Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Alumni in the Pros JULY '06

Posted by rmandel 
Alumni in the Pros JULY '06
Posted by: rmandel (72.54.9.---)
Date: July 10, 2006 08:56AM

Observation by the Hockey's Future beat writer from Atlanta Thrashers prospect camp:

62 Carefoot – Smooth and fast skater, but not the best shooter.

Re: Alumni in the Pros JULY '06
Posted by: redhair34 (38.117.247.---)
Date: July 10, 2006 09:34AM

rmandel
Observation by the Hockey's Future beat writer from Atlanta Thrashers prospect camp:

Alumni screwy

Posted by: ugarte (---.isp.broadviewnet.net)
Date: July 10, 2006 10:47AM

redhair34
rmandel

Alumni screwy
You are being a bit pedantic here. Does rmandel have to start a thread for "what pro scouting sites think of our current players?"

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: July 10, 2006 11:40AM

And make sure we don't discuss David McKee and Sasha Pokulok on this thread either. After all, neither of them are Cornell alums...

Posted by: Liz '05 (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: July 10, 2006 12:12PM

They're at least alums of the program, in the same sense that you could say Topher Scott is an alum of the Chicago Steel program, even though he didn't graduate. Carefoot? Not so much.

Date: July 10, 2006 01:26PM

ugarte
You are being a bit pedantic here.

Not really--There is a big difference between someone who will be on the team next year and someone who won't. If a casual fan were to read what rmandel wrote, he or she might get the impression that Carefoot won't be on the team next year. If you are unconvinced, take comfort in the fact that my alleged nitpicking was at least hockey-related and not grammar-related.

Does rmandel have to start a thread for "what pro scouting sites think of our current players?"
Rmandel can start/title a thread however he or she wants. My post was completely innocuous. But I will say there is a difference between starting a thread titled, "Alumni in the Pros" with a post that doesn't explicitly or implicitly state that the player in question is currently a member of the Big Red and replying to an existing alumni thread about a current player.

Date: July 10, 2006 01:27PM

KeithK
And make sure we don't discuss David McKee and Sasha Pokulok on this thread either. After all, neither of them are Cornell alums...

or Doug Murray ;-)

Posted by: Chris '03 (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: July 10, 2006 02:00PM

redhair34
If a casual fan were to read what rmandel wrote, he or she might get the impression that Carefoot won't be on the team next year.

I think it's safe to say that the casual fan doesn't spend a July afternoon checking up former Cornell hockey players in the pros. Though perhaps we could start a "Mitch Carefoot: What does his senior season hold?" thread just to allay any fears that he has both graduated and gone pro. :-D

Date: July 10, 2006 02:23PM

Chris '03
Though perhaps we could start a "Mitch Carefoot: What does his senior season hold?" thread just to allay any fears that he has both graduated and gone pro. :-D

Or the "When will Doug Murray take his final class and complete his graduation requirement so we can talk about him on the alumni thread?" thread nut

Posted by: Liz '05 (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: July 10, 2006 03:01PM

Chris '03
redhair34
If a casual fan were to read what rmandel wrote, he or she might get the impression that Carefoot won't be on the team next year.

I think it's safe to say that the casual fan doesn't spend a July afternoon checking up former Cornell hockey players in the pros. Though perhaps we could start a "Mitch Carefoot: What does his senior season hold?" thread just to allay any fears that he has both graduated and gone pro. :-D

Who said we were casual fans? :-}

It's probably safe to say the casual fan would miss this conversation entirely, because they wouldn't be thinking about hockey in July. On the other hand, I'm planning a trip to Estero in December.

Posted by: Rita (---.agry.purdue.edu)
Date: July 10, 2006 04:41PM

Liz '05
Chris '03
redhair34

It's probably safe to say the casual fan would miss this conversation entirely, because they wouldn't be thinking about hockey in July. On the other hand, I'm planning a trip to Estero in December.

So is it too early for the "Estero - Roll Call" Thread? ;-)

Count me and my 5 year old nephew in. My niece (11 months in December) is too young. My sister-in-law says she has to be at ~ 2 years old before I can take her to a game. A few weeks ago my nephew told me he was going to play hockey at Cornell and wear #14. When the "Class of 2023 Recruits" Thread gets going, I'll add his name to the list. :-)

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: July 10, 2006 04:54PM

Yikes, don't do that! The Carefoot reference definitely made me worry I'd missed something big. It has nothing to do with being graduated and everything with still being on the team.

On to other alumni: whither Nieuwy? Has he officially retired?

Re: Doug Murray
Posted by: jkahn (216.146.73.---)
Date: July 10, 2006 05:01PM

The Sharks traded Tom Preising today, which might free up some ice time for Doug, although they've still got six other defensemen on the roster who are likely to be above Doug on the depth chart at this point.
[www.sjsharks.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2006 05:01PM by jkahn.

Re: Doug Murray
Posted by: pfibiger (---.com)
Date: July 10, 2006 05:04PM

jkahn
The Sharks traded Tom Preising today, which might free up some ice time for Doug, although they've still got six other defensemen on the roster who are likely to be above Doug on the depth chart at this point.
[www.sjsharks.com]

I don't know what the media was exactly, but on hockeysfuture people were reporting that Doug Wilson (Sharks GM) said that Doug's role is expected to increase next year. We'll see if that materializes.

As for Greg's question about Nieuwendyk, there was a retirement rumor a few months ago which Joe came out and quashed. He said that he's definitely coming back next year. Of course, that was before Gary Roberts asked for a trade, so who knows? But he'll likely be playing next year.

And finally, LeNeveu still hasn't signed a contract w/ Phoenix. I wonder if that's why they signed this other young goaltender, to gain some negotiating power?

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: July 10, 2006 07:31PM

You don't have to graduate to be an alum.

Date: July 10, 2006 07:50PM

Jim Hyla
I don't know how the Alumni Association defines alumnus. But the American Heritage dictionary defines alumnus as "A male graduate or former student of a school, college, or university" (via dictionary.com). That's consistent with my general understanding of the term in the collegiate context. Then again, Merriam-Webster's second definition is "a person who is a former member, employee, contributor, or inmate", which would seem to validate Jim's assertion. In this contaxt, Jim is probably right since we're really talking about former members of the hockey team, whether or not they satisfied academic requirements for graduatation.

Regardless of how you define alumnus, redhair34 was being somewhat picky in his original complaint about the OP. So I responded by being more picky about guys like McKee and Pokulok. Regardless, a good opportunity to run up the post count in July. :-)
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2006 07:55PM by KeithK.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.raytheon.com)
Date: July 11, 2006 09:41AM

Rita
Liz '05
Chris '03

So is it too early for the "Estero - Roll Call" Thread? ;-)

Count me and my 5 year old nephew in. My niece (11 months in December) is too young. My sister-in-law says she has to be at ~ 2 years old before I can take her to a game. A few weeks ago my nephew told me he was going to play hockey at Cornell and wear #14. When the "Class of 2023 Recruits" Thread gets going, I'll add his name to the list. :-)

Cool, glad I'm not the only one :). Em and I have been looking at this again, after being way too late last year, I was glad to remember real early this time around. So, I remember (I think Rita) saying last year to checkout Southwest, but I noticed that there flights are still only up to October. Would we have to wait another 2 months to get December? And is that a good idea?

Any hints on hotels or cars are welcome too. My usual Priceline approach probably won't work so well in Floriday over the holiday week.

Posted by: Beeeej (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: July 11, 2006 10:50AM

KeithK
Jim Hyla
I don't know how the Alumni Association defines alumnus. But the American Heritage dictionary defines alumnus as "A male graduate or former student of a school, college, or university" (via dictionary.com). That's consistent with my general understanding of the term in the collegiate context. Then again, Merriam-Webster's second definition is "a person who is a former member, employee, contributor, or inmate", which would seem to validate Jim's assertion.

The American Heritage definition, which includes "former student," would seem to validate Jim's assertion just as much as Merriam-Webster's does.

In any event, I can't speak for them now, but when I worked there (1995-2000), Cornell's Division of Alumni Affairs & Development defined "alumnus/alumna" as any individual who had matriculated at Cornell.

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: July 11, 2006 11:31AM

Since it doesn't fit under "Current Team Members In Pro Prospect Camps" i'll post it here. An article about Pokulok at the Capitals' development camp:

[www.pennlive.com]

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: July 11, 2006 11:42AM

Telling comment by McPhee: "It seemed like he got too comfortable at the college level."

Date: July 11, 2006 01:11PM

Who says engineers trying to run the post count up have any skillin reading comp.? I read the AH defn. as "A male graduate -------------- of a school, college, or university" and took that as validation. Heh.

Date: July 11, 2006 05:01PM

Another article about Sasha going pro:

[www.ldnews.com]

"And even if his mother isn’t completely convinced, Sasha Pokulok figures he made the right decision."

Posted by: Brian (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: July 11, 2006 06:38PM

Trotsky
Yikes, don't do that! The Carefoot reference definitely made me worry I'd missed something big. It has nothing to do with being graduated and everything with still being on the team.

On to other alumni: whither Nieuwy? Has he officially retired?

How about Moulson, have the Penguins started camp?

Posted by: schoaff (---.ga.at.cox.net)
Date: July 11, 2006 09:11PM

Rita
A few weeks ago my nephew told me he was going to play hockey at Cornell and wear #14. When the "Class of 2023 Recruits" Thread gets going, I'll add his name to the list. :-)

Lucky you. When my daughter was 4 she told me she wanted to play ice hockey for the University of Hawaii. I didn't have the heart to break it to her. :-)

Posted by: ebilmes (---.37.10.9.adsl.snet.net)
Date: July 11, 2006 11:27PM

Rita
A few weeks ago my nephew told me he was going to play hockey at Cornell and wear #14. When the "Class of 2023 Recruits" Thread gets going, I'll add his name to the list. :-)

Tell him he'll have to work on staying awake through a game before he does that.

Posted by: Rita (---.agry.purdue.edu)
Date: July 12, 2006 09:27AM

ebilmes
Rita

Tell him he'll have to work on staying awake through a game before he does that.

Touche. He better stay awake through the games this year or I may need help carrying him out!! I'm not sure what the latest height/weight stats are, but he was pushing my limits last year. :-)

Posted by: CKinsland (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 15, 2006 03:10PM

[Q]My niece (11 months in December) is too young. My sister-in-law says she has to be at ~ 2 years old before I can take her to a game.[/Q]
Hmmm. Dunno. In my experience, kids are easiest to bring to game from age 0-2 then again from age 6 (if interested in hockey, 8 if not) up.

Both my kids came to games from shortly after birth until they were just shy of two. Now they stay with grandma for the games. From 0-2, they nursed and slept during play. Watched the Zamboni with fascination during breaks. They do like to go to the women's games and had fun at last night's alumni game in Lansing, but the men's home games are too crowded, too loud and too restrictive for them.

CK

Posted by: Rita (---.ind.choiceone.net)
Date: July 15, 2006 06:39PM

CKinsland
[Q]My niece (11 months in December) is too young. My sister-in-law says she has to be at ~ 2 years old before I can take her to a game.[/Q]
Hmmm. Dunno. In my experience, kids are easiest to bring to game from age 0-2 then again from age 6 (if interested in hockey, 8 if not) up.

Both my kids came to games from shortly after birth until they were just shy of two. Now they stay with grandma for the games. From 0-2, they nursed and slept during play. Watched the Zamboni with fascination during breaks. They do like to go to the women's games and had fun at last night's alumni game in Lansing, but the men's home games are too crowded, too loud and too restrictive for them.

CK

I agree. However, it isn't my child so I'm at the discretion of my sister-in-law, who isn't a big hockey fan and would not come along. So I have to wait until they are 2 before I can take them out on my own. My nephew first came with me to the Everblades Tourney right before his 3rd birthday. For the first game it was just the 2 of us and due to musical cars (too many drivers, not enough vehicles), we got dropped off early and got to watch Cornell warm-up. I remember him standing by the glass and looking at the players and then turning to me and saying "Aunt Ria, they are soooo big".

This year he was so enthralled with it all (at least until he fell asleep ;-)) that he didn't even ask for his gameboy.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2006 08:50PM by Rita.

Posted by: The Rancor (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 16, 2006 12:01AM

doug murray gets one more year with the sharks.

Posted by: Avash (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: July 16, 2006 12:43AM

The Rancor
doug murray gets one more year with the sharks.

It's actually a three-year deal.

Posted by: Harrier (---.clarityconnect.net)
Date: July 17, 2006 03:20PM

Ottawa Senators general manager John Muckler announced today the signing of another three prospects. The club signed one-year deals with defenseman Charlie Cook, and forwards Andrew Ebbett and Ryan Vesce.

Cook and Vesce
Posted by: jkahn (216.146.73.---)
Date: July 17, 2006 07:00PM

Ottawa Senators' website re Cook and Vesce:
[www2.ottawasenators.com]

Date: July 23, 2006 01:50AM

lenny gets $500k st back up CuJo....

[www.tsn.ca]

Belfour and Jean-Marc P.
Date: July 26, 2006 01:32AM

“Ed is one of the most successful and talented goaltenders in the National Hockey League. It was our goal to add more depth at the goaltending position and we feel we have sufficiently addressed this area with the acquisitions of Ed, Alex Auld and Craig Anderson during the off-season” Keenan said. “These three players will provide us with a solid base in goal within our club, along with Jean-Marc Pelletier and David Shantz. Additionally, Ed’s wealth of playing experience will be an added asset for our organization.”

i didnt know Pelletier was with Florida. Now I have 2 reasons to go to Miami this year!

Date: August 04, 2006 11:49AM

Matt Moulson becomes a free agent on Aug 15 if he does not get signed by the Pens. what is the hold up? I was sure he would have been immediately inked....

Date: August 04, 2006 11:59AM

[www.nhl.com]

great for Tony Romano, but who the hell is Peter Schafer? help

Posted by: RichH (216.195.201.---)
Date: August 04, 2006 12:21PM

The Rancor
great for Tony Romano, but who the hell is Peter Schafer? help

Well, the last name is spelled correctly, and at least he's not being confused with former Notre Dame coach Ric Schafer anymore. That happened constantly by the college hockey media his first two years as head coach.

Peter Schaefer plays for the Senators.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login