Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

[OT] playing hockey in the Boston area

Posted by ftyuv 
[OT] playing hockey in the Boston area
Posted by: ftyuv (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 27, 2006 04:13PM

This is a question to all you Beantowners. I was wondering if any of you knew some good open hockey sessions that go on around here. I've been to a couple of FMCs, but there didn't seem to be much going on other than a couple of people doing just stick practice or whatever -- I didn't happen across any pickup games or anything. I don't think I'm good enough (yet) to join a league, I just want to be able to play a little a couple times a week. Anyone know of any good spots?

(Weekends or early morning/late night would be best, or if it's during the day, something close to Andover so that I can just take a quick break from work.)

Re: [OT] playing hockey in the Boston area
Posted by: Winnabago (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: August 28, 2006 12:42PM

I'm in the same boat, it the past, I would try to find a few guys at a skate n shoot session who knew what was up in the area, or if I was lucky, there would be a scrimmage going on. Nowadays, though, rinks don't like to do this (insurance reasons, I guess), so you really have to find someone who rents time regularly, or a league. And from my experience, it's not on a website somewhere, it's the bulletin boards at the rink, or through the sharpening techs, or the woman at the desk who knows the guy who runs leagues. Ask around. This is good advice for anywhere, and not just Boston.

Specific to here, though, I might suggest joining a league. There is excellent competition that I know of at the rink in Newton on the river (Daly Rink, I think) and at Murphy Rink over in South Boston. I haven't played since 2004 at either, though, and I'm not sure how convenient this would be to you. If all else fails, I thought about enrolling in a PE class at a place like Northeastern to get some ice time, but haven't acted on it. Do you have any street hockey regulars that play ice too?

Edit: I completely missed your comment about not joining a league. Sorry. I would agree that the resource below is excellent, if you have a car and a flexible schedule.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2006 02:10PM by Winnabago.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.cmbrmaks.akamai.com)
Date: August 28, 2006 02:23PM

The best way to learn how to play hockey at our advanced age is to join a beginner's league. The Hockey Academy, Hockey North America, and New England Senior Hockey League all offer beginner's leagues in which they build the teams and give you some weeks of intro and drills before starting you on actual games.

This is what I did 3 years ago, and it was a great way to get started, as well as to meet other people who like to play. Boston is one of the most favorable areas of the country for amateur adult hockey, precisely because there are lots of people who want to learn to play as adults.

Cheers,
Kyle

Posted by: ftyuv (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 28, 2006 08:16PM

Advanced age! Speak for yourself, Oldy McOldman -- I just graduated :)

But however unadvanced my age is, that's how unadvanced my hockey is, too. So a beginner's league like that sounds perfect. Thanks!

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.krose.org)
Date: August 28, 2006 08:26PM

ftyuv
Hey, you'll be 30 one of these days, buddy.

And long after that, you'll reach Greg's age. :-D

Kyle

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: August 29, 2006 12:06PM

krose
ftyuv
Hey, you'll be 30 one of these days, buddy.

And long after that, you'll reach Greg's age. :-D

Kyle

Watch it, you young whipper-snapper! :-P

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login