Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

More Excitement for Cornell Basketball

Posted by CornellFan 
More Excitement for Cornell Basketball
Posted by: CornellFan (---.nyc.megapath.net)
Date: April 19, 2007 02:19PM

Just heard a rumor that we have a very cool opponent on the schedule next year! Anybody up for a trip to Cameron Indoor Stadium? I guess you could also just watch the game on ESPN.

I wrote a bit about it on my blog.

[cornellbasketball.blogspot.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2007 02:21PM by CornellFan.

Re: More Excitement for Cornell Basketball
Posted by: ithacat (128.253.193.---)
Date: April 19, 2007 05:32PM

That would be a trip worth taking.

One correction (re: your blog): Paulus is from Syracuse. It sounds like there's as many Syracuse fans who dislike the Paulus family as like them. Greg turned down SU in both football and basketball, and younger brother Mike (I think it's Mike) turned the Orange down in football -- he'll be going to UNC. I also read that the family has moved down to NC, though that was on an SU fan board.

I wonder if the return trip would be the following year? A stop in Ithaca, a day off, and a trip to the Carrier Dome for a game against SU might make a fun trip.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2007 05:33PM by ithacat.

Date: April 19, 2007 06:26PM

Thanks for the correction! I made the adjustment on the blog.

It is confirmed that Cornell is currently pursuing a 2 for 1 deal with any willing and able "BCS" type opponent. The deal, as proposed by Cornell, would have the first game played in Ithaca with the following two years at the high-major's venue. I don't know if Duke agreed to play in Ithaca, as per the Cornell proposal, but it could make sense with local boy Greg Paulus on their roster. I am sure he still has tons of friends and family in upstate NY.

With respect to the Duke game, please note, I am only reporting a rumor, albeit from a usually reliable source. Location/date all TBD from what I can tell. I won't fully believe the game is scheduled until I see it on www.cornellbigred.com or if it is reported by a credible news source.

I just wanted it on everyone's radar.

Cornell really needs to toughen its schedule to prep for Ivy play. Penn plays its usual tough teams. Even Yale is playing Kansas, UCLA, Stanford and Penn State. I'd love to see Cornell get Syracuse, Duke and 1-2 other "name" opponents on the schedule.

Posted by: mjnets524 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: April 19, 2007 10:31PM

who did you hear this from CornellFan? if this is true, that would be amazing

Date: April 20, 2007 07:42AM

Just keep it on your radar screen and we will see before the end of August if I am right.

Date: April 20, 2007 08:01AM

No problem. Greg Paulus, obviously, is a big draw in Syracuse, regardless of where he's going to school. It sounds like he still goes to the Dome to catch a football or basketball game whenever he gets a chance. Duke with, or without, Paulus is a game that'd attract 30,000 plus. There's just a segment of their fanbase that probably's burned out by all the Paulus-angst.

If Cornell's insisting on a 2-1, I'd be surprised if they play Syracuse anytime soon. As long as the football team's struggling, Boeheim's position seems to be only OOC road games with BCS programs will be considered (or as home games for team members). Football attendance is 15,000 below capacity right now -- SU basketball gets that for an exhibition game. Cornell probably just needs to keep going to Syracuse if they want to play them, at least until the football team's back. Of course, if Cornell's willing to play their "home" game at BCA in Rochester, HBSC in Buffalo, or the Garden in NYC...who knows. Syracuse is probably looking for more games in Buffalo (for Harris and Flynn), Michigan (for Devendorf -- with Belien now at UM that could happen soon), and probably Toronto (not sure how that'll happen, but there'll be 3 Canadiens on the team in 2008).

CornellFan, I really appreciate all the basketball info you share.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2007 08:02AM by ithacat.

Posted by: 2 (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: April 20, 2007 10:03AM

If we are able to win the Ivy as some are now predicting and we are all hoping, if we do play a high major team like Krzyzewski's mercenaries, would that necessarily help us in the tournament seeding? Or, if we fail miserably and are crushed, would that knock us down to a 15 or 16 seed?

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: April 20, 2007 10:31AM

I'm confused, Ithacat - why would the current crappiness of SU football influence their basketball scheduling?

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.dhcp.psdn.ca.charter.com)
Date: April 20, 2007 10:37AM

Josh '99
I'm confused, Ithacat - why would the current crappiness of SU football influence their basketball scheduling?

Football tickets isn't making them money, so they'd want as many home basketball games as possible. He is saying that no matter what they sell out their basketball tickets.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: April 20, 2007 10:45AM

Jacob '06
Josh '99

Football tickets isn't making them money, so they'd want as many home basketball games as possible. He is saying that no matter what they sell out their basketball tickets.
Ah, got it. It's not so much that Boeheim would WANT to schedule all home games as a result, but that his hands would be tied by the administration, to some extent.

Date: April 20, 2007 10:59AM

I don't think losing badly to Duke will hurt us. Penn lost by 40 to UNC this year and it did not result in a bad seed for them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2007 11:00AM by CornellFan.

Date: April 20, 2007 11:10AM

Just a point of clarification...

(1) Cornell is not insisting on a 2 for 1 with a BCS. Rather, they are seeking the arrangement. In other words, if Duke offered to play Cornell ONLY at Cameron, I am sure Coach Donahue would not "insist" on a return date. When Duke offers you a game, you take it-- no matter the time or location. I don't have any details on the rumored Duke game.

(2) I don't think Cornell would shy away from playing Syracuse and Duke in the same year (both on the road) without possibility of a future return game. These are great teams to have on the schedule. In fact, I think there is a very good chance that we play Syracuse and Duke next year on the road and never see either team in Ithaca. But... I am still hoping we get Duke to Ithaca. I just don't think it will happen.

(3) If Cornell gets a BCS school to visit Ithaca (like Georgia Tech 2 years ago), I think it will probably be a bottom-feeder school from a major conference. As an FYI--- North Carolina is playing Penn at the Palestra this year and Penn State is going to play at Yale.

(4) Which BCS type schools could Cornell expect to attract to Ithaca? My hunch is not many. Although, I think A-10 schools could be persuaded like St. Bonaventure, Duquesne, maybe also a school like Rice. But doubtful anyone is going to pack a gym to see Duquesne.

Date: April 20, 2007 01:51PM

Josh '99
Jacob '06
Josh '99

Ah, got it. It's not so much that Boeheim would WANT to schedule all home games as a result, but that his hands would be tied by the administration, to some extent.

That's it...right now SU is leaving approximately $450,000 on the table in football ticket sales alone (per game). Boeheim mentioned this fact recently in an article about being left out of the tournament. An average home basketball game generates more than $500,000 in ticket sales.

Date: April 20, 2007 02:08PM

CornellFan
(1) Cornell is not insisting on a 2 for 1 with a BCS. Rather, they are seeking the arrangement. In other words, if Duke offered to play Cornell ONLY at Cameron, I am sure Coach Donahue would not "insist" on a return date. When Duke offers you a game, you take it-- no matter the time or location. I don't have any details on the rumored Duke game.

If you're talking about Cornell, absolutely. Syracuse could tell Duke to suck an orange. SU basketball is pretty strong currency. SU is (supposedly)exchanging a home-and-home basketball series with Southern Cal for a home-and-home football series. Of course, SU's AD came from USC.

CornellFan
(2) I don't think Cornell would shy away from playing Syracuse and Duke in the same year (both on the road) without possibility of a future return game. These are great teams to have on the schedule. In fact, I think there is a very good chance that we play Syracuse and Duke next year on the road and never see either team in Ithaca. But... I am still hoping we get Duke to Ithaca. I just don't think it will happen.

I would hope not. Cornell's season is the Ivy League. They should play the toughest schedule they can in order to better themselves for conference play. How often will the Ivies get an at-large bid?

CornellFan
(3) If Cornell gets a BCS school to visit Ithaca (like Georgia Tech 2 years ago), I think it will probably be a bottom-feeder school from a major conference. As an FYI--- North Carolina is playing Penn at the Palestra this year and Penn State is going to play at Yale.

Are you secretly a Duke fan? How many people would imply that UNC is a bottom-feeder? Bold...banana

CornellFan
(4) Which BCS type schools could Cornell expect to attract to Ithaca? My hunch is not many. Although, I think A-10 schools could be persuaded like St. Bonaventure, Duquesne, maybe also a school like Rice. But doubtful anyone is going to pack a gym to see Duquesne.

Good points...mid-majors would provide good competition, however. Anything that betters the program should be considered, and probably is being considered.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: April 20, 2007 02:23PM

ithacat
CornellFan

Are you secretly a Duke fan? How many people would imply that UNC is a bottom-feeder? Bold...banana

I didn't read it that way at all; I read it as suggesting that Penn and Yale have an easier time attracting BCS schools to play on their campuses, but they're in Philadelphia and New Haven, while Cornell's in Ithaca, so it's an understandable advantage.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: RichH (216.195.201.---)
Date: April 20, 2007 02:29PM

CornellFan
Just a point of clarification...

Here's my question: when did BCS status start mattering for basketball?? Isn't that a (ridiculously elitist) designation for football status only? Are we going to tip the power to large, athletic factories even more by crossing sport boundries?

Posted by: ugarte (38.136.14.---)
Date: April 20, 2007 02:34PM

RichH
Here's my question: when did BCS status start mattering for basketball?? Isn't that a (ridiculously elitist) designation for football status only? Are we going to tip the power to large, athletic factories even more by crossing sport boundries?
It is just being used as shorthand for "high RPI conferences" because of the overlap.

Date: April 20, 2007 02:37PM

I don't use the BCS term in basketball. However, Assistant Coach Zach Spiker at Cornell is quoted as seeking a "BCS" 2-for-1 opponent. Thus, it Cornell's usage of the term, not mine. However, I should note, I am indeed seeing the "BCS" term more and more in college basketball. I think it is a more defined term than the more often used "high major" label.

What the hell is high-major anyways? There are 335 Division I teams in basketball. Are the top 110 high, the next 110 mid major and the bottom 115 the lows?

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: April 20, 2007 02:41PM

ugarte
RichH
It is just being used as shorthand for "high RPI conferences" because of the overlap.

Except for the MVC being better than the Big 12 this season. Bring on SIU and Bradley! I think I'd rather play a home and home with those schools than be cupcake #21 on the schedule of a school like duke or florida that will never come to Ithaca.
[teamrankings.com]

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: April 20, 2007 02:43PM

The term mid-major is dumb. It all stems from that.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2007 02:43PM by Chris '03.

Date: April 20, 2007 05:21PM

Beeeej
I didn't read it that way at all; I read it as suggesting that Penn and Yale have an easier time attracting BCS schools to play on their campuses, but they're in Philadelphia and New Haven, while Cornell's in Ithaca, so it's an understandable advantage.

I can see that...now. burnout

Date: April 20, 2007 05:39PM

Exactly...

We have a tough time getting teams to Ithaca because there is no reason for any big time program to gain additional recruiting exposure in our talentless region. Moreover, a game against Cornell is a potential "trap" game.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 21, 2007 07:02PM

CornellFan
Moreover, a game against Cornell is a potential "trap" game.
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: April 22, 2007 12:57AM

CornellFan
Moreover, a game against Cornell is a potential "trap" game.

ugarte
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

FYP.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2007 12:57AM by jtwcornell91.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login