Updates automatically
Twitter Link
CHN iOS App

NCAA
1967 1970

ECAC
1967 1968 1969 1970 1973 1980 1986 1996 1997 2003 2005 2010

IVY
1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972 1973 1977 1978 1983 1984 1985 1996 1997 2002 2003 2004 2005 2012 2014

Cleary Spittoon
2002 2003 2005

Ned Harkness Cup
2003 2005 2008 2013

Brendon
Iles
Pokulok
Schafer
Syphilis

Captains / Assistants For Next year??

Posted by cornell09 
Captains / Assistants For Next year??
Posted by: cornell09 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 30, 2006 01:02AM

Hopefully it isn't too early to ask about who will wear the "C" and "A"'s next year.

My guess:

(C) - Bitz

(A) - O'Byrne, Scott, McCutcheon

If O'Byrne leaves - replace him with Glover/Carefoot
If Bitz leaves - replace him with McCutcheon and McCutcheon with Glover/Carefoot

Re: Captains / Assistants For Next year??
Posted by: ftyuv (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 30, 2006 02:31AM

I agree with those picks (I could see switching Bitz and McC, but I don't really know enough to argue the point), and I'll also add that I think next year's leadership is going to be really good. We have a number of high-energy, inspirational people, especially on the offense. Hopefully it'll lead to a few more creative plays (especially on the PP) and better finishings. Putting Scott on as a third A seems like a perfect choice -- he'll be great next year, and amazing the year after with the C.

Incidentally, I heard Clarkson is thinking of making their clipboard the team captain, so that next time the coach throws it out on the ice it won't be a minor. Ba-zing.
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2006 02:35AM by ftyuv.

Posted by: Beeeej (38.136.58.---)
Date: March 30, 2006 09:22AM

ftyuv
Incidentally, I heard Clarkson is thinking of making their clipboard the team captain, so that next time the coach throws it out on the ice it won't be a minor. Ba-zing.

Yes, the Clarkson clipboard is a great leader, but I think it's a bit premature to say with certainty that it'll be made captain.

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Posted by: Trotsky (---.raytheon.com)
Date: March 30, 2006 09:35AM

ftyuv

By the same theory, will SLU be making a bottle of scotch their color commentator? laugh

Posted by: ugarte (---.z065105093.nyc-ny.dsl.cnc.net)
Date: March 30, 2006 09:49AM

Trotsky
By the same theory, will SLU be making a bottle of scotch their color commentator? laugh
Dude, don't laugh at your own jokes. It distracts the audience.

ftyuv - The clipboard is only going to be a junior.

Posted by: Omie (---.tvlres.jcu.edu.au)
Date: March 30, 2006 09:55AM

I think it ought to be...

C- O'Byrne

A- Bitz, McCutcheon, Scott

Posted by: Beeeej (38.136.58.---)
Date: March 30, 2006 09:59AM

I would not mind seeing, and would not be surprised to see, Scott get the C as a junior.

Beeeej

"Cornell isn't an organization. It's a loose affiliation of independent fiefdoms united by a common hockey team."
- Steve Worona

Date: March 30, 2006 09:59AM

ugarte
Dude, don't laugh at your own jokes. It distracts the audience.

I heard the word dude and I became unglued.
Slowly I turned, step by step, inch by inch
And put my hands around his neck, and I squeezed...

Anyway, who was joking?

Posted by: Lowell '99 (---.c3-0.avec-ubr13.nyr-avec.ny.cable.rcn.com)
Date: March 30, 2006 10:38AM

It's been more or less the norm over the past few years, but I think one captain plus three assistants is a bit much. How about one of each? Two Cs (as was the case in '03)? Just El Capitan (hasn't been done since '96)?

Posted by: Townie (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 30, 2006 11:13AM

Beeeej
I would not mind seeing, and would not be surprised to see, Scott get the C as a junior.

Beeeej

I agree. He has real leadership qualities, and I think his work ethic and heart are highly respected by his peers.

Posted by: Scersk '97 (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: March 30, 2006 11:49AM

LowellFrank
It's been more or less the norm over the past few years, but I think one captain plus three assistants is a bit much. How about one of each? Two Cs (as was the case in '03)? Just El Capitan (hasn't been done since '96)?
Beeeeeeeeej
And to cover both angles, is it any surprise that two of our most successful years, '96 and '03, saw El Capitan and a co-captain that had been a singular captain his junior year?

I have no reading on the internal team dynamics, but you rarely see quotes from O'Byrne, Bitz, or McCutcheon in the press. You need a captain that is comfortable with the public aspects of the job. Hmmm... don't we hear quite a bit from Topher Scott?

This kid was a captain at the junior level and, to my mind, has had a provisional C ghosting his chest ever since he stepped on the ice his freshman year. I think he's the identity of next year's team--tough, indefatigable, and scrapping for every single goal they can possibly get.

I predict:

C -- Scott
A -- McCutcheon

(Bitz, to me, seems more the strong, silent type. If he were a more dominant personality, he probably would've been captain this year like Bâby was *his* junior year. Hence, I don't think he'll be the second assistant. Same for O'Byrne. Or if we go the tri-assistant route of the last few seasons, both will wear an A.)
Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2006 11:54AM by Scersk '97.

Posted by: Rita (---.agry.purdue.edu)
Date: March 30, 2006 11:58AM

Townie
Beeeej

Beeeej

I agree. He has real leadership qualities, and I think his work ethic and heart are highly respected by his peers.

Topher Scott reminds a lot of Kyle Knopp, a bit on the small side, but more than makes up for it in heart, grit and determination.

Kyle Knopp was captain his senior year (1998-1999), but was he also a captain (C or A) his junior year? I tried looking on TBRW, but I didn't see anything listed, and the Cornell archive pages only go back to 2000.

I think making Topher a captain next season would be an excellent choice.

Date: March 30, 2006 12:16PM

In 1997-98, Knopp, at the time a junior, was co-captain with Jason Dailey, a senior.

Posted by: Rita (---.agry.purdue.edu)
Date: March 30, 2006 12:46PM

Scersk '97
In 1997-98, Knopp, at the time a junior, was co-captain with Jason Dailey, a senior.

Thanks! I thought Kyle was also a captain his Junior year, thus making Topher a captain as a junior would not be unprecedented.

Date: March 30, 2006 12:52PM

Rita
Scersk '97

Thanks! I thought Kyle was also a captain his Junior year, thus making Topher a captain as a junior would not be unprecedented.

Well... Bâby was a "singular" captain his junior year.

Date: March 30, 2006 02:18PM

Scersk '97
I have no reading on the internal team dynamics, but you rarely see quotes from O'Byrne, Bitz, or McCutcheon in the press. You need a captain that is comfortable with the public aspects of the job.

Why?

If we had a captain who was a great leader on the ice and the lockerroom and ignored every reporter's question or referred it to a subordinate, that'd be fine by me.

The press is cute and all and if there's time it can be fed, but the captain isn't Julie your cruise director. His job is to be the heart of the team, and to help the coaching staff as an inside man. Fans, media, boosters... all that stuff is an afterthought.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: March 30, 2006 02:24PM

Trotsky
Scersk '97
I have no reading on the internal team dynamics, but you rarely see quotes from O'Byrne, Bitz, or McCutcheon in the press. You need a captain that is comfortable with the public aspects of the job.

Why?

If we had a captain who was a great leader on the ice and the lockerroom and ignored every reporter's question or referred it to a subordinate, that'd be fine by me.

The press is cute and all and if there's time it can be fed, but the captain isn't Julie your cruise director. His job is to be the heart of the team, and to help the coaching staff as an inside man. Fans, media, boosters... all that stuff is an afterthought.
I agree with Greg. I don't think prees/fan interaction is a very important criterion for captain of a college hockey team. I don't think anyone's ever said "our team sure fell apart after Harvard scored that 4th goal, but it's OK because our captain handled himself wonderfully in the post game press conference."

Considering the demeanor of our coach and his interactions with the media I'd be very surprised if the PR aspect played much of a factor.

Posted by: Mike Nevin (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 30, 2006 08:13PM

If it wasn't dangerous, I think it would be awesome if the faithful could rain clipboards onto the ice for the next (and all future) Clarkson game at Lynah.

Posted by: KeithK (---.external.lmco.com)
Date: March 30, 2006 08:20PM

Mike Nevin
If it wasn't dangerous, I think it would be awesome if the faithful could rain clipboards onto the ice for the next (and all future) Clarkson game at Lynah.
Don't give stupid people any stupid ideas! :-D

Posted by: montague (---.resnet.cornell.edu)
Date: March 30, 2006 10:03PM

Speaking of Scott getting the C, BU's Brad Zancanaro (this past season's captain) is a player of a similar mold. He's listed as 5-5 and plays tenaciously despite his size, like Topher.

We shouldn't make presumptions about the locker room atmosphere. When it comes down to it, we really don't know who speaks up and who listens at critical moments. Don't discount the leadership abilities of the current juniors only because they don't visibly display the same (exceptional) grit and drive as Scott does.

Posted by: David Harding (---.dsl.emhril.ameritech.net)
Date: March 30, 2006 10:13PM

FWIW, not related to the captain(s)'s role in motivating the team, communicating with the world, and so forth...

Captain of Team
SECTION 2. a. One game captain shall be appointed by each team, and shall be the only player to have the privilege of discussing with the referee any questions relating to interpretation of rules that may arise during the progress of a game. The captain may not dispute a judgment decision of the referee. The captain should wear the letter ?C,?? approximately 3 inches in height and in contrasting color, in a conspicuous position on the front of the jersey. If the captain is not available because of injury or an imposed penalty, another player may be designated to act as captain. A complaint about a penalty is not considered a matter ?relating to the interpretation of the rules,?? and the captain nor any other player may make such a complaint.

RULE 2
Teams
SECTION 2. Captain of Team
A.R. 1: During the pregame warm-up, the officials notice three players wearing a ?C? on their uniforms. RULING: The referee should determine from the team?s roster if one captain has been designated. If not, the referee must request the coach to designate one of the three players as the team captain. He also must inform the coach that the other two players will not have captain?s privileges; however, one player may be designated to act as captain if the captain is not available due to injury or imposed penalty.
A.R. 2: May a team appoint more than one alternate captain to ensure that a captain is on the ice at all times? RULING: No. Only the player designated as captain before the start of the game may hold the privileges of the captain. Should the player designated as captain be injured, penalized or removed from the game, another player may be designated to act as captain. The designated player does not have the privileges of the captain as long as the captain is in the game.

Posted by: cth95 (---.a-315.westelcom.com)
Date: March 31, 2006 12:52AM

That would be awesome! Maybe someone could make cut out images of clipboards on poster board so that they would be heavy enough to reach the ice, but not heavy enough to hurt anyone. I know this isn't the best solution, but there must be someway to convey the thought. A new tradition a la fish for Sucks?

Posted by: Will (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: March 31, 2006 07:15AM

cth95
That would be awesome! Maybe someone could make cut out images of clipboards on poster board so that they would be heavy enough to reach the ice, but not heavy enough to hurt anyone. I know this isn't the best solution, but there must be someway to convey the thought. A new tradition a la fish for Sucks?
It was funny, but it wasn't THAT funny.

Throwing things
Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.no.no.cox.net)
Date: March 31, 2006 08:38AM

No, no, no. We do not need to invent new traditions that involve throwing stuff on the ice. The fish thing for Hahvahd is special and it cheapens it to copy it by throwing toothpaste for Colgate, dog toys for Yale, or whatever other nonsense people come up with. We can be clever without throwing more stuff on the ice. For example, I think the idea of a "Throw your clipboard" chant directed at Roll is hilarious.

Enjoy the latest hockey geek tools at [www.elynah.com]

Re: Throwing things
Posted by: nr53 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 31, 2006 08:47AM

I agree not to throw stuff and think the cheer would be great. I see another use for clipboards though. Their function is to clip onto things (or rather have stuff be clipped onto them) so what if we clip a bunch of them to the top of the glass during warm ups and before the game in front of A and B. That and the chant would probably have a really good effect.

Posted by: ftyuv (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 31, 2006 08:56AM

Or, right before the coaches come out, just put a clipboard on the bench with a note stuck on, "Throw me. It helps." Is there any sort of rule against that?

Posted by: nr53 (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: March 31, 2006 09:27AM

I don't know if there's an actual rule, I would just personally avoid physically giving an opponent something. Mocking from afar is more my style (I'm quite the passive-agressive type:-D).

clipboards
Posted by: jtwcornell91 (---.loyno.edu)
Date: March 31, 2006 12:45PM

nr53
I agree not to throw stuff and think the cheer would be great. I see another use for clipboards though. Their function is to clip onto things (or rather have stuff be clipped onto them) so what if we clip a bunch of them to the top of the glass during warm ups and before the game in front of A and B. That and the chant would probably have a really good effect.

That's hilarious. I'm sure the ushers would make you take them down, though. If they even let you reach high enough up the seamless glass to clip them on.

Posted by: cth95 (132.198.175.---)
Date: March 31, 2006 01:46PM

I wrote that immediately after coming home from beer league hockey and its mandatory trip to the bar, so I was easily amused. drunk

I like the idea of hanging signs from clipboards and chants regarding clipboards.

Date: March 31, 2006 06:38PM

jtwcornell91
dog toys for Yale

What? When did this happen?

Posted by: RichH (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 31, 2006 06:41PM

nr53

How about attaching one on a string at the end of a long stick? Nothing does taunting better than something dangling over the glass on a pole. For years, there was a ref doll hangning from a noose that was pulled out in Section B for particularly poor calls.

Date: March 31, 2006 08:51PM

Will
jtwcornell91
dog toys for Yale

What? When did this happen?

It didn't, I was just making up something stupid.

Posted by: Dave (---.sbtnvt.adelphia.net)
Date: March 31, 2006 09:07PM

The referee doll was used from 1991 to 1995 and actually still exists. I used it from the front row of the balcony at Boston Bruins games until a couple of years ago. I almost brought it to the game against Harvard in Albany and it would have gotten plenty of use.

Posted by: Jerseygirl (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 31, 2006 10:01PM

I actually LOVE the dog toys for Yale idea. They could be collected and given to the SPCA. But then again I am a crazy dog person.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2006 10:02PM by Jerseygirl.

Posted by: Dave (---.sbtnvt.adelphia.net)
Date: March 31, 2006 10:54PM

As I posted earlier, the referee doll still exists. I have not brought it to recent games since I'm not sure it is welcome as it once was. For the best, behavior of the Faithful appears to have been cleaned up quite a bit since Schafer took over. While I still think it was funny the time the bear skated around the ice with the doll directly behind the referee when he came onto the ice before the third period, I'm not sure that would be welcome by coach Schafer.

I usually make it to the playoff tournaments, a handful of other away games and hopefully a few games at Lynah next year. I would like to get the opinion of others if the referee doll would still be welcome at games?

Posted by: Trotsky (---.frdrmd.adelphia.net)
Date: April 01, 2006 12:14AM

Dave
I would like to get the opinion of others if the referee doll would still be welcome at games?

Maybe, but it's so junior hockey.

We can do better.

Date: April 01, 2006 07:19AM

Trotsky
Dave
I would like to get the opinion of others if the referee doll would still be welcome at games?

We can do better.
What, like a referee mannequin? :-P

Date: April 01, 2006 04:50PM

Will
Trotsky
Dave

We can do better.
What, like a referee mannequin? :-P

How about a blow-up referee sex doll?

Posted by: Bio '04 (---.labs.win.psu.edu)
Date: April 03, 2006 04:28PM

RichH
How about attaching one on a string at the end of a long stick? Nothing does taunting better than something dangling over the glass on a pole. For years, there was a ref doll hangning from a noose that was pulled out in Section B for particularly poor calls.

Somebody did something similar with a Nemo pinata that was brought to the Cornell/Harvard ECACHL championship game this year.

Posted by: ninian '72 (---.ed.gov)
Date: April 03, 2006 05:03PM

Jerseygirl
They could be collected and given to the SPCA. But then again I am a crazy dog person.

Even better, to the companion animal hospital at the Vet School for overnight "guests."

Posted by: mtmack25 (---.lightlink.com)
Date: April 03, 2006 06:22PM

I havent seen a sheep in the crowd lately, either. Not as blatantly offensive.

I see Scott and McCutcheon as front-runners for the C. They will be our most exciting players next year, and they both seem to have great control on the ice. After all, example is part of leadership.

I think Bitz is more of the silent type, as someone previously suggested. Not sure about others like O'Byrne, Carefoot or Gleed.

Posted by: BCrespi (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: April 03, 2006 07:17PM

mtmack25
I think Bitz is more of the silent type, as someone previously suggested. Not sure about others like O'Byrne, Carefoot or Gleed.

Gleed is a senior, so I'd probably rule him out, but I'd agree with you otherwise.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login