Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Alumni in the Pros MAY '05

Posted by The Rancor 
Alumni in the Pros MAY '05
Posted by: The Rancor (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 07, 2006 04:25PM

why not?

will Doug Murray play tonight?

who among alumni are still active pros? (or will be next season)

Re: Alumni in the Pros MAY '05
Posted by: French Rage (---.washdc.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: May 07, 2006 06:58PM

Is Neiuwendyk still in next year?

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: pfibiger (66.77.101.---)
Date: May 08, 2006 11:02AM

he signed a two year contract, but now at least one sportswriter has heard rumor that he's going to retire:

[www.ottawasun.com]

"C Joe Nieuwendyk, who has a year remaining on his contract with the Panthers is expected to retire."

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: May 09, 2006 02:59AM

Doug hasn't seen the ice for the Sharks since the last game of the regular season on April 17th. I think Wilson has settled on McLaren, Hannan, Preissing, Ehrhoff, Carle and Gorges as their top six for the playoffs. Seems to be working for them, too, as the Sharks have won their last six games (four in a row against Nashville after losing the first game and then the first two against Edmonton), with all of them except for Gorges having at least one point in the playoffs. Carle's got 3, Ehrhoff 6, and Preissing 7, which makes one nervous for Doug's long-term prospects in view of his one point in 34 regular season games. uhoh

Posted by: Harrier (---.clarityconnect.net)
Date: May 09, 2006 09:52AM

why would he retire? He was awesome in the second half, healthy again, and making good $$ next year...

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: May 09, 2006 12:44PM

Harrier
why would he retire? He was awesome in the second half, healthy again, and making good $$ next year...
Lot's of possible reasons. He may not be that healthy or may not want to deal with the rigors of another NHL season. He may think his team's prospects are dim and doesn't want to play on a losing team. He may want to relax, or travel, or spend time with family. The money is probably not a big deal at this point.

As much as I find it hard to imagine myself ever willingly giving up a professional sports career (especially as I sit here killing time at my job) I suspect it's different when you've been doing it for 20 years rather than simply fantasizing about it.

Posted by: calgARI '07 (205.232.75.---)
Date: May 09, 2006 01:37PM

Expect Murray to be moved this summer.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: May 09, 2006 02:16PM

Harrier
It may be a gentle hint to the Panthers to move him to a contender.

Posted by: Roy 82 (---.SRI.COM)
Date: May 09, 2006 02:31PM

I agree that the Sharks don't seem to be interested in Doug's hard-hitting defensive style right now. Matt carle has more points but he often gets them by taking risks. His plus-minus was lower than Doug's in the regular season and is among the lowest on the team right now.

If the Sharks get into a physical battle I wonder (hope) if they might not want Doug back in the lineup. Ville Niemenen (sp) is dishing out hits big time for the Sharks.

BTW, Darren Eliot did color commentary for the Sharks on OLN last night. They made some joke about how many philiosophy books he read in college becuase he went to Cornell. It is good to see him once again backing up NBC color-man Brian Hayward.:)

Posted by: Harrier (---.clarityconnect.net)
Date: May 09, 2006 04:25PM

That team would be rudderless without Joe. Can't see him hanging them up healthy and so productive.

Posted by: jkahn (216.146.73.---)
Date: May 09, 2006 04:47PM

Roy 82

BTW, Darren Eliot did color commentary for the Sharks on OLN last night. They made some joke about how many philiosophy books he read in college becuase he went to Cornell. It is good to see him once again backing up NBC color-man Brian Hayward.:)
The play-by-play jokingly asked Darren if Bryzgalov went to Cornell, because Bryzgalov has been reading Plato and Socrates and says it gives him a perspective which helps his game. I thought it was a real good Cornell mention - obviously he wouldn't have said that about lots of other schools. Darren responded that he knew from experience that back-up goalies have a lot of time to read.

In other Cornell connections to the Stanley Cup, one of the guys that Lenny beat out for the goalie spot on the '02-'03 Canada World Junior team was Cam Ward, who's been absolutely great for Carolina. And Chris Kunitz of Anaheim has been real strong at forward for the Ducks - he was a Hobey Hat Trick finalist with Lenny. Kunitz is a power forward type with good hands whose presence might make it more difficult for Shane Hynes to move up, although if Hynes develops, two is better than one.

Posted by: Rich S (12.162.105.---)
Date: May 09, 2006 05:02PM

IIRC, he's had some injury problems the past couple years and may not be as healthy as he'd like.

Many pros retire before they sustain a more serious injury, especially after having accomplished as much as Joe has. At that age, they are looking ahead towards the rest of their lives.

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: May 09, 2006 06:34PM

Rich S
IIRC, he's had some injury problems the past couple years and may not be as healthy as he'd like.

Many pros retire before they sustain a more serious injury, especially after having accomplished as much as Joe has. At that age, they are looking ahead towards the rest of their lives.

Amazing what not being at each others' throats (during the season) can do to your perspective of the other guy's perspective. Rich speaks the truth. Pushing 40 is old for hockey and young for life. Joe might be thinking about how more pounding his knees can take and whether another year of hockey takes 5 years off his ability to walk without pain. Plus if you retire on the top of your game (a little late for Joe), people remember you more positively. Babe Ruth was lousy at the end and people still remembered him, but there are many more where you wonder why he didn't call it a career two years before he did.

Date: May 09, 2006 09:32PM

calgARI '07
Expect Murray to be moved this summer.

Back down or to another team?

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: May 09, 2006 10:38PM

billhoward
Babe Ruth was lousy at the end and people still remembered him, but there are many more where you wonder why he didn't call it a career two years before he did.
Like watching Willie Mays--the greatest I've ever seen (and, no, even I don't go back as far as Ruth)--embarrass himself with the Mets at the end of his career.

Date: May 09, 2006 10:48PM

billhoward
but there are many more where you wonder why he didn't call it a career two years before he did.

See : Michael Jordan and the Washington Wizards

Posted by: RichS (12.162.105.---)
Date: May 10, 2006 05:03PM

I saw Willie at Shea in '73 and it hurt to watch. Even worse was his misplay(s) in the '73 series against Oakland, if I recall correctly.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: May 10, 2006 07:10PM

RichS
I saw Willie at Shea in '73 and it hurt to watch. Even worse was his misplay(s) in the '73 series against Oakland, if I recall correctly.
I don't remember the specifics of where, when, or against whom, but I remember some very embarrassing misplays. For a Giants fan who watched Willie at the Polo Grounds in the early 50s, they were simply unbearable to watch. Say hey!

Posted by: fullofgas (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: May 10, 2006 10:09PM

Babe Ruth played hockey? nut

Date: May 11, 2006 01:40PM

fullofgas
Babe Ruth played hockey? nut
Yeah and for Cornell too. Didn't you know that?

Date: May 11, 2006 04:20PM

Oh sure. And next you will tell us that Pop Warner had a Cornell connection too.:)

Posted by: ugarte (---.z065105093.nyc-ny.dsl.cnc.net)
Date: May 11, 2006 04:56PM

billhoward
Babe Ruth was lousy at the end and people still remembered him
I just noticed this. Ruth's last part-year in Boston wasn't very good, but his last full season in NY, at 39, his BA/OBP/SLG was .288/.448/.537.

Fat? Sure. Drunk? Probably. Lousy? Hardly.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2006 04:57PM by ugarte.

Date: May 11, 2006 05:12PM

ugarte
I just noticed this. Ruth's last part-year in Boston wasn't very good, but his last full season in NY, at 39, his BA/OBP/SLG was .288/.448/.537.

Fat? Sure. Drunk? Probably. Lousy? Hardly.
In context, the league average in 1934 was .279/.351/.399. He was still 4th in the league in OBP and 5th in OBP, both due significantly to his 3rd best 104 BB. Although he was clearly in decline in '33 and '34, the numbers still show that he was a valuable player.

Date: May 11, 2006 11:17PM

Al DeFlorio
RichS
I don't remember the specifics of where, when, or against whom, but I remember some very embarrassing misplays. For a Giants fan who watched Willie at the Polo Grounds in the early 50s, they were simply unbearable to watch. Say hey!

Maybe if the pros had had better retirement plans back then, there might have been a trace less reason to try to draw a big league salary one more year before it's off to being a greeter to high rollers at Mohegan Sun.

Ken Dryden timed it just right. In and out in, what, eight years. So was he, will he be, Cornell's greatest athlete-who-did-something-with-his-life-also ... our Bill Bradley? I suppose Brud Holland '39 (Al, was he a classmate or did he graduate a year early?) had an amazing career after football, too. Ed Marinaro was amazing on the field, but Hill Street Blues isn't Parliament or the Senate.

Posted by: Anna '03 (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 13, 2006 12:36PM

Cute article about hockey sticks in the Times, and great mention of Nieuwendyk toward the end.

[www.nytimes.com]

Posted by: Drew (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 13, 2006 07:56PM

I read it on the commute into the city on Fri, great story about Nieuwendyk (sp? don't kill me on it). I had the pleasure of watching him play while at Clarkson. Pro, total pro hands down, we all knew it back then.

Posted by: Rich S (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 13, 2006 08:41PM

many similarities between Joe N. and Taylor, on and off the ice.

Date: May 14, 2006 08:19AM

dustin brown has 4 goals, and a hat trick, in the World Championships. he plays well against international competition.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: May 16, 2006 12:14PM

RichS

Mays made an error in game one of that series as the starting CF. I don't recall the details. My primary memory of Willie during the series is that he pinch ran (!) in game two, took over in the outfield, and then got a hit during the Mets' big rally in the 12th inning.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2006 12:14PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: jkahn (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: May 20, 2006 04:58PM

One alum whose team is still playing is Sabres assistant coach Brian McCutcheon '71. During the 2nd period of today's game, the by-the-bench announcer, Joe Micheletti, commented on the active and excellent job that Brian was doing changing the Buffalo D, especially tricky as they were down to 5 defenseman starting the 2nd period and because of the longer change during that period.

Date: May 24, 2006 10:13PM

player report cards from hockeysfuture.com
lots of cornell alumni reports:

Will Ryan O’Byrne sign with the Canadiens during the college offseason?

John D.
Dubuque, IA

Thank you for the question John. We thought we might take this opportunity to address O’Byrne specifically and touch upon other college stand-outs that might be looking to sign with an NHL organization this offseason.

O’Byrne is a big-bodied defenseman for Cornell University. To date, we have not heard anything regarding O'Byrne leaving Cornell early to sign with Montreal. But the offseason is still young.

---------------------------------------------------------

11. Doug Murray, D Age: 25
Grade: 6.0 B
Acquired: 8th Rd, 241st Overall, 1999 NHL Entry Draft

It took Doug Murray some time, but the project eighth round defenseman taken in the 1999 NHL Entry Draft out of the Eastern Junior Hockey League has finally gotten his NHL opportunity.

A Hobey Baker finalist his junior season at Cornell University, Murray impressed all with his open-ice hitting and cannon shot in his rookie pro season with the Cleveland Barons in 2003-04. Murray has battled a nagging shoulder injury, the NHL lockout, and a hip injury his first two seasons with Cleveland, and despite starting the 2005-06 season in Cleveland, where he scored one goal and seven assists in two games, Murray has acquitted himself well in the NHL.

Recalled Dec. 2, the 6'3, 240-pound skating linebacker has provided San Jose with a physical presence on the blue line and an open ice hitter to match Kyle McLaren. Murray has skated primarily as a sixth defenseman, as he's averaged 14:34 of ice time after 28 games and has only one assist. A shoulder injury kept him out of the line-up heading into the Olympic Break.

In order to assure his place in San Jose's future line-up, as San Jose has a number of good prospect defensemen in the system, Murray must continue to improve his skating and footspeed, vital in the new NHL. He also must find a way to stay healthy. Murray has the potential to be a physical fifth defenseman who can fill in on the power play now and again with his point shot. At worst, he should be a serviceable seventh defenseman.

------------------------------------------------------------

What physical defenseman was used to shut down the opponent's top lines after Brad Stuart was traded to Boston in the Thornton trade? Rookie Doug Murray.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Doug Murray, D (26)
8th Rd, 241st overall, 1999 NHL Entry Draft

It's been a long journey for Doug Murray, drafted in the eighth round of the 1999 NHL Entry Draft out of the Eastern Junior Hockey League's New York Apple Core, but the Cornell University grad's hard work has paid off with NHL action in 2005-06.

The hard-hitting, 6'3, 240-pound blueliner established himself as one of the top open-ice hitters in the organization while with the Cleveland Barons When Brad Stuart was traded to Boston, Murray was the defenseman San Jose recalled to maintain a physical presence on the back end. Murray scored a goal and seven assists in 20 games for the Barons before being recalled Dec. 1 by San Jose. By late December, Murray was receiving a regular shift and being used to shut down opponents' top forwards.

However, as January wore on, Murray's ice time decreased from over 18 minutes per game to around 13 minutes per game, and then he suffered a shoulder injury Feb. 4 against Anaheim. By the time Murray was healthy in mid-March, although he did play three games in late February and early March, Christian Ehrhoff had solidified his game and was playing over 20 minutes per game and Josh Gorges too had solidified his spot in the Sharks line-up. Murray played only six games for the Sharks down the stretch and had yet to play in the NHL playoffs through ten playoff games.

It's not because Murray isn't an NHL-worthy defenseman, though.

"He played well, then he hurt his shoulder, and then he got healthy and he couldn't get back into the line-up," Burke said of Murray's dilemma. "It's not like he's out of the line-up because he can't be in the league, it's just that we've gotten on a roll."

Murray has been criticized for his skating and footspeed, but he's been able to use his awareness to keep himself out of the penalty box while maintaining his physical presence.

"People would think he'd struggle with the new rules, but he doesn't," Burke said. "He's not a stick guy and a hooker."

Despite establishing himself on Cleveland's power play with his heavy point shot, Murray was a defensive defenseman for San Jose. In 34 games, Murray had a lone assist and 21 shots. Although Murray had trouble cracking San Jose's line-up down the stretch and in the playoffs, his work ethic should ensure that he stays in the NHL.

"He's a kid that, you give him some information, he'll do it a million times 'til he gets it right," Burke said.

Murray is 26 years old, has played three pro seasons, and has played fewer than 80 NHL games, but the fact that he was not technically under an NHL contract during the lockout means he is not eligible for Group VI unrestricted free agency. Even though Murray did not play for the Sharks in the playoffs, he's an NHL-caliber player, and the rest of the NHL knows it.

"I don't think you'd be surprised to know that a lot of teams called about him at the trade deadline," Burke said. "A lot of teams need this kind of player."

Given how poorly Kyle McLaren played against Edmonton, Murray may be able to make McLaren expendable. McLaren was paid $1,900,000 in 2005-06, Murray may only make a third of that in 2006-07. In bang for your buck, Doug Murray is a smart choice, and he wouldn't let Raffi Torres have his way with the team.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

David LeNeveu, G (Age 22)

One man’s loss is another man’s gain. So was the case when the Coyotes lost goalie Brain Boucher to an injury in the preseason. David LeNeveu stepped into his role and alternated with Curtis Joseph early on, seeing action in nine games before he was sent to San Antonio to play the bulk of season.

The Fernie, British Columbia native would rejoin the team in late March and saw time in an additional six contests. Overall, he went 3-8-0, had a 3.24 goals against average and a .886 save percentage in a total of 15 games played.

Smith on LeNeveu’s two stints with the Coyotes: “LeNeveu had a good start for us, but he had to go down to the minors to get his ice time. There was no sense to keep him up when Boucher came back healthy. He played very well in the AHL and earned himself a chance to come back up towards the end of the season. We need to discuss whether he goes back down to get more playing experience, he stays up with us next season, and if he stays, can he help us win games at this level. We don’t put numbers on anybody’s backs. It all depends how well he comes through training camp and what the next season will bring.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

After seeing time with the Coyotes early on in the season as a backup to Curtis Joseph, David LeNeveu returned to San Antonio to get his minutes in and continue to pad his experience in the AHL. While he can handle the talent in the league, he seemed overburdened at times. LeNeveu still had respectable numbers going 10-12-6 in 28 games played. He finished with a 2.92 goals against average; a .921 save percentage and snuck in two shutouts.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mckee achieved a great deal of success in the NAHL. During his first and only year for Texas, Mckee went 26-7, had a GAA of 2.41, and a save percentage of .899. He was also named to the NAHL First team, and the NAHL All-Rookie team.
2003-04: Mckee came in as a freshman and was a force in net for the Big Red. He went 16-10-6 with a GAA of 1.84 and a save % of .920. He was named ECACHL Co-Rookie of the year, second team all-Ivy, and Honorable mention All-ECACHL.

2004-05: Mckee had a dominant sophomore season. He went 27-5-3 with a GAA of 1.24, and a save % of .947. He also posted 10 shutouts, which, along with his five shutouts from the previous year, gave him the Cornell record for most career shutouts previously held by Montreal Canadiens Hall of Fame goaltender Ken Dryden. His 10 shutouts also set a Cornell and ECACHL single season record for most shutouts in a season. He was named Ivy League player of the year and first team all-Ivy, First Team All-ECACHL, ECACHL Player of the Year, and the Ken Dryden award that is awarded to the ECACHL’s top goalie. He was also a First Team All-American and was one of the hat trick finalists for the Hobey Baker Award given to college hockey’s top player.

2005-06: As a junior, Mckee posted a 22-9-4 record, along with a 2.08 GAA and a .910 save %. He was named as one of the finalists for the Hobey Baker Award, and was recently signed to a contract by the Anaheim Mighty Ducks.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stephen Bâby, RW
7th round, 198th overall, 1999
Bâby had a good season point-wise when he was in the lineup, but missed the last two months of the year with a concussion. His 22 points in 39 games was by far the most productive of his three seasons with the Wolves. His penalty minutes were dramatically down, only 44 compared to 115 last year.

The 1999 pick was re-signed in 2005.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

yup.

Posted by: cth95 (---.a-315.westelcom.com)
Date: May 25, 2006 03:14AM

Thanks for summarizing all of that. Great post.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: May 25, 2006 11:18AM

Matt Underhill's Alaska Aces won the first game of the Kelly Cup finals, the ECHL's championship series. Can't seem to find a box score but game recaps say that Underhill did play.

Posted by: Avash (---.net.nih.gov)
Date: May 25, 2006 11:25AM

jmh30
Matt Underhill's Alaska Aces won the first game of the Kelly Cup finals, the ECHL's championship series. Can't seem to find a box score but game recaps say that Underhill did play.

Box score - [www.echl.com]. Underhill stopped 34 shots in a 3-2 win.

Posted by: mgl11 (---.pwayne01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: May 25, 2006 01:53PM

more info, including Matt's plan to retire after the season. Here's hoping he goes out on top.

[www.echl.com]

Date: May 25, 2006 02:04PM

Story says Underhill, suffering from a back injury, wants to teach English.

Date: May 25, 2006 04:12PM

I saw an article about McKee on ESPN's website today. There is nothing we don't know, but it is linked as one of the 3 daily stories under NHL on the home page. Very good publicity for him and Cornell.

[sports.espn.go.com]
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2006 04:13PM by cth95.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 25, 2006 09:08PM

cth95
There is nothing we don't know
Actually, I didn't know that he is on the playoff roster.

Date: May 26, 2006 02:28AM

and I didn't know that Cornell "lost to eventual national champion Wisconsin at this year's Frozen Four". :)

Date: May 26, 2006 06:04AM

You guys read it closer than I did. I just skimmed quickly, seeing the focus about a goalie from the south. I didn't think about the playoff roster, and I didn't catch the FF mistake. Although wrong, maybe the multiple FF references noticed this spring could be good publicity as far as raising the perception of Cornell hockey to general hockey fans (and recruits).

Posted by: Bio '04 (---.cas.psu.edu)
Date: May 26, 2006 10:49AM

ugarte
cth95
There is nothing we don't know
Actually, I didn't know that he is on the playoff roster.

I think I remember reading about that on this board before...

edit: But isn't he ineligible?
[elf.elynah.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2006 10:50AM by Bio '04.

Posted by: profudge (---.ct.us.ibm.com)
Date: June 01, 2006 02:00PM

From ESPN (Scott Burnside) article about Gretzky's challenge over next couple of years coaching Phoenix
[Q]...
Can this team challenge for a playoff berth in 2006-07?

Promising young netminder Dave LeNeveu will see more action next season but also will have the benefit of working with veteran Curtis Joseph, who recently re-signed with the Coyotes. LeNeveu will have to prove he is ready to assume a starting role in the NHL if the Coyotes are to take another step forward.
...[/Q]
for whole article see [sports.espn.go.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login