Thursday, October 19th, 2017
Who is this season's most improved player?
Matt Buckles
Jeff Kubiak
Alex Rauter
Trevor Yates

Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Chapter House fire last night/this morning

Posted by dag14 
Chapter House fire last night/this morning
Posted by: dag14 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 14, 2015 09:33AM

Multi-building fire on Stewart Avenue may be the end of the Chapter House. No injuries, thank goodness.

Ithaca Journal
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2015 09:36AM by dag14.

Re: Chapter House fire last night/this morning
Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: April 14, 2015 11:27PM

Extensive coverage in the Ithaca Voice, too.
[ithacavoice.com]
[ithacavoice.com]
[ithacavoice.com]
[ithacavoice.com]
[ithacavoice.com]
[ithacavoice.com]
[ithacavoice.com]

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: April 15, 2015 05:28PM

I'm still in denial about this, so in the meantime I'll ask: wasn't there a fire at the Chapter House about 20 years ago? Am I remembering correctly?

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: RichH (134.223.230.---)
Date: April 15, 2015 06:13PM

jtwcornell91
I'm still in denial about this, so in the meantime I'll ask: wasn't there a fire at the Chapter House about 20 years ago? Am I remembering correctly?

The only other fire mentioned in the histories I've read was a kitchen grease fire in 1960 where the bar sustained smoke damage. In the late 90s, they did some minor remodeling as they pulled out the brewing tanks and the grilled cheese counter, which opened up the back "hallway" part for the pool tables, dart boards & music stage. They also replaced and expanded the tap system, IIRC.

A couple of eLF regulars got into this piece: [cornellsun.com]

Fundraisers are starting up: [www.ithacajournal.com]

And while I haven't seen anything from Jon (the owner), a current bartender was reached for comment: [ithacavoice.com]
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2015 06:15PM by RichH.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: April 15, 2015 08:18PM

With the Chapter House blaze, the Collegetown bar is a further endangered species. Protective legislation is needed.

Posted by: RatushnyFan (74.118.217.---)
Date: May 12, 2015 06:15PM

Wow, the Chapter House, Palms, Johnny O's, Dino'........did I hear that Pep sold his share of Dunbar's? And Lee long ago. Rulloff's has reopened I guess, is it any good? What is left? :-(

So many memories, so many hours, so many dollars spent!

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: May 12, 2015 08:11PM

RatushnyFan
Wow, the Chapter House, Palms, Johnny O's, Dino'........did I hear that Pep sold his share of Dunbar's? And Lee long ago. Rulloff's has reopened I guess, is it any good? What is left? :-(

So many memories, so many hours, so many dollars spent!

I've been meaning to put together a list.

Current Collegetown spots with a bar:

Collegetown Bagels
New-lloff's
Stella's
The Nines
Pixel (recently tore out their taps & just have cheap swill in bottles)
Dunbar's
Level B (more of a dance club)
Jack's Grill (burger place added a sports bar side)
Loco Cantina (dive in the old ABC Cafe across the side alley from Chapter House)

I'm sure somebody local will suggest corrections.

RIP:
Palms
Dino's
Johnny's
Johnny O's
The Chariot
The Connection/Bear Den (College Ave)
Little Joe's (more restaurant than bar)
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2015 08:14PM by RichH.

Posted by: George64 (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: July 16, 2015 01:15PM

There's still some hope for the Chapter House.

Date: July 16, 2015 11:50PM

George64
There's no mention of it in Journal, but the article was probably triggered by the item on Tuesday (7/14) night's agenda for the Ithaca Landmarks Preservation Commission. The Chapter House is in the East Hill Historic Preservation District, so it would have to be rebuilt in keeping with the original style.

Posted by: RichH (---.northgrum.com)
Date: July 20, 2015 12:26PM

Updating this list with the news that both Pixel and Stella's have closed for good this summer.

Collegetown Bagels
Resurrected Rulloff's
The Nines
Dunbar's
Level B
Jack's Grill
Loco Cantina

RIP:
Palms
Dino's
Johnny's
Johnny O's
The Chariot
Little Joe's
Pixel
Stella's
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2015 12:28PM by RichH.

Date: July 22, 2015 04:09AM

RichH
Updating this list with the news that both Pixel and Stella's have closed for good this summer.

Collegetown Bagels
Resurrected Rulloff's
The Nines
Dunbar's
Level B
Jack's Grill
Loco Cantina

RIP:
Palms
Dino's
Johnny's
Johnny O's
The Chariot
Little Joe's
Pixel
Stella's

Are The Greek House and The Souvlaki House too long gone to warrant an RIP?

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: July 22, 2015 07:54AM

Did TSH have a bar?

Posted by: dag14 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: July 22, 2015 10:33AM

No bar, just beer and bad wine on the menu. And Peter and the S House are still going strong.

Date: July 23, 2015 11:03PM

David Harding
George64
There's no mention of it in Journal, but the article was probably triggered by the item on Tuesday (7/14) night's agenda for the Ithaca Landmarks Preservation Commission. The Chapter House is in the East Hill Historic Preservation District, so it would have to be rebuilt in keeping with the original style.
Now The Ithaca Voice reports that the plan is to rebuild to match photos from about 1905. The exterior walls left standing are too far gone to be salvaged. The plan is to have the Chapter House return to the ground floor and student housing on the three floors above, all opening by August 2016. "Mr. John Hoey, the prior long-term Lessee and owner of the rights to the Chapter House Pub name," will return

Posted by: RichH (134.223.230.---)
Date: July 24, 2015 12:38PM

David Harding
The plan is to have the Chapter House return to the ground floor and student housing on the three floors above, all opening by August 2016. "Mr. John Hoey, the prior long-term Lessee and owner of the rights to the Chapter House Pub name," will return

I'm glad it has been granted eligibility, even if it has to take a red shirt year.

I for one, am excited for my first visit to The Phoenix House.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2015 12:42PM by RichH.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: July 26, 2015 10:53PM

Let's hope they get it right: tall ceilings, wood paneling, cozy front windows. Even if the walls have to come down, one hopes they can salvage the front facade woodwork on the first floor. no one makes thAt kind of stuff right anymore.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: July 27, 2015 09:58PM

Scersk '97
Let's hope they get it right: tall ceilings, wood paneling, cozy front windows. Even if the walls have to come down, one hopes they can salvage the front facade woodwork on the first floor. no one makes thAt kind of stuff right anymore.

If they are going to match a 1905 design, we could get a delightfully atmospheric rathskeller.

Date: August 15, 2015 01:34PM

RichH

Collegetown Bagels
Resurrected Rulloff's
The Nines
Dunbar's
Level B
Jack's Grill
Loco Cantina

RIP:
Palms
Dino's
Johnny's
Johnny O's
The Chariot
Little Joe's
Pixel
Stella's
The Ithaca Voice reports on expectations for Stella's reopening.

Date: September 25, 2015 10:38PM

George64
The Ithaca Voice reports on preliminary plans for the Chapter House rebuild. It's going to need approval from the Ithaca Landmarks Preservation Commission (ILPC), which can be quite prickly about maintaining the character of the original, before all the other approvals a new building requires. I'd wager that it takes several months just to get through ILPC. It's hard for me to imagine them hitting the target date of reopening in August 2016. Here's an old photo (c. 1905) to compare with the new design. Maybe the new design flies through.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: September 28, 2015 01:55PM

How is it that a building can remain a landmark after it burns down?

Date: September 28, 2015 10:22PM

KeithK
How is it that a building can remain a landmark after it burns down?
Here the issue is one of maintaining the character of the neighborhood, the "East Hill Historic Preservation District".
ILPC ordinance, Powers and Duties
K. Preparing a report or recommendation to other City boards and committees regarding plans and proposals that could have an impact on designated individual landmarks and/or historic districts;
See this story with photos on a new apartment building on a formerly vacant lot on Secenca Street between Quarry and Stewart. [brancra.wordpress.com] The new building is in the character of its neighbors. Replicating the old building ensures that you're in character. Here's an example of a replication of an old building on Eddy Street. [brancra.wordpress.com]

Date: November 06, 2015 10:12PM

There's an "early design review" of the Chapter House rebuilding plans scheduled for Tuesday evening, 11/10/2015, before the Ithaca Landmarks Preservation Commission. Brian Crandall reports and comments.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: December 02, 2015 11:40PM

David Harding
There's an "early design review" of the Chapter House rebuilding plans scheduled for Tuesday evening, 11/10/2015, before the Ithaca Landmarks Preservation Commission. Brian Crandall reports and comments.
And in the Ithaca Voice.

Date: January 22, 2016 09:40PM

David Harding
David Harding
And in the Ithaca Voice.
The Chapter House rebuild design is evolving. Brian Crandall comments.in his second bullet today.

Date: January 28, 2016 11:28PM

Chapter House rebuild approved. [ithacavoice.com]

Date: April 27, 2016 09:18PM

Well, crap.

Future Of New Chapter House In Doubt

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: April 28, 2016 10:45AM

jtwcornell91
Well, crap.

Generally, absentee landlords are nothing but festering carbuncles on the body politic.

One wishes a cooperative of Cornellians and other interested locals could get together and remove such an important property from the clutches of these management companies upon management companies.

Date: April 28, 2016 11:43AM

Scersk '97
jtwcornell91
Well, crap.

Generally, absentee landlords are nothing but festering carbuncles on the body politic.

One wishes a cooperative of Cornellians and other interested locals could get together and remove such an important property from the clutches of these management companies upon management companies.

It seems like there ought to be some sort of posthumous landmark status that forbids the owners from building anything except a new Chapter House on that site.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.deploy.akamaitechnologies.com)
Date: April 28, 2016 12:58PM

jtwcornell91
Scersk '97
jtwcornell91
Well, crap.

It seems like there ought to be some sort of posthumous landmark status that forbids the owners from building anything except a new Chapter House on that site.
Because it's well-established that the best way to get property owners to keep their properties from becoming blighted is to cap rents by limiting use. Just ask this scientician: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Trotsky (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: April 28, 2016 03:18PM

Kyle Rose
jtwcornell91
Scersk '97
jtwcornell91
Well, crap.

Because it's well-established that the best way to get property owners to keep their properties from becoming blighted is to cap rents by limiting use. Just ask this scientician: [www.youtube.com]

Oh, Kyle. Never change.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.deploy.akamaitechnologies.com)
Date: April 28, 2016 04:02PM

Trotsky
Kyle Rose
jtwcornell91
Scersk '97
jtwcornell91
Well, crap.

Oh, Kyle. Never change.
You mean starting now?

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: September 12, 2016 11:42AM

I will cry with joy if the "possible layout" on the Pyramid brokerage flyer comes to pass. I want to be able to sit by the windows watching people struggle up and down Williams on a snowy evening again.

There is not a doubt in my mind that a "reconstruction" would be the most lucrative use for that space. Let's hope things keep moving that way.

Date: December 04, 2016 08:57PM

Scersk '97

I will cry with joy if the "possible layout" on the Pyramid brokerage flyer comes to pass. I want to be able to sit by the windows watching people struggle up and down Williams on a snowy evening again.

There is not a doubt in my mind that a "reconstruction" would be the most lucrative use for that space. Let's hope things keep moving that way.
A little more movement. Nick Reynolds at Ithaca.com reports on the reconstruction approvals. The building has cleared its biggest regulatory hurdle, the Ithaca Landmark Preservation Commission, but the owner is asking twice as much rent for the restaurant/bar space as the Chapter House trademark holder was paying. He calls it "a money pit spending more and more before construction with no anchor tenant.”

Date: June 12, 2017 07:34PM

David Harding
Scersk '97

A little more movement. Nick Reynolds at Ithaca.com reports on the reconstruction approvals. The building has cleared its biggest regulatory hurdle, the Ithaca Landmark Preservation Commission, but the owner is asking twice as much rent for the restaurant/bar space as the Chapter House trademark holder was paying. He calls it "a money pit spending more and more before construction with no anchor tenant.”

Back in Ithaca for reunions over the weekend I noticed there seemed to be construction activity on the property. Mark Anbinder at 14850.com and Brian Crandell at The Ithaca Voice now report that is indeed the case, though a tenant for the planned first floor retail/restaurant space (formerly the Chapter House) has not been announced.

Date: August 25, 2017 06:31PM

David Harding
David Harding
Scersk '97

Back in Ithaca for reunions over the weekend I noticed there seemed to be construction activity on the property. Mark Anbinder at 14850.com and Brian Crandell at The Ithaca Voice now report that is indeed the case, though a tenant for the planned first floor retail/restaurant space (formerly the Chapter House) has not been announced.
Brian Crandall reports on construction progress at the Chapter House site and elicits from John Hoey, the proprietor of the Chapter House, the statement that he intends to bring back the Chapter House either at that location or in one of the other empty Collegetown bar sites.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login