Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

LeNeveu-Eliot comparison

Posted by Big Red 
LeNeveu-Eliot comparison
Posted by: Big Red (---.fidelity.com)
Date: April 10, 2006 09:43AM

David LeNeveu 02-03: 32GP, 28-3-1, 39 GA, 94 SV%, 1.20 GAA
Brian Elliot 05-06: 35GP, 27-5-3, 55 GA, 93.8 SV%, 1.55 GAA

How is it that these guys did not win the hobey?

Re: LeNeveu-Eliot comparison
Posted by: Beeeej (38.136.58.---)
Date: April 10, 2006 09:48AM

Big Red

I've always figured Dave didn't win it because:
1) Miller had just won it two years earlier, and the committee didn't want to honor goalies too often, and
2) Cornell's "system" is what supposedly makes our goalies' numbers great, not their actual talent or performance.

I figure Elliot didn't win it because if Dave's numbers weren't good enough, certainly his weren't. Plus, remember the numbers you're citing for him include the tournament where he had 270+ minutes of shutout hockey, and the voting supposedly takes place before the regionals.

But YMMV. If there were one person acting with one mind in making these choices, you might be able to come up with a "reason" - but just as with the weekly polls, as long as they're determined by many people voting for their own reasons, there's no way to come up with (and no point in trying to come up with) a universal rationale.

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Red Man (---.fidelity.com)
Date: April 10, 2006 09:57AM

The EZAC label did not help Lenny either

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: April 10, 2006 10:27AM

Lenny may have killed the Hobey for goaltenders forever. For various reasons, not all of them stupid, he didn't win. However, no successor candidate is going to have numbers extraordinarily better than his, especially since the game is opening up and we may be going back to the days of a sub-3.00 GAA being worthy of AA status.

I suggest they promote the Dryden Award to a Cy Young-like NCAA-wide award, and simply stop considering goaltenders for Hobey. It's apples and oranges anyway.

Posted by: jkahn (216.146.73.---)
Date: April 10, 2006 10:29AM

Big Red

and then there's this non-winner:
David McKee 04-05: 35GP, 27-5-3, 44 GA, 94.7 SV%, 1.24 GAA

Date: April 10, 2006 10:30AM

Trotsky
I suggest they promote the Dryden Award to a Cy Young-like NCAA-wide award, and simply stop considering goaltenders for Hobey. It's apples and oranges anyway.

Amen.

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.rbccm.com)
Date: April 10, 2006 01:26PM

Sejna had 82 points (including 36 goals) the year that Lenny got jobbed. He was a dominant WCHA player that year and CC had a tough schedule. I think if Lenny posted those numbers this year, he might have walked away with the award.

Last year, I don't think that anyone in their right mind was cheering against Marty Sertich. 64 points and <30 goals doesn't win the award many years, but he did lead the country in scoring (both total points and points per game). I wonder how close the voting was because we know that McKee had a great year. Marty is a tough kid and I have no problem with him winning.

This year, with three realistic potential Hobey winners from the WCHA (Carle, Potulny, Elliot), I wonder if there were a lot of vote splitting going on. Again, I bet it was close. Elliot had an injury and a brief slump. I think the right guy won - Carle's point total was very impressive for a d-man in the WCHA. I can't believe how much ice time he's getting right away for the Sharks, they're in a very tight race to make the playoffs. He's taken Dougie's job so he's the real deal in my book.

Posted by: WillCMJr (---.bing.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 10, 2006 01:53PM

Look at the number of saves that LeNeveu, McKee, and Elliot had, none of them were exactly shelled. I think if they saw the number of shots Dadswell did, there numbers would have been drastically lower.

Posted by: RichH (216.195.201.---)
Date: April 10, 2006 02:37PM

Having gone through this 10 years ago with another great goaltender with the same surname...

E-L-L-I-O-T-T

I think Brian has earned enough respect for me to make sure we get the correct spelling at least once in this thread.

Although, I am tickled that someone on Hockey-L gave a spot on their 2006 All-Tournament team to Jason Elliott. B-]

I'm all in favor of a national goaltender award. To draw a comparison with the Heisman, aren't there national awards for specific positions in college football?

To answer my own question: oh my, yes. [en.wikipedia.org]

Posted by: Jacob '06 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 10, 2006 02:47PM

You guys could all start up a foundation and start the Ken Dryden National Goaltender Trophy. I'm pretty sure the Hobey Baker is run by a foundation completely independent of the NCAA.

Posted by: RichH (216.195.201.---)
Date: April 10, 2006 02:51PM

Jacob '06
You guys could all start up a foundation and start the Ken Dryden National Goaltender Trophy. I'm pretty sure the Hobey Baker is run by a foundation completely independent of the NCAA.

The statue which could be used already exists:

[www.flickr.com]

Date: April 10, 2006 02:56PM

Jacob '06

Hey, I'm in.

Beeeej

- Steve Worona

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: April 10, 2006 02:59PM

WillCMJr
Look at the number of saves that LeNeveu, McKee, and Elliot had, none of them were exactly shelled. I think if they saw the number of shots Dadswell did, there numbers would have been drastically lower.

You can compare these numbers with the Sh60 (Shots per 60 Mins) stat: [www.tbrw.info]

Career numbers, through 2005

21.0 LeNeveu
23.1 McKee
26.2 Dryden
26.6 Underhill
27.5 Burt
29.0 D'Alessio
32.0 Elliott (ours)
34.3 Eliot
34.8 Dadswell
35.7 Hayward
44.6 Detwiler
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2006 02:59PM by Trotsky.

Posted by: WillCMJr (---.bing.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 10, 2006 03:33PM

What a neat website, thanks! Should be noted that '34.3 Eliot' was "ours" also! The original 'Eliot, Eliot, Eliot...'

Posted by: Swampy (---.219.128.131.dhcp.uri.edu)
Date: April 10, 2006 04:13PM

RichH
Jacob '06

The statue which could be used already exists:

[www.flickr.com]

The one thing this doesn't tell you is that it's a statue of Dryden in the middle of a game! It's a classic Dryden pose on those Cornell and Canadian teams that dominated the opposition!

Posted by: RichS (12.162.105.---)
Date: April 12, 2006 05:02PM

that's "Canadiens" team. or Les Habiatants.

Date: April 12, 2006 05:05PM

RichS
that's "Canadiens" team. or Les Habiatants.

"Les Habitants," réellement.

Beeeej

- Steve Worona

Posted by: Roy 82 (---.SRI.COM)
Date: April 13, 2006 12:16AM

Unfortunately, NCAA regulations require that all ice hockey awards be named after former Princeton players. uhoh

Posted by: Rich S (12.162.105.---)
Date: April 13, 2006 07:44PM

Certainment! My fingers did it again.

Posted by: adamw (209.71.42.---)
Date: April 15, 2006 09:04PM

Voting for the Hobey is done after the Regionals ... I selected Potulny and Carle over Elliott because those two were simply, clearly, observably dominant college hockey players. While, obviously, a goaltender who is merely great has a greater impact on a hockey game, theoretically, than one dominant skater ... within their position, Carle and Potulny were dominant players. Elliott, through design, perhaps, does not steal games - though, of course, there's something to be said for his steadiness.

I wrote about this here, if anyone cares:
[www.collegehockeynews.com]
[www.collegehockeynews.com]

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 16, 2006 01:53PM

adamw
Voting for the Hobey is done after the Regionals ... I selected Potulny and Carle over Elliott because those two were simply, clearly, observably dominant college hockey players. While, obviously, a goaltender who is merely great has a greater impact on a hockey game, theoretically, than one dominant skater ... within their position, Carle and Potulny were dominant players. Elliott, through design, perhaps, does not steal games - though, of course, there's something to be said for his steadiness.
All the more reason to have a separate goalie award. It's too hard to compare the skaters and the goalies.

Posted by: billhoward (---.union01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: April 16, 2006 02:42PM

Jim Hyla
adamw
All the more reason to have a separate goalie award. It's too hard to compare the skaters and the goalies.

In the pros, you have to make a choice where to spend your money, and you don't get a separate pot marked "goaltender." In college, sure, it's hard to determine if a great goalie is more valuable than a great forward, or defender for that matter ... but the beauty of awards such as the Hobey is it keeps fans arguing over the possibilities long after the rinks have been defrosted for the summer months.

Posted by: ninian '72 (---.ed.gov)
Date: April 19, 2006 11:55AM

Swampy
The one thing this doesn't tell you is that it's a statue of Dryden in the middle of a game! It's a classic Dryden pose on those Cornell and Canadian teams that dominated the opposition!

I love it! It's dead-on. Even leaning on the crossbar. I wondered how much of this was calculated theater on Dryden's part. Motionless and looking bored. Must have driven other teams crazy.

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.raytheon.com)
Date: April 19, 2006 01:06PM

ninian '72
Swampy

I love it! It's dead-on. Even leaning on the crossbar. I wondered how much of this was calculated theater on Dryden's part. Motionless and looking bored. Must have driven other teams crazy.

Never been to the HHOF, huh? :)

I'm pretty sure somewhere in The Game Dryden says that it was at least part, if not mostly, theater. I'll pick up my copy tonight and see if I can find it ;)

Posted by: Dpperk29 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 19, 2006 02:13PM

someone oughta teach that one to leggio...

I know it was low... but I couldn't resist...

sorry rich

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login