Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

New Lynah Photo Slideshow

Posted by paulspen 
New Lynah Photo Slideshow
Posted by: paulspen (---.direcpc.com)
Date: September 13, 2006 08:28AM

Enjoy...maybe.

[www.theithacajournal.com]

Re: New Lynah Photo Slideshow
Posted by: nyc94 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: September 13, 2006 09:09AM

When they get your money for the "premium seating" Andy Noel is going to say, "Nice doing business with you, chum.....p"

Posted by: Rita (---.agry.purdue.edu)
Date: September 13, 2006 09:22AM

The photos are nice. I was having a hard time visualizing "remodeled Lynah" from the descriptions posted here. Last time I was in Lynah was for the Red/White scrimmage in 1999. I do like the walkway that connects section A with section O. The tubas might like it too.

From the photos it looks like most of the inside work is done. I guess the big question is: "Will the remaining exterior work be at a point, in ~ 4 weeks, that the Fire Marshall and other safety czars feel that is safe enough to let 3800+ fans in the building?"

In an attempt to be a "Pollyanna", I am optimistic that somebody will have an extra ticket for the Hahvahd weekend for someone who hasn't been to Lynah in almost 7 years :-). I am also hoping that I find this ticket sooner rather than later so that I only have to pay an exorbitant airline fare and not an "extremely exorbitant" one ;-).

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: September 13, 2006 12:17PM

From the looks of it and the captions, the new portions of the building are still not complete, including the locker rooms.

Posted by: Ben Rocky '04 (---.tcsn.qwest.net)
Date: September 13, 2006 01:03PM

So the tunnel has steps? How will that work in skates? Isn't that just asking for disaster? And hows Teets going to open the door for the team now?

Date: September 13, 2006 01:10PM

Ben Rocky 04
So the tunnel has steps? How will that work in skates? Isn't that just asking for disaster? And hows Teets going to open the door for the team now?
We've known about the steps for a long time. While not convienent, you can walk up steps in skates without too much trouble. I'd expect that a guy who's grown up in skates would have a lot less trouble with it than I ever did.

Now, the next triple overtime playoff game in Lynah may tell a different tale...

Date: September 13, 2006 01:17PM

KeithK
From the looks of it and the captions, the new portions of the building are still not complete, including the locker rooms.

As long as the structural work is done, can't they make do with a few benches ;-)? Many of us did when we played Intramural or pick-up hockey at Lynah and had to get ready in the hallway by the men's and ladies room in the corner by section O. I'm sure the guys won't mind waiting a few weeks for carpeting if it means home games at Lynah rather than Elmira.

Date: September 13, 2006 01:38PM

Rita
KeithK

As long as the structural work is done, can't they make do with a few benches ;-)? Many of us did when we played Intramural or pick-up hockey at Lynah and had to get ready in the hallway by the men's and ladies room in the corner by section O. I'm sure the guys won't mind waiting a few weeks for carpeting if it means home games at Lynah rather than Elmira.
Well, they probably need showers a the very least. :-)

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: September 13, 2006 01:39PM

That can't be the final mesh that covers the west end gallery. I'm sure the photgrapher snapped the picture just as a workman passed in front of the camera carrying wire mesh reinforcing material for one of the concrete pours.

Date: September 13, 2006 01:46PM

All thing considered I'm pretty happy with what I see. The rink still looks like Lynah all in all. The bridge is odd, but doesn't seem to fundamentally change the feel of the rink. I think the most jarring thing will probably be the lobby - a barn like Lynah doesn't need no stinking lobby!

Considering that students are inside for PE classes I'm annoyed that I ddin't try to go inside when I was on campus 10 days ago.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: September 13, 2006 02:00PM

KeithK
All thing considered I'm pretty happy with what I see. The rink still looks like Lynah all in all. The bridge is odd, but doesn't seem to fundamentally change the feel of the rink. I think the most jarring thing will probably be the lobby - a barn like Lynah doesn't need no stinking lobby!

Agreed on all counts. It's also nice to see that the ridiculous plastic butt-printed seats in C have been taken up. I'm very hopeful that this allows more seats per row in that section, which in turn will mean Anne's and my seats will still exist to the left of the vomitorium. Otherwise, we've hovering in mid-air. uhoh

Posted by: French Rage (---.packetdesign.com)
Date: September 13, 2006 02:00PM

Are they not done with premium seating yet, or does premium mean "a few boards piled on top of each other"? And where on the new bridge is the premium seating supposed to fit?

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.raytheon.com)
Date: September 13, 2006 02:06PM

French Rage
Are they not done with premium seating yet, or does premium mean "a few boards piled on top of each other"? And where on the new bridge is the premium seating supposed to fit?

Read my mind and beat me by ~5 minutes.

Date: September 13, 2006 02:35PM

Trotsky
Agreed on all counts. It's also nice to see that the ridiculous plastic butt-printed seats in C have been taken up. I'm very hopeful that this allows more seats per row in that section, which in turn will mean Anne's and my seats will still exist to the left of the vomitorium. Otherwise, we've hovering in mid-air. uhoh

Could it be that the "plastic butt-printed seats" that were the "premium seating" in Section C will just be re-located? ;-)

Posted by: lynda118 (---.dsl1.nor.ny.frontiernet.net)
Date: September 13, 2006 03:25PM

Agreed on all counts. It's also nice to see that the ridiculous plastic butt-printed seats in C have been taken up. I'm very hopeful that this allows more seats per row in that section, which in turn will mean Anne's and my seats will still exist to the left of the vomitorium. Otherwise, we've hovering in mid-air. uhoh[/quote]

Sorry to tell you but the plasitic butt seats are still there, but can any one tell what rows and seats are missing.

Posted by: redhair34 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: September 13, 2006 03:32PM

The hallway behind the "premium box seats" reminds me of a hallway at Appleton.

Posted by: Liz '05 (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: September 13, 2006 03:52PM

DeltaOne81
French Rage

My mind too. My initial reaction upon seeing the walkway was "That's awfully narrow." It's about the width of the walkway that used to be around the whole rink. I don't know if it would make sense to have made it a foot wider (there seems to be space, based on the picture with the PE students), but when you put a row of chairs in there, I think it will cause more traffic problems than it will solve. Maybe as a standing room only walkway?

Posted by: French Rage (---.packetdesign.com)
Date: September 13, 2006 05:59PM

DeltaOne81
French Rage

And regarding the non-bridge premium seating, what makes it premium? Doesnt look like there's that much more room (though that depends on if there's 1 or 2 rows in those sections).

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.caltech.edu)
Date: September 13, 2006 06:38PM

French Rage
DeltaOne81
French Rage

And regarding the non-bridge premium seating, what makes it premium? Doesnt look like there's that much more room (though that depends on if there's 1 or 2 rows in those sections).

Probably involves actual seats with cushions and such.

Posted by: upperdeck (---.syr.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 13, 2006 06:48PM

where does arthur and crew sit now? i see a bump above the scoreboard? and if so how do they connect with the penalty box crew to make sure the correct things happen?

Date: September 13, 2006 07:01PM

French Rage
And regarding the non-bridge premium seating, what makes it premium?
The price...

Posted by: peterg (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 13, 2006 08:45PM

billhoward
That can't be the final mesh that covers the west end gallery. I'm sure the photgrapher snapped the picture just as a workman passed in front of the camera carrying wire mesh reinforcing material for one of the concrete pours.

No, that is the mesh that is up all along the west end walkway. It is VERY distracting to look at the ice through it. Maybe it will disappear when watching a game, but looking out through it now, it's a real distraction.

Date: September 13, 2006 08:49PM

Trotsky
It's also nice to see that the ridiculous plastic butt-printed seats in C have been taken up. I'm very hopeful that this allows more seats per row in that section, which in turn will mean Anne's and my seats will still exist to the left of the vomitorium. Otherwise, we've hovering in mid-air. uhoh

The red plastic "seats" are, I believe, still there. I don't know if the plan is to remove them, but they were there last week and are visible in the photos.

Date: September 13, 2006 08:51PM

upperdeck
where does arthur and crew sit now? i see a bump above the scoreboard? and if so how do they connect with the penalty box crew to make sure the correct things happen?

I believe the scorer's table will be moved to the north side of the rink. The old visitor's bench will remain as it was. The p-box and scorer's area will be over near the red line, north side.

Date: September 13, 2006 08:57PM

Walking through, I thought that the new walkways were considerably wider than the old ones. Plus they will not be partially blocked up by standees holding their places on the rail.

It IS different inside. The biggest change in atmosphere I sensed was that you now enter the building AND must then separately enter the arena. You cannot see the ice as you walk around the building. If you want to get concessions or visit the restroom during play, you're not going to be watching the action as you move around the building.

On the other hand, I wouldn't be surprised if the new walls made it even louder inside. Nice.

Posted by: WillR (---.br1.glv.ny.frontiernet.net)
Date: September 13, 2006 09:18PM

peterg
billhoward

No, that is the mesh that is up all along the west end walkway. It is VERY distracting to look at the ice through it. Maybe it will disappear when watching a game, but looking out through it now, it's a real distraction.

I wouldn't count on it disapearing, it doesn't. Ultimately, if you have a seat behind it, you accept it but you know you see much better without it. I think the stuff they use at Lynah is woven with old belay ropes from the Lindseth Climbing Wall since they couldn't find anything thicker.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: September 13, 2006 09:31PM

It is very reassuring to see ice! I hadn't grasped that the tunnel emptied into the Cornell bench. Does that means the visitors use the old locker rooms at the west end? If they haven't done anything to the old lockers yet, all the teams could keep using them until the new ones are ready.

I'd wager that the premium/box seating shown in the first photo consists of two rows of chairs. Has anyone here been invited to buy premium setas or know anyone who has?

Date: September 13, 2006 10:01PM

David Harding
It is very reassuring to see ice! I hadn't grasped that the tunnel emptied into the Cornell bench. Does that means the visitors use the old locker rooms at the west end? If they haven't done anything to the old lockers yet, all the teams could keep using them until the new ones are ready.

I'd wager that the premium/box seating shown in the first photo consists of two rows of chairs. Has anyone here been invited to buy premium setas or know anyone who has?

The new lockers will not be ready to open the season. Cornell men and women will use their old lockers until the new ones are ready. The old training room will be used as well. The old vrsity locker rooms will eventually be the visitor locker rooms.

"Box seats" will be individual stadium style seats set up in two rows.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 13, 2006 10:16PM

peterg
upperdeck

I believe the scorer's table will be moved to the north side of the rink. The old visitor's bench will remain as it was. The p-box and scorer's area will be over near the red line, north side.

Wait, wait... they're putting the p-box on the visitors side? Isn't half the point of separating the benches supposed to be to make *your* bench closer to the p-box so you can switch quicker when a guy comes out? Ala Bright.

I'm not fan of opposite side benches, but at least it was supposed to give us an advantage. If they actually make it a *disadvantage*, then I'll really be pissed :-P

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: September 13, 2006 11:06PM

DeltaOne81

Wait, wait... they're putting the p-box on the visitors side? Isn't half the point of separating the benches supposed to be to make *your* bench closer to the p-box so you can switch quicker when a guy comes out? Ala Bright.

I'm not fan of opposite side benches, but at least it was supposed to give us an advantage. If they actually make it a *disadvantage*, then I'll really be pissed :-P

That was the first thing I thought when I read the accompanying article (link below). Very un-Schafer-like to give the visitors any kind of advantage.

That walkway is PRIME heckle space, ala Meehan. After having sat in Section H for several years, watching games through the netting is off-putting at first, but I was able to get used to it. And the closer it is to you, the easier it should be to focus through it. I wouldn't mind seeing that walkway become SRO room, since they took away all standing room in the rest of the rink.

[edit.theithacajournal.gannettonline.com]

Posted by: calgARI '07 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 13, 2006 11:29PM

I'm sure this has been answered multiple times, but are the remaining Section C seats still for the people from before? Or is it now a student section? I had heard it would become a student section.

Date: September 13, 2006 11:56PM

calgARI '07
I'm sure this has been answered multiple times, but are the remaining Section C seats still for the people from before? Or is it now a student section? I had heard it would become a student section.

[Jackie_Gleason]And awaaaaaay we goooo![/Jackie_Gleason]

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: September 14, 2006 03:46AM

redhair34
The hallway behind the "premium box seats" reminds me of a hallway at Appleton.

Does that mean we also get the sweater-wearing ushers?

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: duffs4 (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: September 14, 2006 08:59AM

[q]Wait, wait... they're putting the p-box on the visitors side? Isn't half the point of separating the benches supposed to be to make *your* bench closer to the p-box so you can switch quicker when a guy comes out? Ala Bright.[/q]

Don't get your panties in a bunch, penalty boxes will be on both sides.;-)
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2006 08:59AM by duffs4.

Date: September 14, 2006 09:02AM

duffs4
[q]Wait, wait... they're putting the p-box on the visitors side? Isn't half the point of separating the benches supposed to be to make *your* bench closer to the p-box so you can switch quicker when a guy comes out? Ala Bright.[/q]

Don't get your panties in a bunch, penalty boxes will be on both sides.;-)

Really. I didn't know that configuration was possible. It's certainly much fairer than what they have e.g. at Cheel and Appleton.

Of course, I still sort of miss the days when we had one big penalty box with players from both teams in it and one poor off-ice offical to keep them separated.

Posted by: Dpperk29 (128.153.201.---)
Date: September 14, 2006 11:32AM

the even better scenario is the one at Cass Park (it's in ithaca for all you cornell people who never get off the hill). One penalty Box. Very small. forces the players to either get along or kill eachother

Posted by: Ben Rocky '04 (---.tcsn.qwest.net)
Date: September 14, 2006 11:45AM

I miss the "Reserved: Dufresne" written on the bench in the old old penalty box.

Date: September 14, 2006 12:35PM

calgARI '07

I called the ticket office and spoke with a minion named Scott, since Gene is on vacation until next Monday. According to Scott, if you are one of the unlucky ones whose seat was vaporized, you will simply be moved up to the old press row. Thus, everyone who used to have a seat in C still does. Yippee. Gene is supposed to contact all of us concerned as soon as he "finalizes the plan." I'm not really sure what that means -- it seems pretty final as it is, but anyway we won't be hearing from him until he gets back from his vacation. The ticket office number is 607-254-2327.

It sounds like they were nice and rational, so I take back everything mean I ever said about the AD.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2006 01:23PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: REDhead (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 14, 2006 12:46PM

Here's what I know about what's been brought up on this thread....

The "premium" seats on the walkway are premium because they have a back. There will be one row of seats, not two, and the "walkway" will not be used as a walkway, but only to access seats if you are a ticket holder for those seats. In other words, the rest of us can't use it as a through-way for that end of the rink.

The Journal was wrong about the penalty boxes--our pb will be next to our bench, the visitors pb will be on the opposite side, but located so that the scorer's/announcers booth will be between the visitor pb and the visitor bench. Our pb will be directly next to our bench, rationale being it will take the visitors 3 steps or so to get back to their bench while we just have to hop into ours.

The idea of section C reverting to a student section seems to have been abandoned.

The 'steps' coming down from the new locker room to the tunnel are some kind of broad specialty (hockey)steps, and not like the steeper narrower ones in your home stairwell.

The CHA is gearing up to run the Red/White game on 10/13 as scheduled, will be our first chance to look at Lynah with the team on the ice, so plan to attend!

Posted by: RichH (216.195.201.---)
Date: September 14, 2006 03:05PM

Trotsky

It sounds like they were nice and rational, so I take back everything mean I ever said about the AD.

Well...let's not do anything crazy, now.

Posted by: peterg (---.com)
Date: September 14, 2006 03:49PM

jtwcornell91
Of course, I still sort of miss the days when we had one big penalty box with players from both teams in it and one poor off-ice offical to keep them separated.

As the poor old off-ice official who was blessed to have that job for a long, long time, I can tell you that it was absolutely the best seat in the house. You really felt like you were all but in the game. I miss it, notwithstanding the occasional puck flying in, sticks to duck, and, believe me, the unusual smells of the visiting teams on the second night of a road trip.

Posted by: peterg (---.com)
Date: September 14, 2006 03:51PM

References to the two rows of seats was to the boxes, and not the walkway.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: September 14, 2006 05:43PM

RichH
That walkway is PRIME heckle space, ala Meehan.
Too bad nobody who's going to pay for "premium" seating will take advantage of it.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.ashbva.adelphia.net)
Date: September 14, 2006 06:40PM

jmh30
RichH
That walkway is PRIME heckle space, ala Meehan.
Too bad nobody who's going to pay for "premium" seating will take advantage of it.

A 1/16th-inch thick roll of tin sheet flooring would complete this enhancement, and make the goaltender below feel like he was caught in a hailstorm.

Posted by: WillCMJr (198.190.230.---)
Date: September 14, 2006 11:04PM

I guess that I don't get why they would create that, then not allow people to walk accross it. Sounds kind of boneheaded.

Date: September 14, 2006 11:15PM

WillCMJr
I guess that I don't get why they would create that, then not allow people to walk accross it. Sounds kind of boneheaded.

Well, they created it for seating...not passage. Sorta like the Monster Seats in Fenway. I think the Journal calling it a "walkway" is a bit of a misnomer. Previously it has been called a mezzanine, which is more accurate for its usage. Once the seats are in, it'll look less like a walkway.

If you start letting people walk across, and you'll get all sorts of people stopping to watch the game in a space that's probably half the width of the old walkways around the rink. Ties up traffic...and bothers your "premium seating" patrons.

Date: September 15, 2006 12:12AM

Trotsky

A 1/16th-inch thick roll of tin sheet flooring would complete this enhancement, and make the goaltender below feel like he was caught in a hailstorm.

:-D I like the way you think.

Date: September 15, 2006 10:29AM

REDhead

The idea of section C reverting to a student section seems to have been abandoned.

And I'll reiterate my opinion that if this is true, Athletics really blew it with regards to this. It was one of the things I was most looking forward to with the reconfiguration.

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: September 15, 2006 12:21PM

RichH
REDhead

And I'll reiterate my opinion that if this is true, Athletics really blew it with regards to this. It was one of the things I was most looking forward to with the reconfiguration.

My guess is they didn't want students over the tunnel where words and objects could be exchanged in front of the press.

Date: September 15, 2006 12:41PM

Chris '03
My guess is they didn't want students over the tunnel where words and objects could be exchanged in front of the press.
Are we really concerned about Cornell students exchanging words with and tossing objects at the home team?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/2006 04:48PM by KeithK.

Date: September 15, 2006 03:21PM

RichH
And I'll reiterate my opinion that if this is true, Athletics really blew it with regards to this.

I disagree (of course). But I think that the tunnel will tend to diminish the reputation of C as a quiet, or at least confused, section. C was schizophrenic because people in A and E have an unfortunate tendency to start cheers simultaneously and C was literally caught in the middle. The tunnel now cleaves C into "B-" and "D+" halves. (begin snark on this theory every section at Harvard should be labeled "A" end snark) C people will now have a feeling of which "side" to join.

And of course, there are those of us in C who start cheers on our own. We are not old in spirit. ;-)

OK, I guess we are, but you know what I mean...
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/2006 03:22PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 15, 2006 06:06PM

Trotsky
RichH
And I'll reiterate my opinion that if this is true, Athletics really blew it with regards to this.

I disagree (of course).

We are not old in spirit. ;-)

OK, I guess we are, but you know what I mean...
The first statement proves the last, and certainly not the middle one.:-D

I tried to get premium seating (I thought it might be fun to have a bunch fo friends in one), but I was told they all were going to corporate supporters.:-/

Are you really sure that there are fewer seats per row in C?

Date: September 15, 2006 06:50PM

[q]I tried to get premium seating (I thought it might be fun to have a bunch fo friends in one), but I was told they all were going to corporate supporters.[/q]Um, if all of the premium seats are going to corporate sponsors, wouldn't the ushers immediately try to make all of the students sit down?

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.caltech.edu)
Date: September 15, 2006 07:11PM

KeithK
[q]I tried to get premium seating (I thought it might be fun to have a bunch fo friends in one), but I was told they all were going to corporate supporters.[/q]Um, if all of the premium seats are going to corporate sponsors, wouldn't the ushers immediately try to make all of the students sit down?

Premium seats are only on the townie side.

Date: September 15, 2006 07:26PM

KeithK

We have corporate sponsors?

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: September 15, 2006 07:42PM

nyc94
KeithK

Haven't you ever seen the scoreboard go through the list of sponsors?

Date: September 15, 2006 07:51PM

Will
nyc94

or the dasher boards

Date: September 15, 2006 08:25PM

Will
nyc94
KeithK

Who reads the scoreboard? Seriously, now, the only times I look at it are before penalties are announced and expire, and when the clock is ticking down at the end of a period. None of which require reading the text scroll at the top.

Date: September 15, 2006 09:10PM

redhair34
Will
nyc94

or the dasher boards

I did't associate a few advertisements with "corporate sponsorship".

Date: September 16, 2006 12:09AM

Jim Hyla
I tried to get premium seating (I thought it might be fun to have a bunch fo friends in one), but I was told they all were going to corporate supporters.:-/

Seriously...if I don't get off the waiting list after 6 years AND an expansion because the distributor for Odwalla Juice (drink it and THRIVE) is getting a few kickbacks.........I'm going to be majorly pissed off.

Date: September 16, 2006 05:02AM

Will
nyc94
KeithK

So the owners of ShortStop are our equivalent of corporate bigwigs?

Posted by: Trotsky (---.ashbva.adelphia.net)
Date: September 16, 2006 06:11AM

Will
nyc94

We have a scoreboard? ;-)

Date: September 16, 2006 09:47AM

nyc94
I did't associate a few advertisements with "corporate sponsorship".

And you may be right. I was just trying to think about who the sponsors might be.

Posted by: ben03 (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: September 26, 2006 11:55PM

so it's been a few years since i've seen a game Lynah but i was just curious if anyone else noticed the all red Zamboni (well not really but you know what i mean)? i could have sworn it didn't used to be all red ... ??? am i crazy or is this part of the facilities upgrade that i've not heard mentioned? anyone ...

Posted by: Cactus12 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: September 26, 2006 11:57PM

The red zamboni is in fact shiny and new. It first appeared last season.

Posted by: ithacat (128.253.193.---)
Date: September 27, 2006 01:02PM

Cactus12

They need to trim it out & show a little flair.

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: September 27, 2006 01:22PM

ithacat
Cactus12

Pimp My Zamboni?

Date: September 27, 2006 03:57PM

Will
ithacat
Cactus12

Pimp My Zamboni?

No. Pimp My Olympia brand ice resurfacer.

Posted by: pfm10 (---.pg.com)
Date: October 25, 2006 11:38AM

Bump

So how did the new rink renovations work/look through the exhibition game?

Posted by: kaelistus (---.mak.com)
Date: October 25, 2006 03:18PM

Just out of curiosity. How many of these seats are actually going to go to students? I see a bunch of new premium seats but with C not going to students, it looks like most of the seat gain is going to the older folk.

Not that I'm a student anymore, but I hope this isn't true.

Posted by: kaelistus (---.mak.com)
Date: October 25, 2006 03:33PM

Funny.. So I'm browsing USCHO and I come up to this post in a Top College Arenas list:

--- (Bothman)
For me, to even be considered in this list, you have to represent what college athletics is all about:

Rabid fans
Band
Intimate setting with fans on top of the ice
No high tech scoreboard
Students with the best seats

For this reason, of the Northeast schools, this eliminates BU's Agannis, BC's Conte, UNH's Whittemore Center. These places may have new seats, great sound, etc - but in my opinion, in no way compare to the true college atmospheres of Cornell's Lynah Rink or UVM's Gutterson Arena (I have not been to Alfond, but it would probably be right there).

Forget about $100MM rinks, or state of the art scoreboards, or music not coming from a band - I love the fact that when I go into these old school rinks, I feel as though boosters and corporate America have yet to penetrate the confines - it brings about a sense of purity.

Kudos to the programs who haven't sold out for the $$$.
----

I hope this will continue to be true! I have absolutely no trust in Cornell Athletics not selling out for mere pennies (See Website).

Posted by: derry22 (---.hsd1.nh.comcast.net)
Date: October 25, 2006 04:19PM

Being an old educator, I'd give the expansion a C+ as compared to the A- job they did at St Lawrence. Oh well.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login