Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Jell-O Mold
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

College vs. NHL

Posted by Facetimer 
College vs. NHL
Posted by: Facetimer (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: April 06, 2006 11:51PM

Tonight I went to a Bruins game, against the Toronto Maple Leafs. I got thrown out with 2 minutes to go, and missed the Maple Leaf's tying goal and the Bruins win in the shootout (i saw the shootout at the Fours, a bar nearbyt).

Now, most of you think of me as a jackass, and usually I am. But the reason I got thrown out tonight was becuase I had seats 5 rows behind the Bruins goal, and I got throw out for mocking the goal judge. If this was a college game, giving the goal judge shit is par for the course, but mocking him in a meaningless NHL game apparently was not appropriate.

I thought Earl the narc (sections A & B) was tough, but seriously, the NHL needs to loosen up. This is precisely why I am and will remain a Cornell, and college hockey fan.

Re: College vs. NHL
Posted by: Will (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 07, 2006 12:54AM

I don't know about appropriate vs. inappropriate, but I didn't know mocking the goal judge was "par for the course".

Posted by: A-19 (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: April 07, 2006 09:42AM

in rpi the goal judge hides in a little hut and needs to be locked in his wheeled box by rpi fans who feel the need to sit in the visitor's section. he was mocked.

Posted by: calgARI '07 (205.232.74.---)
Date: April 07, 2006 02:43PM

Goal judge in Green Bay put the red light on maybe three or four times thinking/hoping that Wisconsin had scored. He was also high-fiving Wisconsin fans after they would score in the Bemidji State game. Fact of the matter is that goal judges are just symbolic and no longer serve any purpose.

Posted by: CM cWo 44 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 07, 2006 05:11PM

Let us not forget the Colgate goal judge, who lit the lamp on a shot that was 2 feet wide. Not to mention that he was approximately 13 years old. Throw in that PA announcer and they got quite a circus over at Starr.

Posted by: Rich S (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 08, 2006 01:14AM

serve no purpose? How can you honestly say that?

Posted by: calgARI '07 (205.232.74.---)
Date: April 08, 2006 03:24AM

Rich S

Because if a goal is obviously scored and the goal light does not go on, everyone sitll thinks it is a goal. Additionally, if a goal is obviously not scored and the light goes on, nobody actually thinks it went in. Particularly in the pros where there is replay, goal judges serve absolutley no purpose but even where there is no review, they still have virtually no purpose.

Posted by: redice (---.sub-70-221-212.myvzw.com)
Date: April 08, 2006 10:42AM

Frankly, I'm rarely aware of the red light being on, or not being on. When there's a chance of a goal having been scored, I'm looking for the referee's call on it.

Posted by: RatushnyFan (---.rbccm.com)
Date: April 08, 2006 03:06PM

This is precisely why my life ambition is to be the guy that opens the penalty box door, not the goal judge.

Posted by: ugarte (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 09, 2006 12:31AM

calgARI '07
Rich S

Because if a goal is obviously scored and the goal light does not go on, everyone sitll thinks it is a goal. Additionally, if a goal is obviously not scored and the light goes on, nobody actually thinks it went in. Particularly in the pros where there is replay, goal judges serve absolutley no purpose but even where there is no review, they still have virtually no purpose.
Does it have any official meaning? If the goal light goes on and the goalie reacts by hanging his head, can someone poke in the rebound or is play dead?

Posted by: David Harding (---.dsl.emhril.ameritech.net)
Date: April 09, 2006 04:41PM

From the NCAA rule book[q]Appointment of Officials
SECTION 1. All games shall be officiated by a three-person officiating system. The on-ice officials should be the referees, assistant referees and linesman; the off-ice officials should be a game timekeeper, official scorer, two goal judges and, for tournament competition, an instant-replay official. All officials should be supplied by the proper governing authority. It is recommended that goal judges be officials. The officials shall conduct the game in accordance with the official rules and interpretations, and employ the mechanics of officiating contained in this rules book. [/q][q]Goal Judge
SECTION 6. The goal judge should signal the referee when the puck enters the goal cage. The referee may ask the goal judge how the puck entered the goal cage. The referee(s) shall make the final decision as to whether or not the goal will be allowed.
The goal judge shall judge at the same goal cage throughout the game. Goal judges should be isolated from the spectators.
[/q]An "interpretation", also from the rule book[q]A.R. 6: Team A player A1 hoots the puck from just inside the attacking blue line through a maze of players in front of the Team B goal. The goal judge turns the goal light on signaling a goal, but play continues as the fficials don?t signal a goal. At the next stoppage of play, the officials confer with the goal judge and award a goal to Team A. The officials do not put time back on the clock. RULING: The officials are correct in consulting with the goal judge and, if the puck entered the goal cage, awarding the goal to Team A. The officials were not correct, however, in not putting time back on the clock. Given the fact that the goal was awarded, the officials should, to the best of their ability, determine when the goal was scored and put the time that elapsed after that point back on the clock.
[/q]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login