Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

O'Byrne goes pro

Posted by icecoldJB 
O'Byrne goes pro
Posted by: icecoldJB (---.BING.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 10, 2006 10:36AM

Thought this deserved its own thread with the Sasha thread getting real long.

Ryan O'Byrne signed with the Canadiens.

[www.canadiens.com]

The hits just keep on comming. Guess that "A" wasn't enough to keep him on the hill. Good luck Ryan!

Re: O'Byrne goes pro
Posted by: Ben Rocky '04 (---.tcsn.qwest.net)
Date: August 10, 2006 11:49AM

Oh no!! He signed with the Habs twice in two days? twitch

Posted by: ursusminor (---.nrl.navy.mil)
Date: August 10, 2006 11:59AM

icecoldJB
The hits just keep on comming. Guess that "A" wasn't enough to keep him on the hill. Good luck Ryan!
I couldn't blame for leaving if he played for BU where the letter "A" is scarlet. rolleyes

Posted by: Cactus12 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 10, 2006 04:50PM

I think we should start posting flyers around campus... "WANTED- Hockey Defensemen, Experience Preferred, Inquire at Athletic Office"
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2006 04:50PM by Cactus12.

Posted by: Liz '05 (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: August 10, 2006 06:50PM

I realize this was a joke, but does anyone think a walk-on dman could make the team this year?
We had trouble last year finding enough defensemen to suit up when the team was hit badly by injuries and, realistically, this year will be the same. Who might play back? Would we borrow club players? How does everyone think the team will adapt?

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.caltech.edu)
Date: August 10, 2006 07:01PM

Liz '05
I realize this was a joke, but does anyone think a walk-on dman could make the team this year?
We had trouble last year finding enough defensemen to suit up when the team was hit badly by injuries and, realistically, this year will be the same. Who might play back? Would we borrow club players? How does everyone think the team will adapt?

Or is it even possible that the Devins come this year as one of them is a d-man?

Date: August 10, 2006 07:02PM

That was the question I forgot - do we have D recruits that we can pull in early a la Dave McKee? And is it wise to bring them?

Posted by: calgARI '07 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: August 10, 2006 07:28PM

Way too late to get anyone in for this fall. They are stuck with seven defensemen. There is basically no way the coaching staff would even consider a walk-on.

Posted by: Rich S (12.162.105.---)
Date: August 10, 2006 07:37PM

Yes it is pretty late but would they not consider a walk-on if it was the right walk on based on talent?

It may take a stroke of luck but it's possible that a player who wasn't recruited or who had decided to play another year of juniors or prep could hear about the need for a D man and contact the coaching staff.

Posted by: Robb (68.171.152.---)
Date: August 10, 2006 10:39PM

J-frosh, on the other hand...

Posted by: Will (---.redrover.cornell.edu)
Date: August 10, 2006 11:09PM

Robb
J-frosh, on the other hand...

Theoretically, if we somehow got a J-frosh, would he use up an entire year of NCAA eligibility by starting to play in January, or would it only be a half-year?

Posted by: ithacat (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: August 10, 2006 11:51PM

It's got to be way too late to get someone through, but if it could be done there are still good prospects out there. It actually would be an opportunity to swoop in a grab someone who thought they were going to wait.

Academic preparation aside, here's some interesting ones:
Ryan Wagner, Penticton, BCHL. (could Justin Krueger help out?)
Luke Brisebois, Notre Dame, SJHL. (could Blake Gallagher help out...or Sasha?)
Cam Cooper, Tri-City, USHL. Formerly of Holy Angels. (could incoming lax recruit Ryan Hurley, captain of last year's HA's hockey team help out?)
Mike Cornell, Walpole, EJHL. (with that last name?)

There's others as well, but it's so late...it's got to be impossible -- admissions, financial aid, etc.

A kid I'd love to see Cornell steal would be Kevin Quick. He's an '88 from Buffalo who's at Salisbury Prep -- of course I have no idea if he's qualified and truly prepping or if he's finishing his studies. Quick was drafted 78th in this year's draft.

Posted by: French Rage (---.Stanford.EDU)
Date: August 11, 2006 02:22AM

Is it too late to bring Starchiski back? :-D

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Date: August 11, 2006 09:06AM

ithacat
It's got to be way too late to get someone through, but if it could be done there are still good prospects out there. It actually would be an opportunity to swoop in a grab someone who thought they were going to wait.

Academic preparation aside, here's some interesting ones:
Ryan Wagner, Penticton, BCHL. (could Justin Krueger help out?)
Luke Brisebois, Notre Dame, SJHL. (could Blake Gallagher help out...or Sasha?)
Cam Cooper, Tri-City, USHL. Formerly of Holy Angels. (could incoming lax recruit Ryan Hurley, captain of last year's HA's hockey team help out?)
Mike Cornell, Walpole, EJHL. (with that last name?)
Has Brisebois gotten over his injury that caused him to miss most of last season?

Posted by: Pete Godenschwager (---.chem.cornell.edu)
Date: August 11, 2006 09:53AM

Here's an article in today's Ithaca Journal about O'Byrne with quotes from Schafer:

[www.ithacajournal.com]

Posted by: bothman (---.allfirst.com)
Date: August 11, 2006 10:35AM

Don't you think Cornell could get the Devin who is a defenseman to possibly enroll early? He was a senior and did graduate so I am assuming that there aren't any academic issues relating to his spending a year in the BCHL.

May not be ideal given his readiness aftyer playing in a relatively weak Catholic league, but with 7 defenseman on the roster, unless Schafer can get a forward to play some defense, Cornell is really going to be playing with fire next year on the blue line.

Posted by: pfibiger (---.com)
Date: August 11, 2006 11:10AM

bothman
Don't you think Cornell could get the Devin who is a defenseman to possibly enroll early? He was a senior and did graduate so I am assuming that there aren't any academic issues relating to his spending a year in the BCHL.

May not be ideal given his readiness aftyer playing in a relatively weak Catholic league, but with 7 defenseman on the roster, unless Schafer can get a forward to play some defense, Cornell is really going to be playing with fire next year on the blue line.

I think it'd be tough to get Mike to enroll a year early (I am pretty sure they're both already admitted, so that's not an issue), leaving Joe stranded in British Columbia :) If we could bring them both early maybe it'd work, but we're already overbooked at forward for next year. I guess that's the problem with recruiting twins.

That said, Bitz played some defense last year when we were hit hard w/ injuries, I could see him moving to the blueline either on spot duty or maybe for the year.

Date: August 11, 2006 11:37AM

bothman

I didn't want to say it here, but since you have chimed in, perhaps Cornell could get Chris Huxley to change his mind again. :-P :-D

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: August 11, 2006 12:13PM

ursaminor
I didn't want to say it here, but since you have chimed in, perhaps Cornell could get Chris Huxley to change his mind again. :-P :-D
He belongs at Harvard.:-P

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2006 12:41PM by Al DeFlorio.

Posted by: bothman (---.allfirst.com)
Date: August 11, 2006 12:14PM

Possibly, but as a puck-moving defenseman, I don't think Chris would subscribe to Cornell's clutch and grab style of play.....:-D

Posted by: ithacat (128.253.193.---)
Date: August 11, 2006 12:46PM

ursaminor
Has Brisebois gotten over his injury that caused him to miss most of last season?

I think he played in all their playoff games.

Posted by: ithacat (128.253.193.---)
Date: August 11, 2006 12:49PM

bothman
Possibly, but as a puck-moving defenseman, I don't think Chris would subscribe to Cornell's clutch and grab style of play.....:-D

Do you want to look pretty or win some NCAA games? B-]

Date: August 11, 2006 02:21PM

ithacat
bothman

Do you want to look pretty or win some NCAA games? B-]
"Some?" nut

Re: O'Byrne goes pro (we're hosed)
Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: August 11, 2006 09:12PM

At Cornell's level, it's unlikely there are players of this caliber lurking on campus. It does happen; one of the top ten football teams (top twenty) last year, the placekicker was a walk-on.

You run out of defensemen, a big forward drops back, and that's that. Bitz already knows about playing the point when it's 6-on-5.

If I read not too much into Schafer's quote in the Journal about O'Byrne being the most-ready-for-the-pros player he's seen this year, he's saying maybe Pokulok or McKee shouldn't have jumped? Or that if they jumped, it's easy to see why Ryan did, too.

All of a sudden, I think the Final Four is going to be a challenge. Maybe the ECAC Final Four in Albany?

Some of us said the MVP of every Cornell team the last couple years is the coach. Now we'll see.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 11, 2006 09:58PM

[Q]All of a sudden, I think the Final Four is going to be a challenge. Maybe the ECAC Final Four in Albany? [/Q]

The (ahem) Frozen Four is always a challenge. Every single year for every team ever. It was a challenge in 2003... you remember that 2 OT game against BC, right?

This year, Albany will be a challenge. A conference bye could be a challenge. Our team could certainly come together very well, or it could also be a rebuilding/maturing year.

I wouldn't be surprised if we were among the tops in the ECAC. I also wouldn't be suprised if we were hosting games the first post-season weekend. It'd probably be better for the ECAC if it were the latter.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2006 09:59PM by DeltaOne81.

Date: August 11, 2006 10:09PM

DeltaOne81
[Q]All of a sudden, I think the Final Four is going to be a challenge. Maybe the ECAC Final Four in Albany? [/Q]

The (ahem) Frozen Four is always a challenge. Every single year for every team ever. It was a challenge in 2003... you remember that 2 OT game against BC, right?

This year, Albany will be a challenge. A conference bye could be a challenge. Our team could certainly come together very well, or it could also be a rebuilding/maturing year.

I wouldn't be surprised if we were among the tops in the ECAC. I also wouldn't be suprised if we were hosting games the first post-season weekend. It'd probably be better for the ECAC if it were the latter.

So far, no one on eLynah has been reduced to saying, "I hear the basketball team is going to be competitive." That's right up there with "She's got a great personality" or "I hear he earns a comfortable living."

Date: August 11, 2006 11:36PM

billhoward
DeltaOne81

So far, no one on eLynah has been reduced to saying, "I hear the basketball team is going to be competitive." That's right up there with "She's got a great personality" or "I hear he earns a comfortable living."

Well, I say "look at 2004". With those losses, we still came is 2nd in the regaular season. Part of it was the weak ECAC that year, but the other part is Schafer just has a good system.

Posted by: Oat (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: August 12, 2006 01:11AM

Alright guys, I'm not worried one bit! :-/
We're gonna beat union in the ECAC final this year and then sweep the NCAA tournament shutting out every single opponent. yark

Date: August 12, 2006 02:01AM

Oat
Alright guys, I'm not worried one bit! :-/
We're gonna beat union in the ECAC final this year and then sweep the NCAA tournament shutting out every single opponent. yark

Oddly, the most unlikely thing in this prediction is Union making it to the ECAC finals. :-P

Posted by: calgARI '07 (---.direcpc.com)
Date: August 12, 2006 11:56AM

As others have said, there are not DI caliber defensemen just walking around campus. The best undergraduate hockey player at Cornell who is not on the team is well below the worst player on the team. Even if for some ridiculous reason they took one, he would never come close to dressing unless there was an emergency injury situation.
Bottom line, the blueline is in serious trouble.

Posted by: ebilmes (---.37.16.200.adsl.snet.net)
Date: August 12, 2006 12:52PM

Can Schafer play? help

Posted by: Cop at Lynah (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: August 12, 2006 02:30PM

Schafer is out recruiting for another defenseman as I write this. I would not bet against him in securing a defenseman for this season. There is not a more dedicated/detrmined coach than Mike, and knowing what the need is, I'm sure he will find a solution soon.

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: August 13, 2006 01:43AM

Cop at Lynah
Schafer is out recruiting for another defenseman as I write this. I would not bet against him in securing a defenseman for this season. There is not a more dedicated/detrmined coach than Mike, and knowing what the need is, I'm sure he will find a solution soon.

Our motto is, as always, In Schafer We Trust.

Posted by: A-ron (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: August 13, 2006 02:46AM

I say we clone Topher. Who's up for a "Let's clone Topher" chant at the red/white game?

Posted by: DisplacedCornellian (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: August 13, 2006 10:05AM

A-ron
I say we clone Topher. Who's up for a "Let's clone Topher" chant at the red/white game?

But what is something goes wrong and we end up with a mini-Topher!

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 13, 2006 10:35AM

DisplacedCornellian
A-ron

Then you put mini-Topher on offense and move Topher back to the blueline. Defense fits his personality better anyway.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: August 13, 2006 12:14PM

ugarte
DisplacedCornellian
A-ron

Then you put mini-Topher on offense and move Topher back to the blueline. Defense fits his personality better anyway.

I thought you were going to say put the mini-Topher on the shoulders of the regular Topher, wrap a jersey around the whole thing, and then put it on the blue line.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: August 13, 2006 04:51PM

jtwcornell91
I thought you were going to say put the mini-Topher on the shoulders of the regular Topher, wrap a jersey around the whole thing, and then put it on the blue line.

Then his jersey wouldn't be down to his knees! Still some arm length issues, but I say the fact that the double-Topher would finally fit in the jersey makes the cloning worth it :)

"It was the hardest decision of my life to leave"
Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: August 13, 2006 05:22PM

Saturday's Ithaca Journal has an interview and discussion
[www.theithacajournal.com]

[q]...He went from being a favorite whipping boy of the Cornell hockey bloggers to one of the most respected, and dependable, members of the team in his three years on East Hill...[/q]

Re: "It was the hardest decision of my life to leave"
Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: August 13, 2006 09:33PM

David Harding
Saturday's Ithaca Journal has an interview and discussion
[www.theithacajournal.com]

[q]...He went from being a favorite whipping boy of the Cornell hockey bloggers to one of the most respected, and dependable, members of the team in his three years on East Hill...[/q]

I can't deny it.

Re: "It was the hardest decision of my life to leave"
Posted by: Oat (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: August 13, 2006 10:38PM

When he was bad, he was really really bad. twitch

When he was good though, I could barely control myself. nut

Date: August 14, 2006 09:50AM

A-ron

He already was. There just wasn't enough material to make two full-size ones.

Posted by: duffs4 (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: August 14, 2006 10:02AM

[q]As others have said, there are not DI caliber defensemen just walking around campus. The best undergraduate hockey player at Cornell who is not on the team is well below the worst player on the team. Even if for some ridiculous reason they took one, he would never come close to dressing unless there was an emergency injury situation.
Bottom line, the blueline is in serious trouble.[/q]

I think you might be supprised. As most people can affirm Sam Paolini certainly turned out to be worthy of a d1 spot.

Posted by: calgARI '07 (---.direcpc.com)
Date: August 14, 2006 11:59AM

duffs4
[q]As others have said, there are not DI caliber defensemen just walking around campus. The best undergraduate hockey player at Cornell who is not on the team is well below the worst player on the team. Even if for some ridiculous reason they took one, he would never come close to dressing unless there was an emergency injury situation.
Bottom line, the blueline is in serious trouble.[/q]

I think you might be supprised. As most people can affirm Sam Paolini certainly turned out to be worthy of a d1 spot.

Paolini was a recruited walk-on. He didn't just show up at school and try out for the team. He had offers from other schools. There aren't DI guys just hanging around campus hoping to walk-on.

Posted by: duffs4 (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: August 14, 2006 02:20PM

[q]Paolini was a recruited walk-on[/q]

Sounds like an oxymoron to me. Stranger things have happened.

Posted by: RichS (12.162.105.---)
Date: August 14, 2006 02:21PM

calgARI '07
duffs4

Paolini was a recruited walk-on. He didn't just show up at school and try out for the team. He had offers from other schools. There aren't DI guys just hanging around campus hoping to walk-on.

Does your opinion refer only to the cornell campus or all D1 programs in general?

Posted by: ugarte (---.axiomlegal.com)
Date: August 14, 2006 03:01PM

duffs4

It isn't as uncommon as it sounds. Players are told that there isn't a spot on the team but they will be given a chance to earn the spot if they come to the school. It is a weird bargain for the players but some choose to trade certain PT at a small program for a shot at a better one. I'd like to think that the fallback position if you don't make the team is an Ivy League degree would make Cornell an easier sell for that deal but I'd guess that most people would rather have guaranteed ice time and, in most situations, a free education.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: August 14, 2006 03:45PM

ugarte
duffs4

It isn't as uncommon as it sounds. Players are told that there isn't a spot on the team but they will be given a chance to earn the spot if they come to the school. It is a weird bargain for the players but some choose to trade certain PT at a small program for a shot at a better one. I'd like to think that the fallback position if you don't make the team is an Ivy League degree would make Cornell an easier sell for that deal but I'd guess that most people would rather have guaranteed ice time and, in most situations, a free education.

You'd think it happens more often at a place like Cornell where recruited players aren't getting scholarships either.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: August 14, 2006 03:56PM

[Q]There aren't DI guys just hanging around campus hoping to walk-on.[/Q]

I don't necessarily agree with that... there are some guys (maybe not thinking pro-sports before college) who have significant talent, but just haven't played in highly recruited junior leagues or were not interested in going to college for sports. It happens in football all the time. Wayne Chrebet, as a completely random example, was a complete walk-on for Hofstra football, then went undrafted to the NY Jets. Doesn't happen very often... but it definitely happens.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2006 03:57PM by Cactus12.

Posted by: Steve M (---.fluor.com)
Date: August 15, 2006 05:42PM

Sigh. This year's losses to the pros and graduation are starting to rival those of 2003. Good thing the NC schedule is easy this year. Good way for the freshmen to get their feet wet with the heavy load of responsibility they will have.

Date: August 15, 2006 07:52PM

Steve M
Sigh. This year's losses to the pros and graduation are starting to rival those of 2003. Good thing the NC schedule is easy this year. Good way for the freshmen to get their feet wet with the heavy load of responsibility they will have.

Something happen to the icemaking plant during renovations? This is how rumors get started.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: August 16, 2006 11:57AM

Anybody care to take a shot at the 06-07 blueline pairings?

Date: August 16, 2006 03:25PM

Seminoff-Glover for the first pair i would think

Posted by: DCF '94 (---.hsd1.nh.comcast.net)
Date: August 16, 2006 04:00PM

I think that the pairings may be:

Glover - Seminoff
Krantz - Davenport
Krueger - Nash

I think that the odd man out is Salmela right now but if he plays then its Davenport. The freshman both play a lot right away.

Date: August 16, 2006 04:08PM

I think switch Davenport with Salmela at this point.

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: August 17, 2006 12:48PM

Do you think he'll use two freshman at the point at the same time? My guess he'll start them with an upperclassman for a while and once they get the system down, then maybe pair them up.

Posted by: Tub(a) (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: August 17, 2006 05:13PM

At least this isn't just happening to Cornell, Kessel just signed with the Bruins.

I really thought with that year of experience he was ready to finally lead the Gophers to victory over Holy Cross laugh

Date: August 17, 2006 08:27PM

Going from the Gophers to the Bruins is a demotion. B-]

Date: August 17, 2006 08:41PM

Trotsky
Lucrative, however.

Posted by: cth95 (---.a-315.westelcom.com)
Date: August 17, 2006 11:06PM

Maybe now that Sinden is gone we will be able to start a new era.

At least I can hope so.

Date: August 18, 2006 01:10PM

Al DeFlorio
Trotsky
Lucrative, however.
Who knows how much Minnesota pays? laugh

Date: August 18, 2006 01:45PM

Trotsky
Al DeFlorio
Trotsky
Lucrative, however.
True. For a Kessel, a full ride--at least.

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.caltech.edu)
Date: August 18, 2006 01:51PM

Al DeFlorio
Trotsky
Al DeFlorio
Trotsky
Lucrative, however.
True. For a Kessel, a full ride--at least.

Plus free getting in to a bar underage along with free drinks there!

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: August 18, 2006 01:52PM

Trotsky
Al DeFlorio
Trotsky
Lucrative, however.
I hear Kessel was getting $500+k from the Gophers and that the program will soon be suspended indefinitely for violations of NC$$ rules. Well, not really. But it would be a fun rumor.

Posted by: Beeeej (38.136.58.---)
Date: August 18, 2006 03:16PM

KeithK
I hear Kessel was getting $500+k from the Gophers and that the program will soon be suspended indefinitely for violations of NC$$ rules.

I'll PM you for details.

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Rich S (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 18, 2006 07:49PM

not as long as the Jacobs family owns the franchise.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login