Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

CORNELL HOCKEY ALUMNI LAUNCH CLOTHING LINE

Posted by Ryan Vesce 
Posted by: Ryan Vesce (---.hsd1.ga.comcast.net)
Date: May 03, 2006 10:34PM

Hockey Luminaries Ryan Vesce and Ben Wallace Announce Their New Lifestyle Brand:
Salmon Cove

COLD SPRING HARBOR, NY – May 4, 2006 – Former Cornell University hockey players Ryan Vesce and Ben Wallace today announced the launch of their new clothing line, Salmon Cove. The unveiling comes after more than a year of planning and designing, all of which started with an idea the two came up with while still playing at Cornell.

“We wanted to start a brand that represented who we are,” said Vesce. “Both Ben and I feel that this brand is the embodiment of what it means to be successful while living an enjoyable life. By wearing the Salmon, it communicates that you actively pursue your dreams and have the confidence to swim against the current.”

Currently the brand’s pinnacle item is “The Premier Shirt”, an updated version of the classic polo shirt, available in a variety of colors for both men and women. The company does have plans to expand the brand to a full product line which will include: hats, pants, dress shirts, belts, sandals, and much more.

“Both Ryan and I received an immense amount of support from this community as hockey players at Cornell,” said Wallace. “We hope to receive that continued support in our new endeavor, Salmon Cove.”

The shirts will be available via the brands website www.salmoncove.com within the next month, and will retail for $65. The brand is currently available in stores in Long Island, with plans to expand to throughout the whole country in the near future.

For more information on the brand, or for wholesale information please visit www.salmoncove.com.

# # #

Re: CORNELL HOCKEY ALUMNI LAUNCH CLOTHING LINE
Posted by: nr53 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: May 04, 2006 02:55AM

Ahhh the popped collars... they hurt my eyes.

Just personal preference. :-P

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.krose.org)
Date: May 04, 2006 08:50AM

I can't wait until they discover HTML, so I can see what they're trying to sell me. rolleyes

Kyle

Posted by: ftyuv (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: May 04, 2006 11:01AM

krose
I can't wait until they discover HTML, so I can see what they're trying to sell me. rolleyes

On the one hand, you have a point. On the other, if you're so outdated or off-the-beaten-path that you don't have Flash installed, you're probably not in their target audience.

Posted by: atb9 (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: May 04, 2006 11:01AM

I'm thinking Windows users are more of their target audience... ;-)

Posted by: atb9 (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: May 04, 2006 11:08AM

ftyuv
krose

On the one hand, you have a point. On the other, if you're so outdated or off-the-beaten-path that you don't have Flash installed, you're probably not in their target audience.

Ha, yeah, what he said. I was initially going to go with a comment about how Kyle doesn't put gel in his hair... ;-) :-P

Posted by: JasonN95 (---.nyc.deshaw.com)
Date: May 04, 2006 11:31AM

What I find distressing is that they have two options for their premiere shirt that use Syracuse's color scheme and not one that uses Cornell's. Ack! :-)

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.cmbrmaks.akamai.com)
Date: May 04, 2006 11:40AM

ftyuv
Two things:

(1) I have flash installed. But I am using Firefox on Linux, so their site evidently requires either Windows or IE.

(2) They are limiting their potential market by requiring flash, something that is blocked not only by technological idiocy (websites that can't launch flash in a OS-independent manner) but by lots of personal firewalls. I'm not saying they should not have a flash site, but they should also support the standard for web communication, which is some flavor of HTML.

Kyle

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: May 04, 2006 11:49AM

krose
ftyuv
Two things:

(1) I have flash installed. But I am using Firefox on Linux, so their site evidently requires either Windows or IE.

(2) They are limiting their potential market by requiring flash, something that is blocked not only by technological idiocy (websites that can't launch flash in a OS-independent manner) but by lots of personal firewalls. I'm not saying they should not have a flash site, but they should also support the standard for web communication, which is some flavor of HTML.

What he said. I also have Flash installed (I wish Mozilla gave me more control over it so I could kill intrusive ads), and was also unable to view the page.

What's amazing is that people continue to try to be high-tech in their web design and in the process skip over getting the basic stuff that would make the site accessible to everyone right.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: May 04, 2006 11:49AM

atb9
I'm thinking Windows users are more of their target audience... ;-)

Their business model depends on security holes?

Posted by: Jerseygirl (209.191.246.---)
Date: May 04, 2006 12:37PM

I dunno, when more girly colors roll out, I'd probably spring for one. I'm not real big on orange.

Posted by: Chris 02 (---.aere.iastate.edu)
Date: May 04, 2006 12:57PM

Is Vesce done playing hockey? He played in all 80 games for Springfield (AHL) and finished tied in 28th overall in scoring with 18G and 49A.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.raytheon.com)
Date: May 04, 2006 03:49PM

krose
ftyuv
Two things:

I saw it fine on Firefox on OS X last night.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: May 04, 2006 05:06PM

Chris 02
Is Vesce done playing hockey? He played in all 80 games for Springfield (AHL) and finished tied in 28th overall in scoring with 18G and 49A.
Played in the AHL All-Star Game too. I obviously can't speak for what his long-term plans are, but it'd seem that if he wants to keep playing, the option would be optn to him.

As for the shirts... popped collars. Yech. uhoh

Posted by: judy (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 04, 2006 09:10PM

jtwcornell91
krose
ftyuv
Two things:

What he said. I also have Flash installed (I wish Mozilla gave me more control over it so I could kill intrusive ads), and was also unable to view the page.

What's amazing is that people continue to try to be high-tech in their web design and in the process skip over getting the basic stuff that would make the site accessible to everyone right.

And I viewed it fine in Firefox on a Windows machine.
However, I have a preference for straight HTML. I have a theory that the business oriented people who like to package it up all pretty and "spiffy" but forgets about the general usability of the site. Yes, I'm on a fiber connection and this stuff loads in about 2 seconds. but that's 2 seconds wasted staring at the little load bar for EVERY PAGE THAT HAS TO LOAD so that I don't really want to bother going through every page. And they think us programmers should take a course in creating friendly user interfaces... rolleyes pretty does not always equal functional.

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: May 04, 2006 09:38PM

jtwcornell91
I also have Flash installed (I wish Mozilla gave me more control over it so I could kill intrusive ads)

If by "Mozilla" you mean Mozilla Firefox, they have an extension called Flashblock that (as the name implies) blocks all Flash content from automatically loading, including Flash ads. Instead of seeing the Flash content, you get a little Flash logo button that you can click on to load it, if you want to do so. This looks somewhat annoying on the pages that are Flash dependent for site navigation and such, but in my opinion, it's well worth it to block the huge number of Flash ads out there these days.

Posted by: ftyuv (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: May 04, 2006 10:19PM

Will
jtwcornell91
I also have Flash installed (I wish Mozilla gave me more control over it so I could kill intrusive ads)

If by "Mozilla" you mean Mozilla Firefox, they have an extension called Flashblock that (as the name implies) blocks all Flash content from automatically loading, including Flash ads. Instead of seeing the Flash content, you get a little Flash logo button that you can click on to load it, if you want to do so. This looks somewhat annoying on the pages that are Flash dependent for site navigation and such, but in my opinion, it's well worth it to block the huge number of Flash ads out there these days.

Or you can use adblock, which has wildcard-enabled filters. This lets you focus in on the flash ads while still allowing other flash stuff.

Btw, firefox also has an extension called User Agent Switcher to trick the server into thinking you're running on something other than Linux+Firefox.

Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: May 05, 2006 08:11AM

Give them credit for entrepreneurial spirit. The world could do worse that to have more Cornell alums running hockey teams (and large portions of Canada). Craig Brush '70 has a first class operation in Estero, Florida. Maybe shirts are the first step ... although, gad, how many do you have to sell to make back four years of tuition times two guys?

That said, orange collar lining? And the stand-up collars are going to be murder on people without long necks. They have to be normal collars turned up for the photo shoots ... right?

Wouldn't hurt to spend a few dollars on an English major to read the manuscript, take out excess quotes (like around Premier and Salmon) in the copy, and show them where the caps unlock key is (see subject line). And to switch out of Flash. Another poster sniffed that if you don't have Flash, you're probably not their audience ... but the flip side is, why do anything to annoy possible buyers? The worst sin (not here) is to design Web pages on a 23-inch Mac monitor when you're a 25-year-old graphic artist with corrected 20/20 vision, and then assume everyone else has the same eyesight and monitor size and font scalability you do. (But, hey, Windows Vista will fix font scaling. Or so they said.) Perhaps you don't want to sell to people as ancient as Mike Schafer with imperfect vision? Fair enough, but if you send a bookmarked page to the parents as part of your holiday wishlist and they can't read it, they'll go off and get something else.

Posted by: Drew (199.43.48.---)
Date: May 05, 2006 12:15PM

Guess the off season is tough for you guys as well. snore
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2006 01:08PM by Drew.

Posted by: ugarte (---.z065105093.nyc-ny.dsl.cnc.net)
Date: May 05, 2006 12:52PM

Drew
Guess the off season is tough for you guys, as well. snore
Mostly we just talk about clothes and the NCAA's.

Posted by: Beeeej (38.136.58.---)
Date: May 05, 2006 01:02PM

krose
(2) They are limiting their potential market by requiring flash, something that is blocked not only by technological idiocy (websites that can't launch flash in a OS-independent manner) but by lots of personal firewalls.

I really shouldn't be trying to look at their site at work in the first place. :-D

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.raytheon.com)
Date: May 05, 2006 03:33PM

Gee, if Ryan Vesce can't post on here without being criticized, what chance to the rest of us have? ;-) help

Posted by: cth95 (---.a-315.westelcom.com)
Date: May 05, 2006 04:01PM

I think the shirts look pretty good. I don't know about wearing my collar up, but I don't mind the orange accents. I think they are pretty modern. My taste is pretty boring, so I usually let girls pick out my clothes for me. (Who else am I wearing them for? :-) ) I would not have picked out orange myself, but I am wearing a darker orange Izod polo shirt right now that an exgirlfriend who manages the visual set-up of a department store got me. Now that I have it, I think that it makes me look more stylish than some of my older shirts do. Considering her store continues to rank as having some of the best displays within her company, I won't argue.

The quality of the shirts looks very good from what I can see on the website, and they do have some subtle differences in the design from typical poll shirts, like the two-toned collars, that I like.

Posted by: ugarte (---.z065105093.nyc-ny.dsl.cnc.net)
Date: May 05, 2006 05:03PM

DeltaOne81
Gee, if Ryan Vesce can't post on here without being criticized, what chance to the rest of us have? ;-) help
Just call it market research.

Posted by: CowbellGuy (Moderator)
Date: May 05, 2006 05:13PM

I don't know why. I'm bored.

Posted by: Redscore (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: May 05, 2006 08:45PM

billhoward
Give them credit for entrepreneurial spirit. The world could do worse that to have more Cornell alums running hockey teams (and large portions of Canada). Craig Brush '70 has a first class operation in Estero, Florida. Maybe shirts are the first step ... although, gad, how many do you have to sell to make back four years of tuition times two guys?

Two high school guys selling shirts = Life is Good = Millions

Posted by: Rita (---.agry.purdue.edu)
Date: May 06, 2006 12:03AM

CowbellGuy

I'm glad you were and posted the dog picture, I couldn't get the web page to load and even though I have flash on my Mac, I didn't have time to see what was wrong.

I think that color orange would look good on my dog Morgan and most definitely on my Mom's black Chow. Morgan is mostly black with tan legs and white "hound markings" on her chest in paws. The white is just not practical for canine wear and the dark blue would be too hot in the summer. Is there a canine version? :-}

Morgan is very photogenic, and would be a good dog model to use andhit that often forgotten 10-15 (70-105 canine yrs) demographic.

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: May 06, 2006 04:58AM

Rita
CowbellGuy

I'm glad you were and posted the dog picture, I couldn't get the web page to load and even though I have flash on my Mac, I didn't have time to see what was wrong.

I think that color orange would look good on my dog Morgan and most definitely on my Mom's black Chow. Morgan is mostly black with tan legs and white "hound markings" on her chest in paws. The white is just not practical for canine wear and the dark blue would be too hot in the summer. Is there a canine version? :-}

Morgan is very photogenic, and would be a good dog model to use andhit that often forgotten 10-15 (70-105 canine yrs) demographic.

Canines...the next big exploitable demographic. :-D

Posted by: Rita (---.resnet.purdue.edu)
Date: May 06, 2006 11:39AM

Will
Rita
CowbellGuy

Canines...the next big exploitable demographic. :-D

I'm not sure about "the next", I think it is HERE! There is a lot of stuff that you can buy for your dog (check out SkyMall next time you fly). Almost every catalog has a decent "pet" section and even the Home and Garden network feature decorative accessories for dogs. If you have a small dog, there is this really cute dog crate/side table unit that was featured on HGTV's "I Want That" (my dog is too big).

I also saw some really nice $150 dog collars in Carmel, CA while window shopping there last March. So yes, if you have disposable income, your canine companion can have quite the stylish life. Doggie Day-Care is also becoming quite popular. The Doggie Day Care place that I take Morgan to a couple of times a month has a swimming pool and underwater treadmill and has a dog physical therapy-rehab unit!
The underwater treadmill and swimming exercises are good for her arthritic bones and that is how I justify Morgan's trips to the "spa" to the people who think I spoil my dog. :-)

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.mtholyoke.edu)
Date: May 06, 2006 01:29PM

Rita
I also saw some really nice $150 dog collars in Carmel, CA while window shopping there last March. So yes, if you have disposable income, your canine companion can have quite the stylish life. Doggie Day-Care is also becoming quite popular. The Doggie Day Care place that I take Morgan to a couple of times a month has a swimming pool and underwater treadmill and has a dog physical therapy-rehab unit!

And people wonder why they people can't afford gas! nut

$3/gallon?? No way! $150 for a dog collar? Sure!

Sorry Rita! ;)

Cowbell T-Shirt (definitely not Salmon Cove)
Posted by: cth95 (---.a-315.westelcom.com)
Date: May 06, 2006 03:22PM

This isn't from Salmon Cove by any means, but I saw this ad and thought it was worth posting. I think the explanation "Because less cowbell would result in less cowbell" is great. Something you might be interested in, Ari? :-)

There are actually quite a few funny shirts at this website.

[www.bustedtees.com]

As a side note, I listened to the SNL skit a few days ago and then heard "Don't Fear the Reaper" a few days later. All these years and I had never really noticed the cowbell in the background. I thought the skit was funny as it is. Now that I realize it is based more on reality than I thought, the skit is great. I can just picture a situation like that really happening.

Edit: The shirt looks a lot better on the woman. ;-)

[www.bustedtees.com]
Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2006 03:28PM by cth95.

Date: May 06, 2006 03:25PM

DeltaOne81
Rita

And people wonder why they people can't afford gas! nut

$3/gallon?? No way! $150 for a dog collar? Sure!

Sorry Rita! ;)

I was only window shopping, not buying. I could just see it, Morgan wearing a $150 collar, sees a cat, makes a lunge for it and there are rhinestones everywhere. Morgan has a nice $20 collar that has served her (and wandering kitties) well for 3 years running. What I would like to have happen is my dog recognized as a dependent so I can deduct her medicines and doctor's visits from my taxes, or at least have them payroll deducted, pre-taxes, as part of Purdue's "Family Flex plan" and deposited directly into an account set up at Purdue's Vet School.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.mtholyoke.edu)
Date: May 06, 2006 04:05PM

Rita
DeltaOne81
Sorry Rita! ;)

I was only window shopping, not buying. I could just see it, Morgan wearing a $150 collar, sees a cat, makes a lunge for it and there are rhinestones everywhere. Morgan has a nice $20 collar that has served her (and wandering kitties) well for 3 years running. What I would like to have happen is my dog recognized as a dependent so I can deduct her medicines and doctor's visits from my taxes, or at least have them payroll deducted, pre-taxes, as part of Purdue's "Family Flex plan" and deposited directly into an account set up at Purdue's Vet School.

Well I didn't mean you per say. But I hoped you wouldn't take offense :)

I'm glad you're not buying it, but if they're selling it, someone is. Probably several of whom later pull it to the pump in their SUV and tell a reporter how they can't afford gas on their budget.

Alright, I'm off topic. Please return to your regularly scheduled fashion and/or technology discussion... :)

Date: May 06, 2006 04:10PM

DeltaOne81
Rita
DeltaOne81
Sorry Rita! ;)

Well I didn't mean you per say. But I hoped you wouldn't take offense :)

I'm glad you're not buying it, but if they're selling it, someone is. Probably several of whom later pull it to the pump in their SUV and tell a reporter how they can't afford gas on their budget.

Alright, I'm off topic. Please return to your regularly scheduled fashion and/or technology discussion... :)

No offense taken. :-). I too think it is ridiculous. But if you can afford to live in Carmel, CA, the dog collar is indeed "chump change".

Date: May 08, 2006 09:35AM

DeltaOne81
I didn't mean you per say.

Since it's the off-season, I can correct spelling. It's "per se" (Latin).

Re: Cowbell T-Shirt (definitely not Salmon Cove)
Posted by: crodger1 (---.abtassoc.com)
Date: May 08, 2006 10:48AM

This'll put us right back on topic, though:

[www.bustedtees.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2006 10:50AM by crodger1.

Posted by: Rich S (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 08, 2006 11:03AM

So do we. But we don't bother with the clothes.

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: May 08, 2006 02:59PM

billhoward
Maybe shirts are the first step ... although, gad, how many do you have to sell to make back four years of tuition times two guys?
Not many, provided you charge enough.

Posted by: Beeeej (38.136.58.---)
Date: May 08, 2006 04:18PM

Rich S
So do we. But we don't bother with the clothes.

Co-ed naked hockey message board!

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: May 08, 2006 05:49PM

Beeeej
Have you seen most of the members of the board?

Ew.

Posted by: DisplacedCornellian (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: May 08, 2006 08:35PM

Trotsky
Beeeej
Have you seen most of the members of the board?

Ew.

My eyes! Ze goggles do nothing!

Posted by: Cactus12 (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: May 09, 2006 01:08AM

If someone could train dogs to play hockey...
now there's an idea that would sell

Posted by: Rich S (12.162.105.---)
Date: May 09, 2006 05:06PM

Speak for yourself Trots.

Besides, I was referring to not bothering with clothes as a topic of discussion. :-D

Posted by: jhib (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: May 09, 2006 06:19PM

Aren't they missing a letter sound in the "premier" pronunciation?

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: May 09, 2006 06:26PM

jhib
You mean premiere vs. premier ... or something else? They got the premier/premiere part right.

Posted by: jhib (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: May 09, 2006 07:46PM

billhoward
jhib
You mean premiere vs. premier ... or something else? They got the premier/premiere part right.

I mean their pronunciation guide doesn't have the sound of the 1st 'e'. I think it's either the short i or long e sound.

Hmmmmm... I guess it's probably a character thing? I just copied and pasted off a dictionary site, and I got (pr-mîr, -myîr, prmîr) as well, even though what I copied had an 'i' with that little parabola thing over it after the first 'pr' and an 'e' with a horizontal line over it after the second 'pr'.

Posted by: James (---.101.46-69.t4g.com)
Date: June 15, 2006 03:40PM

In part because of your feedback, the website at www.salmoncove.com has been updated with an HTML presentation. In time we will try to bring back more of the nifty flash components as add-ons, but please keep the comments coming!!!

Thanks
James Maynard
Webmaster, www.salmoncove.com

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 09, 2008 12:42AM

Posted by: imafrshmn (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 09, 2008 02:22AM

I don't care for their Lifestyle or their Premier shirts, but the female model they have wearing their shirt has QUITE the look.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 09, 2008 08:34AM

imafrshmn
I don't care for their Lifestyle or their Premier shirts, but the female model they have wearing their shirt has QUITE the look.
The look that says "I'm not wearing pants. And I never do."

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.net)
Date: January 09, 2008 10:36AM

ugarte
Almost two years later, Gawker discovers Salmon Cove.
And the comments on the post are right about as obnoxious as I'd expect from Gawker.

Date: January 09, 2008 03:52PM

ugarte
imafrshmn
She looks like a double amputee? uhoh

Posted by: nyc94 (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: January 09, 2008 05:31PM

Josh '99
ugarte
Almost two years later, Gawker discovers Salmon Cove.
And the comments on the post are right about as obnoxious as I'd expect from Gawker.

I did like this one from the body of the article:

their stuff is tailored for those interested in "a life well-lived" which is code for 'loaded and not afraid to show it.'

Posted by: Roy 82 (128.18.14.---)
Date: January 10, 2008 10:11PM

Trotsky
ugarte
imafrshmn
She looks like a double amputee? uhoh

You mean like this one?:
[sportsillustrated.cnn.com]

(Sorry for the "Gotcha" but I couldn't resist pointing out that double amputee, athlete and beautiful fashion model are not mutually exclusive.)
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2008 10:16PM by Roy 82.

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: January 11, 2008 01:44PM

Is it really so impressive to set track records using bionic legs? :-)

Posted by: Chris '03 (137.99.117.---)
Date: January 11, 2008 01:50PM

KeithK

Funny you should ask: [sports.espn.go.com]

Posted by: Robb (12.46.32.---)
Date: January 11, 2008 06:52PM

Chris '03
KeithK

Funny you should ask: [sports.espn.go.com]

A friend of a friend I met in London is working on a documentary on Pistorius. They've been waiting for the final decision on the Olympics to release it. One of the most interesting things is that he runs faster in the second half of the race than the first, which is opposite from "normal" sprinters. To me, that's a pretty strong argument that he really is competing in a different sort of event. There's no question that he is an amazing athlete, but it's just not the same sport - any more than the wheelchair marathon is the same as a regular marathon.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login