Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Wells College 1868-2024

Posted by RichH 
Wells College 1868-2024
Posted by: RichH (104.28.85.---)
Date: April 29, 2024 02:55PM

Re: Wells College 1868-2024
Posted by: Trotsky (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 29, 2024 06:47PM

Let's protect those pretty old buildings, nom nom nom.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: April 30, 2024 12:11AM

Additional information from The Ithaca Voice Perhaps most encouraging:

College officials said students will be able to complete their current course of study at one of several designated “teach-out” institutions: Manhattanville College, Excelsior University, Hobart and William Smith Colleges, Keuka College, Le Moyne College, Mercy University and SUNY Brockport.

Most institutions are required by their accrediting commissions to have “teach-out” plans to allow students to complete their course of study should the college face a sudden closure.

At an institution-wide assembly Monday, college leadership assured students they would pay the same tuition and receive the same financial aid they would have had they remained at Wells, provided they transfer to one of the designated teach-out institutions.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: April 30, 2024 08:34AM

David Harding

College officials said students will be able to complete their current course of study at one of several designated “teach-out” institutions: Manhattanville College, Excelsior University, Hobart and William Smith Colleges, Keuka College, Le Moyne College, Mercy University and SUNY Brockport.

Most institutions are required by their accrediting commissions to have “teach-out” plans to allow students to complete their course of study should the college face a sudden closure.

At an institution-wide assembly Monday, college leadership assured students they would pay the same tuition and receive the same financial aid they would have had they remained at Wells, provided they transfer to one of the designated teach-out institutions.

That's a lot more encouraging than the original announcement that only mentioned Manhattanville. Westchester is not really a substitute for a campus on the shores of Cayuga Lake.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Scersk '97 (64.251.54.---)
Date: April 30, 2024 10:37AM

Gutting. What a loss to the community.

To pay off the surely mounting debts, I say Cornell buys some buildings and moves them, brick by brick, to replace some of our more horrific structures.

Posted by: billhoward (---.datapacket.com)
Date: April 30, 2024 01:17PM

There are advantages to the new parent school accepting Wells orphans: The news schools get more students, they've got students who've made it through at least one year academically, they're grateful to be taken in, they understand New York State winter weather. New York State has suffered a net loss (~20%) of students the past decade if I'm reading this NYS chart correctly.

Cornell is up, but what do you expect when Cornell is rated among the world's top universities. Cornell's 2024 graduating class entered ~3300 students, 38% more than the class of 1974 (~2400 enrollees). Probably the case with Rochester, Colgate, Hamilton, RPI, RIT, Syracuse, the ones in the national top 100 universities or colleges. None lack for qualified applicants.

Per the New York State comptroller's office
* In academic year 2022-23, New York State public and private higher education institutions enrolled 777,838 full-time and 334,247 part-time students.
* Full-time equivalent (FTE) enrollment at public institutions decreased in 2022-23 by almost 17 percent compared to 2018-19 and by 19.5 percent compared to 2013- 14. Private sector FTE enrollment decreased marginally from the prior year.
* The State has a higher proportion of private college attendance than most states, or 45 percent compared to 22 percent of students nationwide in Spring 2023, according to the National Student Clearinghouse.

The NYS comptroller's chart below counts full-time equivalent students. I don't believe it includes

Posted by: RichH (---.deploy.static.akamaitechnologies.com)
Date: April 30, 2024 05:04PM

jtwcornell91
David Harding

That's a lot more encouraging than the original announcement that only mentioned Manhattanville. Westchester is not really a substitute for a campus on the shores of Cayuga Lake.

Yeah, but there’s clearly some administrative connection:

“Wells has selected a legacy institution partner in Manhattanville University. This institution will plan to house various materials including transcripts, business records and other important artifacts.”

For some reason, I find this interesting. It must be quite a sobering job for the college archivist, essentially tasked with boxing up the soul and essence of a longstanding institution for storage and a last chance for preservation. Too bad they couldn’t carve out a corner of Kroch Library to keep them home.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2024 05:06PM by RichH.

Date: April 30, 2024 10:13PM

On a lighter note, I wonder what modifications we'll see (hear) in "The Song of the Classes".

Date: May 01, 2024 10:48AM

David Harding
On a lighter note, I wonder what modifications we'll see (hear) in "The Song of the Classes".

"I used to date girls from Elmira and Wells ... but I got tired of driving down to Purchase every weekend."

Posted by: George64 (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: May 01, 2024 12:58PM

jtwcornell91
David Harding
"I used to date girls from Elmira and Wells ... but I got tired of driving down to Purchase every weekend."

Definitely “a bridge too far,” namely, the Tappan Zee (oops, Mario Cuomo) Bridge.

Posted by: nshapiro (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 02, 2024 12:24AM

David Harding

Was the reference in that song or in the Cayuga's Waiters song 'Cornell' - to the tune of Downtown?

I would also love to hear that again, if anyone can find it online.

Date: May 02, 2024 10:31AM

nshapiro
David Harding

Was the reference in that song or in the Cayuga's Waiters song 'Cornell' - to the tune of Downtown?

[www.youtube.com]

although it's got the "ladies" version of the Sophomore verse. As I recall the "gents" version it goes:

Oh, I am the Sophomore, with debonair look
My vile Freshman ways I have long since forsook
I used date girls from Elmira and Wells
But in my opinion, the best are Cornell's

Posted by: The Rancor (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: May 02, 2024 01:11PM

Never should have gone Co-Ed. I'm sure there are deeper issues than that, but that was what made Wells a distinct institution, beyond it's remote and beautiful location.

Date: May 02, 2024 01:50PM

jtwcornell91
nshapiro
David Harding

[www.youtube.com]

although it's got the "ladies" version of the Sophomore verse. As I recall the "gents" version it goes:

Yes I have seen that. I cannot find the Cayuga's Waiters song 'Cornell' - to the tune of Downtown.

Date: May 02, 2024 03:32PM

nshapiro
jtwcornell91
nshapiro
David Harding

[www.youtube.com]

Yes I have seen that. I cannot find the Cayuga's Waiters song 'Cornell' - to the tune of Downtown.

I’m pretty sure I have a 30 y.o. CD with that song on it. It’s in storage back home and I’m on a work trip for a few weeks.

Date: May 02, 2024 03:47PM

RichH
nshapiro
jtwcornell91
nshapiro
David Harding

[www.youtube.com]

I’m pretty sure I have a 30 y.o. CD with that song on it. It’s in storage back home and I’m on a work trip for a few weeks.

Wow! If you could (at your convenience) post it somewhere so I could hear it, I would really appreciate it.

Date: May 02, 2024 04:00PM

nshapiro
RichH
nshapiro
jtwcornell91
nshapiro
David Harding

[www.youtube.com]

Wow! If you could (at your convenience) post it somewhere so I could hear it, I would really appreciate it.

I’ll dig it out when I get back and see what I can do. Btw, there is a Waiters album from 2015 on both Apple Music and Spotify. It has “We Didn’t Go to Harvard” with updated lyrics.

Date: May 02, 2024 08:13PM

jtwcornell91
nshapiro
David Harding

[www.youtube.com]

That's exactly what I meant.

I do remember hearing TheWaiters sing "Cornell" to the tune of "Downtown", but I couldn't reproduce any of the lyrics. I did find links to the LP on which it appears, Lost in the Sound, et alia.

Date: May 03, 2024 07:37PM

Scersk '97

To pay off the surely mounting debts, I say Cornell buys some buildings and moves them, brick by brick, to replace some of our more horrific structures.
Just raze everything built since 1930.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.229.167.165.res-cmts.sm3.ptd.net)
Date: May 03, 2024 08:58PM

Trotsky
Scersk '97

You do realize that includes Lynah?

Posted by: George64 (---.res.spectrum.com)
Date: May 05, 2024 02:37PM

In addition to proximity, there’s another connection between Wells College and Cornell. As the story goes, Ezra wanted Henry Wells (of Wells Fargo, and later American Express fame) to locate and endow his proposed women’s college at Cornell. Wells declined, as he wanted Wells to be a separate and distinct entity in his hometown of Aurora. Not deterred, Ezra and Andrew White then convinced Ithaca businessman Henry Sage to donate $250,000 to build Sage College for Women. At first a women’s residence hall, today the Johnson Graduate School of Management.

Date: May 05, 2024 05:32PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
Trotsky
Scersk '97

You do realize that includes Lynah?
The sacrifice is worth it. We can play our games at St. Nick. The working girls in the Mezzanine will have a field day.

Posted by: billhoward (---.edgyage.com)
Date: May 06, 2024 05:50PM

FingerLakes1
In a significant announcement, Wells College has announced its upcoming closure at the end of this academic semester ...
Droll understatement

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login