Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

NCAA Rules meeting

Posted by RichH 
NCAA Rules meeting
Posted by: RichH (216.195.201.---)
Date: July 05, 2006 05:37PM

Anyone see this?

[www.uscho.com]

Nothing incredibly major. Reemphasis on the crackdown on hitting from behind, a minor rule change on icing, and what looks like a gentle push to get every league to implement a 2-ref, 2-linesman system. Some trickle-down icing rule changes from the NHL may be coming (under "Experimental Rules";)

Things that raised my eyebrows are towards the bottom of the article:

"Eliminating ties. It is the committee's intent to develop a procedure to eliminate ties in the game, no later than the 2008-09 season."

"Hand passes. The committee is asking for feedback to either eliminate hand passes all together or allow them in all areas of the ice to establish consistency."

Interesting. I'm in favor of keeping ties around, but I would love to see a game where all hand passes are allowed. Wait...no I wouldn't.

Re: NCAA Rules meeting
Posted by: redice (---.sub-70-221-236.myvzw.com)
Date: July 05, 2006 05:58PM

If they're going to use the shootout to eliminate ties, that's bad news for Cornell. Their strength is a strong defensive system and I question whether they will have the snipers that would win shootouts. Since hockey is a team game, I have always felt that shootouts are a less than ideal way to break a tie. That said, shootouts are entertaining (but only when our team wins).

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: July 05, 2006 06:23PM

[q]Conferences and teams are encouraged to implement these rules experimentally in exhibitions or in conference games.

1. When a team is shorthanded, that team is not allowed to ice the puck.[/q]What the f---? You've got to be kidding me.

Overall I get the feeling from these kinds of articles that the committee just feels the need to tinker with things. Not to make things better, but because thye can.

Posted by: ugarte (---.isp.broadviewnet.net)
Date: July 05, 2006 06:42PM

KeithK
[q]Conferences and teams are encouraged to implement these rules experimentally in exhibitions or in conference games.

1. When a team is shorthanded, that team is not allowed to ice the puck.[/q]What the f---? You've got to be kidding me.

Overall I get the feeling from these kinds of articles that the committee just feels the need to tinker with things. Not to make things better, but because thye can.
But you tell me what was more exciting: the end of Germany - Argentina, or Germany - Italy?

Um...

Posted by: ebilmes (---.37.77.234.adsl.snet.net)
Date: July 05, 2006 08:18PM

I agree that Cornell is not a shootout team. I remember feeling we were very lucky to have won the shootout vs. UMD this year, especially given the terrible shots some of our guys (OB?) were taking in the shootout.

Calling icing on the PP would just be ridiculous IMO.

Posted by: David Harding (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: July 05, 2006 11:08PM

[q]Embellishment. The committee is concerned with what seems to be an increase in players using deceptive tactics to draw penalties. While the focus on obstruction and hitting from behind may have contributed, embellishment must be penalized. When players gain and [sic] advantage and draw a penalty, they must trust officials to make the call and not embellish the penalty.
[/q] This is also interesting, especially considering the recent discussion on diving in soccer.

Posted by: RedFromLJ (---.san.res.rr.com)
Date: July 06, 2006 03:49AM

Absolutely.

I remember once, last year, a Cornell player got a penalty for hitting from behind AND the supposed victim got 2 minutes for diving...I struggled to imagine a universe where this was logically sound, but quickly became dizzy.

Calling icing on the Penalty Kill? You've got to be kidding me. Ice-Hockey's off-sides rules make defending a tactical endevour that's exciting to watch: There's great skill in forcing the puck beyond the blue line, forcing the offense to circle out and then come back in...Forcing that neutral-ice circling just might be the most beautiful part of the whole game.

Removing the ability to force this when down a man would lead to a substantial amount of Power-play goals; it almost guarantees this.

For some reason this rule change feels equivalent to there being no "Roughing the Passer" rule in the XFL...It sounds like it could lead to more excitement on the playing surface, but after the first time it goes wrong we'd all recoil in disgust.

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: July 06, 2006 07:43AM

RedFromLJ
Removing the ability to force this when down a man would lead to a substantial amount of Power-play goals; it almost guarantees this.

As I see it, that's the whole point. They want to see more 8-7 games. The 3OT 1-0 goaltender duel, by contrast, is their nightmare scenario (and lucky for them, only a possibility in the postseason at the current time). They think more scoring equates with more excitement. I respectfully disagree.

Date: July 06, 2006 12:15PM

David Harding
[q]Embellishment. The committee is concerned with what seems to be an increase in players using deceptive tactics to draw penalties. While the focus on obstruction and hitting from behind may have contributed, embellishment must be penalized. When players gain and [sic] advantage and draw a penalty, they must trust officials to make the call and not embellish the penalty.
[/q] This is also interesting, especially considering the recent discussion on diving in soccer.
If they actually enforce this rule would Minnesota ever again win a game against a defensive minded foe?

(OK Keith, it's been 16 months. Let it go...)

Posted by: Robb (---.northropgrumman.com)
Date: July 06, 2006 12:34PM

RedFromLJ
I remember once, last year, a Cornell player got a penalty for hitting from behind AND the supposed victim got 2 minutes for diving...I struggled to imagine a universe where this was logically sound, but quickly became dizzy.
I never get this. If I punch you in the face, and you punch me in the face, we're both wrong and we're both going to the box for it. If I trip you and you embellish it, we are both wrong, and we both deserve to go to the box for it.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: July 06, 2006 06:35PM

RichH
Interesting. I'm in favor of keeping ties around, but I would love to see a game where all hand passes are allowed. Wait...no I wouldn't.
We already have that game. It's called basketball.

Date: July 06, 2006 07:02PM

jmh30
RichH
We already have that game. It's called basketball.
The article makes it sound like it's somehow confusing to the players and referees to only have hand passes legal in the defensive zone. Come on, this isn't rocket science (trust me). Yes, some fans take a while to pick up the distinction but those fans ar eusually just there for the fights and checks anyway.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 07, 2006 06:03PM

RichH
minor rule change on icing

Also known as the rule that turned icing in the NHL's version of the NBA's traveling.

i.e. we basically don't call it anymore unless its incredibly blatant

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login