Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Hocky Tickets 2006/7

Posted by scannon 
Hocky Tickets 2006/7
Posted by: scannon (205.232.75.---)
Date: August 22, 2006 05:00PM

I don't know if everyone has heard how they are distriuting the tickets this year but I couldn't find it on here so I thought I'd post it.

First we have to pre-register online to state our interest in buying tickets.

Second we report to the ticket office to re-state our interest and collect our Inactive line numbers.

An announcement will be made about which inactive line numbers will become active at halftime of the albany football game (Sept 30)

Those numbers which are then active become like the line numbers last year and we camp out in the ramin room in Oct. some time.

I got the information off some people at a hocky sign at PE sign up.

It looks like its a lottery this year.screwy:-(

There's also some stuff about 150 seniors getting seating priority but it doesn't affect me so I haven't really looked at it.

Re: HockEy Tickets 2006/7
Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: August 22, 2006 05:23PM

H-O-C-K-E-Y

Posted by: ugarte (---.axiomlegal.com)
Date: August 22, 2006 05:53PM

KeithK
H-O-C-K-E-Y
I knew that would be the first response. I had to fight sooooo hard not to write it myself; I thought that the interesting news was enough to give the guy a pass.

Posted by: WillR (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: August 22, 2006 05:58PM

What a disapointing outcome if this has become a lottery. I like the idea of making people go through as many steps as possible. I would add even more steps just to try to weed out those who don't want them enough, but the list of things to do doesn't seem likely to disuade enough non-fans

Is there a limit to how many people can join the band? This might be the best way around a lottery.

-WillR

Re: Hocky Tickets 2006/7
Posted by: Tub(a) (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: August 22, 2006 06:03PM

So they take two systems (lottery and camp-out) and combine the most useless parts of them?

The indoors, entertainment and food provided "line" was already becoming a pointless farce, but this makes it official.

Unless they are being underhanded about it and making only the first few hundred line numbers "active," thus making it an unannounced camp out situation under the guise of a lottery. I'm pretty sure that's not it though ;)

Date: August 22, 2006 06:03PM

ugarte
KeithK
H-O-C-K-E-Y
I knew that would be the first response. I had to fight sooooo hard not to write it myself; I thought that the interesting news was enough to give the guy a pass.
I know. I just couldn't help myself.

Posted by: redhair34 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: August 22, 2006 06:08PM

After last year's debacle I can't say this would be all that surprising (assuming what scannon says is the case)--disapointing but not surprising.

Posted by: French Rage (---.packetdesign.com)
Date: August 22, 2006 06:37PM

WillR
What a disapointing outcome if this has become a lottery. I like the idea of making people go through as many steps as possible. I would add even more steps just to try to weed out those who don't want them enough, but the list of things to do doesn't seem likely to disuade enough non-fans

Is there a limit to how many people can join the band? This might be the best way around a lottery.

-WillR

Yeah, somehow
- register online
- go to ticket office
- go to football game
- campout
doesnt exactly seem like it'll deter that many people.

Cornell Athletics: To Hell With Occam's Razor

Though I do like the idea of a 3000 person band.

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: August 22, 2006 08:27PM

Every year, I think, "They couldn't possibly make it worse than last year." And every year around this time, I am amazed...and I am not one that is easily amazed. Kudos, Cornell Athletics.

Posted by: scannon (209.2.89.---)
Date: August 22, 2006 09:07PM

My sincerest apologies.

I'll leave it unedited to preserve the joke.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.krose.org)
Date: August 22, 2006 09:28PM

Please, PLEASE, just make the student section GA on a per-game basis. The true fans will show up for the best seats at 5pm, and the facetimers will get bored of this after a game or two.

GAAAAAAA! :)

Kyle

Posted by: Dafatone (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: August 23, 2006 02:23AM

Does going to the football game even matter? Seems like you can just check afterwards whether you "won" the lottery or not.

Lame system.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.range86-142.btcentralplus.com)
Date: August 23, 2006 06:42AM

WillR
The band only gets a limited number of tickets (51? 41?) for each game. To determine who gets them, there's a priority points system based on attendance at other events. So no, anyone can JOIN the band (and there've been people who're substantially devoid of musical talent), but that doesn't mean you'll be able to go to hockey games with the band.

Posted by: canuck89 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: August 23, 2006 11:14AM

I am in total agreement with Will... :-(

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.raytheon.com)
Date: August 23, 2006 01:19PM

Will
and I am not one that is easily amazed. Kudos, Cornell Athletics.

Oh yes, and I'm not easily impressed... WOW! A BLUE CAR!

Posted by: BCrespi (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 23, 2006 10:27PM

I can't believe this, well of course I can, and am almost glad it's my first year off the hill so I don't have to deal with it (not really of course). I told a friend of mine about it and he suggested this, "I think that there should just be a fucking battle royale for them. They open up the Ramin Room at a certain time. The last person alive the next day wins all of the tickets and my distribute them as they please." MUCH better system than this one.

Date: August 23, 2006 10:52PM

BCrespi
I can't believe this, well of course I can, and am almost glad it's my first year off the hill so I don't have to deal with it (not really of course). I told a friend of mine about it and he suggested this, "I think that there should just be a fucking battle royale for them. They open up the Ramin Room at a certain time. The last person alive the next day wins all of the tickets and my distribute them as they please." MUCH better system than this one.

Okay, but only if they play the Star Trek fight music at the same time. That's really the only way to do it.

Posted by: jimmy (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: August 24, 2006 07:42PM

Anybody know what's going on with seniors this year? As a senior who has had tickets the last 3 years (and section B until last year's debacle) this is the part that really interests me. If anybody knows anything...please post it.

Posted by: las224 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: August 24, 2006 09:00PM

A lottery is absolutely ridiculous. Basically, this means the entire student body will be signing up for it just to see if they get tickets (why not? They don't have to expend any effort). And then 90% of people who win will be buying tickets and scalping them to true fans instead of attending any of the games.

Wow, athletic department, way to make sure that people who actually care about hockey and will be good fans don't get to attend.

Posted by: French Rage (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: August 25, 2006 02:32AM

The one day camp out to weed people out is stupid. No one's gonna drop out, that's the easy part, the hard part is the week before. So let's see, first the tickets became a facetime thing, then the caping became a facetime thing. What's next, is waiting for the ticket information gonna become the "in thing" to do?

From what I heard, they had a good method two years ago, they just completely screwed it up last year. But, of course, given the injuries, they couldnt do that again.

Posted by: Free11Skier (---.clvdoh.adelphia.net)
Date: August 25, 2006 10:16AM

I heard it through the grapevine that our good friend Gene has come to the conclusion that a first come, first served sort of line will be a debacle no matter what system is used. I guess he just threw up his hands and said screw it - lottery!

MAE '08

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2006 10:17AM by Free11Skier.

Posted by: Cactus12 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: August 25, 2006 10:41AM

Two years ago was good... efficient, easy. Not perfect, but definitely good enough I thought.

Unforunately last year those lazy [insert obscenity of your choice]s at athletics decided to sit on their asses in Lynah, where half the students were just hanging around anyway. Apparently Cornell's campus isn't big enough for them. screwy

Date: August 25, 2006 03:26PM

The problem wasn't that they picked Lynah; the problem was that they wouldn't let people in the building to form a line for about 20 minutes. That resulted in a big pileup outside the rink as people pushed to bang on the doors while cops and officials essentially just stared out at them and tried to keep them from breaking the glass. Had they started letting people actually go through the building and form a line immediately, it would have been no problem.

Date: August 25, 2006 07:54PM

It was still dumb to give them out at lynah. Besides, that didn't result in the best fans getting the best tickets. Over 2000 people were waiting in that area on central. I still say an unannounced quiz on cornell hockey would reward the best fans with better numbers, and it is SAFE.

Date: August 25, 2006 08:41PM

las224
The problem wasn't that they picked Lynah; the problem was that they wouldn't let people in the building to form a line for about 20 minutes. That resulted in a big pileup outside the rink as people pushed to bang on the doors while cops and officials essentially just stared out at them and tried to keep them from breaking the glass. Had they started letting people actually go through the building and form a line immediately, it would have been no problem.

While by far the larger of the two problems was the waiting 20 minutes (which essentially negates the whole freaking point of suddenly announcing the line location), the central location didnt help, and would have made it more difficult had they actually started giving out the numbers when they said. A location somewhat off the beaten path more or less ensures that everyone streams in bit by bit (well, as much as the demand for tickets will result in just a biy by bit stream) from one direction, which makes it easier to hand out pieces of paper to people as they come up. In a central location, however, you get people swarming in from all directions, instead of a somewhat orderly line, and you get a much larger volume, since people are already all around you and not awhile away.

So while I agree the big problem was the wait time, Lynah was also a poorly thought out (and too damn obvious) location to chose.

Date: August 25, 2006 09:15PM

French Rage
While by far the larger of the two problems was the waiting 20 minutes (which essentially negates the whole freaking point of suddenly announcing the line location), the central location didnt help, and would have made it more difficult had they actually started giving out the numbers when they said. A location somewhat off the beaten path more or less ensures that everyone streams in bit by bit (well, as much as the demand for tickets will result in just a biy by bit stream) from one direction, which makes it easier to hand out pieces of paper to people as they come up. In a central location, however, you get people swarming in from all directions, instead of a somewhat orderly line, and you get a much larger volume, since people are already all around you and not awhile away.

So while I agree the big problem was the wait time, Lynah was also a poorly thought out (and too damn obvious) location to chose.

The line forms in Vladivostok.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: August 26, 2006 01:15PM

French Rage
las224

Well, having it be effectively a race was the ultimate problem. The right way to do a line is to say when tickets will be sold and let a line form, not say when you can start forming a line for a fixed amount of time.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: ftyuv (---.bstnma.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 26, 2006 03:41PM

I think they should just have a line, like in the good ol' days, and have it start a few days before school. That way there's not the "we don't want you to miss classes" problem, and you can let people camp out in the line for however long they're willing to commit.

The frosh will already be there so it's not unfair to them, upperclassmen are usually there anyway so it won't be unfair for them, there's very little rush that goes on in the fall so the Greeks shouldn't be too upset... and frankly, if someone isn't willing to give up a night or two of drinking to get good seats, I don't think he should necessarily get them. Don't get me wrong, I love the Beirut, it revs my engines. But I would have been willing to give up a night or two of it for good tickets, and I think most of my friends would be too, and I think most of you would too. That would be my humble opinion.

<rant>

I'm thankfully gone, so I've already resigned to not seeing CU Hockey at Lynah, but if my friends don't get tickets I'll be pissed. CU's already managed to piss me off enough that I wouldn't give money except to Athletics, and sometimes it seems that they're hell-bent on convincing me not to give money there, either.

</rant>

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: August 28, 2006 06:15PM

Will
The line forms in Vladivostok.

Yeah, but where does the line for Russian visas form? nut help

Re: Hocky Tickets 2006/7 - info from athletics
Posted by: Ben Rocky '04 (---.tcsn.qwest.net)
Date: August 28, 2006 10:50PM

Here's the word from the powers that be on the 'line':

[cornellbigred.cstv.com]

Date: August 28, 2006 10:56PM

Ben Rocky 04

[cornellbigred.cstv.com]

So they dont even have to be present at the Albany game? Even though that would take little effort for them to check, and would help attendance of another sport...

Great year to be a senior. You dont have to have stepped foot in Lynah the last 3 years but now could have priority over harder-working underclassmen.

Posted by: Free11Skier (---.clvdoh.adelphia.net)
Date: August 28, 2006 10:56PM

Wow, they even refer to it as a lottery. I was expecting atheltics to try to call it something else.

MAE '08

Posted by: redhair34 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: August 28, 2006 11:03PM

Ben Rocky 04

[cornellbigred.cstv.com]

To make matters even worse, season tickets are now $100 more expensive for undergrads--sweetrolleyes .

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.caltech.edu)
Date: August 29, 2006 01:26AM

Doesn't this actually put you at a disadvantage if you are one of the first people? If they go from the number they draw back in numbers, you are much less likely to get tickets if you are towards the beginning of numbers

Date: August 29, 2006 02:21AM

redhair34
Ben Rocky 04

[cornellbigred.cstv.com]

To make matters even worse, season tickets are now $100 more expensive for undergrads--sweetrolleyes .

And you can only pay via your bursar account.

Posted by: DL (211.139.190.---)
Date: August 29, 2006 03:11AM

I'd always thought having the Sun post surprise notices about ticket sales was way more interesting.
It would be even better to scatter ticket sales on an unpatterned daily basis, forcing buyers to go to all kinds of obscure parts of the campus to snag one or two of maybe a couple dozen priority numbers. An Amazing Race system would be far too much work, but would sure be a lot more fun.
Or maybe I just like scavenger hunts.

Posted by: cth95 (---.a-315.westelcom.com)
Date: August 29, 2006 04:13AM

That could be pretty interesting. If they wanted to, atheletics could force students to learn about the Cornell campus and history by sending them to relevant places. There are probably too many people to pull that off, though.

Other than bragging to people that Cornell hockey is so popular you have to wait in line to get a ticket, the specific rules of the line don't mean much to me now, since I am an alumnus. I do wonder though, what's the point of staying in line overnight if you already have your number and know you are getting a ticket? Is the extra effort of one night really that big of a deal if it only holds your ticket and doesn't help you earn it by seeing if you can endure more than the next hopeful fan?

Date: August 29, 2006 01:26PM

cth95
Other than bragging to people that Cornell hockey is so popular you have to wait in line to get a ticket, the specific rules of the line don't mean much to me now, since I am an alumnus. I do wonder though, what's the point of staying in line overnight if you already have your number and know you are getting a ticket? Is the extra effort of one night really that big of a deal if it only holds your ticket and doesn't help you earn it by seeing if you can endure more than the next hopeful fan?

Nah, it's so athletics can sell those stupid t-shirts.

Posted by: octopusguy (---.dsl.chmpil.ameritech.net)
Date: August 29, 2006 05:33PM

that's not necessarily true. if the line they pick is way at the end, i'm sure they will just wrap around back to the first numbers.

Date: August 29, 2006 06:03PM

Yeah... statistically speaking it's equal chance no matter what line number you hold (assuming they wrap around and actually pick at random)

Date: August 29, 2006 06:27PM

Cactus12
Yeah... statistically speaking it's equal chance no matter what line number you hold (assuming they wrap around and actually pick at random)

Yeah, I realized this later on. My first reaction was thinking if they didn't wrap around, but that wouldn't make sense.

Date: August 29, 2006 08:34PM

Jacob '06
Cactus12

Yeah, I realized this later on. My first reaction was thinking if they didn't wrap around, but that wouldn't make sense.

Which makes it almost a given they wont wrap around.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.ashbva.adelphia.net)
Date: August 30, 2006 12:53AM

cth95
I do wonder though, what's the point of staying in line overnight if you already have your number and know you are getting a ticket? Is the extra effort of one night really that big of a deal if it only holds your ticket and doesn't help you earn it by seeing if you can endure more than the next hopeful fan?
As a veteran of three weekend-long lines, before the university pussied out: yes, it does. There is a dramatic difference between a crowd of people who were obsessive enough to blow a whole weekend (including ditching Friday classes) on waiting in the mud, and one which had tix distributed via mail or the luck of the draw. There are of course great fans and poseurs in all crowds, and various dumbass groups manage to strong-arm their way into whatever system you can come up with. But there is a significant difference in the relative percentage of each who get into Lynah under different systems.

If you want a better crowd, make it harder.

Posted by: cth95 (---.a-315.westelcom.com)
Date: August 30, 2006 03:13AM

[Q]If you want a better crowd, make it harder. -----Trotzky[/Q]

I agree with you that a line will weed people out who don't care as much. I meant that the current scenario is very different than the one you described.

Spending one night in line just to reserve a ticket you already have doesn't take nearly as much effort nor does it have the reward of being able to vie for a spot close enough to the front to make the cut. If one can freely choose how early they commit to the line, then there is a direct relation between their effort and the chance of getting a ticket, whereas the current system rewards anyone lucky enough to win a lottery number who is willing to stay over one night. I imagine that includes almost everyone. Only the real die hards (like the people on this forum :-) ) would camp out for three days straight to get one of the first spots in the line and assure themselves a ticket.
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2006 03:16AM by cth95.

Posted by: Winnabago (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: August 30, 2006 03:51PM

[q]They may also choose seats in Section F which is a general admission section.[/q]

Did anyone catch that? What does GA in ONE section accomplish?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2006 03:51PM by Winnabago.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: August 30, 2006 04:03PM

cth95
I agree with you that a line will weed people out who don't care as much. I meant that the current scenario is very different than the one you described.

Spending one night in line just to reserve a ticket you already have doesn't take nearly as much effort nor does it have the reward of being able to vie for a spot close enough to the front to make the cut. If one can freely choose how early they commit to the line, then there is a direct relation between their effort and the chance of getting a ticket, whereas the current system rewards anyone lucky enough to win a lottery number who is willing to stay over one night. I imagine that includes almost everyone. Only the real die hards (like the people on this forum :-) ) would camp out for three days straight to get one of the first spots in the line and assure themselves a ticket.

I agree with you. My thinking is that in the absence of a good policy on the awarding of tickets in the first place, the best we can do is have an overnight line that weeds out the facetimers unwilling to even devote that short period to retaining their tickets.

A good system should:

1) reward the hockey obsessives with their first choice in seats

2) prefer upperclassmen to underclassmen, as the latter will have chances in later years, but

3) retain enough slots for underclassmen to bring new fans into the building

A way of distributing seats to the people who want them the most would be to make all student seating GA. Lines would be longer for high-demand games, as more students would be willing to wait longer for those. If you have GA, then you may as well tie ticket-availability to those game-specific lines and simply do away with season tickets. This would also lessen the total cost burden for people who could only see some games because of conflicts, and it would drop the facetimer total because a few select games (like Harvard) would become the velvet-rope events that those type are attracted to. (No facetimer has ever sought to increase his or her prestige by attending a Union game.) Also, without the huge up-front cost of season tickets, the AD could increase individual ticket prices to find the natural market price of tickets. People who care more will pay more, and so you get a crowd of invested people.

Date: August 30, 2006 04:15PM

[q]If you have GA, then you may as well tie ticket-availability to those game-specific lines and simply do away with season tickets.[/q]The AD is not going to want to do away with season tickets because it guarantees a full house every night. Let's say Cornell is in the middle of a mediocre season and plays Union on a Friday night in February. Under a single season format this game is not likely to sell out and will probably have many, mnay empty seats. The potential lost revenue from these empty seats probably outstrips the costs associated with having a line.

[q]Also, without the huge up-front cost of season tickets, the AD could increase individual ticket prices to find the natural market price of tickets.[/q]They could raise ticket prices sufficiently to counter these losses. But that's dangerous too. Demand for hockey tickets is quite inelastic for eLynah types, but not necessarily for freshmen who don't know much about hockey (I would have been in that category) or just the more casual fan. Raise the prices enough and the you depress demand and end up lowering revenue. The hardest part about this (aside from increased prices for the die-hards) is that the AD doesn't know where the revenue maximizing price is. Experimenting has the potential to cause short term revenue loss.

When all is said and done, the AD cares first and foremost about revenue, so they want a season ticket system that guarantees sell outs with as little trouble as possible. A good crowd is a added bonus, but not essential. Thus the lottery.

Posted by: pat (---.pitbpa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 30, 2006 04:37PM

canuck89
.I still say an unannounced quiz on cornell hockey would reward the best fans with better numbers, and it is SAFE.
MULTIPLE CHOICE
1. When Cornell is on the power play, I should:
  a. Get up; now's the time to take a leak without missing anything.
  b. Cheer loudly and watch the play develop in the attacking zone.
  c. Yell "SHOOT" every time a Cornell player comes near the puck.

2. RPI forward Tyler Eaves makes a hand pass in his own defensive zone. I should:
  a. Answer my cell phone.
  b. Cheer loudly and watch the play develop through the neutral zone.
  c. Shriek "HAND PASS" at the top of my lungs.

3. Harvard defense Brian McCafferty is penalized for holding. As he's going to the box, I should yell:
  a. A pox upon your house, you gorbellied moldwarp!
  b. Ahhhhhh, see ya!
  c. Ahhhhhh, see ya; YOU LOSE.

ESSAY
Clap a steady beat for 4 bars and repeat without speeding up.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2006 04:41PM by pat.

Posted by: Tub(a) (---.wireless.pitt.edu)
Date: August 30, 2006 05:09PM

Winnabago
[q]They may also choose seats in Section F which is a general admission section.[/q]

Did anyone catch that? What does GA in ONE section accomplish?

Perhaps it is a test section to see how easy a GA section would be to manage for future ticket distribution systems...

Posted by: Dafatone (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: August 30, 2006 05:13PM

Couldn't they just take everyone interested in getting tickets, and make them wait overnight, and then have a lottery? This would result in a lot more people staying over, and therefore require a bigger room, maybe barton's main room.

But instead of staying overnight once you know you're guaranteed a ticket, you have to stay overnight in order to have a chance. A lot of lame "fans" will balk at the idea of doing the overnight without being guaranteed a ticket at the end, and this will weed out many of them.

Posted by: Liz '05 (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: August 30, 2006 06:38PM

pat
canuck89
.I still say an unannounced quiz on cornell hockey would reward the best fans with better numbers, and it is SAFE.
MULTIPLE CHOICE

2. RPI forward Tyler Eaves makes a hand pass in his own defensive zone. I should:
  a. Answer my cell phone.

3. Harvard defense Brian McCafferty is penalized for holding. As he's going to the box, I should yell:
  b. Ahhhhhh, see ya!

ESSAY

Nicely done. I especially like 3(a) :)

Date: August 30, 2006 07:10PM

Does anyone think any sort of protest would do any good? Granted, I'm a senior, which *hopefully* gives me a better chance at tickets. But they should really go to the deserving fans, not just anyone who wants to lottery...

Posted by: Ben Rocky '04 (---.tcsn.qwest.net)
Date: August 30, 2006 07:32PM

Aside from a quiz of Lynah knowledge, thats the best idea any one has put forth.

Date: August 30, 2006 07:33PM

pat
A pox upon your house, you gorbellied moldwarp!

Oh, we absolutely must add this to the repertoire.

Date: August 30, 2006 08:53PM

las224
Does anyone think any sort of protest would do any good?

No.

Date: August 30, 2006 09:01PM

KeithK
The hardest part about this (aside from increased prices for the die-hards) is that the AD doesn't know where the revenue maximizing price is. Experimenting has the potential to cause short term revenue loss.
Does Kohls know whether if they raise the price of a pair of socks they'll take a net loss on sock revenue? I do agree that Cornell athletics has the problem that hockey is a much larger percentage of revenue than Kohls socks. But, they have their history of selling tickets and they can compare what other barns charge to help them formulate the price point, not to mention that one could also argue the same thing about the AD's imperfect knowledge about the optimal price of season tickets. Finally, the premium they would be able to charge for Harvard and playoff* tickets might go a way towards absorbing the under-selling of those red hot Thanksgiving weekend Wayne State tickets.

* Edit: this is not an assumption that there will be home playoff games. Please take note, Woofing Gods.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2006 09:03PM by Trotsky.

Date: August 30, 2006 10:29PM

I'll second that "no."

On another note:
A senior as well, I'm not all that comfortable with the consecutive tickets idea. I seem to remember packs of about 20 freshman at once going down to the line or whatever it was in 2003-2004. If too many pre-register you can likely see entire freshman sections.

Re: Hockey Tickets 2006/7
Posted by: ebilmes (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: August 30, 2006 11:24PM

A lot of my freshmen friends have heard all the stories of Cornell hockey craziness and were all excited to camp out for tickets...until I told them the system had changed. There are also a lot of freshmen who know nothing about hockey who will be registering for tickets. As much as freshmen need to experience the games to pick up the cheers, etc., there is no way any of these people should get season tickets over an upperclassman who has had tickets in the past and knows what to do.

Any ticket distribution system needs to make sure that the most dedicated fans get tickets. I don't care if it's a cheering audition, written test, campout, whatever. The team will need all the fan support it can get this season, and it's not going to get that if the best fans are locked out.

Posted by: WillR (---.br1.glv.ny.frontiernet.net)
Date: August 31, 2006 12:14PM

Ben Rocky 04
Aside from a quiz of Lynah knowledge, thats the best idea any one has put forth.

Why not do all of them.

1. You must preregister with a quiz, a few things Cornell specific would be great as would some general hockey knowledge. Admittedly it's easy but at least it could force people to expose themselves to hockey knowlegde so they can better understand it from the beginning.

2. Camp out at Barton to considered eligble, you must have taken and gotten 100% on the quiz at preregistration.

2a. If AD insists on a lottery, throw the lottery in at this stage.

3. Then once the honor is earned from the above two completed tasks, still make the lucky winners spend a weekend camped out somewhere.

BTW, the idea of a scavenger hunt is great. We did one for grad week and had to take pictures of ourselves at various places on campus, find general trivia information, like rows of seats at Schoelkopf. It was a great way to see a few things at Cornell i hadn't seen before.

-WillR

Posted by: Dpperk29 (128.153.201.---)
Date: August 31, 2006 12:30PM

<rant>
can I ask a question?

what makes one fan more deserving than another? and does athletics(or the university as a whole) care if these "most deserving fans" get tickets over a bunch of "non-deserving fans?"

Think about it... Tickets are going to sell out, so why would Cornell University care who gets tickets and who doesn't? all they care about is selling out the arena, which they will most likely do every year for along time. Even if by some miracle the student sections didn't sell out, there are more than enough townies willing to pay significantly more for tickets than students that would fill in the holes.

Cornell doesn't care!

</rant>

Date: August 31, 2006 01:58PM

Dpperk29
<rant>
can I ask a question?

what makes one fan more deserving than another? and does athletics(or the university as a whole) care if these "most deserving fans" get tickets over a bunch of "non-deserving fans?"

Think about it... Tickets are going to sell out, so why would Cornell University care who gets tickets and who doesn't? all they care about is selling out the arena, which they will most likely do every year for along time. Even if by some miracle the student sections didn't sell out, there are more than enough townies willing to pay significantly more for tickets than students that would fill in the holes.

Cornell doesn't care!

</rant>

No, in the end they dont, because they know they can sit back and do nothing and it will still sell out. If this were their precious wrestling team, they'd put more into it.

Date: August 31, 2006 01:59PM

pat
canuck89
MULTIPLE CHOICE

a. Answer my cell phone.

b. Ahhhhhh, see ya!

ESSAY

Aren't all answers for #3 wrong?

Posted by: Jordan 04 (12.42.45.---)
Date: August 31, 2006 02:39PM

French Rage
pat
canuck89
MULTIPLE CHOICE

a. Answer my cell phone.

b. Ahhhhhh, see ya!

ESSAY

Yes. The answer is clearly "Ahhhhhh, see ya! You GOOTS!"

Posted by: RichH (216.195.201.---)
Date: August 31, 2006 02:51PM

French Rage
pat
canuck89
MULTIPLE CHOICE

a. Answer my cell phone.

b. Ahhhhhh, see ya!

ESSAY

No. (b) is correct.

Date: August 31, 2006 03:52PM

Jordan 04
French Rage
pat
canuck89
MULTIPLE CHOICE

a. Answer my cell phone.

b. Ahhhhhh, see ya!

ESSAY

Yes. The answer is clearly "Ahhhhhh, see ya! You GOOTS!"

GOOSE!!! or LOON!!!!! its all about the birds.

Posted by: DL (211.139.190.---)
Date: September 01, 2006 12:22AM

So how about a scavenger hunt with a point system? Big Bonus Points for each year you'd gotten season tickets prior. Maybe set aside section G tickets for weekly challenges, just to keep things rolling through the season.

Posted by: JasonN95 (---.nyc.deshaw.com)
Date: September 01, 2006 11:56AM

Dpperk29
and does athletics(or the university as a whole) care if these "most deserving fans" get tickets over a bunch of "non-deserving fans?"
I think Athletics does care; they tried different formulations over the past several years that, although in execution may have failed, at least seemed motivated with the intent of rewarding the most fanatical. I think they finally have run out of the strength to try to solve a problem that, frankly, the students bear much of the blame for. Collectively, there isn't enough honor/civility among the would-be student ticket buyers to use anything short of an elaborate and heavily policed process, and Athletics can't or wont go that far. Too many students are willing to try to "beat the system" rather than do what is fair; and I think that mentality probably only got worse as Athletics tried through more challenges and hurdles into the process. My freshman year was the year that the "student run" line broke down. A bunch of late arrivers disregarded the clearly established line and did the wrong thing; others saw this and followed suit. We can vent at Athletics, but we should also remember that much of the blame falls on students as well.

Posted by: Tom Lento (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: September 02, 2006 06:04PM

JasonN95
I think Athletics does care; they tried different formulations over the past several years that, although in execution may have failed, at least seemed motivated with the intent of rewarding the most fanatical. I think they finally have run out of the strength to try to solve a problem that, frankly, the students bear much of the blame for.

While I agree that some of the problems are a result of student behavior, I don't think Cornell Athletics was particularly interested in rewarding the most fanatical. Every permutation of the system involved increasing interest in the hockey line as an event - you'll camp out for 2 nights, indoors, and the hockey team will come and do a skills competition. And then you'll be allowed to go home at night, because they won't check line numbers again until 10 AM.

There are simple ways to manage the line. The simpler the system, the more likely it is to be effective, right up to the point where it's an open free-for-all, at which point it will break down. I think last year's system had the most unnecessary complexities of any ticket distribution system I've ever seen, and we saw how that turned out. If they set it up so that line numbers were distributed as soon as ~150 people got in line, and had tickets go on sale on Sunday at noon, and announced the time and place well in advance, and had enough staff on hand to handle the students who show up early, there wouldn't be any of this trouble, and no more than 50-100 people would miss any class because, let's face it, only a few people will bother sleeping on concrete (or vinyl tile, or whatever hard surface the Alberding floor is made of) for 2 nights for a hockey ticket.

Date: September 02, 2006 10:49PM

very much amused... :-D

Posted by: Trotsky (---.ashbva.adelphia.net)
Date: September 03, 2006 12:31AM

Thing is, if the priorities were:

1. Sell out the barn.
2. Weight in favor of upperclassmen.
3. Favor the true fans.

then they already had a working system in place... in 1981 (and probably much earlier).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login