Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

BU-Cornell

Posted by Mark 
BU-Cornell
Posted by: Mark (---.nas.vdot.net)
Date: April 07, 2006 06:46PM

First of all, congrats on the Big Red's showing in Green Bay -- your shutout loss was certainly better than BU's. ;-)

From a good source I hear that the BU-Cornell series will likely resume in 2007-08. There are still details to be ironed out, but from what I understand, it would run for three straight years.

The second and third years would be split between Boston and Ithaca (not sure which order), but the kicker is, there's been some discussion of having the first of the three games between the Terriers and Big Red played at that arena on 33rd and 7th in Manhattan. twitch I'm not sure if that would be part of a college doubleheader or just a single game.

Again, this neutral site meeting isn't set in stone, but hopefully it will happen. But the BU-Cornell series will definitely be back. Thought you folks would be interested.

Cheers...

Re: BU-Cornell
Posted by: scannon (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: April 07, 2006 06:52PM

I'm pretty new to PWR and college hockey recuiting but if that's true it has to be good.

If we play BU do we say "screw BU; BU too", just "screw BU" or are both as dumb as each other and we just don't ust the chant.:-P

Posted by: Jim Hyla (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 07, 2006 06:55PM

Thanks, I hope you're correct. A doubleheader would be great, especially since my brother-in-law lives in Manhattan and maybe we could get Beeeej to dress in RED. :-)

Posted by: Anne 85 (---.wholesystems.com)
Date: April 07, 2006 07:19PM

My understanding is that it's just "screw BU," although I suspect you'd find a lot of support for "screw BH; Harvard too."

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 07, 2006 07:53PM

Anne 85
My understanding is that it's just "screw BU," although I suspect you'd find a lot of support for "screw BH; Harvard too."

Yes, its simply "screw BU", once and forceful :)

But "Harvard too" isn't a bad idea :)
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2006 07:54PM by DeltaOne81.

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: April 07, 2006 07:55PM

Thanks, Mark. This is really good news. Let's hope both teams are at the top of their games come the renewal.

The origin of "Screw BU" is in fact a BU cheer, where the band does (and, at the time, it seemed they did it every sixty seconds) "Dum dum dum,da-da-da-da, dum dum dum, da-da-da-da, dum dum dum, da-da-da-da, DUM-DUM-DUM" and the fans answer with GO BU. Annoyed to all hell by the repetitiousness of this, Cornell fans en masse felt compelled to drown out the "GO BU" with our own "SCREW BU." The rest, as they say, is history.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (64.148.137.---)
Date: April 07, 2006 10:37PM

It is just "Screw BU" and I would come back from Germany to see Cornell-BU at MSG.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Re: college hockey at MSG
Posted by: Rich S (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 07, 2006 11:28PM

Hopefully the game at MSG comes off as mentioned. I'd be there for sure! A doubleheader would be awesome and very much welcomed by the large number of college fans the NYC metro area.

Recall that a planned doubleheader a few years ago was moved to Hartford to make room for an additional Billy Joel performance. Attendance in Hartford was predictably sparse. As much a Joel fan as I have been for years, I was disappointed to see the cancellation.

Perhaps a successful night of college action at MSG could lead to a Frozen Four bid.

Posted by: Beeeej (---.west.biz.rr.com)
Date: April 08, 2006 03:08AM

Jim Hyla
Thanks, I hope you're correct. A doubleheader would be great, especially since my brother-in-law lives in Manhattan and maybe we could get Beeeej to dress in RED. :-)

For a Cornell-BU men's hockey game at Madison Square Garden? I'd wear pretty much anything you asked me to. What a freakin' awesome night that would be!!

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Robb (68.171.152.---)
Date: April 08, 2006 03:53AM

jtwcornell91
It is just "Screw BU" and I would come back from Germany to see Cornell-BU at MSG.
Heh. I was already contemplating coming back from England!

Posted by: jy3 (---.buff.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 08, 2006 08:46AM

Al DeFlorio
Thanks, Mark. This is really good news. Let's hope both teams are at the top of their games come the renewal.

The origin of "Screw BU" is in fact a BU cheer, where the band does (and, at the time, it seemed they did it every sixty seconds) "Dum dum dum,da-da-da-da, dum dum dum, da-da-da-da, dum dum dum, da-da-da-da, DUM-DUM-DUM" and the fans answer with GO BU. Annoyed to all hell by the repetitiousness of this, Cornell fans en masse felt compelled to drown out the "GO BU" with our own "SCREW BU." The rest, as they say, is history.
al, I had thought that part of the reason for the screw BU cheer was the defection to hockey east

Posted by: Al DeFlorio (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: April 08, 2006 10:05AM

jy3
al, I had thought that part of the reason for the screw BU cheer was the defection to hockey east
Started well before Hockey East. Another motivator was the shift from Cornell to BU as the East's top team after 1970. [See 1972, 1974-1977 ECACs; 1971, 1972, 1978 NCAAs].:-(

Date: April 08, 2006 10:48AM

Al DeFlorio
jy3
Started well before Hockey East. Another motivator was the shift from Cornell to BU as the East's top team after 1970. [See 1972, 1974-1977 ECACs; 1971, 1972, 1978 NCAAs].:-(

BU becoming the dominant team in the East is a motivator to yell "Screw" at them? screwy

Posted by: marty (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: April 08, 2006 11:22AM

I was a regular in Lynah from the fall of '70 to the spring of '74. Al is of course correct. We weren't part of the genesis of the cheer but certainly perpetuated it.

Rich, I guess you have never been jealous of another school's accomplishments!?!rolleyes

Date: April 08, 2006 11:34AM

I have admired and been respectful of others' accomplishments. But never jealous...that's a destructive emotion.

Posted by: Josh '99 (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 08, 2006 11:59AM

Robb
jtwcornell91
Heh. I was already contemplating coming back from England!
I would definitely travel there from however many subway stops away I'll be living at the time.

I guess it's not the same, really. screwy

Posted by: Desuetude Red (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 08, 2006 12:22PM

As I recall this cheer started at the 1972 NCAA tournament at the Boston Garden, and the credit goes to Wisconsin fans. That year BU defeated Wisconsin 4-1 in the semis and went on, tragically, to beat the Red 4-0. It was during the semis that Wisconsin fans started the "Screw BU" cheer.

The next year at Lynah BU crushed us 9-0 and I believe the only noise that night was the screw BU cheer. Note that BU later had to forfeit that game and a rash of others because they had recruited and played a ineligible player, something about playing Junior A hockey. It was Cornell who reported (or ratted out) BU. Obviously there was and remains much bad blood between these two teams.

I hope I got me years correct on on this. As I get older the cheese somtimes slips off the cracker.

Posted by: ursusminor (---.res.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 08, 2006 12:44PM

More than you probably care to know about the Dick Decloe Affair which led to BU forfeiting 11 games. [lists.maine.edu]

Thanks to the Hockey-L archives from saving me the trouble of typing this all in every time it comes up somewhere.

Posted by: redice (---.sub-70-221-212.myvzw.com)
Date: April 08, 2006 12:52PM

I'm pretty sure that the "screw BU" cheer started before that NCAA tourney in Boston. It first happened, as Al described it, during one of the four straight ECAC titles (66-70). I was there and remember the fun shouting over the BU fans.
And that God-awful 9-0 loss to BU in Dec 72......That's the first time I saw them lose; after watching them for 6 years!! What a run!! Not a good day. When recalling the forfeit, the name Peter Titanic comes to mind. As I recall it, CU ratted on BU and BU ratted on CU. I don't remember who was the inital "rattee" and I don't remember if Peter was the inelible BU player or if he was the ineligible CU player in that mess. Does anyone have clearer memories of this?

Date: April 08, 2006 01:09PM

Thanks Ralph, I remember well the uproar this created. I was at Tech then and the entire ECAC was talking about it.

Posted by: jkahn (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: April 08, 2006 01:16PM

I agree with Al's synopsis (although he may have missed a beat or added one in the da da dum dum part). My most vivid recollection of the cheer is the '72 ECAC's and NCAA's. Thousands of dismayed Cornell fans shouting Screw BU to drown out the GO BU as BU's band played the thing over and over. After hearing this several times, a large contingent of Wisconsin fans, being fairly clever, decided to turn it around further, adding "Cornell too" to our "Screw BU" at the NCAA's.

Posted by: Killer (---.c3-0.nat-ubr6.sbo-nat.ma.cable.rcn.com)
Date: April 08, 2006 01:30PM

I was at the ECAC and NCAA games in 1972 and my recollection is that "Screw BU" started somewhere into the ECAC final game, though I don't remember it being picked up by everyone. The next week, when we played BU in the NCAA final, virtually all of the Cornell fans chimed in, and for the early part of the game, I'd say we were louder than the BU fans. BTW, we didn't care much for BU's "pep band" at those games. A lot of them looked older than most student and they had electric guitars, a full drum set, etc., and had a special area set up for them rinkside.

As for the players involved in the forfeit, yes, it was definitley Titanic for us. Can't remember who the BU player was. I seem to recall that Titanic was declared ineligible partway into our freshman year. I think he got to play a few games. As the story I heard goes, sophomore year, he saw that one of his former teammates was playing for BU. Figuring if that guy was eligible to play, he should be too, Cornell inquired about Titanic's reinstatement. But the decision handed down was that Titanic was still ineligible, and the real mistake that had been made was in not declaring the BU player also ineligible in the first place. I don't think there was any ratting going on, we were just trying to get our guy back on the ice. But the upshot was that neither was allowed to play, and BU had to forfeit a number of games.

BTW, Screw BU!

Posted by: ursusminor (---.res.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 08, 2006 01:31PM

redice
I'm pretty sure that the "screw BU" cheer started before that NCAA tourney in Boston. It first happened, as Al described it, during one of the four straight ECAC titles (66-70). I was there and remember the fun shouting over the BU fans.
And that God-awful 9-0 loss to BU in Dec 72......That's the first time I saw them lose; after watching them for 6 years!! What a run!! Not a good day. When recalling the forfeit, the name Peter Titanic comes to mind. As I recall it, CU ratted on BU and BU ratted on CU. I don't remember who was the inital "rattee" and I don't remember if Peter was the inelible BU player or if he was the ineligible CU player in that mess. Does anyone have clearer memories of this?
See the link in the message that I posted a few minutes before your post. It quotes articles from The Intercollegiate Hockey Newsletter from that year.

Posted by: jkahn (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: April 08, 2006 01:41PM

And in an earlier, similar ratting incident, in '66-'67 or '67-'68 we lost Bob McGuinn for a semester due to some technicality which was turned in by Gene Kinasewich, assistant coach at Harvard, whose brother Bob played for the Big Red.

Posted by: desuetude (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 08, 2006 03:28PM

Thanks for the link. It brings back old memories. I believe to our credit Cornell never accepted the forfeit from BU, and officially lists the game still as a 9-0 loss.

We should all regret that Peter Titanic never played for Cornell. I think his qualifies as the best Cornell hockey name ever, even better than Lance Nethery, who would have been his teammate.

Date: April 08, 2006 05:32PM

Rich S
I have admired and been respectful of others' accomplishments. But never jealous...that's a destructive emotion.

Must have been someone else....

Posted by: Jeff Hopkins '82 (---.dhcp.oxfr.ma.charter.com)
Date: April 08, 2006 05:48PM

jkahn
After hearing this several times, a large contingent of Wisconsin fans, being fairly clever, decided to turn it around further, adding "Cornell too" to our "Screw BU" at the NCAA's.

And I thought we (Roy 82, I, and others) were being original when we did it in 1980. I guess there's nothing original under the sun. :-P

Posted by: Facetimer (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: April 08, 2006 06:06PM

jy3

Screw Vermont, BU too!

Date: April 08, 2006 07:47PM

desuetude
Thanks for the link. It brings back old memories. I believe to our credit Cornell never accepted the forfeit from BU, and officially lists the game still as a 9-0 loss.

We should all regret that Peter Titanic never played for Cornell. I think his qualifies as the best Cornell hockey name ever, even better than Lance Nethery, who would have been his teammate.

We always liked Dave Peace...unfortunate that he didn't play at Clarkson with Steve Warr. :-}

Re: BU-Cornell - cheer origin, NCAA eligibiliity
Posted by: billhoward (---.marcocable.com)
Date: April 09, 2006 05:47AM

Al's right: The BU band was a one-trick musical pony. It annoyed Cornell fans of the early 1970s who, also annoyed at BU's rise to supremacy under its youthful coach Jack Parkier, fgured out that "Screw BU" could drown out "Go BU" when there were more Cornell fans in the building than BU fans, which would be at most games whether in Ithaca, Boston, or at Boston Garden.

And most impartial histories of college hockey say that the NCAA, which was even stuffier in some respects then than now (can that be possible?), declared ineligibile Cornell's Pete Titanic (for playing a bit of Jr A hockey and getting educational expenses paid), who turned around and asked howcum a BU player (Dick DeClore?) in a similar situation was eligible. Rather than letting Titanic play, the NCAA tossed out the BU player, too. Cornell also got dinged for having a couple prospects' trip to the NCAA tourney circa 1973 paid for by a Cornell alum and was on minor propbation (but not tourney ineligible).

This was against the backdrop of other Cornell recruiting violations in, of all things, basketball, for what seems like the quaint practice of Cornell coaches/assistant coaches Tony Coma and Tom Allen paying application fees under the table in order to get a few more people to apply. (That would have been a Cornell and Ivy League no-no, not NCAA rule, I believe). And also against the backdrop of Cornell lacrosse going from national powerhouse and NCAA champion in lacrosse (1971) to several down years prior to the arrival of Eamon McEneneaney and Mike French and the glory run of 1976-77. Ed Marinaro was gone from the football field so it was a pretty quiet couple years in sports.

Also note that in Jackie Parker's tenure at BU, the Terriers have played in one BU Arena and gotten two new ones built, while Cornell added a connector to the basketball arena so there's a warmer place to take a leak, and now is adding 400 seats. So there's a reason for the cheer.

Posted by: jtw's scarf (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: April 10, 2006 11:38PM

I hope Coach is smart enough to remove his good players from the game if he's blowing BU out with 5 minutes left. You never know when Angry Jack Parker goes Sensei Kreese on an opponent.

No Mercy!

Date: April 12, 2006 10:30AM

jtw's scarf
I hope Coach is smart enough to remove his good players from the game if he's blowing BU out with 5 minutes left. You never know when Angry Jack Parker goes Sensei Kreese on an opponent.

No Mercy!

So some ill-advised hits by a few frustrated BU players late in the Regional Final loss to BC were under the direction of Parker? OK.

I guess that also means you didn't have a problem with the two-hander behind the play that a BC forward gave to David Van der Gulik in the Hockey East Championship Game, a slash that broke Van der Gulik's hand (he was already playing with a sports hernia and a torn ligament in his knee). Of course, that received no publicity in the press and one of Jerry's angels would never dare do that, would they?

Here's hoping one of those BU ruffians comes into the stands and steals your scarf! :-P

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.raytheon.com)
Date: April 12, 2006 10:39AM

Mark
So some ill-advised hits by a few frustrated BU players late in the Regional Final loss to BC were under the direction of Parker? OK.

Here's hoping one of those BU ruffians comes into the stands and steals your scarf! :-P

I wouldn't take this anonymous poster (with as entertaining of a name as it may be) all that seriously. Certainly doesn't speak for the rest of us.

When the scarf starts crawling out and posting on eLynah, I think its time for a washing...

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.loyno.edu)
Date: April 12, 2006 10:52AM

DeltaOne81
Mark

I wouldn't take this anonymous poster (with as entertaining of a name as it may be) all that seriously. Certainly doesn't speak for the rest of us.

When the scarf starts crawling out and posting on eLynah, I think its time for a washing...

Alright, alright, I'll get out the Woollite. I didn't realize my scarf now has its own scarf. uhoh

Posted by: ebilmes (---.0.127.207.adsl.snet.net)
Date: April 12, 2006 03:37PM

jtwcornell91
Alright, alright, I'll get out the Woollite. I didn't realize my scarf now has its own scarf. uhoh

I'm sure it'll soon be posting as jtw's scarf's scarf.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 13, 2006 08:18AM

Mark
jtw's scarf

No Mercy!

I guess that also means you didn't have a problem with the two-hander behind the play that a BC forward gave to David Van der Gulik in the Hockey East Championship Game, a slash that broke Van der Gulik's hand (he was already playing with a sports hernia and a torn ligament in his knee). Of course, that received no publicity in the press and one of Jerry's angels would never dare do that, would they?

Mark ... S?

Posted by: DeltaOne81 (---.raytheon.com)
Date: April 13, 2006 09:37AM

jtw's scarf

Anyone else realize that this is the same domain Facetimer posts from?

Good show, ol' chap... good show.

Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.loyno.edu)
Date: April 13, 2006 11:50AM

ugarte
Mark
jtw's scarf

No Mercy!

Mark ... S?

Lest this miscommunication get too far out of hand, let me clarify a couple of things:

[*] Mark is a respected extramural poster on the level of ursaminor or Drew, and not a knee-jerk agitator. Note that when provoked by jtw's scarf, he struck back at BC, not Cornell
[*] jtw's scarf is not affiliated with jtwcornell91. I happen to have a lot of respect (grudgingly acquired) for both Jack Parker and the BU program. (I have to say, I have no beef with Jerry York, either. I hate BC mostly because so many of their fans are dicks.)

Posted by: ebilmes (---.0.127.207.adsl.snet.net)
Date: April 13, 2006 03:29PM

DeltaOne81
jtw's scarf

Anyone else realize that this is the same domain Facetimer posts from?

Good show, ol' chap... good show.

And Al DeFlorio. And Rich H.

Posted by: Kyle Rose (---.krose.org)
Date: April 13, 2006 03:38PM

ebilmes
Now that you mention it, I don't think I've ever seen Al and Rich in the same place at the same time. Hmmm.... ;-)

Kyle

Date: April 13, 2006 06:09PM

krose
ebilmes
Now that you mention it, I don't think I've ever seen Al and Rich in the same place at the same time. Hmmm.... ;-)

Kyle

Then again I don't think I've seen Al or Rich working the xerox machine or grabbing coffee for the bosses at the firm, either.

coffee

Posted by: Mark (---.z064002065.nyc-ny.dsl.cnc.net)
Date: May 17, 2006 10:37AM

Cornellians:

The latest I hear is that they're working on having the game at MSG in December of 2007. It may or may not precede or follow a Blueshirts game. Let's hope it comes to pass.

December in NYC? I say play it at the Rockefeller Center rink and hang a temporary scoreboard on the Christmas Tree. ;-)

Posted by: Lowell '99 (---.med.cornell.edu)
Date: May 17, 2006 11:59AM

If only the Rockefeller rink weren't about 12 feet long...

I say have it in Central Park at Wollman rink. That'll give people something to complain about with regards to rink size (er, shape).

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: May 17, 2006 12:15PM

Lowell '99
That would be perfect! We could get some really good clutching and grabbing going there...

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: May 17, 2006 12:22PM

Just play in on the reservoir. Pond hockey!

Date: May 17, 2006 12:38PM

C'Mon, with these cozy dimensions we'd be talking at least 5 overtimes. :-)

[www.thismorning.org]

Posted by: Beeeej (38.136.58.---)
Date: May 17, 2006 02:06PM

Lowell '99

They expanded the rink??

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: May 19, 2006 01:19AM

Are you waiting for the resevoir to freeze over?

MSG sounds great. If it's played before a Ranger game, I expect that season ticket holders should get freebies. :-D

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: May 19, 2006 08:18AM

Rich S
Are you waiting for the resevoir to freeze over?

MSG sounds great. If it's played before a Ranger game, I expect that season ticket holders should get freebies. :-D

Maybe if you go to the Cornell-BU game, you'd get in free to the Rangers game. Keep the priorities straight.

Date: May 19, 2006 03:49PM

I already have season tix to the Rangers.

My priorities are very straight, thanks. :-}

Posted by: billhoward (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: May 19, 2006 04:24PM

Got Rangers season tix? Cool. I've been traveling: How'd the Rangers do in the playoffs? That Jagr was an amazing scoring machine all season long.

Wait, didn't we cover this ground already at the college level?

Posted by: Tub(a) (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: May 19, 2006 04:46PM

billhoward
How'd the Rangers do in the playoffs?

They earned as many playoff wins this year as they did from 97/98-03/04 combined :-D

Date: May 20, 2006 12:01AM

Tub(a)
billhoward

They earned as many playoff wins this year as they did from 97/98-03/04 combined :-D
You will earn your right to trash talk if/when any team from Buffalo ever wins anything ever. Until then, keep your yap shut. :-P

Posted by: French Rage (---.washdc.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: May 20, 2006 01:04AM

jmh30
Tub(a)
billhoward

You will earn your right to trash talk if/when any team from Buffalo ever wins anything ever. Until then, keep your yap shut. :-P

How did I know that would draw a response from you?B-]

03/26/05: UNH 3, Harvard 2
03/25/06: Maine 6, Harvard 1

Posted by: Trotsky (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: May 20, 2006 10:05AM

jmh30

Let the man speak. The Buffalo Bills won the AFL title in 1964 and 1965.

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: May 20, 2006 10:11AM

Trotsky
jmh30

Titles before you were born don't count.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 20, 2006 10:52AM

KeithK
Trotsky
jmh30

You have just sentenced the majority of this board to silence about the one thing they really come here for.

Posted by: KeithK (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: May 20, 2006 01:13PM

ugarte
KeithK
Trotsky
jmh30

You have just sentenced the majority of this board to silence about the one thing they really come here for.
If they're coming here to trash talk the I do want 'em silenced. (Born in '72, BTW)>

Date: May 20, 2006 06:23PM

KeithK
Trotsky
jmh30

Minor league titles don't count. :-D

Posted by: Tub(a) (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: May 21, 2006 10:59AM

Trash talk? I was merely quenching Bill's thirst for knowledge :-P

Date: May 21, 2006 06:50PM

Time for you to travel again. Who's your NHL team anyway?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login