Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Ivy Championships Standings 2006-2007

Posted by CornellFan 
Ivy Championships Standings 2006-2007
Posted by: CornellFan (---.nyc.megapath.net)
Date: May 08, 2007 07:49AM

There is still some rowing.... but here is the current status:

2006-2007 Ivy League Champions Standings

Princeton (9 Titles)

* Men’s Cross Country
* Women’s Cross Country
* Men’s Squash
* Women’s Squash
* Men’s Swimming
* Women’s Swimming
* Football
* Field Hockey
* Men’s Indoor Track

Cornell (8 Titles)

* Men's Lacrosse Ivy Champs (#1 Final Natl. Rank)
* Women's Volleyball-Ivy Champs
* Women's Indoor Track-Ivy Heps Champs
* Men's Indoor Track-IC4A Champs
* Women's Outdoor Track Heps Champs
* Men's Outdoor Track Heps Champs
* Wrestling-Ivy/EIWA Champs (#7 Natl. Rank USA Today, 12th NCAA
Championships)
* Sprint Lightweight Football-CSFL Champions

Penn (5 Titles)

* Men’s Basketball
* Men’s Golf
* Women’s Lacrosse
* Men’s Tennis
* Women’s Tennis

Harvard (4 Titles)

* Men’s Soccer
* Women’s Basketball
* Men’s Fencing
* Softball

Columbia (3 Titles)

* Women’s Soccer
* Women’s Fencing
* Women’s Golf

Yale (2 Titles)

* Football
* Men’s Ice Hockey

Dartmouth (2 Titles)

* Women’s Ice Hockey
* Men's Ice Hockey

Brown (1 Title)

* Baseball

[cornellbasketball.blogspot.com]

Re: Ivy Championships Standings 2006-2007
Posted by: Hillel Hoffmann (---.usb.temple.edu)
Date: May 08, 2007 09:05AM

There's one title on that list that merits pausing and removing one's hat:

Brown baseball.

Never thought I'd see that in any of our lifetimes.

Posted by: nyc94 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: May 08, 2007 09:19AM

Isn't it a bit misleading to include the Men's Track IC4A and the sprint football titles? The list says "Ivy Champions" but the thread is called "Ivy Championships". IC4A and sprint football are not Ivy titles.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: May 08, 2007 04:47PM

nyc94
Isn't it a bit misleading to include the Men's Track IC4A and the sprint football titles? The list says "Ivy Champions" but the thread is called "Ivy Championships". IC4A and sprint football are not Ivy titles.

Sprint football is pretty close to the Ivy League plus a couple others.

For national titles, we should count polo (with horses) even if it's not an NCAA title.

The pep band deserves to be listed here, too. Win or lose on the field, they're always good and always entertaining. (I draw no distinction between the pep band and whatever alumni show up and sqeeze into their red and white shirts. It's all for the betterment of Cornell.) It has to be such a letdown when Princeton's team rolls onto the field at its Class of '52 stadium, looks up, and sees 25 people with tubas, flutes, whatever ... and nobody from Princeton.

Posted by: Chris '03 (137.99.117.---)
Date: May 08, 2007 05:15PM

billhoward

Sprint football is pretty close to the Ivy League plus a couple others.

I don't think a sport with three Ivy teams qualifies...

Although, you may as well count the CSFL title as a "national championship" as I'm pretty sure it's the only league...

Posted by: RichH (216.195.201.---)
Date: May 08, 2007 05:49PM

billhoward
For national titles, we should count polo (with horses) even if it's not an NCAA title.

Dartmouth won the NCAA skiing championship this year for the first time since 1976. Only the 8th time it's been won by a school east of the Rockies since 1954: 3 by Dartmouth and 5 by Vermont.
[en.wikipedia.org]

The day of the Cornell lax game in Hanover, the National Collegiate Figure Skating championships were being held at Thompson Arena. Dartmouth captured their 4th straight championship, after Cornell won the inaugural one in 2003. The eastern teams were Dartmouth, BU, and Delaware...Cornell finished 4th in the eastern regionals and just missed making it to nationals. I stopped in just in time to see a competitor from Denver skate to the theme from "Love Story."

And lets not forget that the Cornell Ultimate team has been one of the more successful club teams on a national level for years. They occassionally make the national finals, IIRC.

Posted by: Chris '03 (137.99.117.---)
Date: May 08, 2007 05:52PM

RichH
billhoward

Dartmouth won the NCAA skiing championship this year for the first time since 1976. Only the 8th time it's been won by a school east of the Rockies since 1954: 3 by Dartmouth and 5 by Vermont.
[en.wikipedia.org]

The day of the Cornell lax game in Hanover, the National Collegiate Figure Skating championships were being held at Thompson Arena. Dartmouth captured their 4th straight championship, after Cornell won the inaugural one in 2003. The eastern teams were Dartmouth, BU, and Delaware...Cornell finished 4th in the eastern regionals and just missed making it to nationals. I stopped in just in time to see a competitor from Denver skate to the theme from "Love Story."

And lets not forget that the Cornell Ultimate team has been one of the more successful club teams on a national level for years. They occassionally make the national finals, IIRC.

But did we have any beach volleyball players at Collegiate Nationals brought to you (and invented by?) CSTV.

Posted by: CornellFan (---.nyc.megapath.net)
Date: May 08, 2007 06:45PM

Of the sports I listed-- at least 3 Ivy teams participated and the schools treat the teams as varsity sports.

At Penn, Princeton, Cornell, Army and Navy, light weight football is a varsity sport. And I think Cornell's sprint title is a nice accomplishment.

[cornellbasketball.blogspot.com]

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: May 08, 2007 07:17PM

CornellFan
At Penn, Princeton, Cornell, Army and Navy, light weight football is a varsity sport. And I think Cornell's sprint title is a nice accomplishment.
I don't think anyone here would disagree. I think the point is it shouldn't be construed as an "Ivy League championship."

Posted by: BMac (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: May 08, 2007 10:01PM

Oh, the Ultimate reference fills my heart with joy... and sadness.

The Buds, Cornell's Men's A-team (as opposed to the B team, the Shake) barely missed Nationals again this year by finishing third in our region last weekend. They had been an incredible team all spring, going 29-3 since March before losing two heartbreakers in regionals, the finals and the second place play-in game.

The Roses, our women's team, made Nationals two years ago, missed last year by one game and didn't make it this year.

Both teams are historical powerhouses.

Posted by: heykb (131.249.80.---)
Date: May 09, 2007 12:22PM

The Cornell Ultimate team was formed in 1973, by Jon Cohn (aka JC), a Hall of Fame disc talent. He roused his buddies and floormates in UHall 2 to start the team. I had the good fortune to be there for some of Cornell's first tournament successes.

There have been good years and so-so years, but there is no doubt that Cornell being in the hunt for Ultimate titles is never surprising to people who follow the sport. Cornell's got 30 years of solid reputation at this point. It gladdens my heart to hear the team is still formidable.

Btw, CU is hosting the disc championships July 9-15 this summer.

Karl Barth '77 (one of the original Buds)

Posted by: Tom Lento (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: May 09, 2007 04:59PM

RichH

The last time the Buds made the finals was in either 91 or 92, where they eventually lost to Oregon. One of the guys on my club team is a fellow Cornell alum who played in that game. The last time Cornell made the semis was 1996, before the tournament was expanded to 16 teams. Even more impressive - Cornell went to club nationals in 1994 and 1995, which is the most prestigious tournament outside of Worlds. In 2001 Cornell lost a tough game in the quarters to eventual national champion Carleton, and I believe 2002 was the last time the Buds made Nationals. I don't know as much about the history of the Roses, but they were a powerhouse and perennial top 10 team until around 98, and as BMac mentioned went back to nationals a couple of years ago.

I wasn't at regionals this year (heck, I haven't gone since my eligibility ran out - sorry guys, maybe if they move the tournament back to Princeton), but I heard Sunday was heartbreaking. Beating the same team - especially a solid team like Pitt - twice in two days is beyond difficult. Congratulations on a solid season. Glad to see the team back in the nationals hunt.

As an aside, both Ultimate and Lacrosse have national championship weekends which conflict with Commencement. I wonder if seniors on the lax team have to fight with their parents over which event to attend if they should qualify for the final four. . .

Rock 'em Buds!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login