Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Alumni in the Pros -- September 2006

Posted by cbuckser 
Alumni in the Pros -- September 2006
Posted by: cbuckser (134.186.177.---)
Date: September 13, 2006 02:02PM

Mike Iggulden impressed the Sharks' coaching staff at the rookie tournament. The following story on the SHarks' web site containas quotes from Igulden and his AHL coach:
[www.sjsharks.com]

McCutcheon promoted
Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: September 13, 2006 09:38PM

The Sabres have promoted Brian McCutcheon from assistant chead coach to associate head coach. [www.sabres.com]

Re: Alumni in the Pros -- September 2006
Posted by: Rita (---.agry.purdue.edu)
Date: September 14, 2006 09:00AM

Gleed and OB took part in the Canadiens Rookie Tourney v. the Toronto rookies. Gleed had a 1 G and 1A in the 4 game tourney. PIMs were not noted, so we don't know if OB made the score sheet that way ;-).

[www.canadiens.com]

Both Gleed and O'Byrne have been invited to Montreal's training camp which will get underway shortly (9/14/06 at 9:30 am).

[www.canadiens.com]

Posted by: Liz '05 (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: September 14, 2006 09:19AM

Apparently both got in some penalty trouble...along with everyone else.
[hfboards.com]

Mike Knoepfli
Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: September 16, 2006 06:26AM

According to [www.sportmobile24.ch] Mike Knoepfli got his professional debut in Geneva's 4-1 upset (:-() of Bern. He must have got at least some ice time, since his statistics at [www.geneva-hockey.ch] show him as -1 (which means he was on the ice for Bern's only goal and none of Geneva's :-/). He did dress for all 14 exhibition games and had 5 goals and 1 assist, according to [www.geneva-hockey.ch]

His player profile is at [www.geneva-hockey.ch]

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: profudge (---.ct.us.ibm.com)
Date: September 18, 2006 02:27PM

Last night Florida lost to Calgary 3-1, Eddie B. let in all of the goals and 'PELLETIER' was not scored on.

LeNeveu played the first period of Phoenix vs Oilers (0 - 5) and gave up one goal. Game was played in Winnipeg in front of sellout 15,000+.

[Q]In a penalty-filled first period, Stoll turned a five-on-three into a 1-0 lead when he rang a point shot from off the post and by David LeNeveu.
Philippe Sauve took over for LeNeveu in the second and was on the hook for Stoll's second goal[/Q]
Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2006 03:34AM by jtwcornell91.

Posted by: calgARI '07 (---.ilr.cornell.edu)
Date: September 18, 2006 02:35PM

profudge
Last night Florida lost to Vancover 3-1, Eddie B. let in all of the goals and Peltier was not scored on.

LeNeveu played the first period of Phoenix vs Oilers (0 - 5) and gave up one goal. Game was played in Winipeg in front of sellout 15,000+.

[Q]In a penalty-filled first period, Stoll turned a five-on-three into a 1-0 lead when he rang a point shot from off the post and by David LeNeveu.
Philippe Sauve took over for LeNeveu in the second and was on the hook for Stoll's second goal[/Q]

Florida lost to Calgary!
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2006 03:34AM by jtwcornell91.

Posted by: profudge (---.ct.us.ibm.com)
Date: September 18, 2006 03:05PM

Oops my bad - corrected
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2006 03:35AM by jtwcornell91.

Ryan O'Byrne and Jon Gleed to play in Canadiens preseason game
Posted by: bigred06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 18, 2006 06:08PM

Ryan O'Byrne and Jon Gleed will be in the line up tonight when the Montreal Canadiens take on the Boston Bruins in their first preseason game tonight.

[www.tsn.ca]

Posted by: Steve M (---.fluor.com)
Date: September 18, 2006 08:18PM

Not very good news on Shane Hynes. The Ducks sent him back to Portland after Saturday's training camp session. His knee injury, that limited him to only 12 games with the Portland Pirates last year, is apparently still bothering him.

Edit: Actually he didn't even skate at training camp.
"Right wing Shane Hynes was the lone player among the 51 in camp who did not skate. Hynes is recovering from a knee injury that limited him to 12 games last season with minor league Portland."

[www.latimes.com]

I wish him the best on an eventual full recovery.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2006 08:37PM by Steve M.

Posted by: calgARI '07 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 18, 2006 09:54PM

Bâby got sent down today.

Re: Ryan O'Byrne and Jon Gleed to play in Canadiens preseason game
Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 18, 2006 10:56PM

bigred06
Ryan O'Byrne and Jon Gleed will be in the line up tonight when the Montreal Canadiens take on the Boston Bruins in their first preseason game tonight.

[www.tsn.ca]
Tomorrow night (Tuesday), actually. The article says O'B will be playing with Mike Komisarek - that's some serious size right there.

Posted by: DL (59.40.53.---)
Date: September 19, 2006 01:44PM

Though they lost, it's still just preseason and nice to see Lenny handle his ice time better than Sauve, whom the coyotes website seems to have more to talk about.

Posted by: DL (59.40.53.---)
Date: September 19, 2006 01:57PM

And of course even better is that PELLETIER outshone Eagle Eddy in the opposite situation (2nd 'half').

Vesce
Posted by: jkahn (216.146.73.---)
Date: September 19, 2006 02:58PM

Ottawa plays Pittsburgh tonight at 6:30 Eastern. The Sens have split up their training camp roster into two groups, and Group 1 which includes Ryan Vesce will be suited up tonight (Charlie Cook is on the Group 2 squad). However, Group 1 has 15 forwards listed on the Sens' website, so there's no guarantee that Ryan will suit up. The game is on Directv Channel 628 tonight, but you probably need NHL CenterIce to avoid the blackout, unless they are giving some preseason games away to those who have the SportsPack.
[www2.ottawasenators.com]

TSN article about O'Byrne and Gleed
Date: September 19, 2006 05:59PM

[www.tsn.ca]

Re: TSN article about O'Byrne and Gleed
Date: September 19, 2006 06:14PM

The article had some very good things to say about Cornell and our alumni. I do like that they mentioned how Gleed stayed and got his degree. With the players leaving early these past few years, it is nice to point out why staying 4 years can be beneficial.

Re: Vesce
Posted by: jkahn (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: September 19, 2006 07:43PM

jkahn
Ottawa plays Pittsburgh tonight at 6:30 Eastern..... The game is on Directv Channel 628 tonight, but you probably need NHL CenterIce to avoid the blackout, unless they are giving some preseason games away to those who have the SportsPack.
Well, even with the SportsPack and CenterIce, I'm blacked out. Just spent 50 minutes on the phone with Directv trying to get an explanation. They have no f____ clue. Spoke with two different people. First one is telling me the game is blacked out at the sponsors' request. I'm sure the advertisers in Pittsburgh have a real big problem if someone in Chicago happens to see their commercials. After being transferred to someone who supposedly knows more, the most amusing part of the conversation goes:
her: and who is Pittsbrgh playing
me: Ottawa
her: can you spell that
me: o-t-t-a-w-a
her: and what city is Ottawa from?
--I'll call the NHL tomorrow and see if they can tell me why I couldn't see the game.

Posted by: Bio '04 (---.rh.psu.edu)
Date: September 19, 2006 07:46PM

I just turned on the Sens/Pens game and although I haven't seen Vesce yet (#47) I have heard another familiar name mentioned a lot: Noah Welch. The announcers really seem to love him. yark

Posted by: French Rage (---.packetdesign.com)
Date: September 19, 2006 08:17PM

Bio '04
I just turned on the Sens/Pens game and although I haven't seen Vesce yet (#47) I have heard another familiar name mentioned a lot: Noah Welch. The announcers really seem to love him. yark

This is his season. And by "his season", I mean "the season he doesn't score an own goal".

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Re: Ryan O'Byrne and Jon Gleed to play in Canadiens preseason game
Posted by: jkahn (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: September 19, 2006 11:16PM

O'B and Gleed were each -1 in a 5-2 loss to the Bruins tonight. O'Byrne had 1 giveaway and 3 blocked shots, and Gleed had 2 takeaways, 2 giveaways and 2 blocked shots according to the stats at NHL.com
[www.nhl.com]
They each also had one 2 minute penalty.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2006 11:18PM by jkahn.

Article on McKee
Posted by: redhair34 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: September 20, 2006 01:12AM

Re: Article on McKee
Posted by: DL (58.61.2.---)
Date: September 20, 2006 01:53AM

redhair34
http://sports.mainetoday.com/pirates/stories/060919piratesfeatu.html
uhoh
"I cannot say he is catching our eye," Allaire said.

Date: September 20, 2006 08:09AM

Well, if McKee ends up in Augusta, at the very least, I'll get to see him in Pensacola. Although I'd be disappointed by everything else in the situation, I'd be happy about getting to see Cornellians play.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: September 20, 2006 06:26PM

Darren Leung
redhair34
http://sports.mainetoday.com/pirates/stories/060919piratesfeatu.html
uhoh
"I cannot say he is catching our eye," Allaire said.
Fucking Quebecois. :-(

nut

Posted by: JDeafv (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: September 20, 2006 07:47PM

My Dad and sister went to the Capitals training camp two days ago, so this report is second hand, but they said Pokulok looked good. He had a few solid body checks knocking guys down in the process. Either way, he was in Ashburn practicing with the Caps, wearing #34, but was assigned [www.hersheypa.com] to Hershey and is expected in Hershey's camp Friday 9/22.

From the HF Caps Board:

[Q] Players not named Ovechkin that 'stood out' to me on the positive side were Pothier, Eminger, Sutherby and Pokulok. I liked what I saw from the big guy - nice one-on-one deke bringing the puck out of the defensive zone, good mobility, and a nice outlet pass. [/Q]

[Q] - Pokulok indeed plays with some aggression. He planted Fehr in the corner one and ran over Beech as well. Louis started going after him late in the scrimmage. [/Q]
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2006 10:22PM by JDeafv.

Posted by: cbuckser (134.186.177.---)
Date: September 21, 2006 01:14PM

In the Sharks' training camp, Doug Murray has been paired with Scott Hannan. He started out camp with a place in the top six. He was not paired with Hannan in last night's exhibition game, at which Doug was a -2. Rob Davison, Jim Fahey, and Scott Ferguson are Doug's competition for a spot in the regular lineup. At Sunday's intraquad scrimmage, I spoke to someone who felt that Doug had improved his skating over the summer. I couldn't tell a difference.

Mike, Iggulden has continued to impress people. He held his own at the Sunday scrimmage. Until last night's exhibition game, he has skated with Ryan Clowe and Mark Smith, who are expected to be the Sharks' 13th and 14th forwards. He is just one of four Sharks who have played in both exhibition games; his +/- was even for both exhibition games. It wouldn't suprise me if Mike earns a cup of coffee with the Sharlks this season as an injury replacement. He also got a brief write-up in today's San Jose Mercury News. [www.mercurynews.com]

Date: September 21, 2006 01:15PM

Jon Gleed got sent down to Hamilton today.

[www.canadiens.com]

Sounds like Ryan O'Byrne is 1 of the 38 still in Montreal's training camp.

Posted by: JordanCS (---.insight.res.rr.com)
Date: September 22, 2006 11:09PM

LeNeveu got hammered tonight, playing half the game, and allowing 3 goals on 9 shots. Ouch.

On the positive side, I got to see my first live hockey game in a year and a half tonight, after living in Germany for 3.5 years (seeing one game in the DEL while over there). I swung by Nationwide Arena to see the BlueJackets play the Blackhawks. Unfortunately the CBJ lost, but it was great to smell the ice again. :) Too bad I almost certainly won't get to see the Red this year. :(
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2006 11:13PM by JordanCS.

Posted by: redice (---.sub-75-195-246.myvzw.com)
Date: September 23, 2006 09:53AM

Iggy has been sent down to the AHL. Too bad. Hopefully, he'll be back up.

Cook and Vesce
Date: September 26, 2006 10:30AM

Ottawa has assigned Charlie Cook and Ryan Vesce to Binghamton.
[www2.ottawasenators.com]

Date: September 26, 2006 05:46PM

Tough day for the Cornell guys - Vesce, Cook, Moulson, McKee all sent down.

Date: September 26, 2006 09:26PM

O'Byrne got into a fight tonight

Posted by: cth95 (---.a-315.westelcom.com)
Date: September 26, 2006 10:53PM

Did he win?

Posted by: redhair34 (---.public.cornell.edu)
Date: September 27, 2006 12:22PM

calgARI '07

O'Byrne is still with the Habs after last night's game. There were reports of additional cuts today in Montreal, but it looks like he made it through unscathed. I can't imagine he will be able to get the 6th spot and they'll likely want him to skate everyday to further his development (which would rule him out the 7th spot). You never know, but I'm guessing he'll spend most if not all of the season in Hamilton to acclimate to the professional game.

Date: September 27, 2006 12:33PM

redhair34
calgARI '07

O'Byrne is still with the Habs after last night's game. There were reports of additional cuts today in Montreal, but it looks like he made it through unscathed. I can't imagine he will be able to get the 6th spot and they'll likely want him to skate everyday to further his development (which would rule him out the 7th spot). You never know, but I'm guessing he'll spend most if not all of the season in Hamilton to acclimate to the professional game.

Certainly an interesting situation over in Montreal. Dandelault, Markov, Rivet, Souray, Bouillon, Komisarek are all locks. Streit does not necessarily have a spot in the lineup sewn up. He was their 7th Dman last year and also captained the Swiss Olympic team. Benoit, O'Byrne, and Jancevski are all still in camp though. These guys could be giving Streit a run for the 7th spot, but as you said, it would be bad for his development to sit in the press box. Still, it says a lot about what they think of him if he is still there. O'Byrne will be in the NHL within a couple years.

Date: September 27, 2006 09:17PM

Sheldon Souray was injured so there is another d spot for opening night. I think the habs will have a hard time sending OB down in these circumstances.

Posted by: mgl11 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: September 27, 2006 11:57PM

Pegoraro is in AHL camp with Hamilton...and picked up the 2nd star (1g and 1a) in tonight's preseason game. Don't know if he'll stick with Hamilton or get sent to Cincinnati, but if he stays it would probably mean three Cornell guys with the Bulldogs.

[www.hamiltonbulldogs.com]

Date: September 28, 2006 12:36AM

mgl11
Pegoraro is in AHL camp with Hamilton...and picked up the 2nd star (1g and 1a) in tonight's preseason game. Don't know if he'll stick with Hamilton or get sent to Cincinnati, but if he stays it would probably mean three Cornell guys with the Bulldogs.

From that article, it looks like Hyphen did really well too (in a 6-5 game, he was the only goalie who let in less than 5 goals). Given that Yann Danis got reassigned there today as well, Hamilton seems to be the place to go to watch ECAC alumni.

Posted by: Bio '04 (128.118.170.---)
Date: September 28, 2006 10:35AM

There's a Phoenix Coyotes season preview online at NHL.com, with not the best mention of LeNeveu:

[Q]Phoenix's defense is better than last season, so look for Joseph's numbers to improve. The position has been made more competitive with the additions of Morrison and Sauve. The latter didn't do well in his late-season audition, but it's possible the conditions weren't right, getting a chance when all was lost. LeNeveu didn't shine in his opportunities last season, perhaps for similar reasons. Morrison was spectacular at times, unreliable at others. The three contenders for the backup position are at an age where another bad impression could foreclose their hopes to be NHL starters. Expect Gretzky to look for the hot hand if Joseph doesn't meet expectations.[/Q]

[www.nhl.com]

Posted by: RichH (216.195.201.---)
Date: September 28, 2006 01:41PM

Since other ECAC alumni are mentioned here, I thoguht I'd mention that there was an article about former Yale goaltender Alex Westlund in today's Hartford Courant. He's trying to make the AHL Wolf Pack...his 14th pro team.

[www.courant.com]

Date: September 28, 2006 03:24PM

Montreal claimed Patrick Traverse off waivers today so O'Byrne will be headed to Hamilton at least to start the season.

Posted by: kaaren (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 28, 2006 07:27PM

O'Byrne in the lineup tonight for Montreal against Ottawa. You can listen to the game live at www.cjad.com. The pregame show is on now and the game starts at 7:30.

Date: September 28, 2006 07:35PM

kaaren
O'Byrne in the lineup tonight for Montreal against Ottawa. You can listen to the game live at www.cjad.com. The pregame show is on now and the game starts at 7:30.

Thank you!:-)

Posted by: kaaren (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 28, 2006 07:44PM

Announcer just stated that "O'Byrne is a healthy scratch tonight" which would indicate that he indeed will be in Hamilton sooner rather than later. :-/

Date: September 28, 2006 08:00PM

kaaren
Announcer just stated that "O'Byrne is a healthy scratch tonight" which would indicate that he indeed will be in Hamilton sooner rather than later. :-/

Well since it looks like a "Cornell Club" of Hamilton, Ontario is forming, here is the link for the audio feeds of their games:

In Bulldog roster moves, the Hyphen was released and will report to the Cinncinati Cyclones (ECHL).

Also the Bulldogs will be playing a pre-season game in Syracuse tomorrow night. So if any of you need a hockey fix, game time is 7:30.

Date: September 29, 2006 02:00PM

RichH
Since other ECAC alumni are mentioned here, I thoguht I'd mention that there was an article about former Yale goaltender Alex Westlund in today's Hartford Courant. He's trying to make the AHL Wolf Pack...his 14th pro team.

[www.courant.com]
God, that guy used to KILL us.

Date: September 29, 2006 04:30PM

Speaking of Yale, Jeff Hamilton has made the Chicago Blackhawks and was signed to a contract today.

Date: September 29, 2006 05:34PM

O'Byrne along with the other two defensemen he was competing with before Traverse was claimed - Jancevski and Beniot - were all sent down today. Last cut isn't bad for a guy right out of college.

Date: October 01, 2006 01:14PM

LeNeveu was sent down today. Pretty surprising.

Date: October 01, 2006 02:24PM

calgARI '07

That's too bad. I could be off base, but I was thinking even before the start of the preseason that this is a make it or break it season for LeNeveu and Murray (who according to Shark fans over at the hf boards has had a pretty miserable preseason). It's a shame they haven't exactly impressed their respective clubs.

Date: October 01, 2006 02:40PM

redhair34
calgARI '07

That's too bad. I could be off base, but I was thinking even before the start of the preseason that this is a make it or break it season for LeNeveu and Murray (who according to Shark fans over at the hf boards has had a pretty miserable preseason). It's a shame they haven't exactly impressed their respective clubs.

I have heard rumors that San Jose is looking for a defenseman. They will get one when they move one of their goalies. Until then, Murray has a spot in the lineup.

Date: October 01, 2006 10:52PM

The Sharks have acquired Vladamir Malakhov which is going to push Murray down a bit.

Date: October 02, 2006 10:21AM

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.rbccm.com)
Date: October 02, 2006 01:14PM

Malakhov is toast I've heard - knees are shot. I don't even think he's in the U.S.

Date: October 02, 2006 01:54PM

Surprised to see that Noah Welch was sent down by Pittsburgh. Was sure he'd make the team and actually thought he would crack the top four.

Posted by: RichH (216.195.201.---)
Date: October 02, 2006 02:38PM

Cut by the Hartford Wolf Pack (AHL): Dan Murphy (Harvard), Mike Ouellette (Dartmouth), and Alex Westlund (Yale). Ouellette and Westlund were assigned to Charlotte (ECHL).

The only recognizable (by me) names still on the roster are Chirs Holt (UNO), Al Montoya (Mich), and Hugh Jessiman (Dartmouth).

*ducks*

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: October 02, 2006 03:15PM

RatushnyFan
Malakhov is toast I've heard - knees are shot. I don't even think he's in the U.S.
He had been suspended by the Devils for "abandoning the team" when he refused to take an assingment to the minors. All indications are that the Devils were just looking for a guaranteed way to get his salary out of their cap numbers and that he won't play in SJ this year (may play in Russia). So the deal leaves SJ with only 7 defenseman on their roster.

Date: October 02, 2006 03:43PM

mgl11

It looks like Pegoraro was sent to the Texas Wildcatters of the ECHL

[hfboards.com]

Date: October 02, 2006 04:01PM

For what it's worth, other former collegians on the Wolfpack include Lee Falardeau (Michigan State), Marvin Degon (UMass), Mike Hoffman (UConn), Greg Moore (Maine), Corey Potter (Michigan State), and Jake Taylor (Minnesota).

(Hey, cool, I actually learned something from reading Hockeysfuture.)

Posted by: pfibiger (---.madcitybroadband.com)
Date: October 02, 2006 09:00PM

Couple articles:

On Moulson joining the Monarchs:

[www.unionleader.com]

I had totally forgotten who is now coaching the Monarchs.

On Hynes coming back from his knee injury:

[sports.mainetoday.com]

Date: October 03, 2006 01:09AM

jmh30
Corey Potter (Michigan State)

HEY POTTER, YOU SUCK! :-( :-( :-(

:-}

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 03, 2006 01:56PM

pfibiger
Watch your back, Matt! (Stay tuned for a word from...)

Date: October 03, 2006 04:35PM

[q]
pfibiger

[www.unionleader.com] [/q]
Matt from the article
[q]"It's been unbelievable," Moulson said. "It's a little different than college: the professional atmosphere; the way you're treated. I've never had a 50-percent discount at a restaurant before." [/q]

I wonder if 50% is a lesser discount than some guys got in college.

Date: October 03, 2006 04:51PM

jkahn
[q]
pfibiger

Matt from the article
[q]"It's been unbelievable," Moulson said. "It's a little different than college: the professional atmosphere; the way you're treated. I've never had a 50-percent discount at a restaurant before." [/q]

Only at the dining halls in Orono.

Posted by: Jerseygirl (209.191.246.---)
Date: October 03, 2006 05:09PM

jtwcornell91
jkahn
[q]
pfibiger

Matt from the article

Only at the dining halls in Orono.

JTW, the Cornell guys got that discount at some dining halls too. Shocking, I know. I'd bitch further, but...Wallace got extra meat on his sandwich. Big deal. Call the NCAA. People love athletes and want to give them things.

Posted by: French Rage (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: October 04, 2006 12:14AM

pfibiger
Couple articles:

[www.unionleader.com]

Don't worry, hopefully Matt knows how to punch back. :-}

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login