Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Athletic's Website

Posted by LaJollaRed 
Athletic's Website
Posted by: LaJollaRed (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 09, 2006 06:42PM

Anyone else irked by the pop-up ads on www.cornellbigred.com ? It makes the site unreadable

Re: Athletic's Website
Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: October 09, 2006 08:45PM

[www.mozilla.com]

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: October 09, 2006 11:16PM

Shameful. Other sites that are understaffed and underfunded manage better than Cornell does. But none of them has eLynah.

Posted by: bandrews37 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 10, 2006 12:10AM

Yeah, because this site is SOOO well maintained rolleyes

Tell me-is Matt Moulson still the leading scorer or David McKee the top goalie?

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: October 10, 2006 12:14AM

bandrews37

Well, nobody's beaten them yet this season. :-P

Posted by: French Rage (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: October 10, 2006 02:04AM

bandrews37

You created an account JUST to say that. :-}

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: RichH (216.195.201.---)
Date: October 10, 2006 10:48AM

LaJollaRed
Anyone else irked by the pop-up ads on www.cornellbigred.com ? It makes the site unreadable

Yep. Just another devolution from the bold step down discussed here (ignore the automobile thread-drift):

[elf.elynah.com]

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: October 10, 2006 12:02PM

bandrews37

Free equals don't complain, ass.

Posted by: ugarte (160.254.108.---)
Date: October 10, 2006 12:09PM

Trotsky
bandrews37

Free equals don't complain, ass.
What kind of America are you living in? Free means complain as much as you want. (OTOH, "no charge" means don't expect much in the way of prompt, polite customer service.)

Date: October 10, 2006 12:26PM

ugarte
What kind of America are you living in?

I ask myself that question more and more.

Free means complain as much as you want. (OTOH, "no charge" means don't expect much in the way of prompt, polite customer service.)

Well, let me amend that. Free equals your complaint will be ignored. In the case of All-Access, a paid subscription equals your complaint will be ignored.

Posted by: kaelistus (---.mak.com)
Date: October 10, 2006 01:10PM

I've mentioned this before. I find it a disgrace to Cornell that they can't have an Athletics site that's not ridden with ads.

Really, for me, its beyond shameful and so incredibly pathetic that its hard for me to believe its the same Cornell I went to 6 years ago.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: October 10, 2006 01:49PM

kaelistus
Really, for me, its beyond shameful and so incredibly pathetic that its hard for me to believe its the same Cornell I went to 6 years ago.
What Cornell did you go to? While I agree that it's pathetic, it seems perfectly consistent with the school I attended...

(Aside: I love Cornell. I just think the folks that run it are often cheap and pathetic.)

Posted by: bandrews37 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: October 11, 2006 01:09AM

So you're reading their website and it's not costing you a dime to do so. They could always add that under "no-Access" and make you pay for it. Under that pretense, I'm all for pop-ups.

Date: October 11, 2006 12:10PM

bandrews37
So you're reading their website and it's not costing you a dime to do so. They could always add that under "no-Access" and make you pay for it. Under that pretense, I'm all for pop-ups.
You would have a good point if there were no other source for Cornell hockey information than the official website. Fortunately you can follow the team very well online without ever going to their crappy site. Thus the pop-ups are bitch-worthy.

Posted by: ftyuv (---.bstnma.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 11, 2006 12:44PM

Also, while we're not actually paying for the Cornell website, I think of it as being included in the whole Cornell experience -- and that we paid up the ass for.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 11, 2006 12:47PM

KeithK
bandrews37
You would have a good point if there were no other source for Cornell hockey information than the official website. Fortunately you can follow the team very well online without ever going to their crappy site. Thus the pop-ups are bitch-worthy.

Actually, he still doesn't have a good point. Advertising is annoying but understandable; pop-ups are *always* bitch-worthy. Punkt.

Posted by: Beeeej (38.136.58.---)
Date: October 11, 2006 01:12PM

...but still not full price.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: October 12, 2006 11:43AM

KeithK
What Cornell did you go to? While I agree that it's pathetic, it seems perfectly consistent with the school I attended...

(Aside: I love Cornell. I just think the folks that run it are often cheap and pathetic.)

The Cornell I went to was a land development scheme masquerading as a university to get tax breaks.

I loved the faculty, students, campus and mind-altering experience of Cornell. The Trustees and their policy minions were, are, and always shall be just another circle jerk of dimwitted, speculating, silver spoon assholes.

Date: October 12, 2006 11:47AM

Trotsky
I loved the faculty, students, campus and mind-altering experience of Cornell. The Trustees and their policy minions were, are, and always shall be just another circle jerk of dimwitted, speculating, silver spoon assholes.

Yes, but shouldn't the apostrophe in this thread title be after the "s?"

Date: October 12, 2006 12:00PM

RichH

Yes, followed by another s.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.cmbrmaks.akamai.com)
Date: October 12, 2006 12:28PM

Trotsky
I take back everything bad I've ever said about you. ;-)

Kyle

Date: October 12, 2006 12:32PM

Beeeej
RichH

Oh, you're one of those? Tisk tisk. :-P

Date: October 12, 2006 12:45PM

ftyuv
Beeeej
RichH

Oh, you're one of those...

...whose possessives make sense? Why, yes, I am. :-D

- Steve Worona

Date: October 12, 2006 01:32PM

Beeeej
ftyuv
Beeeej
RichH

Oh, you're one of those...

...whose possessives make sense? Why, yes, I am. :-D

Well, suit yourself. Personally, I like my possessives like I like my women: apostrophe-s or s-apostrophe, but never s-apostrophe-s; and irregular in the case of pronominals.

Date: October 12, 2006 02:49PM

It's just never made the slightest bit of sense to me to say, "Okay, it's apostrophe-s if it's a singular, and s-apostrophe if it's a plural, but if it's a singular or collective or proper that ends in s, go ahead and spell it s-apostrophe even though it's not plural and even though you pronounce it like it's s-apostrophe-s." Plus, even those who use s-apostrophe for some singulars, collectives, and propers don't use it for others; there's often no consistency, just "whatever feels right at the time."

The Chicago Manual of Style's rule amuses me - they agree with me except when the proper is Jesus or Moses, then it's just s-apostrophe. laugh

I like my women like I like my coffee; saturated with Irish whiskey and topped with whipped cream.

- Steve Worona

Posted by: French Rage (---.packetdesign.com)
Date: October 12, 2006 02:50PM

Wow, this thread sucks.

Date: October 12, 2006 02:59PM

French Rage
Wow, this thread sucks.

Pretty much my point, but I said it without actually saying it.

Date: October 12, 2006 03:04PM

Beeeej
The Chicago Manual of Style's rule amuses me - they agree with me except when the proper is Jesus or Moses, then it's just s-apostrophe.

AP style distinguishes between voiced and unvoiced final Ss.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: October 12, 2006 03:45PM

ftyuv
Beeeej
The Chicago Manual of Style's rule amuses me - they agree with me except when the proper is Jesus or Moses, then it's just s-apostrophe.

That's the policy I've always followed. Either is correct. But I think we can all agree that what's in the subject name isn't correct for any form of written English.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: October 12, 2006 03:52PM

French Rage
Wow, this thread suck's.

Fixed yer post.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: ugarte (160.254.20.---)
Date: October 12, 2006 04:15PM

CowbellGuy
ftyuv
Beeeej

That's the policy I've always followed. Either is correct. But I think we can all agree that what's in the subject name isn't correct for any form of written English.
Unless it is referring to this.

Date: October 12, 2006 04:31PM

ugarte
CowbellGuy
ftyuv
Beeeej

Unless it is referring to this.

The AP style also says that people have a right to be called whatever they wish, and that you shouldn't print their name in a way other than what they want unless you have good reason (such as them lying about their name). I would assume the same applies to institutions. So if Sam wants his name to appear as S'sam, you do it, and if the A's want their name to appear as the A's, you do it.

Date: October 12, 2006 04:31PM

This has been a really long off-season... snore

Date: October 12, 2006 06:51PM

Beeeej
It's just never made the slightest bit of sense to me to say, "Okay, it's apostrophe-s if it's a singular, and s-apostrophe if it's a plural, but if it's a singular or collective or proper that ends in s, go ahead and spell it s-apostrophe even though it's not plural and even though you pronounce it like it's s-apostrophe-s." Plus, even those who use s-apostrophe for some singulars, collectives, and propers don't use it for others; there's often no consistency, just "whatever feels right at the time."
You expect sense here? In a written language that seemingly for no other reason than pure laziness drops letters and replaces them with apostrophes? Maybe if we put the "e" back in the genitive case it would be easier tio have a rule that seems to make sense.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 12, 2006 08:17PM

ftyuv
if the A's want their name to appear as the A's, you do it.
Not the point I was making, actually. Look at the jersey on the page. The team goes by both "A's" and "Athletics".

Jason Kendall's page would be an Athletic's website no matter how odd it is that the A's render their name with an apostrophe.

Posted by: ftyuv (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 12, 2006 08:39PM

ugarte
ftyuv
Not the point I was making, actually. Look at the jersey on the page. The team goes by both "A's" and "Athletics".

Jason Kendall's page would be an Athletic's website no matter how odd it is that the A's render their name with an apostrophe.

Hm, I don't see a jersey on that page. But point taken, and good catch. Btw, their apostrophe in the "in '06" of the top-left image is backwards.

To add another, unrelated pet peeve of prescriptivism (P3 as we call it), I really dislike when cashiers call out, "Can I help who's next?" Hmph.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: October 12, 2006 11:41PM

ugarte
ftyuv

I could swear that there was a convention (which I don't follow) of using an apostrophy to pluralize letters, as in "Mind your p's and q's." Using an apostrophe in the plural of the letter A prevents it from being mistaken for the capitalized form of the word "as".

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Jacob 03 (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 13, 2006 12:28AM

I could swear that there was a convention (which I don't follow) of using an apostrophy to pluralize letters, as in "Mind your p's and q's." Using an apostrophe in the plural of the letter A prevents it from being mistaken for the capitalized form of the word "as".

this convention did exist, and still prevails. if it has waned in recent years, it is probably due to backlash (i believe the aformentioned truss tome goes into this). the apostrophe after single letters presumably led to the placement of apostrophes with scores of abbreviations and acronyms where it had no place. people annoyed by this took a polar, minimalist apostrophe stance and eliminated the mark whenever possible in their own writing. one would think those willing to point out and harp on incorrect punctuation (...spelling...grammar...word choice...) would be able to react more moderately. as this thread (and all its forebears) has proven, however, perfect adherence to some style rules does not indicate an even competent embrace of the balance of them.

Date: October 13, 2006 09:33AM

Wow... the way you talk about it, you'd think there was blood running in the streets or something.

(Excuse me, "street's.";)

Seriously, though, I accept and follow the convention with single letters because of the potential for confusion, but I've never understood the reasoning behind using it with numbers - e.g., the 1990's - so I don't. Am I really the only moderate not taking a violent, reactionary stance on this?

- Steve Worona

Posted by: Jacob 03 (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 13, 2006 11:28AM

well, if what i wrote insinuated street violence, beeeej, then mea culpa. i should have been more specific that the real result was pedantic ramblings by those in the quasi-know on hockey message boards...unless you and whelan want to go duel over the convention.

Date: October 13, 2006 11:38AM

What, I'm not allowed to use hyperbole? B-]

Proud Member of the International League of Pedants:

[www.goats.com]

- Steve Worona

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: October 13, 2006 08:42PM

Jacob 03

this convention did exist, and still prevails. if it has waned in recent years, it is probably due to backlash (i believe the aformentioned truss tome goes into this). the apostrophe after single letters presumably led to the placement of apostrophes with scores of abbreviations and acronyms where it had no place. people annoyed by this took a polar, minimalist apostrophe stance and eliminated the mark whenever possible in their own writing. one would think those willing to point out and harp on incorrect punctuation (...spelling...grammar...word choice...) would be able to react more moderately. as this thread (and all its forebears) has proven, however, perfect adherence to some style rules does not indicate an even competent embrace of the balance of them.
To me the argument for using an apostrophe with a single letter follows to abbreviations. It states that this is where the random collection of letters ends, that the s is not one more letter in the abbreviation that should be read as an s.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: October 14, 2006 02:52PM

Jacob 03

The convention many of us use is the commonsense one which I believe evolves from AP Style: Use an apostrophe if there'd be confusion without or if it replaces characters. Thus:

1990s
'90s <-- though the Grey Lady New York Times uses 90's
p's and q's
Oakland A's
P's and Q's <-- probably but some would say the uppercase P is enough to distinguish but then again it might be in a series of consonants and syllables such as "How many A;s and B's did he get last semester?"
A'S and B'S <-- in an all capitals phrase

Apostrophes
Date: October 19, 2006 04:24PM

Law.com addresses this critical issue: [www.law.com]

Re: Apostrophes
Date: October 19, 2006 04:40PM

Lol. Well, I think too many Ss together looks bad, as do too many s's -- to say nothing of too many S's. That's why I omit the second. One particularly bad hole in the author's logic is the attempt to tie English spelling and pronunciation:

The surprisingly popular practice of omitting the final "s" in all s-ending words is ... completely illogical. Indeed, the use of an additional "s" accurately reflects proper pronunciation.

One word: ghoti. :-)

Plus, what if you want to pluralize "that's"? It's bad enough if you have to write that's', but it'd be really terrible if you'd have to endure that's's!

Date: October 19, 2006 05:28PM

ftyuv
Plus, what if you want to pluralize "that's"? It's bad enough if you have to write that's', but it'd be really terrible if you'd have to endure that's's!
I think you just avoid pluralizing words like "that's" that can't be pluralized in ordinary usage. If you insist on pluralizing verb contractions then you have to suffer the consequences.

Posted by: CKinsland (132.236.170.---)
Date: October 19, 2006 07:44PM

There is a "National Punctuation Day"

[www.nationalpunctuationday.com]

And, for the unaware, there is a song about the poor, misused apostrophe (lyrics at: [www.sentex.net]).

Anybody really interested can get the mp3 from me (I don't expect too many takers on this one).

Ck

Posted by: Beeeej (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: October 19, 2006 10:32PM

ftyuv

Pluralize "that's"? Under what circumstances could you possibly pluralize a noun-verb contraction, other than changing it to "those're"?

- Steve Worona

Date: October 19, 2006 10:45PM

Beeeej
ftyuv

Pluralize "that's"? Under what circumstances could you possibly pluralize a noun-verb contraction, other than changing it to "those're"?

I dunno, but at least with my system you have the flexibility to do so, should the mood strike you.

Date: October 19, 2006 10:50PM

ftyuv
Beeeej
ftyuv

I dunno, but at least with my system you have the flexibility to do so, should the mood strike you.

You have the flexibility to pluralize "that's" to "those're" in the current, correct system, anytime any mood strikes you. Are we talking about the same thing when we use the word "pluralize," or are you thinking "make into a possessive" and not quite putting it into words properly?

- Steve Worona

Date: October 19, 2006 11:11PM

Beeeej
ftyuv
Beeeej
ftyuv

You have the flexibility to pluralize "that's" to "those're" in the current, correct system, anytime any mood strikes you. Are we talking about the same thing when we use the word "pluralize," or are you thinking "make into a possessive" and not quite putting it into words properly?

I was making a joke. Sheesh. Y'all are too literal.

Date: October 19, 2006 11:12PM

ftyuv
Beeeej
ftyuv
Beeeej
ftyuv

Y'all apparently aren't funny enough.

- Steve Worona

Date: October 19, 2006 11:17PM

Beeeej
ftyuv
Beeeej
ftyuv
Beeeej
ftyuv

Touche. But I'd rather be incapable of resisting a bad joke than incapable of recognizing one :)

Date: October 19, 2006 11:27PM

ftyuv
Beeeej
ftyuv
Beeeej
ftyuv
Beeeej
ftyuv

Touche. But I'd rather be incapable of resisting a bad joke than incapable of recognizing one :)

You apparently have your wish! :-)

- Steve Worona

Date: October 19, 2006 11:35PM

Beeeej
ftyuv
Beeeej
ftyuv
Beeeej
ftyuv
Beeeej
ftyuv

You apparently have your wish! :-)

And not just that, but deeply nested quote tags, which are just about my favorite thing on online chat boards. I was on one once where the admins installed a "cool" mod to cut out all but the most recent few, and it made threads so much less fun.

Posted by: Liz '05 (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: October 19, 2006 11:39PM

Beeeej
ftyuv

That'ss/That's'/That's's apparently induce a lot of grammatical confusion.

The only likely scenario I can think of is a discussion of the noun-verb contraction itself. I'd probably simplify the sentence by using a singular "that's" as the subject, though, use italics or quotation marks for it to lessen confusion, and adjust the subject-verb agreement accordingly.

Date: October 19, 2006 11:48PM

Liz '05

See, now I have to assume you're being serious.

When have you ever seen "that'ss" "that's'" or "that's's"?!

- Steve Worona

Date: October 20, 2006 12:10AM

Beeeej
Liz '05

I've never seen it, but I can conceive of a situation where I'd write about it. But then again, I'm a linguistics dork. I just wanted to throw out a possible situation where you'd pluralize "that's".

Date: October 20, 2006 12:11AM

Liz '05
Beeeej
Liz '05

I've never seen it, but I can conceive of a situation where I'd write about it. But then again, I'm a linguistics dork. I just wanted to throw out a possible situation where you'd pluralize "that's".

Far as I've seen, you still haven't yet. :-) Can you give an actual example?

- Steve Worona

Date: October 20, 2006 12:54AM

Liz '05
Beeeej
Liz '05

I was taught to always quote a word when meaning the word itself and not its meaning. Multiple instances of "that's" would be "that's"s. Not that thats's much easier to read :)

Posted by: Lauren '06 (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: October 20, 2006 12:54AM

Somehow I feel like people are trying to contract "that's his" or something into "that's's" and just explaining it badly. I can't think of any other use for the made-up double apostrophe word that would make any kind of sense.

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: October 20, 2006 01:39AM

Beeeej
Liz '05
How many that's's can I include in a sinale sentence? I doubt I could write a grammatically correct, non-run-on sentence with more than two that's but I'm not sure. "That's" is such a fun contraction that I'd like to see as many as possible in my writing.

Silly meta-example, but one that a linguistics dork might enjoy. :-D

Date: October 20, 2006 02:10AM

KeithK
Beeeej
Liz '05
How many that's's can I include in a sinale sentence? I doubt I could write a grammatically correct, non-run-on sentence with more than two that's but I'm not sure. "That's" is such a fun contraction that I'd like to see as many as possible in my writing.

Indeed :-)

Posted by: Lauren '06 (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: October 20, 2006 08:55AM

KeithK
Beeeej
Liz '05

I think technically you'd want to write,

How many "that's"s can I include in a single sentence?

/spoilsport

Date: October 20, 2006 09:55AM

ftyuv
Liz '05
Beeeej
Liz '05

I was taught to always quote a word when meaning the word itself and not its meaning. Multiple instances of "that's" would be "that's"s. Not that thats's much easier to read :)

Bingo. Even if you don't follow that incredibly sensible rule, though, I can't imagine why you'd pluralize "that's" any other way besides "that'ses." Adding apostrophe-s to make something plural should be avoided strenuously unless absolutely necessary for clarity, and "that's's" and "clarity" don't belong in the same sentence.

Except that one. :-)

- Steve Worona

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: October 20, 2006 10:25AM

OH MY GOD SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP PLEASE JUST LET THIS DISCUSSION END

Posted by: ugarte (160.254.20.---)
Date: October 20, 2006 11:21AM

jmh30
OH MY GOD SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP PLEASE JUST LET THIS DISCUSSION END
That's a lot of shut up's.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: October 20, 2006 02:31PM

bang

Date: October 20, 2006 08:05PM

Step 1: In the message list page, move your cursor over this thread's title, which is a hyperlink.
Step 2: Don't effin' click.

Posted by: French Rage (---.packetdesign.com)
Date: October 20, 2006 08:09PM

ftyuv
Step 1: In the message list page, move your cursor over this thread's title, which is a hyperlink.

1. In the forum list page, move over hyperlink called "John Spencer is Dead".
2. Place insipid grammer discussion there.

Date: October 20, 2006 08:17PM

French Rage
ftyuv

1. In the forum list page, move over hyperlink called "John Spencer is Dead".
2. Place insipid grammar discussion there.

The thread started out appropriately placed and then drifted. That's not too uncommon, especially give that it's the off-season. I'd have no problem if the thread were moved.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login