had a difficult path to Baltimore. #3 Hopkins won in OT in Round 1 before having a surprisingly easy time with a strong Georgetown team, but remember that the possibility existed of them playing Princeton at Princeton. Similarly, #1 Duke had the potential of facing Navy at Navy. Neither happened, but they did have to play a team that saw them twice this season already.

You have to look at the regional brackets as a whole. The most difficult matchup on Cornell's side of the bracket came to fruition, and that was facing two teams that lost 3 of 5 and 2 of 3 to end the season respectively. Albany proved that they were as awesome as advertised. But they did have to prove it.

Also, remember that this is the freaking NCAA tournament. 15 of the 16 teams were at the very least really good lax teams. Nobody said this is easy. After failing in the QF round what...3 times in recent years, it shouldn't be a secret that making it to the Final Four is a big mental obstacle we just got over.

Yeah, Hopkins has what is considered the least-feared member of the Final Four (I really wouldn't count out the Hens after UMass's march to the 2006 Final), but that was UVa's spot, and neither they nor MD got the job done. Yes, it sucks that we get Duke lined up in the semis, but the poor seeding criteria and lack of re-seeding has been discussed at length and will continue to be discussed after the tournament is over. Worry about fixing things on May 29.

In summary: Stop whining and quit playing your usual "if only this...if only that" games, Bill. Let's Go Red and let's kick some Blue Devil ass.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.mtholyoke.edu)
Date: May 20, 2007 07:42PM

Al DeFlorio
metaezra
No. RPI.

[www.laxpower.com]
Not sure I'd pay any attention to laxpower's RPI calculations. The NCAA's RPI rankings--the only ones that count, I regret to say--are here, as of the end of the regular season: [web1.ncaa.org]

Laxpower vastly improved their RPI calculations once the NCAA started releasing theirs. It may not be exactly right, but it should now be close.

Posted by: Hillel Hoffmann (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: May 20, 2007 09:53PM

[First things first: A thousand blessings upon Bill for saving my sorry ass by lending me 20 bucks so I could get into Saturday's game. Don't ask.]

I don't recall anyone saying Cornell had an easy path to the championship.

I still maintain that Cornell's path to the final four offered a more favorable menu of likely match-ups for Cornell than the paths offered to the top three seeds.

Date: May 21, 2007 08:05AM

I had no choice because a) Hillel really needed to get in to see the game and b) I always wanted to be in the Guinness Book: First recroded instance, journalist buys ticket for PR guy.

... and was Hillel ever right about what an amazing middle Jordan Levine was.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.nh.comcast.net)
Date: May 21, 2007 09:39AM

billhoward
Interesting that, in the OT, Belisle was marking Levine--not Resetarits.

Date: May 21, 2007 11:28AM

Al DeFlorio
billhoward
Interesting that, in the OT, Belisle was marking Levine--not Resetarits.
... dangerous for fans to play coach but one guess is: If Levine got free to pass off to Restarits camped on the goalie circle, or get off a pretty fair shot, it's game-over. We wuz lucky. But then after losing a pair of one-goal games we could have won (or lost) the previous two years, the gods of statistics were with Cornell.

So now we're thinking, can the Cornell defense do to the Duke attackmen what it did to the Albany attackmen? At the end of the Duke-North Carolina blowout, the TV guys said, "Right now, Duke looks unbeatable." At that point in time, it was hard to disagree. I don't think McMonagle will put in an own-goal, though.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hortonpv.ul.warwick.net)
Date: May 21, 2007 01:44PM

billhoward
At the end of the Duke-North Carolina blowout, the TV guys said, "Right now, Duke looks unbeatable." At that point in time, it was hard to disagree. I don't think McMonagle will put in an own-goal, though.

I'm glad to have the public perception that Duke is unbeatable. Maybe we can loosen up a tad (I think we were pretty darn tight to open the game against Albany). Getting over the quarterfinals hump was huge, so I'm hoping we're a bit more relaxed on Saturday (although playing before a full [or almost full] NFL stadium might be a bit unnerving).

Posted by: ugarte (38.136.14.---)
Date: May 21, 2007 01:53PM

I think the switch was because Albany had adjusted to playing through Levine instead of Resetarits and Cornell adjusted back. After being marked by Belisle all day, Resetarits was probably a little more ragged anyway.

It seemed like every adjustment Tambroni made over the course of the game worked (except the stall...). Any adjustment he wants to make is fine with me.

Posted by: RichH (216.195.201.---)
Date: May 21, 2007 01:56PM

scoop85
I'm glad to have the public perception that Duke is unbeatable. Maybe we can loosen up a tad (I think we were pretty darn tight to open the game against Albany). Getting over the quarterfinals hump was huge, so I'm hoping we're a bit more relaxed on Saturday (although playing before a full [or almost full] NFL stadium might be a bit unnerving).

And if anything, the spotlight isn't going to be on us. It's not often your tournament opponent gets a writeup like this in the New York Times:

[www.nytimes.com]

No matter what, the story will be about what Duke does. It's interesting to think about the difference in press credential requests depending on which team will be playing on Monday.

Posted by: ninian '72 (---.ed.gov)
Date: May 22, 2007 10:22AM

Cornell was also under the radar in Washington Post coverage. You'll have to click through to the second page to learn that there actually was a second game played at Princeton, regardless of the article title:

[www.washingtonpost.com]

Posted by: ben03 (71.5.44.---)
Date: May 22, 2007 11:16AM

didn't you hear the news ... the sport of lacrosse (aka bagataway) was invented, perfected and only played in maryland. oh and if you're not from the old line state you're just pretending ... and if you dare beat a team hailing from south of the mason-dixon it was a total fluke and they’d always win the next one.

the southern lax BS is on par with the western hockey non-sense, it might just possibly be worse. drunk

Posted by: Robb (12.46.32.---)
Date: May 22, 2007 01:32PM

ben03
didn't you hear the news ... the sport of lacrosse (aka bagataway) was invented, perfected and only played in maryland. oh and if you're not from the old line state you're just pretending ... and if you dare beat a team hailing from south of the mason-dixon it was a total fluke and they’d always win the next one.

the southern lax BS is on par with the western hockey non-sense, it might just possibly be worse. drunk

You left out the part that, while a northern win is a total fluke, a single win by any southern team is an obvious proof of their complete domination of the sport... twak

Posted by: mnagowski (---.federalreserve.org)
Date: May 22, 2007 01:46PM

Check out Duke's roster... there are a LOT of Upstate New York kids on the list.

Posted by: Robb (12.46.32.---)
Date: May 22, 2007 02:57PM

metaezra
Check out Duke's roster... there are a LOT of Upstate New York kids on the list.
So why'd they choose Duke? Is it their better weather? Cuter co-eds? Hotter strippers? :-O

(Hey - if you can't trash talk 4 days before one of the most highly anticipated games out of the entire season, then trash talking would just have no place in our society, and then where would we be?)

Date: May 22, 2007 04:41PM

scoop85
billhoward
At the end of the Duke-North Carolina blowout, the TV guys said, "Right now, Duke looks unbeatable." At that point in time, it was hard to disagree. I don't think McMonagle will put in an own-goal, though.

... whereas Duke has experience playing to a full courthouse.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: May 22, 2007 05:28PM

billhoward
scoop85
billhoward

... whereas Duke has experience playing to a full courthouse.
AHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAH!

Wait.... no.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login