Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Is Ron Paul a "whack job"?

Posted by KeithK 
Is Ron Paul a "whack job"?
Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: February 05, 2008 10:51PM

Had to be done....

IMO, he always sounded like a crazy uncle when the topics switched to anything resembling foreign policy. As much as some would like it, we can't just pull back behind walls and disengage from the world.

Regarding Kyles' reference to the founders, it's a lot easier to be non-interventionist when 1) the rest of the world is months away by sea and 2) you have a whole continent to explore. Even then we intervened when it suited our interests (e.g. Barbary pirates).

On domestic policy issues I respect Paul's ideas a great deal. But that's not enough when you're running for president. (I'd say that I hope his presence moved the other candidates toward the libertarian position on domestic issues, but I know it hasn't.)

Re: Is Ron Paul a "whack job"?
Date: February 06, 2008 11:14AM

For the record Kyle, I wasn't trying to tick you off with the subject. I was simply attempting to move the discussion to JSID. But the helpful moderators did that for us.

Posted by: RichH (216.195.201.---)
Date: February 06, 2008 11:18AM

KeithK
I was simply attempting to move the discussion to JSID.

A noble effort, Keith. At the very least, this wipes a record of a Harvard victory off the face of the hockey forum. I just noticed that the thread was split, so nevermind. Good job by the mod.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2008 11:24AM by RichH.

Date: February 06, 2008 11:22AM

RichH
At the very least, this wipes a record of a Harvard [Beanpot] victory off the face of the hockey forum.
Something that we will no doubt not have to worry about for another ten years.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.cmbrmaks.akamai.com)
Date: February 06, 2008 12:54PM

KeithK
RichH
At the very least, this wipes a record of a Harvard [Beanpot] victory off the face of the hockey forum.
I tried to write "But they could still beat BC!" with a straight face, but I simply couldn't do it.

Kyle

Date: February 06, 2008 01:06PM

KeithK
Had to be done....

IMO, he always sounded like a crazy uncle when the topics switched to anything resembling foreign policy. As much as some would like it, we can't just pull back behind walls and disengage from the world.
He's arguing for trading in peace without barriers. He's not an isolationist, although the establishment media sure likes to portray him as one.

And I reject the implied assertion that 'everything's changed.' The principles on which this country was founded are still solid principles, yet for the last 150 years, we've slowly but surely thrown them all out for the mercantilism of old England. Most countries in the world get by just fine without stationing hundreds of thousands of their own military in 150 other countries. Why do we feel a need to? What makes us different?

When you answer these questions, you'll begin to understand the foundation of the American empire, and why it is unsustainable in the long term.

FTR, I'm not a Paulite: he does hold some positions I disagree with. Nonetheless, he's the closest we've gotten in one hundred years and probably the closest we'll get for another hundred.

Regarding Kyles' reference to the founders, it's a lot easier to be non-interventionist when 1) the rest of the world is months away by sea and 2) you have a whole continent to explore. Even then we intervened when it suited our interests (e.g. Barbary pirates).
I don't think anyone would argue against using retaliatory force against those who initiate force. I certainly wouldn't. Your homework assignment is to distinguish the Barbary pirates from Iraq (easy) and from all the other countries in which we have troops stationed (even easier).

(I'd say that I hope his presence moved the other candidates toward the libertarian position on domestic issues, but I know it hasn't.)
And you'd be right. The GOP will have to suffer a crushing, coalition-rending defeat to even have the opportunity to embrace the core principles of small government, federalism, non-interventionism, free markets, and liberty that would allow it to win once again. Hopefully that will happen sooner rather than later.

Kyle

Posted by: Killer (---.fidelity.com)
Date: February 06, 2008 01:47PM

krose
KeithK
RichH
I tried to write "But they could still beat BC!" with a straight face, but I simply couldn't do it.

Kyle

Besides, then this thread would start taking on a "Men's Hockey" flavor and someone would have to move it to the other forum.

Posted by: Annoying name here (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 23, 2008 09:54PM

Yes. QED.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: April 01, 2008 01:18PM

Removing annoying name from the front page (last post field).

Posted by: Rita (---.agry.purdue.edu)
Date: April 29, 2008 01:53PM

Ron Paul and his fellow libertarians are starting their own community.

Yes, it is in Texas. ;-)

You do not have to pay for the utilities if you don't want to have electricity and the like in your home.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: April 29, 2008 03:03PM

Rita
You do not have to pay for the utilities if you don't want to have electricity and the like in your home.
Isn't that the same as it is everywhere? I stop paying Con Edison, they stop giving me electricity?

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (82.153.77.---)
Date: April 29, 2008 04:30PM

Is it me, or does "Paulville" sound like communism?

Date: April 29, 2008 05:02PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
I think it's just you.

IMO, it's a dumb name, but if it gets freedom lovers living in closer proximity, thus increasing their political power, I'm all for it.

Kyle

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: April 29, 2008 05:41PM

krose
Jeff Hopkins '82
I think it's just you.

IMO, it's a dumb name, but if it gets freedom lovers living in closer proximity, thus increasing their political power, I'm all for it.

Kyle
What, as opposed to all the rest of us freedom haters?

Date: April 29, 2008 05:47PM

Josh '99
In my experience, most people don't understand what freedom really is. They only understand what a lifetime of nationalistic government propaganda tells them freedom is.

Freedom is very simple: it's the right to be left alone to pursue happiness without interference from others, as long as you respect others' rights to do the same.

It seems pretty clear to me that you don't need 40,000,000 words/100,000 pages/150 copies of The Lord of the Rings---that is, the size of the US Code---to describe that.

Kyle

Posted by: ugarte (38.136.14.---)
Date: April 29, 2008 06:22PM

krose
Josh '99
In my experience, most people don't understand what freedom really is. They only understand what a lifetime of nationalistic government propaganda tells them freedom is.

Freedom is very simple: it's the right to be left alone to pursue happiness without interference from others, as long as you respect others' rights to do the same.

It seems pretty clear to me that you don't need 40,000,000 words/100,000 pages/150 copies of The Lord of the Rings---that is, the size of the US Code---to describe that.
A good portion of those 40,000,000 words are necessary to enforce the "respecting other people's rights to be left alone" part of the equation. History teaches that people disagree a lot about what that means.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: April 29, 2008 06:26PM

ugarte
krose
Josh '99

A good portion of those 40,000,000 words are necessary to enforce the "respecting other people's rights to be left alone" part of the equation. History teaches that people disagree a lot about what that means.

Does not.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: April 29, 2008 07:02PM

ugarte
krose
Josh '99

I'd bet that very few of the words in the US code have much to do with that. Most of them have to do with telling people how to live their lives and businesses and with achieving various social goals that the majority (or at least the majority of leaders) have decided are valuable.

Whether the structure of our government is a good thing or not is certainly a valid subject for debate. But if you accept Kyle's definition of freedom and that preserving this freedom should be the highest goal of society it's hard to argue the efficiency and utility of the US code.

Posted by: Beeeej (Moderator)
Date: April 29, 2008 08:06PM

KeithK
Whether the structure of our government is a good thing or not is certainly a valid subject for debate. But if you accept Kyle's definition of freedom and that preserving this freedom should be the highest goal of society it's hard to argue the efficiency and utility of the US code.

If you accept that preserving freedom should be the only goal of society, it's hard to argue the efficiency and utility of the US code.

Hell, it's hard to argue the efficiency of the US code, period. But that's a different story.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: RichH (76.28.11.---)
Date: April 29, 2008 08:51PM

KeithK
Whether the structure of our government is a good thing or not is certainly a valid subject for debate.

But what IS a good thing is that it's free cone day at Ben & Jerry's!!!

Threadjacked you back, bitches. crazy

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: April 29, 2008 09:44PM

Josh '99
Rita
Isn't that the same as it is everywhere? I stop paying Con Edison, they stop giving me electricity?
Most places you can't get a certificate of occupancy if you don't have electric power, water, and so forth.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login