Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Observations from the Frozen Four

Posted by Beeeej 
Observations from the Frozen Four
Posted by: Beeeej (38.136.58.---)
Date: April 10, 2006 03:24PM

Miller Park is a really nice place to see a baseball game, and the Brewers are pretty good this year.
Bratwurst is really good.
Butter burgers are really, really good.
Custard is even better than that.

"Chinese food" in Menomonee Falls, however, is not good - at least not by the standards to which I've become accustomed. But it sure is cheap.

Wisconsin won a sloppy semi-final and a great championship game by sticking to their game-plan. What a fantastic, deserving team - and what a shame we'll never know how Cornell might have done, though it's still fun to speculate. Especially because North Dakota and Maine almost completely failed to show up. And by the way, when did Boston College develop a forecheck?!

Sucks does have fans; in fact two of their long-time diehards were behind us in Section 401. Very nice guys, and we exchanged e-mail addresses. They've been to just about every arena except Lynah, so I challenged them to come see us in November as it's a must-see kind of experience. They also invited us to hoist a few with them before the game at Bright in February.

Fans who constantly yell, "Shoot!" during a power play are no less annoying when they're old and wearing LSSU gear. In fact, they kept yelling it even after the two short-handed goals that resulted directly from poor shot selection. One of them even yelled it when a player was trying to unfreeze the puck from the boards behind the net. I swear, no jury would ever convict me.

It was a great pleasure as always to run into and catch up with other Cornell people, including Jeff Kahn, Lou "Swarthmore Motherpuckers" Heavenrich, John Whelan, Rich Hovorka, Susie Curtis, Jen Allard, David & Renee Toth, et al. If I'm forgetting anybody specific, it's not personal. Scersk, I guess I just managed to miss you this time.

I finally corrected a three-year-old error and obtained a 2003 Frozen Four pin, at the expense of one of my spare duplicate CHA pins. I love the fact that there seemed to be a designated pin-trading area before games and between periods, so I could just go there and trade away instead of scouring the hallways for someone with a lot of pins and approaching them randomly. I hope that trend continues.

(Public thanks, by the way, to Anne '85 for so generously replacing the one CHA pin I'd stupidly traded away at the regional in 2003 thinking I had a duplicate when I did not. Anne, I owe you a pin or a beer, your pick.)

The one hotel right across the street from the Savvis Center in St. Louis seems to be already sold out for April 4-8, 2007.

Finally: Under no circumstances should you ever attend a Wisconsin hockey game with a fan named "Jessie Mae" unless you bring earplugs.

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Re: Observations from the Frozen Four
Posted by: jkahn (216.146.73.---)
Date: April 10, 2006 03:52PM

Beeeej

The one hotel right across the street from the Savvis Center in St. Louis seems to be already sold out for April 4-8, 2007.

Beeeej

If you're talking about the Sheraton, though it's sold out on the Sheraton website, I got a room yesterday through explorestlouis.com. The hotel must allocate a certain amount of rooms to that website. The negative is that it has to be prepaid, but it is fully refundable.

Posted by: Jordan 04 (12.42.45.---)
Date: April 10, 2006 03:57PM

Miller Park is a really nice place to see a baseball game, and the Brewers are pretty good this year.

It's a long, long season. They definitely have some pop and some pitching though, which is always a good combination to start with.

What a fantastic, deserving team - and what a shame we'll never know how Cornell might have done, though it's still fun to speculate.

You say fun. Others may say painful. For that reason, I refuse to speculate. :)

Sucks does have fans; in fact two of their long-time diehards were behind us in Section 401.

It's a good thing there were two of them so that you were officially able to use the plural "fans." Otherwise, no guarantees...

I could be very wrong, but I think the more likely scenario is that rates have not yet been loaded for those dates so far in the future, although I'd imagine that should be coming soon (relatively speaking).
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2006 03:58PM by Jordan 04.

Date: April 10, 2006 03:57PM

jkahn
If you're talking about the Sheraton, though it's sold out on the Sheraton website, I got a room yesterday through explorestlouis.com. The hotel must allocate a certain amount of rooms to that website. The negative is that it has to be prepaid, but it is fully refundable.

Thanks, Jeff - but none of that site's hotel reservation links seem to be working right now. I'll try again later.

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Jordan 04 (12.42.45.---)
Date: April 10, 2006 06:03PM

After a couple emails....

Unless you've got deep pockets, you should probably start looking elsewhere beyond the Sheraton across the street.

Word is currently only RACK rate (I don't even know the exact definition, but essentially it's the official "book value" of the room which nobody actually pays...sort of like the "suggested retail price" which nobody every pays) is being sold, which is $379/night for a regular room (and up to $700 for a suite). You can check availability by phone.

Cheaper rates are unlikely to be sold for Frozen Four dates.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: April 10, 2006 06:45PM

Beeeej
Scersk, I guess I just managed to miss you this time.

I am as the wind: an unseen, unstoppable force. You may not have seen me, but I was always there...

...it's just that Friday I was feeling crappy and stayed in.

What I learned this last weekend:

Thursday:

Amtrak employees continue to find new ways to be incompetent.
Milwaukee's a cool town.
I will wear any stupid hat that is given to me for free.
The Wisconsin band and fans are a bit vanilla but very entertaining.
The BC band is outright awful; the BC fans were quiet and pathetic or loud, behind me, and annoying.
I didn't think anything could bring me to want to hug a Maine fan, but I was wrong.
The Fighting Sioux should be the Effing Woodchucks.
Nailing a stump can make for an entertaining bar game.
Hobey Baker was a complete lush.

Friday:

Chicago's the Windy City; Milwaukee's the Second Windy City.
The economic downturn has left many cities with unfinished gentrification.
Even though I like architectural ornamentation, you can go overboard.
Perch > Cod, of course.

Saturday:

The possibilities for egg-roll-style foods are endless.
It's always Miller Time. Always. Remember that: It's Miller Time. Now.
Chicago consumes 40% of the production of the Milwaukee Miller plant.
The High Life is distinctly better than anything Lite or Genuine.
Liberals are sometimes unwelcome drop-in guests at Midwestern bachelor parties.
Wearing a Cornell jersey can make you a celebrity.
I must remember that alcohol is, for me, rather like sodium thiopental (Pentathol).

Sunday:

Sometimes Amtrak can be on time.
Double-yoked eggs continue to be excellent breakfast companions.

And, finally, good friends always make for good times.

Beeeej, you'll probably be able to "Meet Me in St. Louis." I'll buy you a Bud. Yuck.

Date: April 10, 2006 06:50PM

Scersk '97
Wearing a Cornell jersey can make you a celebrity.

Oh, yeah - I forgot to comment on this.

It was gratifying and heartwarming when Wisconsin fans approached me, unsolicited, and talked about what a fantastic game there'd been in Green Bay, and what a shame it was Cornell couldn't be here too, and how they hope to see us there next year, and "tough game," and blah, blah, blah...

...the first forty-seven times. After that, I just kind of wanted to put a sign beneath the "Cornell Hockey" on my sweatshirt that said, "Shut Up About Green Bay Already."

But to their credit, not a single Wisco fan needled me about the loss in any way whatsoever. I was genuinely impressed about that.

Beeeej

- Steve Worona

Posted by: MCH 94 (---.dialup.mindspring.com)
Date: April 11, 2006 02:16AM

Beeeej
It was a great pleasure as always to run into and catch up with other Cornell people, including Jeff Kahn, Lou "Swarthmore Motherpuckers" Heavenrich, John Whelan, Rich Hovorka, Susie Curtis, Jen Allard, David & Renee Toth, et al. If I'm forgetting anybody specific, it's not personal. Scersk, I guess I just managed to miss you this time.
Beeeej

After having been to 5 (?) Frozen Fours in-a-row, I will have to start running into other Cornell people starting next year. Haven't seen too many other Cornell people except for Buffalo (and 2005 regionals in MN).

Posted by: dwt92 (---.aurorahealthcare.org)
Date: April 11, 2006 09:32AM

[Q]"Chinese food" in Menomonee Falls, however, is not good - at least not by the standards to which I've become accustomed. But it sure is cheap. [/Q]

Sorry you didn't like the lunch selection. I agree that the crab rangoon was pretty poor. . .

Hotels in St Louis are starting to catch on that the tourney is there next year. When the nice, but confused, young lady from the Embassy Suites tried to explain why her hotel's rates jumped from $139 to $229 in a mere six hours yesterday, she said, "I think it has to do with this NCAA Frozen Cake thing they have, whatever that is . . ."

Date: April 11, 2006 09:43AM

dwt92
[Q]"Chinese food" in Menomonee Falls, however, is not good - at least not by the standards to which I've become accustomed. But it sure is cheap. [/Q]

Sorry you didn't like the lunch selection. I agree that the crab rangoon was pretty poor. . .

Oh, it wasn't that bad, I was just poking fun - and it's the company that matters most anyway. :-) Plus the IPA and the burger on Sunday at Milwaukee Ale House were respectively among the best I've ever had.

Beeeej

- Steve Worona

Date: April 11, 2006 10:31AM

jkahn
Beeeej

Beeeej

Now also sold out through explorestlouis.com.

Beeeej

- Steve Worona

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.raytheon.com)
Date: April 11, 2006 11:13AM

dwt92
When the nice, but confused, young lady from the Embassy Suites tried to explain why her hotel's rates jumped from $139 to $229 in a mere six hours yesterday, she said, "I think it has to do with this NCAA Frozen Cake thing they have, whatever that is . . ."

Are you serious?

I hope you corrected her :-P

Posted by: profudge (---.ct.us.ibm.com)
Date: April 11, 2006 03:44PM

Milwaukee great town to visit
- Zoo was fun in the sun
- IMAX in the Public Museum was great
- The hamburgers at Sobelman's Pub & Grill, 1900 W Saint Paul
Ave., were really yummy, top ten on my all time list
- Chinese at "Hop Sheng" Gourmet Chinese; 2430 N Murray Ave.,
was great service and wonderful food...
- plenty of good German and Italian food... lots of good beer.

Oh yeah and the hockey - great time!
Was good to chat with a few other Lynah folks -
Doubt I can afford St. Louis next year; but hopefully maybe Washington and or Boston in following years.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2006 03:48PM by profudge.

Posted by: judy (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 11, 2006 08:05PM

dwt92

Hotels in St Louis are starting to catch on that the tourney is there next year. When the nice, but confused, young lady from the Embassy Suites tried to explain why her hotel's rates jumped from $139 to $229 in a mere six hours yesterday, she said, "I think it has to do with this NCAA Frozen Cake thing they have, whatever that is . . ."

mmm...frozen cake...if they had a large frozen cake, i'd be there for that too.

Posted by: ebilmes (---.0.127.207.adsl.snet.net)
Date: April 11, 2006 08:07PM

judy
dwt92

mmm...frozen cake...if they had a large frozen cake, i'd be there for that too.

Maybe one that contestants could shoot across the ice for a chance to win more free frozen cakes...

Posted by: dwt92 (---.west.biz.rr.com)
Date: April 11, 2006 11:06PM

DeltaOne81
Are you serious?

I hope you corrected her :-P

You can't make stuff like that up. Not only did I correct her, I got 2 in the box for crosschecking.

Date: April 13, 2006 02:01PM

Wow... this just isn't a very good photo of any of us.

[www.melm.org]

Beeeej

- Steve Worona

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.loyno.edu)
Date: April 13, 2006 04:09PM

Are those the crazy drunk Wisconsin fans? Didn't someone take a picture of you, me and Mikey while I was over visiting?

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: April 14, 2006 10:48AM

Jessie hasn't sent us her photos yet.

Beeeej

- Steve Worona

Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: April 14, 2006 07:18PM

Milwaukee is a wonderful city to visit in summer. If you're inside a tavern, of which Milwaukee has no lack, it's okay in the shoulder months. But when the wind blows off the lake ...

'course, we should talk, being not that far above Cayuga.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login