Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Floyd Landis tour champion???

Posted by WillR 
Floyd Landis tour champion???
Posted by: WillR (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: July 27, 2006 11:47PM

so unlike certain events involving a lacrosse team in the south i shall withhold judgement of guilt or innocence until a later date, but does anyone have an idea on how accurate these tests are?

One other thing that has always bothered me about these tests is if tests can accurately tell the difference between naturally occuring levels of any drug and/or its effects from what what the natural state could be in an elite athelete. I will admit however that when the Chinese women's swimming team is involved i don't really ever question a "positive" test.

Any takers??

-Will

Re: Floyd Landis tour champion???
Posted by: French Rage (---.Stanford.EDU)
Date: July 28, 2006 12:03AM

You have to understand how odd it is for the French to encounter a man with actual testosterone.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.dhcp.psdn.ca.charter.com)
Date: July 28, 2006 01:59AM

He was most likely tested in the days before and after that day b/c he had the yellow jersey. Why would it only be positive on that one day? He probably just had elevated testoserone b/c he went nuts on that stage.

Posted by: Liz '05 (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: July 28, 2006 09:55AM

When I was listening to NPR this morning, they made an interesting point that the test only measures the ratio of testosterone to epi-testosterone, which could mean elevated levels of testosterone OR depleted levels of epi-testosterone. Apparently, the former case could be gotten from injecting artificial testosterone or using certain drugs...not sure if those same drugs could give you the latter case.

That, and they had a sound bite from Landis saying that he'd taken a shot or two of Jack Daniels the night before. "It was a way to get through the day" that had included, I guess, a simply awful stage.

Posted by: Rita (---.ind.choiceone.net)
Date: July 28, 2006 09:53PM

Don't they have other blood/drug samples or test results to compare Landis's lastest test result too? If he normally does have an altered ratio of testosterone/epitestosterone would not that have been seen in a previous test?

Also, I dislike the fact that they announced the results of the tests (Landis's and others) without repeating it. A positive test for doping substances is very damaging both to the person and the sport. Before announcing results to the public they should be repeated, preferably by an independent lab.

Here is a link to NPR and a Q/A on Landis's test result and the implications.
[www.npr.org]

Posted by: cth95 (---.a-315.westelcom.com)
Date: July 29, 2006 01:03PM

Here is an article providing a voice of reason before any definitive statements can be made. It also provides some good information.

[sports.espn.go.com]

Posted by: judy (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 29, 2006 05:04PM

Rita
Also, I dislike the fact that they announced the results of the tests (Landis's and others) without repeating it. A positive test for doping substances is very damaging both to the person and the sport. Before announcing results to the public they should be repeated, preferably by an independent lab.

I think they had to because Landis had pulled out of 2 upcoming races and was MIA and those race organizers were very much not pleased that he gave no reason and couldn't be reached.

And anyways, you gotta remember, it's the French. They need to have another American cyclist to throw doping accusations at.

Posted by: min (---.hsd1.ga.comcast.net)
Date: August 01, 2006 02:09PM

The NY Times reports that some of the testosterone found in Landis's urine sample had come from an external source, not produced from his own body. Results of the B sample will be disclosed in a few days, but chances are that the B sample will also come back positive.
[www.nytimes.com]

Like everyone who's following the story, my reaction to the doping news was: Say it ain't so, Floyd...

For some reason I feel really bad for Landis's parents. They were genuinely proud of their son in that ESPN interview.

Posted by: Robb (---.losaca.adelphia.net)
Date: August 10, 2006 07:04AM

Not sure if that NYT article was the same one I read a while ago, but in the one I read, the NYT reported that a French newspaper reported that some of the testosterone was synthetic - not at all the same thing as "NY Times reports that some of the testosterone found in Landis's urine sample had come from an external source."

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login