Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Sea of Red/White Out?

Posted by jamison215 
Sea of Red/White Out?
Posted by: jamison215 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: October 18, 2006 01:07AM

I was wondering if any of you think it would be a cool idea for ALL of the Lynah Faithful to wear either all red (Sea of Red) or all white (White Out) for certain big games...I know a lot of people already do so but I think, as a group, we would be even more intimidating for opposing teams if we we all wore all white or all red.

Just let me know what you think of the idea...

Re: Sea of Red/White Out?
Posted by: ursusminor (---.nrl.navy.mil)
Date: October 18, 2006 05:01AM

And be sure to wear white if you go to the game at RPI on 2/10/07. :-P [www.rpiathletics.com]

Posted by: Liz '05 (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: October 18, 2006 07:13AM

Jamison,
I love that you're thinking of how to intimidate opponents, but there are two major problems that have come up in past attempts to do this. The first is getting the word out, especially to all the students. People don't necessarily read articles in the Daily Sun, and since a lot of people sell season (or game) tickets to other people, any email list is incomplete. The other problem is getting people to care enough to do it.

On this forum, you'll also find people who own jerseys and will resist attempts to make them wear the other color (myself included).

Posted by: ithacat (128.253.193.---)
Date: October 18, 2006 07:48AM

Liz '05
Jamison,
I love that you're thinking of how to intimidate opponents, but there are two major problems that have come up in past attempts to do this. The first is getting the word out, especially to all the students. People don't necessarily read articles in the Daily Sun, and since a lot of people sell season (or game) tickets to other people, any email list is incomplete. The other problem is getting people to care enough to do it.

On this forum, you'll also find people who own jerseys and will resist attempts to make them wear the other color (myself included).

I love the idea. It's difficult, as Liz points out -- but last year's attempt didn't turn out too badly (for a first pass). Though I've always thought red to be more intimidating & dramatic, seeing all the white (watching on tv) at the Penn State vs Michigan football game recently was pretty impressive. Of course, 105,000 in Beaver Stadium is pretty impressive on its own.

You might be able to get Athletics to help. If certain games were designated they may be willing to put fliers on seats before home games or something in the game program.

Now how about some new cheers or a dance for the fans (something to get more motion in the sea). I'd love for the students to add a chanting taunt in latin.

Posted by: Beeeej (38.136.58.---)
Date: October 18, 2006 09:08AM

ithacat
Now how about some new cheers or a dance for the fans (something to get more motion in the sea). I'd love for the students to add a chanting taunt in latin.

No offense, but that would make us more like Hahvahd (Sucks). Sure, if it turns out the opposing team's goalie has been getting rogered by his Latin prof, we'll come up with something specifically for him. But otherwise, I think a Latin cheer would 1) make us sound like spoiled, self-righteous twits (hence more like Hahvahd (Sucks)), 2) be nearly impossible to coordinate with enough fans for it to be heard, and 3) be completely wasted on 99% of the people at whom it's directed, since they won't understand anything besides "oh, that's Latin, and I don't know what it means."

As for a dance, well, some of us are still trying to kill the "Macho Man" idiocy. Seriously, Pep Band - what will it take? My wallet's open.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2006 09:10AM by Beeeej.

Date: October 18, 2006 10:18AM

Alright, well it was just an idea...maybe we can plan something for a few of the big games (if any one's interested, we should determine which games to do it for and then try to get the word out and maybe, just maybe, athletics would be willing to hand out white/red shirts at the door during one game). Also, would any one be interested in adding the "na na na na, na na na na, hey hey hey goodbye!!!!!" song after we beat a team just to let them know that they are one of the many teams leaving Lynah with a loss?

Date: October 18, 2006 10:37AM

jamison215
Also, would any one be interested in adding the "na na na na, na na na na, hey hey hey goodbye!!!!!" song after we beat a team just to let them know that they are one of the many teams leaving Lynah with a loss?

That's been done occasionally over the years, but my take on it was that people didn't like doing it much because it wasn't at all unique or original. I think "Winning Team/Losing Team," "Overrated," "One Perfect Season/No Perfect Seasons," et al. are pretty effective in that regard without dipping into the same barrel as every other school.

N.B., I'm not intentionally trying to rain on your ideas. New chants/songs/interpretive dances have often been fantastic when they arise, they just usually arise more organically than by committee on the message board. In case "well it was just an idea" was a defensive response to what you thought was a slam, it really wasn't - you can assume pretty much everything people say here is thoughtful and courteous, until it isn't.

And I wouldn't bet money on Athletics handing out free shirts at a game.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: October 18, 2006 11:00AM

No, no worries, I didn't take offense at all to your posts. I just was thinking of some ideas and I wanted to know what people thought. So, I'm glad you responded and gave your opinion. This forum is a good way to get our ideas out and collaborate with each other so that we can find the best, most creative chants, cheers, etc. so that we will remain amongst the best fans in the country.

About athletics, I figured they wouldn't be very supportive of the idea either but I suppose it's worth a shot.

Posted by: ftyuv (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 18, 2006 11:48AM

ithacat
I'd love for the students to add a chanting taunt in latin.
ES-tis MAL-i! *clap clap clapclapclap*

Posted by: Bio '04 (128.118.170.---)
Date: October 18, 2006 12:21PM

ithacat
seeing all the white (watching on tv) at the Penn State vs Michigan football game recently was pretty impressive. Of course, 105,000 in Beaver Stadium is pretty impressive on its own.

In terms of getting the word out, last year before the Penn State/Ohio State football game, people had put white balloons all over campus saying to "white out Ohio State."

This year at PSU, they're selling official "White Out" shirts. There was a contest for the design and then students were able to vote on which one they wanted. Now those shirts are being sold all over campus. That might help to generate more student support for wearing them.

Of course, buying the Lynah Faithful shirt should be considered the "red out" shirt. I'm not sure why so many people are having a hard time wearing theirs to games...

Posted by: RichH (216.195.201.---)
Date: October 18, 2006 12:37PM

Virginia Tech has been doing that for several years now for football games. They designate one game as "Orange Effect" and one game as "Maroon Effect" and everyone wears that shirt to that game (the maroons are long-sleeve). The on-campus stores/unions as well as off-campus clothing stores stock them and sell them cheaply ($10 for two shirts). Each year, the shirts sport a different design.

Athletics will never take the financial hit to make t-shirts for the fans, but I'm sure they'll have no problem designating a specific date as a "Red Out" if some student organization or charity gets together with them.

[www.sga.vt.edu]

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: October 18, 2006 12:38PM

Beeeej
ithacat

No offense, but that would make us more like Hahvahd (Sucks).

But I like to think that if we made a sign with a quote from Dante, we'd at least know to hold it right-side up. :-P

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: October 18, 2006 12:47PM

Beeeej
jamison215
Also, would any one be interested in adding the "na na na na, na na na na, hey hey hey goodbye!!!!!" song after we beat a team just to let them know that they are one of the many teams leaving Lynah with a loss?

That's been done occasionally over the years, but my take on it was that people didn't like doing it much because it wasn't at all unique or original. I think "Winning Team/Losing Team," "Overrated," "One Perfect Season/No Perfect Seasons," et al. are pretty effective in that regard without dipping into the same barrel as every other school.
Um, we didn't stop doing "na na na na" because it was unoriginal or because it wasn't liked. It was specifically outlawed. Not so much for the usual lyrics but for the strong tendency to append "YOU ASSHOLES!".

Posted by: Cactus12 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 18, 2006 12:53PM

Last season, we had a painfully slow and painfully annoying, repeating "siiiiieeeeevvvveeee" chant going in section A for about 10 minutes straight. Not exactly creative, but we saw the opposing goalie glance up a few times- it was def. getting to his head.

Re: Sea of Red/White Out? Why?
Posted by: TimV (---.amc.edu)
Date: October 18, 2006 12:56PM

This sounds too much like RPI's lame Big Red Freakout - the only time of year the Houston fans make any noise at all (other than fights and the occasional home goal.)

We don' need no steenkin' special nights.

They're ALL huge nights when Lynah's rocking.:-D

Date: October 18, 2006 01:02PM

KeithK
Beeeej
jamison215

Um, we didn't stop doing "na na na na" because it was unoriginal or because it wasn't liked. It was specifically outlawed. Not so much for the usual lyrics but for the strong tendency to append "YOU ASSHOLES!".

Was that this, or "Goodnight ladies"?

Re: Sea of Red/White Out? Why?
Date: October 18, 2006 01:07PM

It wouldn't necessarily have to be a designated "special night"...just for some of the big league games (Colgate, Dartmouth, Clarkson, or Harvard perhaps?) we could go with a white out or sea of red.

If we decide to do it, we should try to get the shirts sold all around campus as one of the previous posters mentioned.

Posted by: redhair34 (---.public.cornell.edu)
Date: October 18, 2006 01:17PM

jamison215
we would be even more intimidating for opposing teams if we we all wore all white or all red.

Maybe...I think a better way to intimidate the opposition is to pack Lynah for warmups. Schafer said there is nothing more intimidating as a player than taking the ice for warmups in front of a hostile crowd. Last year there were probably less than 20 people in the entire student section before every game when the teams first came out onto the ice. How cool would a loud and sustained LGR chant be during warmups?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2006 01:19PM by redhair34.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: October 18, 2006 01:25PM

Amen.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.cmbrmaks.akamai.com)
Date: October 18, 2006 01:26PM

redhair34
Maybe...I think a better way to intimidate the opposition is to pack Lynah for warmups. Schafer said there is nothing more intimidating as a player than taking the ice for warmups in front of a hostile crowd. Last year there were probably less than 20 people in the entire student section before every game when the teams first came out onto the ice. How cool would a loud and sustained LGR chant be during warmups?
This has been a complaint of mine ever since I first started attending games in 1995. Very few people showed up for warmups, even then. Whenever I go back to Ithaca, I am still one of only 15-20 people in the rink during warmups.

Hey, if I can take lots of Fridays off to drive 6 hours, you all can arrive at 6:00, dammit. :)

Kyle

Posted by: French Rage (---.packetdesign.com)
Date: October 18, 2006 01:27PM

Cactus12
Last season, we had a painfully slow and painfully annoying, repeating "siiiiieeeeevvvveeee" chant going in section A for about 10 minutes straight. Not exactly creative, but we saw the opposing goalie glance up a few times- it was def. getting to his head.

Wait, wait, wait. You got kids these days to repeat a slow cheer and not speed in up over the course of 20 seconds. Nice try, we all know that's impossible.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: October 18, 2006 01:29PM

Also, there are a bunch of 8pm Saturday games this year. If you really can't make it for the 7pm start warmups, you should have no excuses for the 8pm games.

Date: October 18, 2006 01:32PM

CowbellGuy
Also, there are a bunch of 8pm Saturday games this year. If you really can't make it for the 7pm start warmups, you should have no excuses for the 8pm games.

We'll automatically have a better turnout for warmups on the nights the game starts at 8pm. Facetimers don't check schedules, they just assume games start at 7.

(...and show up at 7:15.)

- Steve Worona

Date: October 18, 2006 01:33PM

jtwcornell91
KeithK
Beeeej
jamison215

"Goodnight Ladies."

- Steve Worona

Date: October 18, 2006 01:41PM

krose
This has been a complaint of mine ever since I first started attending games in 1995. Very few people showed up for warmups, even then. Whenever I go back to Ithaca, I am still one of only 15-20 people in the rink during warmups.

Hey, if I can take lots of Fridays off to drive 6 hours, you all can arrive at 6:00, dammit. :)

Kyle

I think there are only two ways that the student section will consistently get packed for warmups (not just "big" games).

1) Some form of General Admission (best way)
2) Showing up for warmups becomes the "cool thing to do"( a la waiting in the Ramin Room). If I told the average student season ticket holder that I showed up for warmups for every home and many away games last year they would laugh their ass off.

Date: October 18, 2006 02:06PM

Beeeej
jtwcornell91
KeithK
Beeeej
jamison215

"Goodnight Ladies."
yeah, I'm an idiot. I retract my earlier comment.

Posted by: Dpperk29 (128.153.201.---)
Date: October 18, 2006 02:08PM

one way to fill the rink during warmups is to go the a general admission system. for both of our homegames so far... the student section has been 75-85% full for warmups...

Posted by: jamison215 (---.public.cornell.edu)
Date: October 18, 2006 02:41PM

Definitely agree...let's try to pack Lynah during warmups this year...

Let's ATLEAST get everyone to show up on time.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: October 18, 2006 04:31PM

redhair34
Last year there were probably less than 20 people in the entire student section before every game when the teams first came out onto the ice. How cool would a loud and sustained LGR chant be during warmups?

Plus the 51 in the band presumably.

It was amusing to be in the band on road trips and see the home teams startle when they hear Davy at the start of warmups when their band is still 20 minutes+ away from arriving.

I've always just kind of thought of game time as 38 minutes before the time printed on the ticket... but that's just me.

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.caltech.edu)
Date: October 18, 2006 05:01PM

It is always rewarding when the opposing team starts shooting pucks right at the glass in front of you during warmups.

Date: October 18, 2006 05:04PM

Beeeej
jtwcornell91
KeithK
Beeeej
jamison215

"Goodnight Ladies."

Why was that outlawed?

Date: October 18, 2006 05:22PM

French Rage
Beeeej
jtwcornell91
KeithK
Beeeej
jamison215

"Goodnight Ladies."

Why was that outlawed?

Um... "for the strong tendency to append 'YOU ASSHOLES!'"

- Steve Worona

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: October 18, 2006 05:25PM

ursaminor
And be sure to wear white if you go to the game at RPI on 2/10/07. :-P [www.rpiathletics.com]

Not likely - will be in section seven in RED!

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: October 18, 2006 05:27PM

Cactus12
You're welcome. :-D

Date: October 18, 2006 05:36PM

CowbellGuy
If they were going to make some games start at 8, why not have those be the Friday games, when people are coming after work/class/travelling to Ithaca/whatever else?

Date: October 18, 2006 05:52PM

jmh30
CowbellGuy
If they were going to make some games start at 8, why not have those be the Friday games, when people are coming after work/class/travelling to Ithaca/whatever else?

My guess on the four 8pm starts:
RIT- Women play at 3
Harvard- TV game
Wayne State- Women play at 3
Colgate- Women's game at 3

Date: October 18, 2006 05:56PM

Jacob '06
It is always rewarding when the opposing team starts shooting pucks right at the glass in front of you during warmups.
One Harvard player "missed" the top of the glass and almost hit me with a puck back in 1997 or so. I retrieved the puck and have it sitting on top of my computer at work as a trophy.

Kyle

Date: October 18, 2006 09:27PM

Personally, I blame aderol and instant messenger

Date: October 18, 2006 10:03PM

Cactus12
Personally, I blame aderol and instant messenger

For people missing warmups or for the puck almost hitting Kyle?

Date: October 18, 2006 10:44PM

krose
Jacob '06
One Harvard player "missed" the top of the glass and almost hit me with a puck back in 1997 or so. I retrieved the puck and have it sitting on top of my computer at work as a trophy.

Kyle

In Fall '99 Harvard starting flicking pucks up at the band during warmups. At least one person was hit, breaking his glasses.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.krose.org)
Date: October 19, 2006 01:36AM

Chris '03
In Fall '99 Harvard starting flicking pucks up at the band during warmups. At least one person was hit, breaking his glasses.
That's completely bush-league.

I don't know what the rules really are, but I would have DQ'ed whoever was doing that in a heartbeat. That kind of behavior from players is juvenile and completely unacceptable. The players have to act like professionals; we don't. :)

Kyle

Date: October 19, 2006 11:07AM

[Q]French Rage

For people missing warmups or for the puck almost hitting Kyle?[/Q]

For the inability of people to cheer without speeding up.

Posted by: Lauren '06 (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: October 19, 2006 11:15AM

Cactus12
[Q]French Rage

For people missing warmups or for the puck almost hitting Kyle?[/Q]

For the inability of people to cheer without speeding up.
Maybe I'm insane, but I always assumed they were doing the speeding up on purpose because that's the way it's always been done as long as they've been around. The general perception is that it makes the cheer progressively more urgent, or something.

Date: October 19, 2006 01:09PM

Section A Banshee
Maybe I'm insane, but I always assumed they were doing the speeding up on purpose because that's the way it's always been done as long as they've been around. The general perception is that it makes the cheer progressively more urgent, or something.
Nope, it's just that they're idiots. :-P

IMO a slow steady drumbeat of "Lets go Red!" is vastly more "effective" than a bunch of chipmunks on speed doing it. But there seems to be a natural tendency to speed up the rhythym that is hard for most people to overcome without someone (director, drum) setting the beat.

Posted by: elcielo917 (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: October 19, 2006 05:42PM

stop me if this is stupid, but since we throw colgate toothpaste at colgate, was anyone planning on throwing peppermint patties at york? i know it's just an exhibtion game, but it's a thought.

Date: October 19, 2006 05:50PM

elcielo917
stop me if this is stupid, but since we throw colgate toothpaste at colgate, was anyone planning on throwing peppermint patties at york? i know it's just an exhibtion game, but it's a thought.
Personally, given the mess that usually ensues from throwing shit on the ice, I'd be perfectly happy if we restricted it to Harvard alone. There are better ways to encourage our team and demoralize the other team. Like, maybe, never letting the rink get silent? ;-)

Kyle

Date: October 19, 2006 05:52PM

elcielo917

Sounds OK to me, but...

peppermint patties = hard to clean up (a la swedish fish)

a package of peppermint patties= not hard to clean up

If you're going to do it, I'd go with a package--easier to hurl, clean up, and see. Also, this probably goes without saying but, don't let an usher see you do it.

Date: October 19, 2006 06:45PM

redhair34
elcielo917

Sounds OK to me, but...

peppermint patties = hard to clean up (a la swedish fish)

a package of peppermint patties= not hard to clean up

If you're going to do it, I'd go with a package--easier to hurl, clean up, and see. Also, this probably goes without saying but, don't let an usher see you do it.
Yes, this is stupid. Stop.

Don't throw things on the ice. harvard is a special case in my mind because it's a long standing tradition and because they are a hated rival. There's no good reason to throw candy on the ice for an opponent that we play on rare occasions in exhibition games.

Tossing toothpaste on the ice for Colgate is dumb too.

Posted by: CKinsland (132.236.170.---)
Date: October 19, 2006 07:50PM

[q]The first is getting the word out, especially to all the students. People don't necessarily read articles in the Daily Sun, and since a lot of people sell season (or game) tickets to other people, any email list is incomplete. The other problem is getting people to care enough to do it. [/q]

And the third problem is that most people (well most townies) are wearing their winter coats (which come in a variety of colors).

CK

Posted by: redhair34 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: October 19, 2006 08:29PM

KeithK

Don't throw things on the ice. harvard is a special case in my mind because it's a long standing tradition and because they are a hated rival. There's no good reason to throw candy on the ice for an opponent that we play on rare occasions in exhibition games.

You heard him. Keep your newspapers in the stands.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.krose.org)
Date: October 19, 2006 09:30PM

redhair34
Now, let's not get crazy... :)

Kyle

Date: October 19, 2006 10:04PM

Although not as historically rooted as the fish, the newspapers are still a tradition considering the fact that the Faithful has done this for many years now.

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: October 20, 2006 01:35AM

redhair34
KeithK

I like and do the newspaper thing. So maybe you think I'm drawing arbitrary distinctions. And maybe I am. But it seems like the desire to throw toothpaste or candy or something on the ice every week is not motivated by any kind of creativity but just wanting to throw shit on the ice. That's not something we ought to be doing. Fact is throwing shit on the ice has the potential of damaging the playing surface. There's also the chance of idiots doing it again and getting the team minor penalties. I'm not saying that we should freeze all traditions based on what was being done when I was in school. I'm just saying that you should think real hard before trying to start a new tradition that involves throwing stuff on the ice. It's not the same as doing a new cheer.

Posted by: canuck89 (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: October 20, 2006 01:47AM

amen.

Date: October 20, 2006 02:21AM

KeithK
I like and do the newspaper thing. So maybe you think I'm drawing arbitrary distinctions. And maybe I am. But it seems like the desire to throw toothpaste or candy or something on the ice every week is not motivated by any kind of creativity but just wanting to throw shit on the ice. That's not something we ought to be doing. Fact is throwing shit on the ice has the potential of damaging the playing surface. There's also the chance of idiots doing it again and getting the team minor penalties. I'm not saying that we should freeze all traditions based on what was being done when I was in school. I'm just saying that you should think real hard before trying to start a new tradition that involves throwing stuff on the ice. It's not the same as doing a new cheer.

I don't think you can really call it "a new tradition" when we play York so little and care about them even less. I thought the porn thrown at the U-18 team was particularly funny, and I like the peppermint patty idea. Maybe it would be better incorporated into a cheer, especially since it could be messy, but I disagree that throwing things onto the ice is inherently bad.

I see what you're saying about the morons possibly getting bad ideas, but I actually think that the more often we throw things with the newspapers, the less likely they are to throw anything at any other time.

Posted by: ftyuv (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 20, 2006 08:39AM

Which team is the minty team? That team is the minty team!

My one piece of warning is that if we bust out the "ha you're a candy!" cheers, and if anyone in section O has half a brain, we might find our cheers matched 1-to-1 by big red taunts.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2006 08:47AM by ftyuv.

Posted by: ugarte (160.254.20.---)
Date: October 20, 2006 11:25AM

ftyuv
My one piece of warning is that if we bust out the "ha you're a candy!" cheers, and if anyone in section O has half a brain, we might find our cheers matched 1-to-1 by big red taunts.
"Chemical cinnamon" "Chemical mint" "Chemical cinnamon" "Chemical mint"

Posted by: Lisa (141.254.43.---)
Date: October 20, 2006 12:07PM

I am not sure if anyone knows this yet but section O is no Longer the visiting teams section. Because of the boxes above section O they have moved the visiting section to G. They didn't want the people who paid all the money for a box to have to deal with opposing fans.

Date: October 20, 2006 12:33PM

Lisa
I am not sure if anyone knows this yet but section O is no Longer the visiting teams section. Because of the boxes above section O they have moved the visiting section to G. They didn't want the people who paid all the money for a box to have to deal with opposing fans.

Section G sucks! Section G sucks!

Date: October 20, 2006 12:50PM

That's... wait... they put the visiting section behind our goalie for two periods, away from the loudest part of the student section? That's terrible.

Posted by: RichH (216.195.201.---)
Date: October 20, 2006 01:03PM

jtwcornell91
Lisa

Section G sucks! Section G sucks!

*stares down at his new season tickets in G and quietly sighs*

So G now has grad students, townies, AND opposing fans? Oh...this can't be good. The more I think about it, the more I realize what a bad decision this was (if true...Lisa is the only source I have to go by for now). The top of Section O was already filled with townie season tickets, so there would've been a buffer between the hoity-toity luxury boxers and the opposing fans.

Reasons why the bottom half of Section O should have remained the opposing fan section.

1. They get to watch their team get scored on two periods per game. Way to put the enemy RIGHT BEHIND our own goalie for 2/3 of each game.
2. They get a great view of the student section. Many times, I've been sitting in O and listened to opposing fans being impressed/jealous of the show across the ice.
3. Seperation between the most rabid fans of each side. From G, any yahoo from the opposing side or some punk in D-F who wants to start some trouble can easily get to each other.
4. Similarly, projectile throwing distance. With the opponent seating in Cheel, Gutterson, and Starr so close to the student section, we've been hit with enough coins, apples, trash than anyone should. I'm willing to bet there are enough morons in E and F who think throwing crap is funny or the right way to "answer."
5. Band vs. Band interaction worked the best when it was A across from O. Not just playing wars, but visual communication between conductors in terms of working out who gets to play.

Awful, awful, awful idea. Luxury boxes be damned, keep the sucking in Section O.

Posted by: Lisa (141.254.43.---)
Date: October 20, 2006 01:15PM

At the meeting where this was announced the example of the clarkson Band was used. This meeting was a month or 2 ago so maybe things will change. My source hasn't heard that it has yet. I have known about this for awhile but have been debating about posting it because I don't want to get my source in trouble. I agree with all of the reasons why it shouldn't happen and maybe athletics will change their mind.

Only time will tell.

Date: October 20, 2006 01:18PM

Lisa
they have moved the visiting section to G.
Godammit, I sat in G! As far as I'm concerned, that's like making the clock on McGraw digital.

Date: October 20, 2006 02:05PM

Lisa
You have got to be kidding me. They did WHAT?? You mean that I'm going to be surrounded by drunken assholes from other schools instead of drunken assholes from my school?

I'll tell you this: I'm standing up for the duration of each game, and any opposing fans who don't like it can kiss my lily cracker ass.

Kyle

Posted by: Ben Rocky '04 (---.tcsn.qwest.net)
Date: October 20, 2006 03:14PM

*scrubs brain to clear imagery* :-(

Date: October 20, 2006 03:18PM

Ben Rocky 04
*scrubs brain to clear imagery* :-(
A bunch of Colgate fans in G is a tough image for me as well.

Posted by: ithacat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 20, 2006 10:32PM

Beeeej
ithacat
Now how about some new cheers or a dance for the fans (something to get more motion in the sea). I'd love for the students to add a chanting taunt in Latin.

I think a Latin cheer would...be completely wasted on 99% of the people at whom it's directed, since they won't understand anything besides "oh, that's Latin, and I don't know what it means."

As for a dance, well, some of us are still trying to kill the "Macho Man" idiocy. Seriously, Pep Band - what will it take? My wallet's open.

What, I'm supposed to understand Latin? I just love the soothing stylings of Gregorian rap. They could be chanting "Abandon all hope, ye who doesn't understand" and I'd think it sounds wonderful. B-]

And who said "Macho Man" was banana?

Man, I can't wait for tomorrow night.

Date: October 20, 2006 10:48PM

CKinsland

And the third problem is that most people (well most townies) are wearing their winter coats (which come in a variety of colors).

CK

A heated parking garage attached to the rink might be the only thing that'd solve that problem. Of course, there are some beautiful red coats available.

Date: October 20, 2006 11:03PM

Beeeej

We'll automatically have a better turnout for warmups on the nights the game starts at 8pm. Facetimers don't check schedules, they just assume games start at 7.

(...and show up at 7:15.)

But, what does that mean for the RMU game?

Posted by: daredevilcu (---.riverside.clarkson.edu)
Date: October 21, 2006 03:52AM

OK, even though I'd love to sit behind your goalie for two periods in your barn, this is just absurd. Section O seems like home to me, I've been there so much in the past three years. Plus it'll be so much harder working with the Cornell pep band on cheers and songs... this sounds like a disaster in the making for so many reasons I can't even begin to name them all. Leave us in Section O. I just got comfortable there.

Posted by: las224 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 22, 2006 12:07PM

ithacat
CKinsland

CK

A heated parking garage attached to the rink might be the only thing that'd solve that problem. Of course, there are some beautiful red coats available.

Or... do what all the students do and take your coat off when you get inside! There's no rule that says if you wear a coat somewhere you have to keep it on until you get home. Chances are you're wearing a red sweatshirt underneath anyway that will keep you plenty warm.

There are so many things that the townies do that don't make sense to me (e.g. sitting during the game but standing up during breaks - if you're complaining about not being able to stand, why are you doing it during breaks?). I suppose I should just add this to that list.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/2006 12:08PM by las224.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 22, 2006 12:50PM

las224
CKinsland

Or... do what all the students do and take your coat off when you get inside! There's no rule that says if you wear a coat somewhere you have to keep it on until you get home. Chances are you're wearing a red sweatshirt underneath anyway that will keep you plenty warm.

There are so many things that the townies do that don't make sense to me (e.g. sitting during the game but standing up during breaks - if you're complaining about not being able to stand, why are you doing it during breaks?). I suppose I should just add this to that list.
You stand during the breaks since it's good to stretch and the breaks are shorter than the game. Many of us actually get out and move around, imagine that.;-) Why do students sit during the breaks?:-)

If you're sitting it's hard to take off your coat and put it somewhere. I solved that by getting red coats, but not everyone will do that.

You see as you get older you don't always have the same strength and mobility that you do when your 18. Some of us gladly stand when we are in an area where everyone is standing. I rather like it; however, before and right after when my wife had her knee replaced, she couldn't really stand for a whole game. She and I are both glad those around us were courteous and sat. Trying to view something from someone else's perspective gives one a more knowledgeable view. You should try it sometime. :-}

Date: October 22, 2006 01:23PM

las224
ithacat
CKinsland

CK

Personally, I like to sit, stand, move around (when I can)...two knee reconstructions by the time I was 25 will do that I guess.

Keeping a list could be fun. After sticking around and supporting the team for 10, 20, 30 years one can pull it out and think about how one's life has changed over time. **]

Date: October 22, 2006 01:24PM

las224
Or... do what all the students do and take your coat off when you get inside!

And have people who are late step all over it as they get into their seat (because the only place to put your coat is on the floor)? Personally, I just dealt with the cold walk because I didn't want to destroy my coat at a hockey game, but I don't blame those who don't.

Date: October 24, 2006 11:52AM

Don't be a wimp. Leave your coat in your car and tough it out. B-]

Posted by: ithacat (128.253.193.---)
Date: October 24, 2006 02:27PM

Josh '99

Car? I don't wear a coat when I walk from South Hill. I'm a red layer guy. I wear so much red my wife doesn't like to go out to dinner with me before games (she also wears red, btw). nut

Date: October 24, 2006 02:32PM

ithacat
Josh '99

Car? I don't wear a coat when I walk from South Hill. I'm a red layer guy. I wear so much red my wife doesn't like to go out to dinner with me before games (she also wears red, btw). nut
Then I do apologize. That is adequately tough for my standards. :-D

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login