Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

OT- when did the Greek House close?

Posted by upperdeck 
OT- when did the Greek House close?
Posted by: upperdeck (---.syr.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 25, 2006 07:27PM

havent been by for a couple weeks and noticed today its gone.. anyone know if it was a closure or a retirement thing?

Re: OT- when did the Greek House close?
Posted by: L-J (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: July 26, 2006 07:39PM

The family is focusing on their other business ventures (real estate/student rentals) from what I understand.

Business had been dwindling at the restuarant for quite some time and they were planning to close when they did.

I have always been a Souvlaki House fan myself, but there isn't really a breakfast-all-day diner in C-town anymore.

L-J

Posted by: JasonN95 (---.nyc.deshaw.com)
Date: July 27, 2006 03:14PM

Ack!

Horrible, horrible news. Every trip to Ithaca for my family includes a meal at the Greek House. Add it to the list of personally painful losses from C-town: Little Joes --where my wife and I had our first date (dinner at Little Joe's followed by a Cornell hockey game) and The Chariot (for the corn nuggets). With the Greek House gone, and the Turk Bro's (not so) recent departure, there are no remaining reasons for me to go to C-town anymore (can't be taking my kids to Dunbar's or the Palms).

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.raytheon.com)
Date: July 27, 2006 03:35PM

L-J
I have always been a Souvlaki House fan myself, but there isn't really a breakfast-all-day diner in C-town anymore.

CTB's about the only choice, if you don't mind your breakfast on a bagel (or in a wrap). Agreed though, that that was the main reason I would drop by Greek House. Oh well.

Posted by: Ben Rocky '04 (---.tcsn.qwest.net)
Date: July 27, 2006 07:12PM

I guess they are more from my time.... but Rulloff's has very decent food, as do Souvlaki House and Aladdin’s, and The Nines pizza is quite tasty.

The Vietnamese place just up Dryden Road from the Johnny's Big Red sign is also good, as is the Korean place between the corner and the former Bear Lodge.

I regret to say that I’ve never actually been to Greek House….. so I guess I can’t compare.

Posted by: Beeeej (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: July 27, 2006 11:08PM

I miss Sa's - especially Mrs. Fe, who, once you'd ordered a sandwich once, remembered for the rest of your visits there what "your" sandwich was, and recited it as soon as you walked through the door.

Beeeej (X-er, extra russian)

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (Moderator)
Date: July 28, 2006 04:03AM

JasonN95
The Chariot (for the corn nuggets).

At least The Nines inherited those. But the Chariot had a better atmosphere and faster service.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Posted by: Lauren '06 (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: July 28, 2006 10:57AM

jtwcornell91
JasonN95
The Chariot (for the corn nuggets).

At least The Nines inherited those. But the Chariot had a better atmosphere and faster service.
I... must respectfully disagree. Every time I went to the Chariot, I knew I'd have to set aside at least three hours. One before they'd take the order, one to receive the order, and one to receive the bill. Even if there was no one else in the building. Actually maybe that was the problem.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: July 28, 2006 04:56PM

I always got instant service at the Chariot, no matter how busy it was. OTOH, I'd known members of the staff for 20 years.

In fact, I was probably one of the people getting served ahead of you. :-}

Date: July 28, 2006 04:58PM

DeltaOne81
CTB's about the only choice, if you don't mind your breakfast on a bagel (or in a wrap). Agreed though, that that was the main reason I would drop by Greek House. Oh well.
CTB is anathema to those of us who remember Olivers.

BOO! creepy conveyer-belt bagel factory.

HOORAY beer!

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.airproducts.com)
Date: July 30, 2006 10:47PM

CTB was great when it was in the little hole in the wall shop next door to Ruloff's. When it went big-time, it went downhill.

I also remember Juana's Cantina - a small take out Mexican place at the top of Buffalo St. They knew my regular order when I walked in th door.

When I was a student, there were no restaurants on the 100 block of Dryden Rd. And Johnny's was the only one on the 200 block. I guess that makes me old.

Date: August 01, 2006 12:54PM

Jeff Hopkins '82
I also remember Juana's Cantina - a small take out Mexican place at the top of Buffalo St. They knew my regular order when I walked in th door.

Juana's relocated to the Ithaca Commons. Last time I was there it was still good, but all the atmosphere of that tiny little divey shack was gone. :`(

Posted by: Tom Lento (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: August 01, 2006 06:30PM

Trotsky
Juana's relocated to the Ithaca Commons. Last time I was there it was still good, but all the atmosphere of that tiny little divey shack was gone. :`(

Are you referring to Viva? I didn't know they were up the hill originally, but then there's no reason why I would know that.

There is a Juna's on the Commons now, but that's a coffee shop, and has been for several years.

Date: August 01, 2006 08:46PM

Tom Lento
There is a Juna's on the Commons now, but that's a coffee shop, and has been for several years.

I coulda sworn Juana's Cantina did some time down in the "Large, ugly, awkward, multi-purpose business facility that formerly went by the name of Center Ithaca and has never been profitable." But you're beginning to erode my confidence in my memory.

Well, you among other things...

Posted by: peterg (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: August 01, 2006 08:47PM

Juana's is, sadly, long gone.

Posted by: Tom Lento (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: August 02, 2006 12:56AM

Trotsky
Tom Lento

I coulda sworn Juana's Cantina did some time down in the "Large, ugly, awkward, multi-purpose business facility that formerly went by the name of Center Ithaca and has never been profitable." But you're beginning to erode my confidence in my memory.

Well, you among other things...

Juna's the coffee shop is not in Center Ithaca, and it's entirely possible that Juana's was there before it (like many businesses in Center Ithaca) went under.

I was mainly wondering if Viva had undergone a name change at some point. :)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login