Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Ivy Track Recruiting

Posted by Scott Kominkiewicz 
Ivy Track Recruiting
Posted by: Scott Kominkiewicz (---.ebnet.org)
Date: March 22, 2007 07:56AM

If all continues well, one of my children may be a recruited track and field athlete. I have some questions that I hope some of my Cornell sports brethren can help with.

Of course, Ivies can't offer scholarships, but I know that some teams have the advantage of admissions preference for a limited number of their recruits. Do you know if Cornell or the other Ivy track programs get a few gold stars to put on applications? Just curious if anyone has any knowledge about this.

The child I mentioned is only a H.S. freshman, so it's not a pressing matter, but it's something to consider.

Re: Ivy Track Recruiting
Posted by: Swampy (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: March 22, 2007 10:41PM

Scott Kominkiewicz
If all continues well, one of my children may be a recruited track and field athlete. I have some questions that I hope some of my Cornell sports brethren can help with.

Of course, Ivies can't offer scholarships, but I know that some teams have the advantage of admissions preference for a limited number of their recruits. Do you know if Cornell or the other Ivy track programs get a few gold stars to put on applications? Just curious if anyone has any knowledge about this.

The child I mentioned is only a H.S. freshman, so it's not a pressing matter, but it's something to consider.

Scott,

At the very least, your child will be a legacy. Probably not as good as a gold star for athletics, but it did wonders for Dubya at Yale!

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 26, 2007 06:49PM

At some of the smaller elite colleges, student athletes make up a big fraction of the student body - 25%? - so if he or she runs a pretty good 400 meters, that's a leg up at Amherst over the same SAT score / same GPA not athlete.

I think the advantage would come apply itself as many as three times over at Cornell: first, because it's something the HS student has done over four years and stuck to it; second, if he or she appears to be able to make the team, in which case the person fills two slots (student, athlete); and third if he or she would be a standout on the team.

You can get a boost on admissions in odd ways. A friend who's active among Princeton football alumni tells me a talented woman a couple years back was a very good HS football team manager, really wanted to do same for the Tigers, and that combination was enough to have the football staff enthusiastically recommend her for admission, and she got in. She had the grades regardless and the special activity got her over the top among others with equal academics.

I don't see how I'd ever get into Cornell if I had to apply with the current caliber of applicants. But then I don't know how I made it the first time.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: March 26, 2007 07:17PM

billhoward
I don't see how I'd ever get into Cornell if I had to apply with the current caliber of applicants. But then I don't know how I made it the first time.
We wonder that sometimes too... (I kid, I kid.)

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 26, 2007 08:10PM

Actually, I was New York State school photographer of the year three years running. I wasn't that good, but I guess it was off years for the competition, or Larry Baum forgot to enter. Maybe Cornell thought I'd be a good yearbook photographer and marked that slot [X] filled. Heh! They got a sportswriter instead.

Seriously, the thing that really helped was applying to be an exchange junior year, and the guidance counselor (who handled an entire class, not say students A-F for grades 9-12) had lots of time to write glowing recommendations junior year for AFS and YFU ... but had to hustle to write semi-glowing recommendations senior year, so he just recycled the junior year recommendaton as a college recommendation. The rest worked out well for me if not for the rest of Cornell or, now, poor eLynah.

Posted by: Scott Kominkiewicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 04, 2010 12:14AM

Three years ago I posted this in reference to my daughter. (I re-discovered this on a Google search.) I got my answer, and it is yes. She will be throwing for Dartmouth in the fall. I'm very proud of her, although I wish she wound up at Cornell. I can't argue much about her choice though.

Posted by: RichH (12.189.157.---)
Date: February 04, 2010 01:43AM

Congratulations to you and your daughter, Scott!

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: February 04, 2010 11:45AM

RichH
Yeah, congrats! Even if we'll have to root against her anytime she competes against Cornell. :-)

(Not that I have the foggiest idea when Cornell track and field competitions are. But still...)

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: February 04, 2010 03:42PM

KeithK
RichH
Yeah, congrats! Even if we'll have to root against her anytime she competes against Cornell. :-)

(Not that I have the foggiest idea when Cornell track and field competitions are. But still...)

They are scheduled whenever you want to cut through Barton Hall.

Posted by: Scott Kominkiewicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 04, 2010 10:20PM

Thanks for the well wishes. Next year if you want to cut through Barton and there is a track meet in progress, and there are people wearing green uniforms with a large D on them, go to the throwers cage and say hi to Corinne.

I know what you mean about cutting through Barton. To get from my U-Hall to Teagle for practice I would walk through the Campus Store, Statler, Barton, and across the street to Teagle. Didn't know about the tunnel then.

Posted by: Killer (---.c3-0.nat-ubr5.sbo-nat.ma.cable.rcn.com)
Date: February 04, 2010 10:25PM

Scott Kominkiewicz
I know what you mean about cutting through Barton. To get from my U-Hall to Teagle for practice I would walk through the Campus Store, Statler, Barton, and across the street to Teagle. Didn't know about the tunnel then.

I preferred to stay outside on my walk to practice. The cold air kept my ice cream from melting.

Date: February 06, 2010 10:37AM

Killer
Scott Kominkiewicz

I preferred to stay outside on my walk to practice. The cold air kept my ice cream from melting.

And my hair, coming from Teagle. drunk

Posted by: Willy '06 (38.98.164.---)
Date: February 06, 2010 11:02AM

Swampy

It kept your hair from melting?

Date: February 06, 2010 03:58PM

Willy '06
Swampy

After gym class, I used to take a shower. Usually my hair would freeze after a few minutes in sunny Ithaca weather. Killer said he preferred not to cut through Barton Hall because by staying outside the cold air kept his ice cream from melting. So I said, [it also] kept my hair from melting. Get it?

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.arthritishealthdoctors.com)
Date: February 06, 2010 04:01PM

Swampy
Willy '06
Swampy

After gym class, I used to take a shower. Usually my hair would freeze after a few minutes in sunny Ithaca weather. Killer said he preferred not to cut through Barton Hall because by staying outside the cold air kept his ice cream from melting. So I said, [it also] kept my hair from melting. Get it?
Yeah, now.

morgan uceny
Posted by: bernie (---.hlrn.qwest.net)
Date: March 02, 2010 10:12PM

recent cornell grad morgan uceny won the women 1500 meters at the us indoor track & field championships this past weekend. was shown on espn - not sure if it'll be replayed

[www.usatf.org]

Re: morgan uceny
Date: March 03, 2010 09:33AM

I happened to have ESPN at the time. I was disappointed that I didn't see Morgan in the 800 (I think that's what she used to run), but then surprised to see her running the 1500. She came extremely close to placing 2nd after having a sizable lead, but she just barely stayed ahead. The woman who came in 2nd blew past Morgan once they both crossed the finish line.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 03, 2010 09:41AM

Willy '06
She came extremely close to placing 2nd after having a sizable lead, but she just barely stayed ahead. The woman who came in 2nd blew past Morgan once they both crossed the finish line.
Too late.=]

Date: March 03, 2010 11:20AM

Kind of like the USA no goal against the Swiss.

Posted by: ugarte (---.z75-46-65.customer.algx.net)
Date: March 03, 2010 11:45AM

Al DeFlorio
Willy '06
She came extremely close to placing 2nd after having a sizable lead, but she just barely stayed ahead. The woman who came in 2nd blew past Morgan once they both crossed the finish line.
Too late.=]
Where do I send that woman a letter of congratulations for her win in the 1510?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login