Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Current Team Members In Pro Prospect Camps - JULY '06

Posted by rmandel 
Current Team Members In Pro Prospect Camps - JULY '06
Posted by: rmandel (72.54.9.---)
Date: July 10, 2006 05:25PM

Observation by the Hockey's Future beat writer from Atlanta Thrashers prospect camp:

62 Carefoot – Smooth and fast skater, but not the best shooter.

I hope I got this right. ;-)

Re: Current Team Members In Pro Prospect Camps - JULY '06
Posted by: pfibiger (---.com)
Date: July 10, 2006 07:07PM

From HF Boards re: Montreal's camp:

a) Always impressed how O'Byrne's skating looks great for a guy that size. He's just huge out there, not only is he the tallest but definately fills his size as well. There's obviously some improvement as far as his agility is concerned but nevertheless I'm a fan of his.

Posted by: pfibiger (---.com)
Date: July 11, 2006 03:02PM

More on Montreal's second day, quotes stolen from various HF posters:

3- At the same exercise, the funnier and most interesting battle was between O'Byrne and Gleed. O'Byrne nailed Gleed the first time, something that really looked like an uneven battle. Well, they did it again, and Gleed owned O'Byrne so hard, O'Byrne fell down hard and Gleed had fun skating with O'Byrne on his back....

4- I don't think it was Price greatest day. There was some scrimmages where there's 3 guys fighting for a puck, everyone for himself, 2 goalies, you shoot wherever you want, 2 nets were along the boards inside a blue line. Anyway, Price got owned badly by....O'Byrne! Made 2 incredible stops though on somebody else. It wasn't a bad day but not a great one either. Didn't look at Lacasse that much.

7- Is it me or Jon Gleed just looks like he could be a good player. Doesn't do anything exceptionnally well, but just seems to have some kind of presence about him.

10- I just have a hockey man crush on O'Byrne, skates well, great passes, obviously looks like a man amongst boys.

Wow ... I've been so impress by O'Byrne !!! He's big , agile , good speed , good hand ...

- O'Byrne: Big guy. Skates well. Needs a bit of work on puck control, but seems like he's developing a booming shot.

D'agostini, O'Byrne and Aubin definitely looked to be among the most mature out there...O'byrne is big and fast and agile.

Good post. Absolutely right. O'Byrne is the most impressive but Aubin and D'Ago are great as well. Again I like Gleed despite some footwork problem and some puck handling problems. But you have to love how he responded in this 1 on 1 challenge with O'Byrne, this received the most cheers from the crowd all day. Loved some Mikus moves today. Some kids made great moves when they were skating from one end to another and close to the blue line they had to do a move on a coach that was standing there doing a little move to get the puck away from them. Maxwell and Mikus looked smart with the puck.Again' O'Byrne with nome nifty moves as well during that exercise.

Posted by: ugarte (---.isp.broadviewnet.net)
Date: July 11, 2006 03:12PM

Anyone write anything about McKee? (I keed. I keed.)

Date: July 12, 2006 09:08AM

Thrasher camp - Day 4 Observation from HF poster.

"Mitch Carefoot: Brutal pass."

OT: Article on Dartmouth's Grant Lewis

[hockeysfuture.com]

"About a year ago, the Thrashers said that they would like to see Lewis turn pro early, mostly due to the lack of games that Ivy League teams play."

Posted by: The Rancor (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 13, 2006 02:33PM

from hockeysfuture.com

Tony Romano, C -- N.Y. Bobcats (AJHL)
7th pick, 6th round, 178th overall

The Devils more often than not draft more than one player from the NCAA, or a player that is NCAA-bound. In the sixth round, they added a second collegiate bound player when they took undersized but offensively gifted center Tony Romano from the New York Bobcats of the Atlantic Junior Hockey League. Romano will be suiting up for the Big Red in Cornell starting in 2006-07.

The 5’10, 170 lb Romano lit up the AJHL to a tune of 50 goals and 52 assists for a league leading total of 102 points. He was a huge factor in helping lead the Bobcats to the AJHL Championship, and he also participated for Team USA in some international tournaments, including the Viking Cup. While he was not on the radar of many teams coming into the draft, his play at tournaments like the Viking Cup improved his standing in the eyes of scouts.

Like many players his size, Romano possesses great quickness and speed and unlike most players his size, he does not shy away from traffic. He has top notch hands around the net and has the attacking mentality of a sniper. He is just as adept at setting up, as he is scoring goals and evidenced by his 52 assists. One challenge for Romano next season as he starts his collegiate career is to prove that his dominance of a league that would best be described as average, can translate to a higher level. The other challenge for Romano is to become more well-rounded as a player, something that he will no doubt get plenty of time to work on with the Big Red.

The Devils have plenty of depth at the center ice position in the system, and therefore have the luxury of letting the highly-skilled Romano mature at the NCAA level. Not many sixth round draft picks ever make it to the big show, but Romano could be one of the Devils’ late round diamond in the rough selections.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: July 13, 2006 02:51PM

I like the part about "maturing at the NCAA level."

Posted by: ugarte (---.isp.broadviewnet.net)
Date: July 13, 2006 03:56PM

Al DeFlorio
Me too. I'd think that if you draft a small guy with scoring skills he is better off in a league where he does have to scratch for space and learn to work the corners but very little actual violence is permitted. It worked for Gionta and St. Louis anyway.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: July 16, 2006 02:29PM

ugarte
Al DeFlorio
Me too. I'd think that if you draft a small guy with scoring skills he is better off in a league where he does have to scratch for space and learn to work the corners but very little actual violence is permitted. It worked for Gionta and St. Louis anyway.
Did it really? Seems to me it took six years of development in the pros before St. Louis really had much success in the NHL, and almost as long for Gionta.

Date: July 16, 2006 02:31PM

pfibiger
More on Montreal's second day, quotes stolen from various HF posters:
I hope the Habs' management aren't fawning over O'B quite as much as those posters, or else they might... well, I don't really want to say it.

Date: July 18, 2006 01:30PM

From Hockey Future's Thrasher prospect camp wrap-up.

"Mitch Carefoot showed good skating ability, but less than average puck skills. A potential checking liner, he will return to Cornell this season, where he will be a senior."

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.rbccm.com)
Date: July 19, 2006 01:53PM

jmh30
Did it really? Seems to me it took six years of development in the pros before St. Louis really had much success in the NHL, and almost as long for Gionta.
Come on, it worked. These guys are tiny and they're great NHL players now. Seems to me like as soon as St. Louis got away from Calgary, he was instantly a decent scorer and soon became a great scorer. Gionta played less than a season in the AHL and was a good NHL player in his first full season with the Devils.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: July 19, 2006 03:36PM

The AJHL can "best be described as" crappy, but even if it takes Romano a couple years to acclimate to the faster, more physical college game (c.f. Mark McCutcheon), we hopefully gain. I was shocked the Devils took him; I guess it's a low round flyer, but that at least says they believe he has potential.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: July 19, 2006 03:53PM

Trotsky
The AJHL can "best be described as" crappy, but even if it takes Romano a couple years to acclimate to the faster, more physical college game (c.f. Mark McCutcheon), we hopefully gain. I was shocked the Devils took him; I guess it's a low round flyer, but that at least says they believe he has potential.
It could also mean that they have faith that playing in Schafer's system will ensure that he comes out of school as a fairly well rounded player, able to play defense as well as score.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: July 19, 2006 10:42PM

KeithK
Trotsky
It could also mean that they have faith that playing in Schafer's system will ensure that he comes out of school as a fairly well rounded player, able to play defense as well as score.
There may be some of that, but I'd think that would come from Schafer producing players who made a splash in the NHL.

O'Byrne reportedly deciding between Cornell and AHL
Posted by: redhair34 (38.117.247.---)
Date: July 21, 2006 11:43AM

I guess the habs fans are not the only ones drooling over O'Byrne.

[hfboards.com]
The article referenced in the post is in French. I used Google to get a rough translation of the article, and from what I can tell O'Byrne said he and his family would sit down and consider an offer from the Canadians. Maybe someone who knows a little French could give a better sense of the article.

Date: July 21, 2006 12:22PM

RatushnyFan
Come on, it worked. These guys are tiny and they're great NHL players now. Seems to me like as soon as St. Louis got away from Calgary, he was instantly a decent scorer and soon became a great scorer. Gionta played less than a season in the AHL and was a good NHL player in his first full season with the Devils.
Yes, they're tiny and they stayed in college for four years and they're great NHL players now (my personal feelings about Gionta being a piece of shit little goal-hanging bastard notwithstanding), but that wasn't the point. The point was that it took development in the pros before they eventually became the quality players they now are.

Even if you think St. Louis never got a fair shake in Calgary (which you could make a legitimate case about, given that he did put up some decent numbers in the minors, though on the other hand he was pretty unproductive during the two short stints he got with the big club), he also had two pretty mediocre seasons in Tampa before he eventually became the solid NHL forward he is today.

Gionta was so-so for two full pro seasons before he started scoring in 2003-2004, and even then it was another two seasons before he had his real significant breakout last year.

Re: O'Byrne reportedly deciding between Cornell and AHL
Posted by: Liz '05 (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: July 21, 2006 03:58PM

redhair34
I guess the habs fans are not the only ones drooling over O'Byrne.

[hfboards.com]
The article referenced in the post is in French. I used Google to get a rough translation of the article, and from what I can tell O'Byrne said he and his family would sit down and consider an offer from the Canadians. Maybe someone who knows a little French could give a better sense of the article.

Yep, that's what he said. Trevor Timmons (the coach?) has an extensive quote at the bottom of the article that, paraphrased, says that O'B had trouble with the rules crackdown early last season, but modified his game and dominated, becoming one of the leaders of the Cornell team. Schafer uses him in all aspects of the game, blah blah blah...he's ready physically for the pros, they see him there, but it's his decision.

Posted by: cth95 (---.a-315.westelcom.com)
Date: July 21, 2006 06:42PM

O'Byrne has some serious air in the photo. I wouldn't have thought he could jump that high, let alone on skates.

The beginning of the article says O'Byrne is the biggest of the team's 2003 draftees, but is difficult to rate on the ice. He is not expected to be the next great Montreal defenseman, but the team will be happy if he becomes a solid 5th or 6th D-man. It then says something like, "but who knows? No one predicted Craig Rivet would be a 2nd or 3rd defenseman when he began his pro career." The article gives O'Byrne credit for his skating as well as his size before discussing limitations on professional involvement while a player is still enrolled before mentioning O'Byrnes development that Liz cited. Finally, the article closes by saying Montreal would not mind seeing O'Byrne in Hamilton this season and something about filling in a position to signify no longer sharing with the Oilers.

For anyone whose French is better than mine, which is not difficult, feel free to correct any mistakes. I don't know why signing O'Byrne effects anything between Montreal and Edmonton.

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.caltech.edu)
Date: July 21, 2006 06:55PM

cth95
I don't know why signing O'Byrne effects anything between Montreal and Edmonton.

My guess without looking it up is that Montreal and Edmonton shared affiliation with the same AHL team last year, but now it is just going to be Montreal's, so the AHL team has lost the Edmonton personnell.

Posted by: las224 (---.126-70.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: July 21, 2006 08:28PM

My translation of the article (warning, may be incorrect since I haven't spoken French in a few years now):

Ryan O'Byrne at the Choice Time

The Canadian is curious to know the plans and hopes of defenseman Ryan O'Byrne.

The young man fished out in round three in 2003 is difficult to rate on the ice. He is the most strapping man of the group at 6'5 and 225 pounds.

No surprise, O'Byrne isn't becoming the next big "high-speed motorboat" of Tricolor at the defense, but if he can open out to the point of becoming a good 5th or 6th defender, the future of Canada will be looking good. And who knows, Craig Rivet isn't yet preordained to the post of 2nd or 3rd defender in the LNH at their professional debut.

O'Byrne has the advantage of being enormous whie having a good cut of the ice. He has certainly thought before spending a 4th and final season at Cornell, in the NCAA, but he's keeping his mind open. "If Canada makes me an offer, I will sit with my family and study it," he says.

The Tricolor remains rather reserved about his file because the regulations of American college sports are strict: the professional clubs cannot try to direct or convince an athlete who hasn't finished his studies to make the jump to turn pro.

As Trevor Timmins said, he's made enormous progress in the last year. "He has many difficulties in adjusting to the new application of rules in the American college field that penalize players heavily from now on for all the infractions. He must modify his style because Cornell was a team that put a lot of robustness in him, but in counting down to the time when he will find his niche, he is already dominant. He was one of the leaders on his team and his coaches have taught him well in all game situations. Anyone can see on the ice that he is physically set to leave to go to the pros, but the decision returns to him."

The Tricolor wouldn't hate to see him join with the Bulldogs of Hamilton in this season, especially since there are a lot of posts to fill there since it's been signified by the Edmonton Oilers that one can't further divide the college team with them.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: July 24, 2006 01:43PM

[Q]"The future of Canada willbe looking good." ... "If Canada makes me an offer..."[/Q]OK, I understand that your French is rusty. But even knowing about two words of French I would know to translate that as the Canadiens. :-P

Posted by: Liz '05 (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: July 24, 2006 04:31PM

I just came to elf.elynah.com, saw there was a new thread in the hockey forum, and got scared that it was announcing O'B's departure. Does this happen to anyone else? Or am I just paranoid? worry

Posted by: redhair34 (38.117.247.---)
Date: July 24, 2006 04:42PM

Liz '05
I just came to elf.elynah.com, saw there was a new thread in the hockey forum, and got scared that it was announcing O'B's departure. Does this happen to anyone else? Or am I just paranoid? worry

You are not alone nut

Posted by: Dpperk29 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: July 24, 2006 07:46PM

it happened me to me

Posted by: jkahn (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: July 24, 2006 11:05PM

Liz '05
Just logged on, 15 new posts and I was apprehensive about it too.

Posted by: las224 (---.126-70.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: July 25, 2006 08:32PM

KeithK
[Q]"The future of Canada willbe looking good." ... "If Canada makes me an offer..."[/Q]OK, I understand that your French is rusty. But even knowing about two words of French I would know to translate that as the Canadiens. :-P

"Le Canadien" is singular - literally, "the Canadian." I was assuming that they would use the plural ("Les Canadiens";) if they meant the Canadians, so I translated to "Canada" instead. Sorry :-P Either way, you get the gist of the article.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2006 08:32PM by las224.

Posted by: jkahn (216.146.73.---)
Date: July 26, 2006 01:20PM

las224
KeithK

"Le Canadien" is singular - literally, "the Canadian." I was assuming that they would use the plural ("Les Canadiens";) if they meant the Canadians, so I translated to "Canada" instead. Sorry :-P Either way, you get the gist of the article.
The official name of the team is Le Club de Hockey Canadien, so Le Canadien is sometimes used to refer to the organization. More commonly, "Les Canadiens" is used to refer to the team or the players collectively. I always that it was cool that the H and C in the crest simply stood for Hockey and Canadien.

Posted by: Drew (199.43.48.---)
Date: July 26, 2006 04:15PM

jkahn
las224
KeithK

The official name of the team is Le Club de Hockey Canadien, so Le Canadien is sometimes used to refer to the organization. More commonly, "Les Canadiens" is used to refer to the team or the players collectively. I always that it was cool that the H and C in the crest simply stood for Hockey and Canadien.

I always thought the H stood for "Les Habitants" and that is why they are called Habs for short....I maybe mistaken.
Cheers!
Drew

Posted by: RichH (216.195.201.---)
Date: July 26, 2006 05:28PM

Drew
I always thought the H stood for "Les Habitants" and that is why they are called Habs for short....I maybe mistaken.
Cheers!
Drew

[en.wikipedia.org]

[Q]In 1924, Madison Square Garden owner Tex Rickard was falsely told by someone that the "H" in the logo of the Montreal Canadiens hockey team stood for "habitant", a French word that in those days was used to denote the farmers of Quebec. Rickard was told that the French players on the team came from the farms and that they were therefore "habitants" or "habs". At the time, the Canadiens were recognized as the French Canadian team of Montreal as opposed to the Montreal Maroons, the English Canadian team. In reality, the team logo of the "C" wrapped around the "H" stands for Club de Hockey Canadien. In 1917, at the founding of the NHL, the team changed its name to that from the previous Club Athlétique Canadien.[/Q]

And a further note for those interested in uniform history, the center letter of the logo was an "A" (for Athletique) from 1913-1917. With the name change to Club de Hockey Canadien, the logo also changed.

[www.sportslogos.net]
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2006 05:43PM by RichH.

Posted by: Drew (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 26, 2006 08:15PM

RichH, Nice post. You are my source of reference regarding drinking spots in Ithaca and logo origination. :-)
Have a good summer.
Drew

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login