Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

The Schafer system

Posted by Red Neophyte 
The Schafer system
Posted by: Red Neophyte (216.130.236.---)
Date: August 17, 2006 09:15AM

I was wondering if Coach Schafer will push for his usual strategy of grinding in the corners and boards or if he will try to open up the middle of the ice with the number of offensively minded forwards that we have. With loosing our large defenseman, I think we would want to stay away from potential injuries which the "ground and pound" can leave us vunerable to.

Former flat-lander and ignoramus of college hockey.

Re: The Schafer system
Posted by: redice (---.sub-70-193-170.myvzw.com)
Date: August 17, 2006 09:53AM

Like you, my first thought (upon the departure of O'Byrne & Polulok) was that perhaps Coach will open up their game a bit. We lost two defenseman who were key elements in helping the offense. So, in effect, we lost some key offensive potential, as well. I'm betting that he'll tighten up the defense to compensate for that loss. If we're successful this season, it will be Schafer's finest hour.

Posted by: cth95 (---.a-315.westelcom.com)
Date: August 17, 2006 10:00AM

Somewhat related: Since O'Byrne and Pokulok were running the point on the top two PP lines at the end of last year, I wonder how their losses will affect our powerplay. Krantz has a gun, so I imagine he will be called upon, but who else can fill that role?

Posted by: Liz '05 (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: August 17, 2006 10:07AM

I wonder if Seminoff could run a power play...was he even on them last year?

I mention him mostly because I don't think Glover is particularly offensively-minded. Then I looked at last year's stats. Seminoff 1g, 6a; Glover 3g, 2a. I no longer know what to think, because I can't remember the situations any of the goals came in.

Posted by: redice (---.sub-70-193-170.myvzw.com)
Date: August 17, 2006 10:10AM

Evan Salmela will probably get a shot at it.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: August 17, 2006 10:32AM

Liz '05

I mention him mostly because I don't think Glover is particularly offensively-minded. Then I looked at last year's stats. Seminoff 1g, 6a; Glover 3g, 2a. I no longer know what to think, because I can't remember the situations any of the goals came in.
Wasn't it Glover who came close to winning the Wisconsin game with a shot that was deflected by the goalie and then went off the cross-bar?

Posted by: Jordan 04 (12.42.45.---)
Date: August 17, 2006 12:22PM

Al DeFlorio
Liz '05

Wasn't it Glover who came close to winning the Wisconsin game with a shot that was deflected by the goalie and then went off the cross-bar?

Why, Al, Why??

I was having a pretty good day before that flashback... :-(
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2006 12:25PM by Jordan 04.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: August 17, 2006 08:30PM

If anything, the team's relative inexperience would usually cause Mike to rein it in and play extra cautiously. But with the new rules and the legacy of repeatedly getting outscored by HE and WCHA teams in the NC$$s, he may just go wild-ass crazy and aim for 3 goals per game. nut ;-)

Posted by: redhair34 (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: August 17, 2006 09:18PM

Liz '05

Seminoff was consistently on the point w/ Pokulok last year on the second unit. He looked a little out of place at times on the PP last year, but I wouldn't be suprised to see him on the first unit this season. I am a big fan of Seminoff and think he could really come into his own this season. By the end of the year I won't be at all suprised if he emerges as our most valuable defensemen.

Date: August 17, 2006 11:05PM

I remember seeing him out there now. My money (not that I have any) is on Seminoff and Krantz.

Posted by: Ronald '09 (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: August 17, 2006 11:55PM

doesn't putting seminoff on the power play guarentee that the pp will turn into a 4 on 4?

Posted by: Dafatone (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: August 18, 2006 02:53AM

Seminoff, from what I remember, had some offensive skill. He just had a tendency to shoot far too often for a pointman on the PP.

Toward the end of the year, he got somewhat better. One of the two OT goals against Clarkson in the ECAC's came when Seminoff faked a shot and passed near the net. At least, that's what I remember.

Posted by: Beeeej (38.136.58.---)
Date: August 18, 2006 10:05AM

Dafatone
Seminoff, from what I remember, had some offensive skill. He just had a tendency to shoot far too often for a pointman on the PP.

...which will make him very popular with some people.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: DisplacedCornellian (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: August 18, 2006 10:41AM

Beeeej
Dafatone

SHOOOOOT! comeon, just shoot the puck!!;-)

Posted by: Cactus12 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 18, 2006 11:18AM

Sarcasm aside... shooting the puck in college hockey (good shots or not) scores goals, as opposed to passing back and forth at the blue line until it jumps over someone's stick and clears the zone. I always leave the games bitching about how the other teams goals were garbage... this season, we may need some garbage goals.

Date: August 18, 2006 11:21AM

Dafatone

Toward the end of the year, he got somewhat better. One of the two OT goals against Clarkson in the ECAC's came when Seminoff faked a shot and passed near the net. At least, that's what I remember.

That's correct. It was the second game, on Moulson's double OT winner versus Clarkson last season he faked a shot from the point, skated in and found Moulson unchecked in the low slot.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2006 11:57AM by redhair34.

Posted by: ugarte (---.axiomlegal.com)
Date: August 18, 2006 11:38AM

I'm not the sort of person to notice these things most of the time, but...

Dafatone

redhair34
Dafatone

That's correct, but by the end of the season he was getting better in this regard. On Moulson's double OT winner versus Clarkson last season he faked a shot from the point, skated in and found Moulson unchecked in the low slot.

Did you just not read to the end of Dafatone's opus, redhair? (Insert whatever smiley you think makes me look least like an asshole.)

Posted by: DisplacedCornellian (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: August 18, 2006 11:45AM

ugarte
(Insert whatever smiley you think makes me look least like an asshole.)

asshole

Date: August 18, 2006 11:54AM

ugarte
Did you just not read to the end of Dafatone's opus, redhair? (Insert whatever smiley you think makes me look least like an asshole.)

Haha oops smashfreak. I fixed my post to make it somewhat helpful/useful ;-) .
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2006 12:00PM by redhair34.

Date: August 18, 2006 11:58AM

DisplacedCornellian
ugarte
(Insert whatever smiley you think makes me look least like an asshole.)

asshole
That's the one!

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: August 18, 2006 12:12PM

Beeeej
Dafatone

PIX! PIX! PIX!...

Date: August 18, 2006 12:44PM

KeithK
PIX! PIX! PIX!...
Ah. Nostalgia.

Posted by: Beeeej (38.136.58.---)
Date: August 18, 2006 03:15PM

Cactus12
Sarcasm aside... shooting the puck in college hockey (good shots or not) scores goals

Absolutely. As the Great One says, "100% of the shots you don't take don't go in."

On the other hand, constantly yelling, "SHOOT!" on the power play demonstrates that you (and I mean "you" generally, not "Cactus12";) have absolutely no concept of what works on the power play. In nineteen seasons of Cornell hockey I remember thinking fewer than ten times that there was no good reason for not shooting on our power play, where it seemed we were just being timid. All the other times, I trusted that the guys on the ice knew what the situation was better than I did. This was especially true last season when we just weren't cycling the puck well on the PP, and almost every team we played adjusted their PK to be much more aggressive, making it harder for us even to have the opportunity to shoot.

The Lake Superior State fan idiots behind me at this year's Frozen Four kept on shouting, "SHOOT!" on the power play even after poor shot selection resulted in a shorthanded goal. I wanted to dump my nachos all over them. (Instead, I showed them photos of ugarte having sex with lemmings. That shut them up pretty quickly.)

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: August 18, 2006 03:24PM

Beeeej
(Instead, I showed them photos of ugarte having sex with lemmings. That shut them up pretty quickly.)
It is my understanding that it is very, very hard to look away.

Posted by: Cactus12 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 18, 2006 04:10PM

Yeah, definitely. I was really referring to this past season... calling the PP ineffective would be an understatement in my opinion. I think a large part of the problem was the lack of a forward (some may call it a "lack of Hynes";) setting up in front of the net and drawing one of the penalty killers away from our guys down low or the puck. The result, few opportunities and even fewer shots.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: August 18, 2006 06:13PM

ugarte
KeithK
PIX! PIX! PIX!...
Ah. Nostalgia.

Speaking of which, isn't it obvious in retrospect that the chicks on The Magic Garden were lesbians?

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: August 18, 2006 06:23PM

jtwcornell91
ugarte
KeithK
PIX! PIX! PIX!...
Ah. Nostalgia.

Speaking of which, isn't it obvious in retrospect that the chicks on The Magic Garden were lesbians?
You (and anyone in the New York area) should try to see this show before it finishes its run at the NY Fringe Festival.

Date: August 18, 2006 08:16PM

Awooga, awooga, thread drift, thread drift...

Posted by: Red Neophyte (216.130.236.---)
Date: August 21, 2006 08:56AM

Let's get this thread back on topic! help Anyone want to respond to my original post...other than redice, of course, since he did not loose direction.:-P

Former flat-lander and ignoramus of college hockey.

Date: August 21, 2006 10:16AM

That's a good question. I can't imagine Shafer would ever get away from having his forwards play solid, two-way hockey. However, if our defensemen prove that they are disciplined and avoid giving up odd-man rushes from pinching too much, the forwards may be given a little more freedom than they have in the past. I agree with redice that Shafer will play more conservatively at first. I think the team will have to earn the right to open up the game by showing it can play with few mistakes.

Once these guys have learned the ropes for 07-08 and 08-09, on the other hand......The Big Red Rockets? :-D

(no South Park-related pun intended)

Date: August 21, 2006 01:27PM

There are few premium offensive prospects, and the large majority of them commit to the Canadian major juniors long before they come into NCAA recruiting sights. Of the handful of college-bound blue chip scorers, a fraction have the grades to get into Cornell, and the ability to stay afloat once there. So we aren't talking about a river of offensive genius streaming into Lynah, even if Schafer snaps his finger and decides to change the character of the team.

The System works, and I'd expect tweaks, rather than a radical departure.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login