Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Message from the Ticket Office

Posted by Beeeej 
Message from the Ticket Office
Posted by: Beeeej (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: October 09, 2006 06:12PM

Dear hockey season ticket holder,

The Athletic Ticket Office will begin mailing season ice hockey tickets today. Mailings will be sent alphabetically so don't become overly worried if your friends have received tickets and you have not (if your last name begins with a letter significantly later in the alphabet). Our goal is to have all tickets mailed by this Thursday so they will be received by all ticket holders sometime early next week.

If you do not receive your tickets by next Tuesday afternoon please contact the ticket office so we can track their whereabouts. If you have requested that your tickets be held at will call please call to ensure the tickets are ready to be picked up before you visit the office.

Since a fair portion of season ticket holders do not use email please pass this message on to any ice hockey ticket holder you may be acquainted with.

Note: a change has been made to this season's home schedule.

The home game vs. Robert Morris has been set for THURSDAY, Oct. 26 at 7 p.m. It had been originally scheduled for Friday, Oct. 27.

Finally, it looks most likely that all home games will be played at Lynah Rink. Please check regularly on CornellBigRed.com for updates regarding the status of Lynah Rink and the men's ice hockey schedule. I will also send an email when the opening of Lynah is official.

Thanks for your patience in this year of change for Lynah and its affect on men's ice hockey ticket holders,

Gene M. Nighman '81

p.s. The Red & White game is at 7:30 p.m. this Friday evening. The CHA will be accepting donations at the door.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Re: Message from the Ticket Office
Posted by: Free11Skier (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: October 10, 2006 06:06AM

Hrrm, I got this email even though I'm on Co-op and couldn't get tickets. Thanks for rubbing it in Athletics. :`(

MAE '08

Posted by: L-J (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: October 10, 2006 11:25AM

Hmmm... maybe they're even sending out the e-mail in alphabetical order, mine still hasn't arrived yet. But they did finally cash my check last Tuesday.

L-J

Posted by: Cactus12 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 10, 2006 12:26PM

Athletics is a mess. They sent that email twice to all the students with line numbers as well. Then they sent a correction email saying to ignore the initial messages.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: October 10, 2006 01:53PM

I've got the email, and I'm a W.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: jaybert (---.co.us.ibm.com)
Date: October 10, 2006 03:37PM

Cactus12
Athletics is a mess. They sent that email twice to all the students with line numbers as well. Then they sent a correction email saying to ignore the initial messages.

pfft...at least you had a line #. I am an alumni who didnt get a line # obviously, nor do I have season tickets.

Posted by: ftyuv (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 11, 2006 01:42AM

GrammarCop(tm) says:
an alumnus

Date: October 11, 2006 04:23AM

ftyuv
GrammarCop(tm) says:
an alumnus

Latin grammar cop, no less. Here's a woman for you:

[tomatonation.com]

:-D

Posted by: ftyuv (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 11, 2006 07:59AM

That's a sic page (<-- pun not typo). I would disagree with "I could care less" being wrong, though. I think it's valid to throw it in with the corpus of sarcastic idioms, a la "yeah, right" to mean "no way."

I would like to see a rain of terror. The question-begging cartoon was great!

Posted by: Lauren '06 (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: October 11, 2006 09:07AM

ftyuv
That's a sic page (<-- pun not typo). I would disagree with "I could care less" being wrong, though. I think it's valid to throw it in with the corpus of sarcastic idioms, a la "yeah, right" to mean "no way."

I think it's safe to say that when people use "I could care less," they're not doing it sarcastically, they're doing it incorrectly.

Posted by: Liz '05 (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: October 11, 2006 09:52AM

ftyuv

The rein/reign distiction drives me nuts when I see it misused, especially when it should've been caught by the newspaper editor.

My other peeves are the misuse of "for all intents and purposes," which makes sense, while "intensive purposes" usually doesn't, and the non-verb "to orientate." It's being derived from "orientation," but guys, there's already a verb form of that noun, and it's "to orient."

She caught them all :)

Date: October 11, 2006 11:09AM

I have a few she didn't get to:

"wave off", not "waive off" (Note: I am deliberately employing a different comma usage from the standard one. I believe my usage is consistent.)

"That car passed me," not "That car passed me up." (The latter means the car declined an opportunity to do something to you.)

I think "orientate" might actually have become correct usage in the UK, BTW. But then they pronounce the "h" in "herb", so what do they know.

Posted by: ftyuv (---.bstnma.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 11, 2006 11:32AM

Section A Banshee
ftyuv

I think it's safe to say that when people use "I could care less," they're not doing it sarcastically, they're doing it incorrectly.

I bet lots of people don't get the irony of cheering "Safety school!" against Harvard, either. Doesn't mean that those of us who do get it can't use it :)

I like what that woman said in her first article -- that she's allowed to break the rules she sets forth, cause she knows them pat. I'm fine with people taking liberty with language, as long as they know they're doing it.

Posted by: RichH (216.195.201.---)
Date: October 11, 2006 11:36AM

jtwcornell91
I think "orientate" might actually have become correct usage in the UK, BTW. But then they pronounce the "h" in "herb", so what do they know.

Why can't the English teach their children how to speak?

I think there are enough fellow grammar nerds here to have a grammar forum. :-) I still get caught in tricky spelling traps now and then, and since I'm an engineer, I lost time in keeping up with my grammar education. Ever since I was reminded about the proper use of the subjunctive mood (which blew my mind), I've been delving deeper and deeper into the world of grammar geekery. I still have a lot to learn (or re-learn).

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: October 11, 2006 11:39AM

You should also read Eats, Shoots & Leaves by Lynne Truss.

[eatsshootsandleaves.com]

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: October 11, 2006 11:42AM

Liz '05
The rein/reign distiction drives me nuts when I see it misused, especially when it should've been caught by the newspaper editor.

I saw this in a graphic on a major news network just yesterday:
"...U.N. attempts to reign in North Korea"

So they are trying to rule NK... or are they tring to rein them in?

Date: October 11, 2006 11:44AM

ftyuv
Section A Banshee
ftyuv

I bet lots of people don't get the irony of cheering "Safety school!" against Harvard, either. Doesn't mean that those of us who do get it can't use it :)

I like what that woman said in her first article -- that she's allowed to break the rules she sets forth, cause she knows them pat. I'm fine with people taking liberty with language, as long as they know they're doing it.
In that case, if every person I hear say "I could care less" from now until the end of my life doesn't follow up immediately with a "don't worry, I know better" disclaimer in tone or comment, I will happily go on thinking they are idiots. That may be your reasoning, but I can't believe that the vast majority of people misusing that phrase do it with full knowledge. I can't be alone in thinking this, can I?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2006 11:49AM by Section A Banshee.

Posted by: ugarte (160.254.20.---)
Date: October 11, 2006 12:10PM

jtwcornell91
"wave off", not "waive off" (Note: I am deliberately employing a different comma usage from the standard one. I believe my usage is consistent.)
IIRC, this is the correct form in UK English but incorrect in standard American English. I agree with you that the Brits have the better of the argument.

And since you are living in Europe, stick with the rules of the closest English speaking country.

Date: October 11, 2006 12:28PM

Section A Banshee
ftyuv
Section A Banshee
ftyuv

In that case, if every person I hear say "I could care less" from now until the end of my life doesn't follow up immediately with a "don't worry, I know better" disclaimer in tone or comment, I will happily go on thinking they are idiots. That may be your reasoning, but I can't believe that the vast majority of people misusing that phrase do it with full knowledge. I can't be alone in thinking this, can I?

Well I certainly see your point. And if I should ever use that phrase without following it up, and you take it to mean that I'm an idiot -- well, I could care less :)

It does raise an interesting point, though. If it is sarcastic, presumably the first person to use it realized what they were saying (note my conscious decision to help push forward "they" as a gender-neutral singular pronoun). Then it reached some sort of idiomatic (idiotmatic?) critical mass, such that in essence people were using a sarcastic phrase without realizing it. At that point, certainly they've lost control of the expression -- but are they ignorant for not knowing the correct expression (as you assert) or for not knowing the true meaning behind the [corrent] expression they're using (as I assert)?

Stay tuned for more... Tales Of Interest!

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: October 11, 2006 12:30PM

[q]I can't be alone in thinking this, can I?[/q]Nope. I'm with ya.

Date: October 11, 2006 12:32PM

Chris '03
"...U.N. attempts to reign in North Korea"
Take off the prep phrase and you've got enough of a challenge for them as it is rolleyes

Eats, Shoots & Leaves
Date: October 11, 2006 12:42PM

Chris '03
You should also read Eats, Shoots & Leaves by Lynne Truss.

[eatsshootsandleaves.com]

The equivalent book in German is called Der Dativ ist dem Genitiv sein Tod, BTW.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2006 04:38PM by jtwcornell91.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 11, 2006 01:09PM

Section A Banshee

To be annoying, I'll say that one can safely use both phrases without explanation. For example:

I couldn't care less about McKee's early departure.

and:

I could care less about McKee's early departure.

As is clear from the italics, it's a matter of emphasis. I would expect most people to follow up the latter with a hearty "Really, I could care less, but I'm a big nerd," but I'd let it slide with those I knew were on the up and up.

Date: October 11, 2006 01:22PM

ftyuv
Section A Banshee

Well I certainly see your point. And if I should ever use that phrase without following it up, and you take it to mean that I'm an idiot -- well, I could care less :)
You have explained yourself, therefore I don't think you're an idiot. :-}

It does raise an interesting point, though. If it is sarcastic, presumably the first person to use it realized what they were saying (note my conscious decision to help push forward "they" as a gender-neutral singular pronoun).
Despite being improper, the "they" thing has actually never bothered me. I guess because it's not as word-for-word obvious as "could care less" ought to be.

Then it reached some sort of idiomatic (idiotmatic?) critical mass, such that in essence people were using a sarcastic phrase without realizing it. At that point, certainly they've lost control of the expression -- but are they ignorant for not knowing the correct expression (as you assert) or for not knowing the true meaning behind the [corrent] expression they're using (as I assert)?

Stay tuned for more... Tales Of Interest!
Ockham's Razor would dictate "my" explanation is the right one, but I don't have any linguistic data other than my dismal view of the general intelligence to back that up. :-D

Date: October 11, 2006 01:25PM

Scersk '97
Section A Banshee

To be annoying, I'll say that one can safely use both phrases without explanation. For example:

I couldn't care less about McKee's early departure.

and:

I could care less about McKee's early departure.

As is clear from the italics, it's a matter of emphasis. I would expect most people to follow up the latter with a hearty "Really, I could care less, but I'm a big nerd," but I'd let it slide with those I knew were on the up and up.
Okay, but you made my point. You used emphasis to describe your intent. I've never heard that emphasis used in common parlance when the phrase is used--in my opinion--incorrectly.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 11, 2006 05:08PM

Section A Banshee
Scersk '97
Section A Banshee
... disclaimer in tone or comment...

To be annoying...

[and I was--snip]
Okay, but you made my point. You used emphasis to describe your intent. I've never heard that emphasis used in common parlance when the phrase is used--in my opinion--incorrectly.

My reading comprehension just kicked in: sorry for the belaboring.

Yeah, I've only heard those emphases used by those already "in the know."

Posted by: Avash (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: October 13, 2006 12:48PM

ftyuv
That's a sic page (<-- pun not typo).

[www.onehorseshy.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login