Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Hot Truck news and grocery for Collegetown

Posted by David Harding 
Hot Truck news and grocery for Collegetown
Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 01, 2012 11:04PM

Ithaca Journal reports that the City of Ithaca has figured out the the Hot Truck and Louie's Lunch haven't been paying rent on the city streets where they park (unlike the hot dog carts on the Commons, for example). Now they're looking for $2000+/year in license fees.

In other news, there's a report of a proposed new building in Collegetown. It would bring a grocery back to the neighborhood for the first time since Egan's IGA closed. Who remembers back then?

Re: Hot Truck news and grocery for Collegetown
Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 03, 2012 10:49AM

Story says 5,500 square feet of retail space. That's 7-Eleven size. A traditional supermarket is about 30,000 square feet, a big Wegman's 50,000-100,000. What's the closest place for decent food-shopping now?

Posted by: css228 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 03, 2012 12:59PM

billhoward
Story says 5,500 square feet of retail space. That's 7-Eleven size. A traditional supermarket is about 30,000 square feet, a big Wegman's 50,000-100,000. What's the closest place for decent food-shopping now?
Probably the P&C at East Hill Plaza.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2012 01:25PM by css228.

Date: March 03, 2012 01:19PM

billhoward
It depends on your definition of decent, of course. For some, only Wegmans counts. Some might find Greenstar Oasis in the DeWitt Mall downtown acceptable, but it's small and not mainstream. The P&C at the East Hill Plaza (corner of Pine Tree Rd and Mitchell St.) has morphed (long story part 1, part 2) into a P&C Fresh. It's a half hour walk from the Palms over a route not completely equipped with sidewalks. TCAT will get you there in 14 to 18 minutes, depending on which bus you catch. The return trip is 20 or 28 minutes.

Posted by: Rita (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: March 03, 2012 01:23PM

David Harding
billhoward
It depends on your definition of decent, of course. For some, only Wegmans counts. Some might find Greenstar Oasis in the DeWitt Mall downtown acceptable, but it's small and not mainstream. The P&C at the East Hill Plaza (corner of Pine Tree Rd and Mitchell St.) has morphed (long story part 1, part 2) into a P&C Fresh. It's a half hour walk from the Palms over a route not completely equipped with sidewalks. TCAT will get you there in 14 to 18 minutes, depending on which bus you catch. The return trip is 20 or 28 minutes.

That brings backs a lot of (not so good) memories of my first couple of years without a car in Ithaca. I would walk to P&C and catch a bus, with my groceries, back to C-town. My limit was 1 gallon of milk and 3 can items.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 03, 2012 04:49PM

Is there still a food coop in Collegetown?

Posted by: ftyuv (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: March 06, 2012 10:53AM

Rita
David Harding
billhoward

That brings backs a lot of (not so good) memories of my first couple of years without a car in Ithaca. I would walk to P&C and catch a bus, with my groceries, back to C-town. My limit was 1 gallon of milk and 3 can items.
Make sure to pick a route which is uphill both ways.

Posted by: jtn27 (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: March 06, 2012 05:23PM

ftyuv
Rita
David Harding
billhoward

In the snow

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 07, 2012 12:45PM

jtn27
ftyuv
Rita
David Harding
billhoward

In the snow
It's Ithaca; all routes are in the snow.

Posted by: jtn27 (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: March 07, 2012 02:47PM

Josh '99
jtn27
ftyuv
Rita
David Harding
billhoward

In the snow

Not this year.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 07, 2012 03:11PM

jtn27
Josh '99
jtn27
ftyuv
Rita
David Harding
billhoward
In the snow
Not this year.
Snow-woofing.

Date: March 25, 2015 12:04AM

Hot Truck moving?
[ithacavoice.com]

Posted by: KeithK (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: March 25, 2015 12:57AM

David Harding
Hot Truck moving?
[ithacavoice.com]
Makes sense. The West Campus location hasn't really made sense since they moved teh frosh to North.

Mexican food truck in Collegetown
Date: August 22, 2015 05:26PM

The Ithaca Voice reports on the impending opening of the Dos Amigos Mexican food truck later this month. They'll be on Eddy St between Dryden and Williams, just below Cascadilla Hall. Of course they're on Facebook, too.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login