Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Minnesota High School Wrestling Shut Down Due To Herpes

Posted by Josh '99 
Minnesota High School Wrestling Shut Down Due To Herpes
Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: January 30, 2007 02:44PM

[www.kstp.com]

Yes, I know it's not college sports and so it's way off topic, but I'm sorry, it was just too funny to let go.

Re: Minnesota High School Wrestling Shut Down Due To Herpes
Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 01, 2007 01:48AM

Some of the wrestlers involved have orally committed to Clarkson? Wait, wrong infection.

[edit add: The call sign appears off by one letter...]
Josh '99
[www.kstp.com] Yes, I know it's not college sports and so it's way off topic, but I'm sorry, it was just too funny to let go.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2007 11:56AM by billhoward.

Posted by: Ben Rocky '04 (129.2.170.---)
Date: February 01, 2007 08:49AM

It took too long for someone to go there. I'm rather shocked.

Posted by: Dpperk29 (---.wlan.clarkson.edu)
Date: February 01, 2007 09:43AM

I am going to try to say this without sounding like an asshole, but I will probably fail miserably.

Bill, I have trouble understanding how can say that you have respect for Clarkson and our program, and then you go and say something like that which is offensive, crude, and uncalled for. I am not expecting you guys to shoot all sorts of wonderful comments praising tech all over the board, but these crude STD jokes are truely uncalled for if you are going to claim that you respect us and our program.

Don't talk out both sides of your mouth.

-Devin

Date: February 01, 2007 11:47AM

Dpperk29
I have trouble understanding [etcetera] ... offensive, crude, and uncalled for ... crude STD jokes are truely uncalled for ...

Let's recap: You go to a sports site organzed for and focused on Cornell hockey that is known to be irreverent. You are shocked, shocked that a close and mostly honored Cornell rival is the subject of irreverent and ribald humor in the week leading up to the big game. Are we on the same page so far?

Look, Devin, we're all in the same boat (and one that is drifting OT): A Tech person attends Clarkson because Cornell wouldn't have you. We went to Cornell because Harvard wouldn't have us (or because we forgot how warm it is at Stanford in the winter). Harvard kids are there grudgingly because they weren't born of the British royal family. The upper class Brits are upset because they have no colonies anymore, haven't won a war without help in the last century, the term "Lucas electricals" inspires peals of laughter, and their department stores are owned by foreigners who the British fervently believe should still be plucking dates out of trees. So we've all got chips on our shoulders, and no fair suggesting what kind of chip that might be in Ithaca. Some of us use humor to get through this unfair world. But it's a new year and as they say at Jenny Craig: We should all lighten up.

We'll (mostly) all root for Clarkson in the fantastical event the Golden Knights advance past the ECAC touranment. First you have to get there.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2007 01:57PM by billhoward.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: February 01, 2007 11:51AM

Relax. The STD joke is a long running one as you well know. Another reference to it is hardly "uncalled for". It is probably crude, but whatever. Whether or not it is or ever was funny is a different question and YMMV.

Posted by: Dpperk29 (---.cubley.clarkson.edu)
Date: February 01, 2007 02:09PM

billhoward
Let's recap: You go to a sports site organzed for and focused on Cornell hockey that is known to be irreverent. You are shocked, shocked that a close and mostly honored Cornell rival is the subject of irreverent and ribald humor in the week leading up to the big game. Are we on the same page so far?

It's not that I am shocked, just perturbed as to how you can make such dumb jokes and still claim respect. it kind of goes against the whole "Love you before the game, Hate you during the game, and love you after the game" mantra.

billhoward
Look, Devin, we're all in the same boat (and one that is drifting OT): A Tech person attends Clarkson because Cornell wouldn't have you.
not the case. I actually have an acceptance letter from cornell at home on my desk. but I needed a change of pace for the People's Republic of Ithaca.

Posted by: ugarte (38.136.14.---)
Date: February 01, 2007 03:15PM

I knew that when there were 6 replies that someone had made a Clarkson STD joke. Imagine my surprise that it wasn't RichS.

Dpperk29
billhoward
Look, Devin, we're all in the same boat (and one that is drifting OT): A Tech person attends Clarkson because Cornell wouldn't have you.
not the case. I actually have an acceptance letter from cornell at home on my desk. but I needed a change of pace for the People's Republic of Ithaca.

You may want to throw that envelope away. It will only lead to regret and bouts of longing. Transfer apps available at any time.

It is a running joke here that Nickerson has syphilis. The joke is based on Nickerson's late-stage syphilis.

We are prone to keep making this juvenile joke for two reasons. (1) It amuses us. (2) It appears to really annoy RichS. You have given us a third reason.

Posted by: Dpperk29 (128.153.210.---)
Date: February 01, 2007 03:25PM

don't worry Ugarte, I'll keep that envelope simply for the satisfaction it will give me in 10 years when I realize I made the correct choice.

Date: February 01, 2007 03:47PM

Dpperk29
don't worry Ugarte, I'll keep that envelope simply for the satisfaction it will give me in 10 years when I realize I made the correct choice.

Mess with him at your own risk. Ugarte is a trained professional who practices on live hecklers as a tune-up for this forum. Recall when Oscar Wilde was challenged to a duel and given his choice of weapons. Wilde: "I choose words. You're dead."

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.raytheon.com)
Date: February 01, 2007 04:50PM

Come on Dpperk, I didn't know Clarkson confiscated your sense of humor at the gate.

Ribbing about an ex-player does not constitute a lack of respect for the program as a whole. Going to the Roundtable and saying it there might (or at least a lack of respect for the fans), but on our own board we're allowed to have stupid jokes.

You need to be a little less sensitive. Everything negative said is not disrespect. If that's too difficult for you, don't read our threads on your school. After and before the game we are friends, but even friends give each other a hard time about things on a regular basis.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: February 01, 2007 05:30PM

Dpperk29
As someone who politlely ignored my parent's suggestions that I go to Columbia (and maybe live at home) I can totally understand wanting to get out of dodge when heading to college. Even more so when the hometown is Ithaca rather than NYC :-).

Date: February 01, 2007 06:10PM

DeltaOne81
Come on Dpperk, I didn't know Clarkson confiscated your sense of humor at the gate.

Ribbing about an ex-player does not constitute a lack of respect for the program as a whole. Going to the Roundtable and saying it there might (or at least a lack of respect for the fans), but on our own board we're allowed to have stupid jokes.

You need to be a little less sensitive. Everything negative said is not disrespect. If that's too difficult for you, don't read our threads on your school. After and before the game we are friends, but even friends give each other a hard time about things on a regular basis.

Hind sight, maybe I overreacted alittle.

but I still think you have gotten your mileage on that joke. If you guys are so innovative, why not come up with something better?

Posted by: Jacob 03 (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 01, 2007 06:16PM

Dpperk29
billhoward

It's not that I am shocked, just perturbed as to how you can make such dumb jokes and still claim respect. it kind of goes against the whole "Love you before the game, Hate you during the game, and love you after the game" mantra.
Not to pile on, but you should consider chilling, Devin. You're well aware people on elynah say stupid stuff sometimes. If I had never seen the Roundtable and USCHO, you might have been able to convince me elynah was alone in this. And if you want to start a club about how stupid the Nickerson/Syph running theme is, let me know. It's obviously up there with the continued performance of the Macho Man dance and Ari's columns as "dumbest things to come out of Cornell hockey fans." I don't understand how it has anything to do with lack of respect (however you want to define it) for the Clarkson hockey program.

That you chose to interject when it was Bill saying something just makes your timing all the more unfortunate. The, uh, "older" members of elynah generally have a healthier respect for other teams than the younger ones do. This specifically applies to Clarkson, when all the younger fans remember is an overachieving team upsetting Cornell (and others) on the way to the ECAC finals, whereas the older fans actually remember an historically successful program. Also, the older fans are less likely to find STDs funny.

And it was Bill! He's not even one of the inveterate Rich S needlers! He's not hostile or abrasive. He just writes sometimes-longwinded posts a lot of us have taken to skimming. How do you go off on him?!

Posted by: Dpperk29 (128.153.201.---)
Date: February 01, 2007 06:19PM

Jacob 03
Dpperk29
billhoward

Not to pile on, but you should consider chilling, Devin. You're well aware people on elynah say stupid stuff sometimes. If I had never seen the Roundtable and USCHO, you might have been able to convince me elynah was alone in this. And if you want to start a club about how stupid the Nickerson/Syph running theme is, let me know. It's obviously up there with the continued performance of the Macho Man dance and Ari's columns as "dumbest things to come out of Cornell hockey fans." I don't understand how it has anything to do with lack of respect (however you want to define it) for the Clarkson hockey program.

That you chose to interject when it was Bill saying something just makes your timing all the more unfortunate. The, uh, "older" members of elynah generally have a healthier respect for other teams than the younger ones do. This specifically applies to Clarkson, when all the younger fans remember is an overachieving team upsetting Cornell (and others) on the way to the ECAC finals, whereas the older fans actually remember an historically successful program. Also, the older fans are less likely to find STDs funny.

And it was Bill! He's not even one of the inveterate Rich S needlers! He's not hostile or abrasive. He just writes sometimes-longwinded posts a lot of us have taken to skimming. How do you go off on him?!

Just a tip from someone who has put his foot in his mouth a few times... read the whole thread before jumping in... [elf.elynah.com]

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 01, 2007 06:35PM

All's well that ends well, and I think it just did. Maybe it's time to move on to tomorrow night's game.

Posted by: Jacob 03 (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 01, 2007 06:36PM

Thanks, Devin. Sadly, I started replying before your last post. I assure you, I had read the whole thread up through Keith's last comment, but as you surmised I am not immune to foot-in-mouth issues.

Posted by: Dpperk29 (128.153.201.---)
Date: February 01, 2007 06:44PM

Don't worry about it Jake...

Posted by: BCrespi (209.191.175.---)
Date: February 01, 2007 08:55PM

Consider me thoroughly impressed gentlemen. In 18 posts on this thread a whopping ONE (the first) of them had to do with Minnesota wrestlers! I think we have reached a major elynah achievement. Congrats to all.

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: February 01, 2007 09:38PM

BCrespi
Consider me thoroughly impressed, gentlemen. In 18 posts on this thread, a whopping ONE (the first) of them had to do with Minnesota wrestlers! I think we have reached a major elynah achievement. Congrats to all.

I fixed your post. It's common courtesy to use commas on this planet.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2007 09:39PM by RichH.

Posted by: mttgrmm (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: February 01, 2007 10:53PM

Crespi, I'm sure that if you had attended Clarkson University, you would have been familiar with the proper placement of commas in English grammar.

For shame, Crespi, for shame.

Date: February 01, 2007 11:06PM

mttgrmm
Crespi, I'm sure that if you had attended Clarkson University, you would have been familiar with the proper placement of commas in English grammar.

trust me, he wouldn't have a clue. Most will admit that engineers can get through without having to learn the ins and outs of commas.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: February 02, 2007 03:56AM

RichH
BCrespi
Consider me thoroughly impressed, gentlemen. In 18 posts on this thread, a whopping ONE (the first) of them had to do with Minnesota wrestlers! I think we have reached a major elynah achievement. Congrats to all.

I fixed your post. It's common courtesy to use commas on this planet.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2007 03:58AM by jtwcornell91.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: February 02, 2007 02:29PM

Dpperk29
mttgrmm

trust me, he wouldn't have a clue. Most will admit that engineers can get through without having to learn the ins and outs of commas.
Ironic, considering it was an engineer who made the first comment about commas. screwy

Or maybe that's not ironic. I never know for sure.

Date: February 02, 2007 02:36PM

Al DeFlorio
All's well that ends well, and I think it just did. Maybe it's time to move on to tomorrow night's game.

... or we could talk yet more about punctuation. Seinfeld got a decade worth of shows out of being about nothing and we're not even to 200 views, yet.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login