Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

NCAA Quarterfinals: Cornell v. Albany (pre-game)

Posted by redhair34 
NCAA Quarterfinals: Cornell v. Albany (pre-game)
Posted by: redhair34 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: May 14, 2007 07:59PM

I’ve only seen Albany play against SU. But, based on what I saw and what I’ve heard about Albany, I think we match up well against them. Other than attack, I think we have the edge pretty much everywhere else on the field.

Why I feel good:
- I think we can neutralize or at least limit their biggest strength—transition offense. We take care of the ball in the offensive half of the field (few turnovers for them to capitalize on) and we ride better than anyone. I can’t imagine Queener (do-it-all goalie) will have a lot of success out of the cage trying to transition against us.

- Our D is much better than theirs.

- McMonagle

- No FOGO to fear.

Why I am worried:
- They can shoot the lights out and score in bunches.

- Jordan Levine doesn’t get a lot of press, but I thought he was fantastic against SU. He’s small, but VERY fast. Their offense seemed to run through him. He’s their Seibald—doesn’t get all of the points but his presence changes the game; he needs to be accounted for at all times. I fear he may be able to exploit our ssmd if a pole doesn’t cover him.

- Although we beat Towson pretty handily, by no means did we play our best game--Glynn had an off day, too many penalties, awful man-down and too many turnovers in the middle half of the field. We probably need to play better to beat Albany at their best.

What does everyone else think?

EDIT: It looks like the game will be televised live on SNY and TWS26 in Ithaca.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2007 08:10PM by redhair34.

Re: NCAA Quarterfinals: Cornell v. Albany (pre-game)
Posted by: ninian '72 (---.washdc.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: May 14, 2007 09:04PM

MASN (Baltimore/DC area) will also be carrying all quarterfinal games. Cornell-Albany starts at noon Saturday.

viewing event info moved to different thread
Posted by: howiem98 (---.skbr.com)
Date: May 14, 2007 09:36PM

sorry but I wasn't able to delete the post completely
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2007 04:29PM by howiem98.

"Superstar Mending: Cornell's Max Seibald hurts foot"
Date: May 15, 2007 09:46AM

Cornell University star midfielder Max Seibald, recently named one of five finalists for the Tewaaraton Trophy - college lacrosse's version of the Heisman - missed Monday's practice with a foot injury and is listed as day-to-day. The undefeated Big Red will face Albany at noon Saturday in the NCAA Division I quarterfinals.

"I'm hopeful," Cornell coach Jeff Tambroni said Monday afternoon. "There is no guarantee he'll be back, but I'm hopeful."

Seibald, the only sophomore among the five finalists for the Tewaaraton, was injured in the third quarter of the Big Red's 14-6 opening-round victory Saturday over Towson. Tambroni said Seibald, normally a midfielder, was playing attack on Cornell's man-down unit, a position that prevents him from crossing midfield. The ball went into Cornell's offensive end, but Towson regained control and took it the other way. Seibald raced back on defense, realized at the last instant that he was approaching midfield and skidded to a sudden stop, injuring his foot.

"It was self-inflicted," Tambroni said of the injury. "He started putting on the brakes, and something happened." Tambroni, who was in Albany on Sunday to watch the Great Danes defeat Loyola to earn a date opposite Cornell in the quarterfinals at Princeton, said he had spoken only briefly with the Big Red trainer and knew only that Seibald was not going to practice Monday.
"It's a day-to-day thing, I would imagine," he said.

Ironically, Tambroni credits an injury suffered by his budding superstar in the offseason with helping produce Cornell's 14-0 record. With Seibald missing fall ball and all of the team's preseason scrimmages, other players were forced to step up in his absence.

"It gave other guys the opportunity to handle the ball and produce," Tambroni said. "Don't get me wrong: That was fine then, but obviously we need Max now. Either way, the guys are getting prepared for the task."

[www.syracuse.com]

Re: "Superstar Mending: Cornell's Max Seibald hurts foot"
Posted by: JasonN95 (---.nyc.deshaw.com)
Date: May 15, 2007 10:50AM

redhair34

"I'm hopeful," Cornell coach Jeff Tambroni said Monday afternoon. "There is no guarantee he'll be back, but I'm hopeful."

Ok, I'm just going to tell myself that Coach T is setting a trap for Albany and Max will come running out on the field for the game doing cartwheels. Otherwise, I may be sick.

Re: "Superstar Mending: Cornell's Max Seibald hurts foot"
Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: May 15, 2007 01:28PM

redhair34

Tambroni said Seibald, normally a midfielder, was playing attack on Cornell's man-down unit, a position that prevents him from crossing midfield. The ball went into Cornell's offensive end, but Towson regained control and took it the other way. Seibald raced back on defense, realized at the last instant that he was approaching midfield and skidded to a sudden stop, injuring his foot.

[www.syracuse.com]
Just watched the third period on tape. This happened just after Vedder ran the length of the field to take a close-in shot with Cornell a man-down, hit a pipe, and the rebound went straight out to a Towson guy who headed in the other direction. The camera did not show Seibald rolling his ankle just behind the sprinting Towson player.

Shows how much impact an inch one way or the other can mean. If that shot either goes in or misses the pipe and goes out of bounds, the injury doesn't happen.

Posted by: Steve Rockey (---.empsl.cornell.edu)
Date: May 15, 2007 04:55PM

When I took a look at it I saw we have more overlap than I realized.

I know this does not mean a whole lot but....

Opponents
CU Score
Albany Score

Binghamton
19-4
8-9 "Loss"

Colgate
16-6
13-10

Yale
19-8
12-10

Syracuse
16-15
13-17 "Loss"

Dartmouth
17-3
15-14
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2007 04:56PM by Steve Rockey.

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.caltech.edu)
Date: May 15, 2007 05:47PM

Steve Rockey

Opponents
CU Score
Albany Score

Binghamton
19-4
8-9 "Loss"

Colgate
16-6
13-10

Yale
19-8
12-10

Syracuse
16-15
13-17 "Loss"

Dartmouth
17-3
15-14

I think the general trend is that our defense is better than theirs, which is a good sign.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: May 15, 2007 06:33PM

Cross-posted from laxpower:

UA has played 9 games vs. t-20 offenses and held them below average 7 times (by an average of 2.13). Cornell has played 7 games against top offenses and held them under their average 6 times (by an average of 4.6 goals).

Cornell vs. Opponents by GPG Rank (through 5/13, common opponents in bold)
Rank Team GPG (GA) Difference
3. Duke 12.41 (6) -6.41
5. ND 11.67 (8) -3.67
8 Syracuse 11.54 (15) +3.46
13 Colgate 10.69 (6) -4.69

14 Hobart 10.64 (4) -6.64
17 Yale 10.38 (8) -2.38
20 Princeton 9.86 (6) -3.86

UAlbany

4 Delaware 12.12 (7) -5.12
7 UMBC 11.56 (9, 14) -2.56, +2.44
8 Syracuse 11.54 (17) +5.46
13 Colgate 10.69 (10) -0.69

15 Loyola (Md.) 10.46 (10) -0.44
16 Siena 10.44 (8) -2.44
17 Yale 10.38 (10) -0.38
18 Johns Hopkins 10.29 (7) -3.29

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: May 15, 2007 08:16PM

Jacob '06
Steve Rockey

Opponents
CU Score
Albany Score

Binghamton
19-4
8-9 "Loss"

Colgate
16-6
13-10

Yale
19-8
12-10

Syracuse
16-15
13-17 "Loss"

Dartmouth
17-3
15-14

I think the general trend is that our defense is better than theirs, which is a good sign.
For that matter, our offense too.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: May 16, 2007 03:26PM

Albany:
13.9 goals per game
40.6 shots per game
.343 goals/shot

9.29 opp goals per game
34.1 opp shots per game
.272 opp goals/shot

Cornell:
14.4 goals per game
43.3 shots per game
.332 goals/shot

6.32 opp goals per game
33.1 opp shots per game
.192 opp goals/shot

Don't think anyone will argue against Cornell's defense, but the offense is pretty close.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2007 03:27PM by CowbellGuy.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: May 16, 2007 03:34PM

CowbellGuy
Albany:
13.9 goals per game
40.6 shots per game
.343 goals/shot

9.29 opp goals per game
34.1 opp shots per game
.272 opp goals/shot

Cornell:
14.4 goals per game
43.3 shots per game
.332 goals/shot

6.32 opp goals per game
33.1 opp shots per game
.192 opp goals/shot

Don't think anyone will argue against Cornell's defense, but the offense is pretty close.
Is this expanded beyond the common opponents that Steve looked at? Against EVERY common opponent, Cornell scored more goals than Albany did AND allowed fewer.

(Edited to fix the typo in Age's original post.)
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2007 03:35PM by Josh '99.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: May 16, 2007 03:38PM

Yeah, that's for the whole season.

Scouting Albany
Posted by: Hillel Hoffmann (---.usb.temple.edu)
Date: May 16, 2007 05:53PM

The Cornell-Albany match-up is so freaking cool. Folks who haven't seen the Great Danes before are in for a treat. This could be the most entertaining Cornell lacrosse playoff game since the 1987 semifinal game against Syracuse at Rutgers. Let's hope it ends the same way. Even if Cornell loses, I'll be pulling for the Danes the rest of the way. I had a chance to cover Albany this year, and I admit I've fallen for 'em (gotta hate that ALLLLLLLL-buh-NEEEEEEEE chant though).

Albany and Cornell have a lot in common. Like Cornell, the Danes have a dangerous and adaptable offense run by players who are comfortable in both settled and unsettled situations. Albany's offense also produces bushels of goals by generating high-percentage shots (they're one of the few teams in Division I with a higher shooting percentage than Cornell). And like the Big Red, the Danes have experience everywhere on the field.

But that's where the similarities end.

On the other side of the midfield stripe, Albany has struggled at times. After getting off to a great start, holding their first four opponents to single digits, they've given up 14 or more goals in three of their last six games. Their defense hasn't established the man-to-man identity that Coach Scott Marr hoped to create this season, and their goalie is one of lax's great mysteries (more on that below).

And then there's that chemistry/personality thang. Albany is an explosive team loaded with singular talents. They're so volatile -- physically and emotionally -- you never know what you'll get. But that's part of the fun.

Keys to the game:

Going into the season, most lax fans had heard about Albany's two preseason All-America senior attackmen, Frank Resetarits (No. 5) and Merrick Thomson (9). They're sensational, especially Resetarits, who can do it all. What most folks didn't realize until 2007 is how much of Albany's killer offense comes from other sources. Given that shutting down Resetarits and Thomson may not be realistic, the key to controlling Albany will be neutralizing a handful of other critical offensive players, all of whom have received far less public attention than they deserve:

Jordan Levine (22) is one of the best midfielders I've seen in years. Everything redhair34 said above is true. He's a squat little beast, like John Glynn, but with even more speed. Dangerous shooting on the run from sweeps, a la Justin Redd.

Underrated Derek Dale (26) sets up behind the goal, controlling the pace of Albany's settled offense and distributing the ball.

Corey Small (43) is a substitute who comes in for EMO and instant offense. Unlike most Canadians, his specialty isn't catching and finishing in tight spaces -- it's unleashing left-handed blasts from distance.

Twin brothers Steve and Mike Ammann (20 and 33) are also super midfielders. Like Levine, they also play key roles as wingmen on faceoffs(collectively they may be the best short-stick wing group in the game).

The key to Albany's defense is their mercurial senior goalie, Brett Queener (32), former junior college player of the year at Herkimer (he's transferred twice since then). He's hyper, he's moody, he's badass, he's slightly crazy, and for better or worse, he's the most exciting player in lacrosse. If Saturday will be your first chance to see Queener play, I guarantee you've never seen anything like him before.

Most goalies are measured by how well they stop the ball. Period. On most days, Queener isn't a grade-A stopper. In fact, if Cornell creates decent shots -- particularly from 10-20 yards -- they will score plenty. Queener's better at stopping shots on the crease, going stick to stick. But making saves isn't the Q's secret power. The fun starts when he gets the ball in his crosse. As soon as Queener makes a save or picks up a ground ball, he sprints down the field in a straight line like a Jack Russell terrier. And he's not just looking to dump and retreat. Queener likes to attack the goal, and he has seven points to show for it. But forget the points -- when he takes off, clears happen. Sure, he might give up a goal every other game because he takes insane risks on occasion, but in an age when many clears are unsuccessful due to time violations rather than checks, he is an efficient, fast clearing machine -- and he might be the perfect antidote to Cornell's hard ride. It's maddening! Just watch: Even the gentlest Cornell fans will pop an artery or two screaming "KILL HIM! KILL HIM!" on Saturday.

With Queener, it's all about the mojo. If Cornell scores early and often, he will sag. But if he makes a few big saves in the first quarter, jumping up and down and shaking his fists, look out.

I can't wait.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2007 05:54PM by Hillel Hoffmann.

Date: May 16, 2007 06:04PM

CowbellGuy
Albany:
[stats]

I'm sure I could find you one or two headcases people on laxpower who will say that CU's defensive numbers are due to their piss poor SOS and that if they played the same schedule as UA, Cornell would have allowed twice as many goals.

Re: Scouting Albany
Date: May 16, 2007 07:18PM

I appreciate your great insight as always.

Hillel Hoffmann
Most goalies are measured by how well they stop the ball. Period. On most days, Queener isn't a grade-A stopper. In fact, if Cornell creates decent shots -- particularly from 10-20 yards -- they will score plenty. Queener's better at stopping shots on the crease, going stick to stick. But making saves isn't the Q's secret power. The fun starts when he gets the ball in his crosse. As soon as Queener makes a save or picks up a ground ball, he sprints down the field in a straight line like a Jack Russell terrier. And he's not just looking to dump and retreat. Queener likes to attack the goal, and he has seven points to show for it. But forget the points -- when he takes off, clears happen. Sure, he might give up a goal every other game because he takes insane risks on occasion, but in an age when many clears are unsuccessful due to time violations rather than checks, he is an efficient, fast clearing machine -- and he might be the perfect antidote to Cornell's hard ride. It's maddening! Just watch: Even the gentlest Cornell fans will pop an artery or two screaming "KILL HIM! KILL HIM!" on Saturday.

With Queener, it's all about the mojo. If Cornell scores early and often, he will sag. But if he makes a few big saves in the first quarter, jumping up and down and shaking his fists, look out.

You've hit the nail on the head with Queener. He's one of a kind. I also recall him participating as an attackman during their EMO. It will be interesting to see whether Queener foils Cornell's ride or Cornell's ride foils Queener. Regardless, the best way to neutralize him is to have him fishing the ball out of the cage.

Posted by: Robb (65.203.56.---)
Date: May 16, 2007 08:34PM

redhair34
It will be interesting to see whether Queener foils Cornell's ride or Cornell's ride foils Queener.

For us bandwagon lax fans, are you allowed to check the goalie when he's out of his crease?

Posted by: howiem98 (---.skbr.com)
Date: May 16, 2007 08:46PM

Any update on Max Seibald's injury? Did he practice? Anyone know?

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.dhcp.psdn.ca.charter.com)
Date: May 16, 2007 08:47PM

Robb
redhair34
It will be interesting to see whether Queener foils Cornell's ride or Cornell's ride foils Queener.

For us bandwagon lax fans, are you allowed to check the goalie when he's out of his crease?

Yes, same rules apply to the goalie as any other player outside of the crease.

Date: May 16, 2007 08:54PM

howiem98
Any update on Max Seibald's injury? Did he practice? Anyone know?

This article says his injury has kept him out of practice.
[ithacajournal.com]

I'll be shocked if he doesn't play.

Date: May 17, 2007 01:14AM

Jacob '06
Robb
redhair34

(Off topic)

Hockey should be the same way.

Date: May 17, 2007 07:57AM

Donna DiTota on Seibald in today's Post-Standard:

[blog.syracuse.com]

[Scroll down a bit.]

Date: May 17, 2007 09:10AM

Al DeFlorio

[blog.syracuse.com]

[Scroll down a bit.]

I don't like the sound of that at all. Makes me think that the goal of the smokescreening to date has been to create an artificial sense of optimism so Albany will be forced to prepare for Seibald (I had been assuming it was more likely to be the opposite).

Posted by: Dpperk29 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: May 17, 2007 09:20AM

Josh '99
Jacob '06
Robb
redhair34

(Off topic)

no it shouldn't. You would see alot more injuries to goalies. Goalie equipment is designed to protect the goalie and stop the puck, not protect him from a check. Take a goalie helmst for example. The standard design cannot take a rear impact very well. also, chest rpotectors have little to no padding in the back, another area that gets abused in a check.

Other than injury, I see part of the issue being goalies cannot manuever as sharply as players when they are in an upright skating position, making it much easier to be checked and harder to skate away.

checking goalies is just a bad idea in hockey.

Scouting reports: A look at this weekend's games
Date: May 17, 2007 09:35AM

The second-round of the NCAA tournament is this weekend, and Inside Lacrosse's scouting reports will help you understand what to look for. We talked to many DI coaches to get a feel for what to watch for. Here are their anonymous scouting reports on this weekend's games:

Cornell-Albany

Can Albany beat Cornell and Matt McMonagle?

Cornell should be able to defend Albany’s middies and not have to slide. They’re a little unique on defense because they don’t have to slide a bunch; a little like Princeton…That will be huge difference-maker in the game, the fact that they don’t have to leave the crease.

Albany will try to pump the ball inside, which is going to lead to some turnovers…Anybody who dodges Cornell’s longstick middie [Ethan] Vedder won’t be able to run by their longpoles…The one guy on Albany who might be able to find some success dodging is Corey Small, who has developed a nice spilt dodge to his opposite hand…Jordan Levine is also dangerous, and is very very fast. Cornell will need to lock him up on the wing, because at any time he’ll go to the rack, and if they allow him to dodge right-handed down the wing, he’ll shoot and score…

Cornell will probably dominate on face-offs; [Albany’s] Dan Barnes is intense and tough, but he’s not going to win a lot of face-offs, as you saw last week against [Loyola’s Dan] Kallaugher. [Cornell’s] Tommy Schmicker could have the same kind of success, especially if Schmicker’s move is working. Cornell’s wing play is also better than Albany’s off the face-offs; they have better longsticks coming off the wing…[Cornell’s Matt] McMonagle will be able to make big saves, and that will also be a huge difference-maker…[Albany’s Brett] Queener is very athletic, a very colorful player, he’s loud and excitable, and that excites his team. He runs between the lines and creates transition opportunities, so Cornell needs to take him out of the game; get a guy in his face, and don’t let him get involved in the clear. He takes chances and attackmen end up following him, and so that team winds up a man-down. The quieter he is the better. As far as shooting on him, he’s not an unbelievable stopper; He's probably a bit better outside of the cage than inside…

Cornell’s guys just shoot the lights out of the ball. Cornell’s perimeter shooters, unlike most teams that are successful from 10 yards and in, they can shoot from 14 or 15 yards and in. John Glynn doesn’t miss from 12 yards and in and John Espey is almost automatic…Cornell’s transition also has the potential to really hurt Albany; you can’t see them being able to stop Cornell’s transition game. Vedder and [Matt] Moyer are better than most offense middies; they feed Mitchell with 20-25 yard passes, they set cross-screens…

Defending against middie dodging and attack dodging could be a problem for Albany. They’re going to have to slide all the time and give up shots from 10 yards and in…Cornell has a ball-side op and a fade, and they like to explode a guy from X right into the crease; few teams do that….When you slide adjacent or form the crease, they’re going to hurt you…[Cornell’s Eric] Pittard is not lighting quick, but he’s a great dodger. He has a couple different types of dodges that he likes, and he’s great with both hands….Craig McDonald is the one guy that Albany has that is very athletic at D, but he may not be able to hang with Pittard…[Cornell’s Henry] Bartlett is going to be successful against a short stick, and he will have a big game if they put a short stick on him…

Clearing could be an area of concern for Albany because of the pressure Cornell gives you at the mid line, and at the defensive restraining line…Albany’s best players are up in the attack, but they’ve got to be able to get the ball up there…Besides Resetarits and Thomson, Small is a sniper up top, as you saw when he lit Loyola up last week.

[www.insidelacrosse.com]
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2007 09:38AM by redhair34.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.raytheon.com)
Date: May 17, 2007 10:40AM

Hillel Hoffmann
Al DeFlorio

[blog.syracuse.com]

[Scroll down a bit.]

I don't like the sound of that at all. Makes me think that the goal of the smokescreening to date has been to create an artificial sense of optimism so Albany will be forced to prepare for Seibald (I had been assuming it was more likely to be the opposite).

I'm still not sure which way its going, all I'm pretty sure about is Tambroni knows a lot more than he's letting on. And is doing it just to throw Albany. I wish he's whisper to us though ;)

Being off crutches and walking without a limp is a good thing. The fact that was on crutches to begin with is not. Neither is the fact he's walking gingerly. Written on Wednesday though, he still had ~72 hours from the time he spoke with him. We'll have to wait and see.

Date: May 17, 2007 10:50AM

Dpperk29
Josh '99
Jacob '06
Robb
redhair34

(Off topic)

no it shouldn't. You would see alot more injuries to goalies. Goalie equipment is designed to protect the goalie and stop the puck, not protect him from a check. Take a goalie helmst for example. The standard design cannot take a rear impact very well. also, chest rpotectors have little to no padding in the back, another area that gets abused in a check.

Other than injury, I see part of the issue being goalies cannot manuever as sharply as players when they are in an upright skating position, making it much easier to be checked and harder to skate away.

Then DON'T COME OUT OF THE CREASE IF YOU'RE GOING TO GET HIT.

Re: Scouting reports: A look at this weekend's games
Date: May 17, 2007 10:51AM

Is anyone else getting the impression that this Queener guy is the type we'd LOVE to heckle in a hockey game?

Date: May 17, 2007 11:07AM

Josh '99
Is anyone else getting the impression that this Queener guy is the type we'd LOVE to heckle in a hockey game?
Yup, but he is just the kind of guy who eats that up. It will have the opposite effect, I guarantee it. He's like Mike Mulligan's steam shovel: The more people who pay attention to him, the more pumped he gets.

Date: May 17, 2007 11:23AM

Hillel Hoffmann
Josh '99
Yup, but he is just the kind of guy who eats that up. It will have the opposite effect, I guarantee it. He's like Mike Mulligan's steam shovel: The more people who pay attention to him, the more pumped he gets.

Wow. A Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel reference. That's gotta be an eLynah first.

Posted by: saff678 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: May 17, 2007 11:40AM

Another update from the Ithaca Journal...

Notes: Seibald, who hurt his ankle in Saturday's win over Towson, said his injury has improved but he's not 100 percent. His status for Saturday's game is still uncertain. “It's doing alright,” he said. “I'm rehabbing it and taking it slow.” As to whether he thinks he'll be able to play on Saturday, he said: “I still don't know yet. We're taking it slow and not forcing it.”

[ithacajournal.com]

Posted by: ugarte (38.136.14.---)
Date: May 17, 2007 11:51AM

saff678

Notes: Seibald, who hurt his ankle in Saturday's win over Towson, said his injury has improved but he's not 100 percent. His status for Saturday's game is still uncertain. “It's doing alright,” he said. “I'm rehabbing it and taking it slow.” As to whether he thinks he'll be able to play on Saturday, he said: “I still don't know yet. We're taking it slow and not forcing it.”
Paging Willis Reed... Willis Reed to the courtesy phone.

Posted by: Robb (12.46.32.---)
Date: May 17, 2007 12:39PM

Dpperk29

That's begging the question. The REASON hockey goalie equipment is designed that way is because they're not allowed to be checked. If the rule changed, the equipment would change, and goalies wouldn't get injured. Not to mention the fact that they'd come out of the crease a lot less. It would certainly change the game, but I don't believe for a second that injuries would increase.

Posted by: heykb (131.249.80.---)
Date: May 17, 2007 01:36PM

According to weather.com, there's a 50% chance of rain on Saturday in Princeton.

The last CU lax game I saw was their upset loss to Penn in Philadelphia last year. And it was raining.

In general, my experience has been that Cornell teams are affected more than their opponents when the weather is bad.

I'm still planning on coming; I'll be there rain or shine. My optimism is lessened, though. If there's stuff coming out of the sky, I'm concerned that it's to Albany's advantage.

Karl

Date: May 17, 2007 01:39PM

heykb
According to weather.com, there's a 50% chance of rain on Saturday in Princeton.

The last CU lax game I saw was their upset loss to Penn in Philadelphia last year. And it was raining.

In general, my experience has been that Cornell teams are affected more than their opponents when the weather is bad.

I'm still planning on coming; I'll be there rain or shine. My optimism is lessened, though. If there's stuff coming out of the sky, I'm concerned that it's to Albany's advantage.

Karl

Hey, someone on laxpower is claiming rain is part of the reason that Albany lost to Binghamton, so maybe it can be to our advantage.

Posted by: KP '06 (---.ece.cornell.edu)
Date: May 17, 2007 01:43PM

Hillel Hoffmann
Josh '99

So you'd recommend the band leave him alone?

Date: May 17, 2007 02:03PM

saff678

[ithacajournal.com]
Question for Hillel or someone else who knows lacrosse rules better than I do: Is there a limit to the number of people who can dress for a lacrosse game? Is Tambroni going to be forced to decide whether to have Seibald in uniform or some other player who's less talented but more healthy?

Date: May 17, 2007 02:04PM

Hillel Hoffmann
Josh '99
Are you sure the problem isn't just that it hasn't been the right people "paying attention to him" yet? I bet Nick Boucher enjoyed the attention right up until the puck went into the net while he was taunting section A.

Date: May 17, 2007 02:06PM

KP '06
Hillel Hoffmann
Josh '99

So you'd recommend the band leave him alone?

No way. Pump it up. The band has carte blanche to do whatever they want in service of team and country. The band's support of lacrosse this season has been the stuff of goosebumps, and I hope members have noticed how much the team enjoys it (and has acknowledged so in public).

Date: May 17, 2007 02:09PM

Josh '99
Is Tambroni going to be forced to decide whether to have Seibald in uniform or some other player who's less talented but more healthy?

I can give you a half-assed answer until Al, Fred, Chris, Hillel et al can clarify. Perhaps, but not someone who would likely see playing time.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2007 02:09PM by redhair34.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: May 17, 2007 02:21PM

Robb
That's begging the question. The REASON hockey goalie equipment is designed that way is because they're not allowed to be checked. If the rule changed, the equipment would change, and goalies wouldn't get injured. Not to mention the fact that they'd come out of the crease a lot less. It would certainly change the game, but I don't believe for a second that injuries would increase.
There would presumably be a transtion period after a rule change before the equipment caught up with the rule.

It's also possible that changing goalie equipment to make it more effective against checks would make it less effective for the goal tending role (limiting mobility or some such). Such a change could have a significant impact on the game.

That said, I think it's just silly to give goalies special privileges when they're out of their goal crease. If the guy if playing the puck like a skater he should be treated like a skater.

Date: May 17, 2007 02:22PM

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the number of players you can dress is way higher than the number of players that you would use in an important game. Think of all the players that came in for 4th quarter mop up duty or to get a little bit of experience in some of our blowouts. I would almost guarantee Max will be dressed, his playing time is another question.

Posted by: BCrespi (209.191.175.---)
Date: May 17, 2007 02:47PM

heykb

Karl

Very amateur analysis here, but, from what I have seen and read, Albany's offense is very reliant on its transition game. One would think that a wet, slippery, soggy field would hinder such a style. I realize that we play a fast-paced transition game as well, but I think we have enough diversity in our style to not be too adversely affected by the conditions. Am I off-base?

Date: May 17, 2007 02:51PM

The only major effect of rain I can think of would be Tambroni's increased reluctance to take risks with Seibald's foot/ankle.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.raytheon.com)
Date: May 17, 2007 03:39PM

redhair34
Josh '99
Is Tambroni going to be forced to decide whether to have Seibald in uniform or some other player who's less talented but more healthy?

I can give you a half-assed answer until Al, Fred, Chris, Hillel et al can clarify. Perhaps, but not someone who would likely see playing time.

I'm honored ;)

My first thought is with Jacob, that the number of players dressed for any given game is way higher than the number you use. Think of the guys we get in in the 4th quarter when its a blowout. They'd never see time otherwise. If you have to chose between Seibald and one of them, its no discussion. The only time you woulda wished you had them is to get a little extra practice in a blow out, a regret I'm sure we'd all love to have.

Its also not like hockey, you're not rolling 4 lines. You're kinda sort rolling two, which are attackmen & offensive middies when you're on offense, and defensemen & defensive middies when you're on D - i.e. each player is really only doing much for half the game.

But it seemed worthwhile to check the rules, which say:

Squad Size
SECTION 2. There is no limit to the number of substitutes a team may have
for each position listed in Section 1 of this rule. (For method of substitution,
see Rules 4-21, 4-22, 4-23 and 4-24.)

For those who are sticklers, Section 1 lists Offense, Midfield, Defense, and Goalkeeper. So that covers it.

Date: May 17, 2007 04:43PM

BCrespi
heykb

Karl

Very amateur analysis here, but, from what I have seen and read, Albany's offense is very reliant on its transition game. One would think that a wet, slippery, soggy field would hinder such a style. I realize that we play a fast-paced transition game as well, but I think we have enough diversity in our style to not be too adversely affected by the conditions. Am I off-base?
For what it's worth:

Schoellkopf, as we know, is artificial turf.
Both of the fields where Albany's website says they play their games are natural grass.
Princeton Stadium has FieldTurf.

Draw from that whatever conclusions you will.

Field surface
Posted by: TimV (---.amc.edu)
Date: May 17, 2007 07:05PM

Albany's dedicated Fallon Field is where Albany has played every homegame. It's FieldTurf.

Re: Field surface
Date: May 17, 2007 10:40PM

TimV
Albany's dedicated Fallon Field is where Albany has played every homegame. It's FieldTurf.
Weird. Their Athletics website doesn't even mention it.

Date: May 18, 2007 09:34AM

A Seibald update:

[www.theithacajournal.com]

I believe this is the first public acknowledgement of the nature of his offseason injury.

You can make a case that the 2007 team's greatest strength is its adaptability. You can't cope with an injury to a pivotal starter without depth and great coaching -- two things that Cornell has in abundance. You saw how well they coped with Clayton's injury. A Seibald injury is far worse, of course, because so much of Cornell's offense is built around the attention he gets from opposing defenses. And who will take the team on his shoulder when you need one of those last-minute, do-or-die plays? If Max doesn't play, it would be crippling blow to Cornell's chances at a championship.

Crippling, not fatal.

I'm fired up. I think Cornell can take Albany -- or Duke or Hopkins or anyone -- without Seibald. It will require personal best games from players like Glynn, Clayton, Lewis, McMonagle, and others, but I don't see why we shouldn't expect that.

I'm ready for Cornell lacrosse's "Matt McRae moment." Bring it on. See you tomorrow.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2007 09:38AM by Hillel Hoffmann.

Date: May 18, 2007 01:09PM

Hillel Hoffmann
I've watched that clip on YouTube a bunch of times but I just now noticed who uploaded it. Thanks, Will!

Posted by: French Rage (---.packetdesign.com)
Date: May 18, 2007 05:45PM

I know this is a dumb question, but are we game 1 or 2?

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.nh.comcast.net)
Date: May 18, 2007 05:59PM

French Rage
I know this is a dumb question, but are we game 1 or 2?
Noon, Saturday.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.nh.comcast.net)
Date: May 19, 2007 09:32AM

weather.com shows sunny and about 60 at game time with "few showers" starting at 1pm.

Posted by: scoop85 (---.hvc.res.rr.com)
Date: May 20, 2007 12:46PM

Hillel Hoffmann

I'm ready for Cornell lacrosse's "Matt McRae moment." Bring it on. See you tomorrow.

As much as I was hoping for a comfortable victory, you certainly got your wish!

Posted by: RichH (76.28.11.---)
Date: May 20, 2007 12:54PM

scoop85
Hillel Hoffmann

As much as I was hoping for a comfortable victory, you certainly got your wish!

After returning to a state capable of rational thought after a few minutes of blinding, vocal-shredding joy, this was one of my first thoughts. Quite the prognostication, Hillel.

Now when will this one be up on YouTube? dribble

Date: May 20, 2007 01:01PM

RichH
Now when will this one be up on YouTube? dribble
Try here for now: [sports.espn.go.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login