Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Bedpan
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

NCAA Skills Competition

Posted by TShen 
NCAA Skills Competition
Posted by: TShen (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: April 07, 2006 08:59PM

Damn it! I cancelled the sportspack too soon. ESPNU is showing the skills competition from 8 to 9:30 tonight.

Re: NCAA Skills Competition
Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 07, 2006 09:24PM

Going to OT ;)

Moulson had one of the key goals in the last round to end up tying it up
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2006 09:24PM by DeltaOne81.

Date: April 07, 2006 09:38PM

East wins it after plenty of OT shootout rounds :)

Posted by: Roy 82 (---.SRI.COM)
Date: April 07, 2006 09:40PM

Wins what? OT of what?

Was it an all-star game or rounds of various skills tests such as penalty shots, skating around cones etc.

Please explain.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (64.148.137.---)
Date: April 07, 2006 10:39PM

RichH, scersk and I ran into Moulson at a bar last night. We felt bad telling him we might not make the skills comp thanks to our other plans.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Date: April 07, 2006 11:44PM

Roy 82
Wins what? OT of what?

Was it an all-star game or rounds of various skills tests such as penalty shots, skating around cones etc.

Please explain.

Rounds of various skills:
Puck handling, fastest skaters, hardest shot, rapid shots (really a test of the goalies mostly), penalty shots

There were 8 guys and 8 girls on each team (6 skaters, 2 goalies of each gender for each team). Most of the above 5 rounds gave 3 points out, although they were never very clear on exactly for what. I mean, I can understand a guy winner, girl winner, but what's the third? I was confused.

One of the West goalies was from D-III (although apparently started at SCSU). He was actually the best goalie in the rapid shot contest, stopped 22 out of 24 shots.

Anyway, it was tied 5-5 after the first 4 rounds (okay, so I guess there werent 3 points awarded in any round, I think the first two just had a guy and girl champs, so 2+2+3+3+3 = 10).

For the shootout round, each goal was a point - each team had 12 shots (all the skaters). It went in 4 sets of 3. The girl from Mercyhurst (Sam Shirley) did an awesome 'between the legs, off her skate, smack it through the 5-hole' goal. After seeing that, the east guys tied to start doing silly things... including a Mike-Legg-copy-cat that never got off the ice.

So going into their last set of 3, the east was down 9-7. Moulson had a quick wrister for a goal. T.J. Trevelyan had a great moved but was denied... and I dunno who scored a goal for the east on their last shot to tie it at 9.

They decided, apparently improvising, to do a sudden death shootout (by round, of course, not pure first goal - but one round at a time). There was a good 5 or 6 scoreless rounds before the west scored. In one of those scoreless rounds, Moulson went and was poke checked. Apparently you can't do that in a skills competition, but they just told the goalies from then on and didn't give Matty another shot.

Anyway, with the 'game' on the line, the east evened it up to keep it going. In the next round, the west missed, and the east scored, to win it 11-10.

Not bad for a silly little skills competition. The players really cared and were cheering their team on. Not overly passionate obviously, but they definitely wanted to win. More than you can say for most skill comps, and it made it fun to watch.

Posted by: jy3 (---.buff.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 08, 2006 08:49AM

DeltaOne81
Roy 82
Wins what? OT of what?

Please explain.

Rounds of various skills:
Puck handling, fastest skaters, hardest shot, rapid shots (really a test of the goalies mostly), penalty shots

There were 8 guys and 8 girls on each team (6 skaters, 2 goalies of each gender for each team). Most of the above 5 rounds gave 3 points out, although they were never very clear on exactly for what. I mean, I can understand a guy winner, girl winner, but what's the third? I was confused.

One of the West goalies was from D-III (although apparently started at SCSU). He was actually the best goalie in the rapid shot contest, stopped 22 out of 24 shots.

Anyway, it was tied 5-5 after the first 4 rounds (okay, so I guess there werent 3 points awarded in any round, I think the first two just had a guy and girl champs, so 2+2+3+3+3 = 10).

For the shootout round, each goal was a point - each team had 12 shots (all the skaters). It went in 4 sets of 3. The girl from Mercyhurst (Sam Shirley) did an awesome 'between the legs, off her skate, smack it through the 5-hole' goal. After seeing that, the east guys tied to start doing silly things... including a Mike-Legg-copy-cat that never got off the ice.

So going into their last set of 3, the east was down 9-7. Moulson had a quick wrister for a goal. T.J. Trevelyan had a great moved but was denied... and I dunno who scored a goal for the east on their last shot to tie it at 9.

They decided, apparently improvising, to do a sudden death shootout (by round, of course, not pure first goal - but one round at a time). There was a good 5 or 6 scoreless rounds before the west scored. In one of those scoreless rounds, Moulson went and was poke checked. Apparently you can't do that in a skills competition, but they just told the goalies from then on and didn't give Matty another shot.

Anyway, with the 'game' on the line, the east evened it up to keep it going. In the next round, the west missed, and the east scored, to win it 11-10.

Not bad for a silly little skills competition. The players really cared and were cheering their team on. Not overly passionate obviously, but they definitely wanted to win. More than you can say for most skill comps, and it made it fun to watch.

i think the skills competition is a great idea. bring the men and women together, give the players a chance to get to know each other and have fun together and give the fans another great event to watch. too bad i forgot it was on tv :-/

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login