Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

New Forum Features

Posted by CowbellGuy 
New Forum Features
Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: October 24, 2006 11:01AM

As promised, I'm going to start adding new features and will keep a running log here as they're added. If there's anything you hate, just speak up.

Change User Name: In the Control Center, under the Edit My Profile option, you can now change your user (login) name. I've done this manually for a few people in the past, but now you can just do it yourself. If you change your user name, please log out and back in before posting.

Link To First New Post: From the flat message list view, the "# new" at the end of the subject is now a link that will take you to the first new message in the thread.

Readable Dates: The date is now formatted to be more readable. For example, the day can now be "Today" or "Yesterday" and the year will be omitted for posts from the current year.

Avatars: You now have the ability to add avatars. Click Avatar Options in the Control Center and follow directions. The maximum size is 80x80 pixels. If you upload an image larger than that, it will not show up in your avatar selection list. You can also disable showing avatars if you prefer not to see them.

Editor Tools: In the message posting form you will now find a row of tools to help with text formatting, in addition to complete clickable access to all the smileys (and yes, it will insert at the cursor now).

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2007 11:39AM by CowbellGuy.

Re: New Forum Features
Posted by: Chris 02 (---.aere.iastate.edu)
Date: October 24, 2006 12:33PM

I really like the "Link to first New Post" in the flat view. That's a great feature. Before, scrolling through 78 posts to find post #79 that I hadn't read was a pain. This works really well.

Posted by: imafrshmn (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: October 24, 2006 04:09PM

can we get avatars on posts and not just profiles? maybe that's not such a good idea.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2006 04:11PM by imafrshmn.

Date: October 24, 2006 04:18PM

Did I say anything about avatars yet?

Posted by: ursusminor (---.res.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 24, 2006 05:29PM

Would it be possible to have smilies inserted at the cursor instead of at the end of the message? I often go back through a message and enter smilies after entering the all of the words.

USCHO used to do it the way that it is done here, but recently this was cahgned.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: October 24, 2006 05:38PM

CowbellGuy
Avatars: You now have the ability to add avatars. Click Avatar Options in the Control Center and follow directions. The maximum size is 80x80 pixels. If you upload an image larger than that, it will not show up in your avatar selection list. You can also disable showing avatars if you prefer not to see them.
I don't actually *have* an "Avatar Options" button in my Control Center.

Posted by: French Rage (---.packetdesign.com)
Date: October 24, 2006 07:14PM

Josh '99
CowbellGuy
I don't actually *have* an "Avatar Options" button in my Control Center.

Ditto

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: Tom Lento (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: October 24, 2006 10:55PM

Agreed. Even if several other featuers broke in the upgrade, that "new posts" button in flat view would have made the upgrade a net positive.

Since everything has either continued working or been improved, I'd have to say that this upgrade is a major success at this point. Great job, Age!

(Note, I would like a darker background behind the text, but that's a minor quibble - overall this color scheme is nicer than the old one, and if it really bothered me I'm sure there's a browser setting I could change somewhere).

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: October 24, 2006 11:21PM

I'm also not feeling the avatar love here, Age. :`( :-P

EDIT: Never mind, it's working now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2006 11:04AM by Will.

Date: October 25, 2006 11:18AM

Sorry, just fixed it.

Posted by: RichH (216.195.201.---)
Date: October 25, 2006 04:18PM

It keeps getting better! Love the editor tools. Although, the smiley drop down is a bit...busy? I liked the standard smilies being visible, and then having the more specialized ones a click away.

Anyway...fantastic work.

panic

Date: October 25, 2006 04:59PM

Yeah, it is a bit busy, but I sort of prefer this because it only loads the smileys when the menu is clicked, as opposed to every time a message page is loaded. If it's really unbearable, I could add the line of smileys back.

Posted by: RichH (216.195.201.---)
Date: October 25, 2006 05:49PM

CowbellGuy
Yeah, it is a bit busy, but I sort of prefer this because it only loads the smileys when the menu is clicked, as opposed to every time a message page is loaded. If it's really unbearable, I could add the line of smileys back.

Nah, that's a good point. Besides, if I don't know what to type to get a standard smiley by now, I'll just yank the cable modem now.

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.caltech.edu)
Date: October 25, 2006 06:00PM

is there a good way to shrink an image down to the appropriate size for an avatar on a mac?

Date: October 25, 2006 06:10PM

Jacob '06
is there a good way to shrink an image down to the appropriate size for an avatar on a mac?

If you got a system with Graphic Converter bundled that's relatively painless and should get the job done (note it's not the best graphics software out there, but it works). You might be able to save in different resolutions using Grab, but I've never tried it.

iPhoto might do it, too. I know you can do a fair amount of basic image editing to clean up your photos, so I imagine you can pull it off that way.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: October 25, 2006 06:55PM

Bring up the gimp!

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: October 25, 2006 07:57PM

I would have bet my house on that reply from you.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.krose.org)
Date: October 26, 2006 12:44AM

That's what I did. But then, you know my Linux partisanship well. :)

Kyle

Date: October 26, 2006 01:35AM

You bet your house on that reply from JTW? Bold move, Kyle. :p

(Incidentally, gimp is definitely an option under OS X, but it requires X11. I avoid X11 as much as possible, so I didn't even consider that.)

Date: October 26, 2006 01:55AM

Tom Lento
(Incidentally, gimp is definitely an option under OS X, but it requires X11. I avoid X11 as much as possible, so I didn't even consider that.)

See, that's what I was thinking. Any piece of free software could in principle be compiled on OS/X, provided the right libraries etc were available. Although I didn't know about the X11 issue. Does that also cause problems for, say, tkcvs?

Posted by: ursusminor (---.nrl.navy.mil)
Date: October 26, 2006 08:38AM

CowbellGuy
As promised, I'm going to start adding new features and will keep a running log here as they're added. If there's anything you hate, just speak up.

Change User Name: In the Control Center, under the Edit My Profile option, you can now change your user (login) name. I've done this manually for a few people in the past, but now you can just do it yourself. If you change your user name, please log out and back in before posting.

Thanks for allowing me to have a sex-change operation. banana

Posted by: Beeeej (38.136.58.---)
Date: October 26, 2006 09:44AM

On this one individual post - anybody besides me seeing an enormous amount of blank space at the top of the page before the message itself appears?

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: October 26, 2006 10:19AM

Which post? Flat or threaded? What browser? What OS? Got a screenshot? I can't find a problem.

Date: October 26, 2006 11:59AM

[elf.elynah.com]
Threaded, IE 6.0, Windows XP

I can report from home whether it also appears this way on Firefox.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: October 26, 2006 12:25PM

Thanks. I checked it on my copy of IE for Windows and I'm not having any display issues here. Anyone else? Could you send me a screenshot?

Date: October 26, 2006 12:28PM

Oh wait. I think I know what the problem is. If your window is too narrow (so that the main section is narrower than the input form at the bottom of the page, the main contents will shift below the menubar in IE. It's an IE issue (one among many). Not much I can do about it. I could possibly make the posting section a bit narrower. I'd suggest just using Firefox if you can. Hopefully IE7 will take care of some of the bugs.

Date: October 26, 2006 12:34PM

How could that be the problem when it only happens when viewing one post?

My window is plenty wide.

- Steve Worona

Date: October 26, 2006 12:35PM

How does one take a screenshot in Windows?

- Steve Worona

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: October 26, 2006 12:39PM

Beeeej

PrintScreen will capture the entire screen for you to paste into your image editing application of choice. Alt+PrintScreen will only capture the current window.

Date: October 26, 2006 12:54PM

Will
Beeeej

PrintScreen will capture the entire screen for you to paste into your image editing application of choice. Alt+PrintScreen will only capture the current window.
Huh, that's useful. You learn something new every day!

Re: New Forum Features - clock problem
Posted by: Ben Rocky '04 (---.tcsn.qwest.net)
Date: October 26, 2006 09:33PM

I'm in Arizona, and the RMU game is over, but the ELF clock is ticking down to a 7pm MST start time instead of an 7pm EDT start time. So, out here, it appears that the game is starting in 27 minutes. LGR!!

Posted by: Liz '05 (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: October 26, 2006 09:55PM

Ben Rocky 04
I'm in Arizona, and the RMU game is over, but the ELF clock is ticking down to a 7pm MST start time instead of an 7pm EDT start time. So, out here, it appears that the game is starting in 27 minutes. LGR!!

I get the feeling that the count-down is picking up the time on my computer, rather than the time set in the control panel. I get the same thing with Central (computer), even though my eLF setting is Eastern.

Posted by: Ben Rocky '04 (---.tcsn.qwest.net)
Date: October 26, 2006 09:57PM

mountain standard time............. SUCKS
mountain standard time..............SUCKS
mountain standard time..............SUCKS

LETS GO (back) EAST

*applause*

Date: October 26, 2006 10:33PM

Yeah, it's javascript so it's all client side and I'm not sure it can tell what your time zone is. I'm working on a way to feed it the inital time form the server side.

Posted by: ftyuv (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 27, 2006 01:20AM

Why not use the user-defined timezone, and just have the javascript add or subtract its number using that?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2006 01:31AM by ftyuv.

Date: October 27, 2006 02:01AM

If you're talking about the one set in the forum, that's server-side.

Date: October 27, 2006 02:37AM

Ben Rocky 04

Try being on Central European Time and having the countdown think the games start about 6 hours earlier than they do.

Date: October 27, 2006 09:42AM

Normally each post in a thread has a little triangle bullet (carat.gif) to the left of its subject line when you're looking at the threaded view. What does it mean when a post has two little triangle bullets? E.g., [elf.elynah.com]

- Steve Worona

Date: October 27, 2006 10:14AM

Beeeej
Normally each post in a thread has a little triangle bullet (carat.gif) to the left of its subject line when you're looking at the threaded view. What does it mean when a post has two little triangle bullets? E.g., [elf.elynah.com]

It means there are more than 9 levels of intendation, so some are suppressed in the visual display.

Date: October 27, 2006 10:37AM

What he said.

Date: October 27, 2006 11:18AM

...except that from what I can tell from looking at that thread, no levels are suppressed on visual display. What am I missing?

- Steve Worona

Posted by: Liz '05 (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: October 27, 2006 04:34PM

Your link led to Trotsky's reply to Section A Banshee's post. They're at the same indentation on threaded view, but Trotsky's has the extra triangle next to it, indicating that it's another level being compressed to save space.

Does that make sense?

Date: October 27, 2006 05:32PM

No, because what I'm seeing is that Trotsky's post is already intented further than Section A Banshee's post. The first of the two triangles to the left of Trotsky's subject line is lined up vertically with the one triangle to the left of S.A.B.'s subject line, but that's the only way in which they're indented the "same" amount - the subject line itself is indented further.

You're apparently seeing it as it's intended to be displayed. I'm seeing it in a way that means the double-triangle makes no sense. :-)

- Steve Worona

Posted by: ftyuv (---.bstnma.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 27, 2006 06:09PM

CowbellGuy
If you're talking about the one set in the forum, that's server-side.

I'm talking about the one set in "Forum Settings" in my Control Panel page. I don't see why you can't have the server, when it's making the page, pass that to the javascript.

Something like: Modify doCountdown() to have it be doCountdown(timezone), then var currentDate = new Date() + timezone * 60; (or whatever similar code). Then, in the php script, have it write not "doCountdown()" but "doCountdown($gmtOffset)".

Better yet, use the getTimezoneOffset() method of Date :) Specifically, I think if you change setEventDate to:

function setEventDate(year, month, day, hour, minute, second) {
this.eventDate = new Date(year, month - 1, day, hour, minute, second);
// This time was specified in GMT. Convert it to local time.
this.eventDate.setTime( this.eventDate.getTime() - this.eventDate.getTimezoneOffset() * 1000 * 60);
return;
}

you should be able to just specify the game times in GMT in your .inc file and then be pretty much set. Or, something close to that.

Btw, looking at the code, I'm not sure if you need
var timeLeft = new Date();
I think subtracting two dates just gives you a number, and javascript isn't very type strong, so this line just needlessly gets the Date and never uses it -- just replaces it with a number in the next line.
Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2006 04:18PM by ftyuv.

Posted by: Robb (---.northropgrumman.com)
Date: October 28, 2006 12:47PM

Never mind...
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2006 12:48PM by Robb.

Posted by: pfm10 (---.pg.com)
Date: November 09, 2006 12:17PM

This problem may seem quite old by now, but I've been noticing it for a while and just found this discussion. I've run into it on multiple threads, and wondered why the page did not load before I remember to scroll down to the first post. It is evident in this thread as well (hopefully I won't have problems attaching the pics as evidence). And it happens when I check my forum settings in the control panel.

It seems the problem occurs when someone creates a post that stretches the main area further than the normal amount. Usually this is when someone adds a pic that is wider than the normal main area. In this thread's case it occurred when ftyuv added the preformatted text.

Date: November 09, 2006 02:48PM

Well, the alternative is to have the contents of the too-wide post cover up the menubar, which probably isn't ideal either.

Date: November 09, 2006 05:42PM

CowbellGuy
Well, the alternative is to have the contents of the too-wide post cover up the menubar, which probably isn't ideal either.
Or to have the menubar on the left. :-P

Date: November 10, 2006 09:17AM

So, this morning I opened up eLF, and was automagically logged in as usual. I was a little surprised to see 108 new posts in the Hockey forum, but I thought perhaps there'd been a Thursday night game that some people followed.

Then I opened the Hockey forum, and saw "99 new" next to the "Cornell-Hahvahd - where to watch" thread title. Strange, I thought to myself - it's only got 100 posts, and I made several of them myself.

Sure enough, I opened that thread, and other than the first message in the thread, all messages were marked "new," including my own. I probably won't have trouble finding which ones are actually new based on their timestamps, and then I can "mark thread read," so this particular glitch will be over with. But I'd say it's certainly a glitch, wouldn't you?

- Steve Worona

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: November 10, 2006 09:47AM

I think it's because the "where to watch" thread was merged with the "where to watch- socal" thread.

Posted by: Rita (---.agry.purdue.edu)
Date: November 10, 2006 09:50AM

Beeeej
So, this morning I opened up eLF, and was automagically logged in as usual. I was a little surprised to see 108 new posts in the Hockey forum, but I thought perhaps there'd been a Thursday night game that some people followed.

Then I opened the Hockey forum, and saw "99 new" next to the "Cornell-Hahvahd - where to watch" thread title. Strange, I thought to myself - it's only got 100 posts, and I made several of them myself.

Sure enough, I opened that thread, and other than the first message in the thread, all messages were marked "new," including my own. I probably won't have trouble finding which ones are actually new based on their timestamps, and then I can "mark thread read," so this particular glitch will be over with. But I'd say it's certainly a glitch, wouldn't you?

I was wondering how Howie got his So-Cal viewing party post to the top of that thread (and the threads merged- there was a separate So-Cal one last night). Maybe the moderators were in the mood to streamline threads ;-).

Date: November 10, 2006 09:54AM

Ah. Well, then, combining threads is obviously not a consequence-free proposition. Now that we know that, in the future can we just ask the poster to repost his message in the proper thread, then delete his extraneous thread, instead of also inconveniencing the rest of us? :-)

- Steve Worona

Date: November 10, 2006 10:46AM

That merge obviously didn't go as planned. The big thread got added to the small thread, rather than the other intended way. And as you seem to have discovered, the thread loses its read-messages status, so I'll be more judicious about it in the future.

Posted by: ugarte (38.136.14.---)
Date: November 10, 2006 10:49AM

CowbellGuy
That merge obviously didn't go as planned. The big thread got added to the small thread, rather than the other intended way. And as you seem to have discovered, the thread loses its read-messages status, so I'll be more judicious about it in the future.
I figured that is what happened but you still haven't apologized to Beeeej for the considerable inconvenience you put him through.

Date: November 10, 2006 10:55AM

I'll buy him a cheap American beer at dinner.

Date: November 10, 2006 11:11AM

Woohoo!

- Steve Worona

New Forum Features
Posted by: redheadfanatic (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: November 19, 2006 07:50PM

Every time that I have gotten on the forum today, i have gotten the New Private Messages button at the top of my page. I've only had new private mesages twice. Has this been happening to anyone else?

Posted by: ebilmes (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: November 19, 2006 10:19PM

redheadfanatic
Every time that I have gotten on the forum today, i have gotten the New Private Messages button at the top of my page. I've only had new private mesages twice. Has this been happening to anyone else?

Yeah, when I've been getting PMs, they've been coming in groups of 2 or 3 identical PMs. I don't know if this is because the sender is pressing the button multiple times, or there's a glitch in the system.

Clock/time stamps
Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: July 16, 2007 11:51PM

It used to be that my messages got a time stamp that reflected the Eastern time zone, even though they come from the Central time zone. Now it's Mountain Daylight Time. Or maybe Central Standard Time.

Re: Clock/time stamps
Date: July 17, 2007 11:08AM

Do you have your time zone and DST set correctly in your control center?

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: July 17, 2007 10:13PM

Time zone, yes; DST, no. Now it's right. Thanks. I need to change the DST each season (if I care)?

Date: July 18, 2007 08:46AM

Not everyone follows the same DST rules so unfortunately yes.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login