Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Response from Jeremy Hartigan on Princeton broadcast issue

Posted by DeltaOne81 
Response from Jeremy Hartigan on Princeton broadcast issue
Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.raytheon.com)
Date: April 19, 2007 04:23PM

He's one of the good guys! And also asks that you contact CSTV and complain to them (emphasis mine).

Fred - Thanks for your note. We are very much with you... we tried as best we could to voice our displeasure with the wording of the release, particularly the message at the bottom to contact CSTV with questions/problems. We are currently in negotiations with several web site companies, and one way or the other there will be changes next year for whatever audio/video we will use. The timing comes from CSTV as well. As soon as CSTV made its decision, our office crafted the release and had it up the same day. It was not Cornell holding off making an announcement on this charge. We've spent several hours dealing with the issue on the phone with CSTV, and that was the final decision. We did spend a great deal of time talking about the ways we will be offering the contest live that day, including audio of the contest through the All-Access service. I suggest you voice your displeasure with CSTV [www.cstv.com]. It could help us in our fight to have this game become part of the all-access service. Thanks much!
Jeremy

I emailed him back to ask if I could post this letter, and, besides saying yes, his response contained some more interesting information (emphasis mine).

Fred - please do. I know that many of the E-Lynah people will be unhappy with this situation. It's a little frustrating because there isn't a whole lot we can do about it. I'm hoping that if our friends and fans over there continue to voice their displeasure to CSTV (rather than to us, where they really are preaching to the choir), it might make a difference. We made several efforts, including using our own camera feeds of the game for All-Access, but because they have the rights to the game, we weren't allowed to do that either.

Also, the multi-platform broadcasts is a non-negotiable for next year. If we stay with CSTV, they will have to provide service for Macs, on Safari, Explorer, Firefox and the like. Hopefully we'll have news on that in the coming weeks. Thanks for your understanding of this unbelievably frustrating situation for everyone and for helping us fight the good fight. Feel free to contact me (phone and e-mail below) anytime you want to discuss this, or any other situation. Hope all is well!
Jeremy

Re: Response from Jeremy Hartigan on Princeton broadcast issue
Posted by: ugarte (38.136.14.---)
Date: April 19, 2007 06:32PM

Jeremy Hartigan
Fred - Thanks for your note. We are very much with you... we tried as best we could to voice our displeasure with the wording of the release, particularly the message at the bottom to contact CSTV with questions/problems. We are currently in negotiations with several web site companies, and one way or the other there will be changes next year for whatever audio/video we will use. The timing comes from CSTV as well. As soon as CSTV made its decision, our office crafted the release and had it up the same day. It was not Cornell holding off making an announcement on this charge. We've spent several hours dealing with the issue on the phone with CSTV, and that was the final decision. We did spend a great deal of time talking about the ways we will be offering the contest live that day, including audio of the contest through the All-Access service. I suggest you voice your displeasure with CSTV [www.cstv.com]. It could help us in our fight to have this game become part of the all-access service. Thanks much!
Jeremy

Jeremy Hartigan
Fred - please do. I know that many of the E-Lynah people will be unhappy with this situation. It's a little frustrating because there isn't a whole lot we can do about it. I'm hoping that if our friends and fans over there continue to voice their displeasure to CSTV (rather than to us, where they really are preaching to the choir), it might make a difference. We made several efforts, including using our own camera feeds of the game for All-Access, but because they have the rights to the game, we weren't allowed to do that either.

Also, the multi-platform broadcasts is a non-negotiable for next year. If we stay with CSTV, they will have to provide service for Macs, on Safari, Explorer, Firefox and the like. Hopefully we'll have news on that in the coming weeks. Thanks for your understanding of this unbelievably frustrating situation for everyone and for helping us fight the good fight. Feel free to contact me (phone and e-mail below) anytime you want to discuss this, or any other situation. Hope all is well!
Jeremy
Jerk.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 19, 2007 06:50PM

FYI, after a second email, CSTV said they credited me back for the last month. I'll believe it when I see it on the statement, but it seems good thus far. I'd rather they would have chosen to include the game instead, but at least I got one.

If anyone else is in the same situation where the Princeton game or the primary, or even sole, reason you extended for a month, give it a shot, and be a polite, but firm/forceful (I did warn that I'd be willing to dispute this with my credit card company for services not rendered, but that I'd really rather work this out with them).

P.S. The way it sounds, I may even still have access for the remainder of the month anyway. Not sure if thats true or not, I'll have to test it when I next get to a PC.

Date: April 19, 2007 06:51PM

ugarte
Jerk.

In case Jeremy read this. That's a running joke around here. He really likes you ;)

Posted by: Liz '05 (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: April 19, 2007 07:12PM

Out of curiousity, what email are others using to contact CSTV?

Edit: This is what I ended up using: [www.cstv.com]
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2007 07:22PM by Liz '05.

Date: April 19, 2007 08:24PM

Yeah, that's what I used to (the link in Jeremy's email brings you to a page, that if you click on account services page, brings you to Liz's link).

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 19, 2007 09:15PM

DeltaOne81
ugarte
Jerk.

In case Jeremy read this. That's a running joke around here. He really likes you ;)
This is exactly what is wrong with doing this. Yes, I was wrongly pulled into this earlier, but here we have someone who is really trying to help and we call him a jerk. Unless someone let him in on it, there being no way in He** he would understand it. All we need is to piss off the hand that feeds us.scared Thanks for letting him in on it.

Posted by: pfibiger (---.br1.glv.ny.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 19, 2007 09:42PM

I wrote an email to CSTV as well, and got back a perfunctory email:

CSTV Drone
Thank you for your inquiry,

Unfortunately, we cannot guarantee that all home games will be available without being PPV. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Thank you,

Desire W.
CSTV Customer Support

"Fortunately, we're happy to charge you once for an annual subscription and then charge you again to see the content we'd promised you. Whee!"

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 19, 2007 10:31PM

DeltaOne81
ugarte
Jerk.

Do I have to even bother?

Date: April 20, 2007 05:48PM

pfibiger
I wrote an email to CSTV as well, and got back a perfunctory email:

CSTV Drone
Thank you for your inquiry,

Unfortunately, we cannot guarantee that all home games will be available without being PPV. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Thank you,

Desire W.
CSTV Customer Support

"Fortunately, we're happy to charge you once for an annual subscription and then charge you again to see the content we'd promised you. Whee!"

Ditto for me. I replied with:

[q]Desire,

Thank you for your prompt response. It is appreciated.

However, I signed up in Fall 2005 with the understanding that all Cornell events televised by CSTV would also be webcast and I confirmed with a customer service representative that service would continue this season before signing up again.

From Cornell's press release about All-Access (9/14/2005): The All-Access pass will include live streaming video that will include dozens of home events as well as contests televised by College Sports Television (CSTV).

If this game is to remain a PPV event, I still want a refund for this month's subscription.[/q]
and got back:
[q]Thank you for your inquiry,

Unfortunately, we cannot offer you a refund for this months fee. We certainly do our best to ensure that you will have access to most events, however this is not something that we can guarantee. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Thank you,

Desire W.
CSTV Customer Support[/q]

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: April 20, 2007 06:31PM

Liz '05
From Cornell's press release about All-Access (9/14/2005): The All-Access pass will include live streaming video that will include dozens of home events as well as contests televised by College Sports Television (CSTV).
Thanks, Liz. I was nearly certain I remembered that statement, but it's nice to see I was correct. Someone ought to remind Hartigan of that.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.client.stsn.net)
Date: April 20, 2007 06:43PM

Liz '05
Thank you for your prompt response. It is appreciated.

However, I signed up in Fall 2005 with the understanding that all Cornell events televised by CSTV would also be webcast and I confirmed with a customer service representative that service would continue this season before signing up again.

If this game is to remain a PPV event, I still want a refund for this month's subscription.
and got back:
[q]Thank you for your inquiry,

Unfortunately, we cannot offer you a refund for this months fee. We certainly do our best to ensure that you will have access to most events, however this is not something that we can guarantee. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Thank you,

Desire W.
CSTV Customer Support[/q]

Liz,

The one thing that I did further is that I told them that if they did not refund me the month, I would challenge it with my credit card company for service not rendered. I said I would rather not have to do that far, and would rather solve it via customer service, but if I had to dispute it for 'services not rendered', I would.

Might be worth a try.

The other thing I did have to my advantage is that its a new subscription. So its quite believable that I signed up for this event primarily (which, I did). A longer standing account may be a problem.

Edit: I haven't yet seen the refund, but I know these things can take several days to appear.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2007 06:44PM by DeltaOne81.

Date: April 22, 2007 12:52AM

Fred,

I did use the term "services unrendered" in my initial email to CSTV; they didn't even bother to respond to the request for a refund.

I think, like you do, that my annual (instead of monthly) subscription hurt me in my attempt to recover some money. I'm not willing to put in the effort of challenging it with my credit card company and arguing for another few hours with CSTV to recover $6, though, and I'm sure they realize that.

Posted by: nr53 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 27, 2007 02:38PM

While procrastinating this afternoon, the following page was brought to my attention by my housemate: CSTV Case Study

So maybe CSTV was just a bit too ambitious with their idea (they gave the company 4 months to design everything), but in any case it is interesting to see that they are outsourcing All-Access to another company.

Posted by: BCrespi (209.191.175.---)
Date: April 27, 2007 04:01PM

"Launching a project of this complexity in four months was nothing short of miraculous. Akamai Professional Services was instrumental in helping us pull this off."
—Ed Talvy, VP of Client Services, CSTV

...or not.

Date: April 27, 2007 04:15PM

BCrespi

"Launching a project of this complexity in four months was nothing short of miraculous. Akamai Professional Services was instrumental in helping us pull this off."
—Ed Talvy, VP of Client Services, CSTV

...or not.
Is that Kyle's company?uhoh

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.raytheon.com)
Date: April 27, 2007 04:32PM

nr53
While procrastinating this afternoon, the following page was brought to my attention by my housemate: CSTV Case Study

So maybe CSTV was just a bit too ambitious with their idea (they gave the company 4 months to design everything), but in any case it is interesting to see that they are outsourcing All-Access to another company.

I wouldn't say they're outsourcing, if you're talking about Akamai. Akamai typically provides the bandwidth abilities and scale, but the content and concept would still belong to CSTV.

To use an old-tech analogy, Akamai would be the phone company that provides the ability to make all those calls, but CSTV would still own the phones, employ the callers, and be responsible for the content of the call.

And yes, that's Kyle's company. They do a lot.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: April 27, 2007 04:39PM

The company delivers comprehensive coverage

The company’s innovative All-Access broadband channels—first launched in 200—have long set the standard for streamed sporting events.
Some might disagree.cry

Date: April 27, 2007 04:50PM

Jim Hyla

The company’s innovative All-Access broadband channels—first launched in 200—have long set the standard for streamed sporting events.
Some might disagree.cry
The author of that bullshit should become a Bush-Cheney speechwriter.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (155.72.24.---)
Date: April 27, 2007 04:54PM

Jim Hyla

Some might disagree.cry

Perhaps the problem is that they are using the same computers from when they launched the service in 200.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: April 27, 2007 05:26PM

Jim Hyla

Some might disagree.cry

Didn't Dean Wormer say Delta House set standards for grade-point average, sobriety ... ?

Along these lines, one could say CSTV sets standards that would be difficult to go beyond.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.dsl2.mon.ny.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 27, 2007 06:41PM

Al DeFlorio
I will not speak for my company in any official capacity.

Akamai distributes the bits from one or two well-connected servers, through our network, to media servers distributed around the globe. All of that infrastructure is used by hundreds of companies every day, and is *rock-solid*: it is public information that all of MLB.tv, for instance, is served by us.

Now, if there is a problem with the bitstream coming into our one or two well-connected servers (hypothetically speaking, of course), there's not a whole lot we can do about it.

Kyle

Posted by: nr53 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 28, 2007 04:18AM

krose
Al DeFlorio
I will not speak for my company in any official capacity.

Akamai distributes the bits from one or two well-connected servers, through our network, to media servers distributed around the globe. All of that infrastructure is used by hundreds of companies every day, and is *rock-solid*: it is public information that all of MLB.tv, for instance, is served by us.

Now, if there is a problem with the bitstream coming into our one or two well-connected servers (hypothetically speaking, of course), there's not a whole lot we can do about it.

Kyle

I didn't mean to say that Akamai is at fault for any All-Access problems. I should have mentioned that they also provided infrastructure for NCAAsports.com and delivered free streaming coverage for March Madness which must have a ton more demand than Cornell vs. Harvard no matter what our own personal views are. I was just surprised to see a company associated with that sort of success also being related to something as glitchy as AA

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login