Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Harvard(sucks) @ Lynah

Posted by Ben Doyle 03 
Harvard(sucks) @ Lynah
Posted by: Ben Doyle 03 (---)
Date: November 11, 2002 01:26PM

helpWord has it (from a University source) that Harvard(sucks) has submitted a petition to the NCAA requesting that they not have to play at Lynah Rink. They have apparently cited "unsafe playing conditions" and an "unfair advantage" as their grounds for this petition (not likely to be granted for this season). This is the first time I've heard of such a thing, can anyone say if this is past practice or is Harvard(sucks) just acting like harvard(sucks).help

Re: Harvard(sucks) @ Lynah
Posted by: Lisa McGill (---)
Date: November 11, 2002 01:54PM

Wha??

Sissies. rolleyes

Posted by: kaelistus (---)
Date: November 11, 2002 01:56PM

Hah! Not like Lynah East provides them with a more home crowd advantage. What wimps...

Posted by: Beeeej (---)
Date: November 11, 2002 02:03PM

No word of this that I can find on USCHO or elsewhere...does anybody have a report or an independent source on this? I find it difficult to believe, even though I never would have predicted a lot of what's already happened in this young season.

Beeeej

Posted by: kaelistus (---)
Date: November 11, 2002 02:10PM

Maybe Harvard is mad about the HockeyCam too? nut

Date: November 11, 2002 02:10PM

Beeeej,

My source heard of the petition mid last week. . .it may be too new for most others to have heard about. Who knows???

Posted by: Will (128.253.12.---)
Date: November 11, 2002 02:14PM

^^ LOL Felix.

This seems really bizarre and unlikely to me. But hey, I guess that's Hahvahd for you.

Posted by: gwm3 (---)
Date: November 11, 2002 02:26PM

"Unfair advantage"? Isn't that the point of home ice? I guess Harvard wouldn't understand that.

Posted by: Adam '01 (---)
Date: November 11, 2002 02:55PM

Don't they realize that no matter where they "move" this game to, it's still going to be a hostile and "unfair" environment? Isn't it already abudently clear to them that the Lynah Faithful travel? Harvard, of all teams, should know this.

Posted by: jy3 (---)
Date: November 11, 2002 07:19PM

think we all know that this is buzzzzzzzzzzzzz. but it is funny to think about nut

Posted by: Tom Tseng (---)
Date: November 11, 2002 08:18PM

If the rumor is true, I'd welcome a move of venue to the Bay Area. That way, I won't have to travel cross-country to hear for my beloved Big Red team. I dare say the rest of you WILL make the trek to Lynah West...:-))

Posted by: jy3 (---)
Date: November 11, 2002 08:25PM

laugh

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---)
Date: November 11, 2002 08:36PM

How about reclaiming the New Orleans Arena from those damned Hornets? Lynah South in the Big Easy!

Posted by: Nate Oaks-Lee (---)
Date: November 11, 2002 10:39PM

Maybe we could do what Michigan did and play it in the football stadium. Then the athletic department could get what they always wanted...a Schoellkopf Sellout!

Posted by: T '00 (65.242.131.---)
Date: November 12, 2002 08:30AM

I've heard the petition also include the fact that Harvard wants all of their wins to be referred to "with honors"

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---)
Date: November 12, 2002 08:56AM

And I'd think they should get a "W" just for showing up...rolleyes

Posted by: Will (---)
Date: November 12, 2002 09:02AM

Tom Tseng wrote:
[Q]If the rumor is true, I'd welcome a move of venue to the Bay Area. That way, I won't have to travel cross-country to hear for my beloved Big Red team. I dare say the rest of you WILL make the trek to Lynah West...:-)) [/Q]
and John T. Whelan '91 wrote:
[Q]How about reclaiming the New Orleans Arena from those damned Hornets? Lynah South in the Big Easy![/Q]

Tom, John, if you guys are willing to put me and my three thousand closest friends up for the night, we'd love to drive out to your respective venues. :-D

Posted by: jnachod (---)
Date: November 12, 2002 09:19AM

How about: if Harvard feels that they shouldn't have to play at Lynah, they can forfeit the game. Yeah, we have an advantage over them but it's definitely not an unfair one. Forfeiting ought to make them look really good in their media.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (---)
Date: November 12, 2002 09:48AM

[q]Yeah, we have an advantage over them but it's definitely not an unfair one.[/q]

It certainly is. But that's what makes it so much fun :-D

Date: November 12, 2002 09:51AM

But forfeits are omitted from NCAA selection criteria calculations, so we're better off if we beat them on the ice.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (---)
Date: November 12, 2002 09:57AM

Not if they keep losing :-D

Strength of Schedule
Date: November 12, 2002 10:09AM

It's not that bad yet; Hahvahd is 6th in the nation according to RPI and the 16th toughest opponent according to RPI's strength-of-schedule measure. OTOH, playing UVM will lower our RPI whether we win or lose. But that's not just a result of the new RPI formula; things are kind of screwy when you're unbeaten and untied. For example, our KRACH is infinite right now (along with Hahvahd's and Brown's, although Hahvhahd's infinity is inifinitely smaller than Brown's nut ), so beating UVM wouldn't help that either.

Re: Strength of Schedule
Date: November 12, 2002 10:13AM

That was a joke rolleyes

Date: November 12, 2002 11:16AM

Hey, don't discuss your KRACH here, there are kids in the room! :-P

Posted by: Shorts (---)
Date: November 12, 2002 01:38PM

Where can I look up the current RPI, PWR, KRACH, etc. standings? Last I checked, neither JTW's page nor USCHO has started posting them.

Date: November 12, 2002 01:44PM

Not enough games played to compile them yet.

Date: November 12, 2002 04:52PM

Seriously, any idea when they start posting the statistical standings?

Posted by: bigred apple (---)
Date: November 12, 2002 05:24PM

Am I the only person who is going to publicly state that I don't believe for a second that this is true?

Posted by: adamw (---)
Date: November 12, 2002 05:25PM

USCHO begins publishing PWR usually in early January.

Posted by: cbuckser (134.186.177.---)
Date: November 12, 2002 05:39PM

I'll boldly state on this forum that I agree with you, Big Red Apple.

Posted by: littleredfan (---)
Date: November 12, 2002 05:44PM

I'm not sure about this, but i think that Harvard's beef has less to do with the fact that we have a home ice advantage and more to do with the fact that a player on their team got hit in the face by a piece of fish.

I'm all for the tradition, don't get me wrong, but honestly that just sucks.

Fish on the ice around the players = OK
Fish in the face of an opponent, no matter how hated = disrespectful

These guys have to then go out there and play 60 minutes of hockey, maybe with the stench of a little fish wedged somewhere in their jersey.

Sounds like it sucks.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---)
Date: November 12, 2002 05:51PM

Seems unlikely. Still good for a chuckle though :-).

"One of the guys", if I remember from last year, it didn't happen 'til mid-winter (like, January). Isn't it true (based on the deaming of the NCAA statistical lords), that RPI (the stat, not the school) isn't valid until everyone has played 20 games? And if RPI isn't, then PWR isn't.

Thinking of it now, 20 seems like too many, but it's some number like that - I shall search USCHO for the answer, which is where I believe I found it once.

-Fred

Posted by: Adam '04 (---)
Date: November 12, 2002 06:01PM

I think it is very possible that Harvard could have filed a petition with the NCAA. laugh I would not discredit the source information just yet. I don’t think that Harvard or Cornell will publicly make a big deal over Lynah. It really does not look good for either school to have this sort of thing in the press, if you know what I mean. ;-)

PWR, RPI. KRACH, etc
Date: November 12, 2002 06:06PM

They're not terribly meaningful so early in the season, but I am ready to calculate them as an academic exercise, and have done so already. But until everybody has a winning percentage which is neither .000 or 1.000, you can't assign everyone a finite KRACH on the same scale, which makes the presentation of the results complicated. Once Cornell and Brown have both tied or lost (and not just tied each other, but that's another story) and Princeton and Huntsville have both won or tied, I'll start posting the RPI, PWR, and KRACH on [slack.net]

20 games
Date: November 12, 2002 06:09PM

DeltaOne81 '03 wrote:

"One of the guys", if I remember from last year, it didn't happen 'til mid-winter (like, January). Isn't it true (based on the deaming of the NCAA statistical lords), that RPI (the stat, not the school) isn't valid until everyone has played 20 games? And if RPI isn't, then PWR isn't.
RPI is defined as long as everyone has played at least two different opponents. What you're probably thinking of is the requirement that a team play 20 games to be considered in tournament selection at all.

Date: November 12, 2002 06:11PM

John: what happens if a team goes undefeated/untied or fails to win or tie a single game?

Re: 20 games
Posted by: jeh25 (---)
Date: November 12, 2002 06:30PM

John T. Whelan '91 wrote:

DeltaOne81 '03 wrote:

RPI is defined as long as everyone has played at least two different opponents. What you're probably thinking of is the requirement that a team play 20 games to be considered in tournament selection at all.

Didn't the L16 component of the PWR use to be Last twenty? Maybe Fred is thinking of that?

Date: November 12, 2002 07:00PM

John E Hayes '98 '00 wrote:

Didn't the L16 component of the PWR use to be Last twenty?
Yes, that used to coincide nicely with the minimum number of games (although it still didn't work out that way because independents like Air Force and Army would often play a bunch of games against Division I but at the time still ineligible teams like Canisius, which counted towards the 20-game minimum but not towards tournament selection).

Of course, the "last 16" criterion is now a thing of the past.

Date: November 12, 2002 07:26PM

The KRACH doesn't actually matter for anything does it? I seem to remember a fews years ago Alabama-Huntsville leading the KRACH fairly deep into the season.

Date: November 12, 2002 07:32PM

[Q]Of course, the "last 16" criterion is now a thing of the past.[/Q]
Um, is it? I thought that was the one they left alone. They had talked about altering or eliminating it, but they haven't yet.

Also, it's possible that I pulled the number 20 from the "20 min games" thing (not the last 20 games though, I haven't been around college hockey long enough). So is it possible USCHO doesn't post their stats until people start meeting this? Or is it just some randomly determined point in the winter? Maybe out very own Adam W can shed some light on that.

Either way, I know USCHO takes its sweet time to put up the statistical rankings. That's what we have JTW for :-)... among other things of course.

-Fred

KRACH
Date: November 12, 2002 10:08PM

Graham Meli '02 wrote:

The KRACH doesn't actually matter for anything does it? I seem to remember a fews years ago Alabama-Huntsville leading the KRACH fairly deep into the season.
The KRACH is not used in the selection process. We keep mentioning it because it does far more robustly what the RPI was designed to do: evaluate a team's won-lost-tied record in light of its strength of schedule. Assumung your definition of "fairly deep into the season" means sometime after the beginning of the calendar year, I can recall no such anomaly in the KRACH, as opposed to the RPI, which had Quinnipiac at #12 at the end of the 1999 season and #11 at the end of the 2000 season.

Selection Criteria
Date: November 12, 2002 10:22PM

DeltaOne81 '03 wrote:

[Q]Of course, the "last 16" criterion is now a thing of the past.[/Q]
Um, is it? I thought that was the one they left alone. They had talked about altering or eliminating it, but they haven't yet.
After far too much searching, I found the article:

[www.uscho.com]

Last 16 was dropped, the RPI weightings were switched back to 25/50/25, and "Team Under Consideration" was redefined to be anyone with an RPI of .500 or above.

Re: Selection Criteria
Date: November 12, 2002 10:44PM

Yeah, I don't remember exactly how far into the season the Alabama-Huntsville thing was (perhaps it was before any games had been played and the teams were just listed alphabetically). I think it was at least a few weeks in, which would be fairly insignificant, but still strange. Then again, maybe I dreamed all of this... snore

Date: November 12, 2002 11:50PM

Graham Meli '02 wrote:

Yeah, I don't remember exactly how far into the season the Alabama-Huntsville thing was (perhaps it was before any games had been played and the teams were just listed alphabetically). I think it was at least a few weeks in, which would be fairly insignificant, but still strange. Then again, maybe I dreamed all of this... snore
It was in November 2001, when UAH started out 9-1, with their only loss coming to 8-1-2 Western Michigan. At that point, UAH was #1 in the KRACH and #3 in the RPI. Then they started losing and dropped off the map.

So the strange thing was UAH's strong start, not the fact that KRACH (like other rating systems) judged them accordingly.

Posted by: kingpin248 (---)
Date: November 13, 2002 12:43AM

I think that should be November 2000. When I saw 9-1, I immediately thought, "they'd (UAH) played ten games before they came to Lynah?"

Posted by: Section A (---)
Date: November 13, 2002 12:46AM

and they were 8-1, not 9-1. they then lost 7 straight.

Alabama-Huntsville
Date: November 13, 2002 07:45AM

Matt Carberry wrote:

I think that should be November 2000.
Right, it was November of the 2000-2001 season.

Date: November 13, 2002 07:47AM

Avash \'05 wrote:

and they were 8-1, not 9-1. they then lost 7 straight.
Right again; their tenth game was a loss to Niagara.

Posted by: adamw (---)
Date: November 13, 2002 09:05AM

USCHO generally -- agree or disagree -- has waited until all teams played 16 teams to post PWR. To be honest, I don't know what will be the consideration now that the criteria has been eliminated.

Perhaps it will just be whenever the programmers are able to re-write the program. :-)

And - John - if you need help on searching USCHO, just let me know :-)

Date: November 13, 2002 11:34AM

That was sort of the intended gist of my "independent source" question, BRA. But remember, I'm in law school now - so I need to see evidence and refutation. :-D

Beeeej

Posted by: bigred apple (---)
Date: November 13, 2002 12:19PM

I'd settle for either, Beeej. rolleyes A bit early in your legal career for Article 8 of the F.R.E., but what you have here isn't evidence. We can discuss the finer points at Baker Field on Saturday.

Posted by: rhovorka (---)
Date: November 13, 2002 12:26PM

Yeah...and I also "heard" that Chris Higgins had agreed to come to Cornell, but went to Yale instead. Maybe the Daily Sun can break this Harvard non-story as well.

Date: November 13, 2002 12:27PM

Don't tell me you're claiming Ben '03 made a deathbed statement. :-))

See you Saturday!

Beeeej

Posted by: ugarte (63.94.240.---)
Date: November 21, 2002 11:40AM

From the article posted on the fish tossing thread:

[q]As for rumors circulating around the East Hill that Harvard might be searching for a neutral site for future Cornell games, they are false, according to Nighman and Crimson head coach Mark Mazzoleni.

"It's not a Harvard rumor," Mazzoleni said, asserting that it came from Ithaca. "It's an absolutely ridiculous rumor. It wouldn't show a lot of courage on our part. It's erroneous. It's just a way to add fuel to the fire."[/q]

4-10-3 Grrrrrr...
Posted by: JohnnieAg99 (---)
Date: November 21, 2002 12:06PM

Do you realize that we are 4-10-3 vs. Havard(sucks) AT LYNAH:-( since 1984-5???? twitch twitch twitch

Re: 4-10-3 Grrrrrr...
Posted by: jeh25 (130.132.105.---)
Date: November 21, 2002 12:10PM

Take out the National Championship caliber Harvard years through 1990ish and what is the record?

Date: November 21, 2002 12:26PM

That's very odd, because I count us being 7-2-2 at Lynah since "The Reawakening" on Nov. 11, 1995. You obviously aren't counting the home playoff games in your total. 4-2-1 if you count home regular season games only.

However, you have done a fine job at uncovering a good source of hate. I remember other members of the Class of '99 coming into their final Harvard Game as undergrads with a 9-0-1 record vs. Crimson. They got a little too cocky with their "what's the big deal about beating Harvard?" attitude. They lost that last game, and will eat crow the rest of their lives, if I have anything to say about it. :-P

Much like the Clarkson Class of '96 who had one more game to become the first class (perhaps ever) to go undefeated vs. SLU. They lost.

Anyway, the history through 1999-2000: [www.hockey.cornell.edu]

Posted by: Erica (---)
Date: November 21, 2002 12:46PM

Much like the Clarkson Class of '96 who had one more game to become the first class (perhaps ever) to go undefeated vs. SLU. They lost.

And, might I say, much like the current crop of Dartmouth seniors...

BTW, if they're the first class to go undefeated against SLU, aren't they also the first class ever? (Just trying to figure out why the parentheses are there.)

Date: November 21, 2002 02:04PM

Erica wrote:
[Q]BTW, if they're the first class to go undefeated against SLU, aren't they also the first class ever? (Just trying to figure out why the parentheses are there.)[/Q]

The parentheses are there because it's an uncertain aside in my own thought process. I was originally going to say something like "the first class in many years" or "X decades," but then had the "maybe it's the first ever, but I don't know" thought and left that in as a parenthetical and omitted the other stuff. I assumed that one of our Clarkson friends might chime in with an agreement or correction. So geez...lighten up on the literal deconstruction of my grammar. :-)

Date: November 21, 2002 02:11PM

For that matter, the ten-year regular-season winless streak was part of the reason that the hatred of Harvard was at such a high level when Schafer took over in 1995.

Date: November 21, 2002 05:31PM

On a related note, do you think there's currently a huge hatred of Dartmouth among the Faithful in the present? I know I hate 'em, and I know a few others who do as well, but I can't speak for everyone. What do you think?

Dartmouth(sUcKS. . .)
Date: November 21, 2002 05:50PM

at the moment they are a very close second.:-(

Date: November 21, 2002 06:41PM

I dunno about very close for me, but definitely second.

Posted by: melissa (---)
Date: November 21, 2002 10:27PM

The forum is definitely popular. Heck - it is even used for USCHO articles:

From USCHO

"If you pay any attention to ECAC hockey, you surely know that the big Harvard at Cornell matchup will take place Friday night at Lynah Rink. We've talked at nauseam about the fish, and everyone knows that Big Red fans hate Harvard.

The fact that the Cornell student newspaper ran a story on Thursday entitled "Harvard — You Still Suck" and then the following day provided a how-to guide for students planning to smuggle fish into the rink speaks clearly to that point.

Then there are the rampant and always entertaining Message Board posts about the rivalry. If you believe everything that is typed, you now know that Sam Paolini's mother won the 50-50 raffle at last February's game, you think that the Harvard coaching staff has been trying desperately to move the game to a neutral site and that the movie Love Story was a work of "Satan or his closest corporeal counterpart."

"

Posted by: Josh '99 (---)
Date: November 21, 2002 11:44PM

Melissa wrote:

If you believe everything that is typed, you now know that Sam Paolini's mother won the 50-50 raffle at last February's game...
Well, she DID.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---)
Date: November 21, 2002 11:54PM

One of the guys who got revenge on Volonnino wrote:

On a related note, do you think there's currently a huge hatred of Dartmouth among the Faithful in the present? I know I hate 'em, and I know a few others who do as well, but I can't speak for everyone. What do you think?
I hate Dartmouth. My USCHO tagline even said so.

Not more than Harvard or Penn, but more than Clarkson at this point.

Date: November 22, 2002 10:41AM

Josh: Have you forgotten already about the dirty junk Clarkson pulled in that game last year?

Posted by: Josh '99 (207.10.33.---)
Date: November 22, 2002 11:21AM

littleredfan wrote:

Josh: Have you forgotten already about the dirty junk Clarkson pulled in that game last year?
No, but with us being 6-1 against them over the past 3 years, my hate for them is just somewhat diluted. Much of it left with Willie Mitchell, as well. I still hate them though, and if we beat Dartmouth in February, I'll be glad to move Clarkson back up. :-))

Date: November 22, 2002 02:30PM

FYI: We started that crap last year. . .remember Palahicky clocked someone in corner which lead to the festivities that ensued.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login